Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: cormy Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 03:16 PM
just noticed sellers seem to be asking alot for the things they are selling on here anymore.
Used to be a place to get a good deal..??
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 04:04 PM
Hopefully this won't turn into another locked thread eventually, but I've had the exact same thoughts lately. Just something you notice, and not that I've been interested in any of the items personally.
Darin
Posted By: advertologist Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 04:22 PM
some things have been spiraling on here but are they selling?.. cool
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 04:29 PM
Maybe put a Limit of 5 Items per month in For Sale for each member.
I think JP should impose 10% Listing Fees on items starting @ $500 [& 15% for items less than $500 {for the FEW that would list @ $495}]. So whether that item sells for $500 or a week later @ $360 the Fee for listing here was $50.
There are SEVERAL that use OG to sell Their items that have NEVER Posted/Replied in any other Forum.
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 04:30 PM
I have to agree that some things are priced high on here. But I just let them pass and let them do as they please.
People can price stuff as they please doesn't mean they will sell. Just gives me a good chuckle as I pass over it!
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 04:30 PM
I have seen a TON of good deals lately.
Posted By: carson Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 04:32 PM
You know the old saying asking price and getting price are two different things..
Posted By: Gargoyle Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 05:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
There are SEVERAL that use OG to sell Their items that have NEVER Posted/Replied in any other Forum.

true dat
Posted By: Bbburke Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 05:26 PM
Old Gas is getting reputation for a good place to sell items. Its a catch 22. Everybody wants to be able to buy, sell, and trade on this site. But, that in turn, brings in dealers and pickers looking to take advantage.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 05:52 PM
I buy from OG preferentially over eBay as I can trust most members. I have not been disappointed. But many of the items I just pass over and buy when the time and price is right. The higher prices on some of the desirable (for me) items helps keep my wallet in my pocket. The items I have bought have been well priced I thought. Patience maybe required.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 06:30 PM
There is a difference between advertising items for strong money and over pricing an item. Lately, I have noticed average poor condition items being over priced. They are usually listed by new comers to the site. After a while they come to the realization that the membership here is a lot more experienced and informed then e-Bay.
Posted By: Dr Dave Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 06:57 PM
The "asking" price is a place to begin the negotiations, right? Please don't impose a transaction fee a' la eBay.
My 2 cents
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 07:07 PM
We all get that the "asking price" can only be determined by seller and the "selling" price is determined by seller and buyer.

This is more about sellers placing an unrealistic price on an item. When this happens, I do what most people do, and that is; I ignore the ad. We have all dealt with people that think their item is worth "X" amount of money because they saw it on TV.
Posted By: PLUM_72 Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 07:12 PM
The inflated prices seem to be everywhere. High prices bother me especially when item condition is questionable.
What can you do? Like someone said you chuckle a little and move on.
Price guides seem out of date by the time they are published. We are all guilty of the “I saw an item priced for X, mine is better so it must be worth X+”. The problem then compounds itself.
It just makes finding those good deals or good prices even that much better! The thrill is often the chase.
Posted By: TheCog Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 07:34 PM
Funny you brought this topic up because I was just thinking the same thing - right now. Some person wanting to sell adv. clock and basing bids for it from april 2007 worthpt. Oh brother... many ePay items ooc - some of which is listed here also. prices high everywhere. Maybe it is just a time for the green ? - "Top of the Market to ya.."
Instead of focusing and bringing up the negative, I would rather think about all the GREAT deals that I have not had the funds to be able to get and the fact that I can't wait for my recent Great buys to get to me!
Have a great day to all in Oldgasland!!
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 08:07 PM
And - Frankie's working OT finding us the stuff ! So yes why ? Just LOOK at his focus & concentration .

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Young's Union Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 08:27 PM
The old saying--- CASH TALKS!! Seems to help adjust asking prices many times.
Posted By: TJammer Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 08:30 PM
Sellers can price an item however they want.If its too high,it won't sell...especially around here.

Either they adjust their pricing, or they sit on it forever.
Posted By: cormy Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 08:33 PM
This was an observation for things on this site for sale. Don't really want to get into the price of the items in general.. whistle
Posted By: rustynuts Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 09:17 PM
I've noticed a few things. Also have seen some good deals come & go here.
Posted By: Ron Cabanayan Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 09:39 PM
The seller is the master of the offer. If it's a good deal, then it won't last for too long. If not, then it'll sit for a while until the price goes down. I don't have any issue with that. I trust OG members for their honesty and fairness.

There have been, and still are, some really good deals. Only thing is you have to be fast. Being on the west coast is a disadvantage to those nicely priced pieces posted on the east at 6am EST.
Posted By: ironheadtom Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 09:50 PM
I've been thinking some items priced a little high lately, ( ok maybe some astronomical) but also see lots of good deals. I have no complaints.. Seem to be a lot of good people with integrity here..
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 11:12 PM
I'm not rich by any means,but I'll pay a lot if its something I just have to have,especially if it's listed on here.
I prefer to buy from some on this site as it's more personal & you get knowledge & background about the item too from them,as well as make a new friend too.

Ebay is always good for a chuckle.
So many sellers on ebay are listing things today with a BIN price along with "or make me an offer".
When I submit an offer on ebay,9 X out of 10 they reply back that they want more then my offer cause they just saw a similar item to theirs bring X amount a week or so ago.
I say OK and move on,while I make it a point to watch the final bid on their item.
9 X out of 10,it never gets any bids at all and just gets re-listed again & again & again..
Posted By: bppierce Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Fri Jan 10 2014 11:57 PM

The OP was about prices in the For Sale section on OG.
I don't remember seeing Frank list anything for sale here.
Posted By: TC Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Sat Jan 11 2014 12:00 AM
I find most items are reasonably priced. What I find appalling is the price people put on porcelain signs that are all beat to hell, when they're in that rough shape, they're not worth ?#@! in my opinion. They should be used where they came from to cover rat holes in barns! Ted
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Sat Jan 11 2014 12:33 AM
Originally Posted By: TC
I find most items are reasonably priced. What I find appalling is the price people put on porcelain signs that are all beat to hell, when they're in that rough shape, they're not worth ?#@! in my opinion. They should be used where they came from to cover rat holes in barns! Ted

DANG, W/ Rats that big, it's gotta be the 2 legged Variety your referring to!
Posted By: jbrooks Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Sat Jan 11 2014 12:54 AM
I understand the point of this topic was specifically that stuff seems high on here lately so maybe this is still off the topic but...I sell a little bit on here and I would prefer to see a percent of every sale go to OG also.

I too can name several people on here that use this site as their personal free version of ebay, why shouldn't OG get something for providing all who use this site a piece of the sales?
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Sat Jan 11 2014 04:07 AM
I think I've sold every item I've listed on here except a couple, sometimes I can donate, sometimes I can't. No other forum I belong to charges fees to sell. I like it the way it is and if the prices seem high now they might correct eventually, otherwise the seller will figure out this isn't the place to sell. Asking prices are up everywhere.
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Sat Jan 11 2014 11:04 AM
OP needs to get out more and try to find signs for cheap. Spend $400 a month on gas going all over the place, pay buyers premiums at auctions, use up personal time ramming the road. How much is your time worth to you?

In light of these factors, you can see the hard work someone's been at to acquire some really great stuff and offer it up CONVENIENTLY to you on your computer here on OG. If you don't like a price don't pout because someone else might list a similar item a few weeks or a month later for less. And it's not these guys responsibility to drop prices to 10 percent profit for someone else to feel the price is cheap enough for them.

Well I'm off to Tom Mack car auction to go make some more good sales and finds. Maybe I'll find something to put up on OG... or just hold it for non-complainers at my next show in 2 weeks. Like the Pontiac used car sign I got yesterday. But that's another story.....
Posted By: Perdue31 Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Sat Jan 11 2014 04:26 PM
Well said Paul! Anyone anyone has a right to ask what they wish for an item, but in the end in this world weather it being an antique, collectable, T-shirt, car or whatever......An item is only worth what another man or woman will pay for it. END OF STORY
Posted By: cormy Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Sat Jan 11 2014 07:53 PM
OP needs to get out more and try to find signs for cheap. Spend $400 a month on gas going all over the place, pay buyers premiums at auctions, use up personal time ramming the road. How much is your time worth to you?

Wasn't really complaining..more making an observation. Yes we all know the "it's only worth what somebody will pay...blah blah". It's not just me others have noticed as well. It has to do with the changing demographic of the site. But that's been discussed plenty before.

You want me to pay for your time? laugh You obviously feel it's worthwhile and get satisfaction from using your time to hunt and buy. Drive to the moon for all I care..it's your decision to do such, so don't make us think we owe you for it!
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Sun Jan 12 2014 12:32 AM
If you can't value someone else's effort I really feel sorry for you. Please tell that to everyone from the cashier in the stores to the repairman who fixes your heat pump, think you'll get some pretty dirty looks don't you?

As for me, I appreciate all my customers because I know they are just like me, they had to use their time to earn a paycheck, salary, and they've chosen to spend some of that with me.

I love OG, not because of the sales I may get, but because there are many great people on here who really enjoy the hobby. If I didn't make a dime from being on here it wouldn't change my visiting and posting on this site.

Thanks to Jim we've got a great site so the many roads of this hobby can converge!
Posted By: Perdue31 Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Sun Jan 12 2014 02:12 AM
Cormy, That's very rude and disrespectful what you said about one's "time" aspect . If you cannot respect a man finding this stuff and bringing it to the market then I may say a prayer for you. I get tired of people on here always complaining about pickers and their prices. It is funny how no one on here respects the "newer" pickers and just "assumes" there in it for the money. Ever thought about some of us actually wanting to preserve America? Ever thought if it wasn't for pickers hitting the roads and finding items that the next gas pump you buy may have just sat on the farm and rusted away? Nothing in America is made like it used to be. I am so grateful every time I find a item and am able to bring it to the market and sell it to a very satisfied customer. Items are getting harder and harder to find and more and more.desirable everyday. Be thankful for the man 50 years ago who put a sign in his barn instead of hauling it off for scrap. If it wasn't for people like them, none of this would have stayed around and all be buried in the dirt, and then this hobby that we all enjoy would not be here
Posted By: Watchdog7 Re: Prices seem to be high for stuff here... - Sun Jan 12 2014 05:37 AM
KNOCK IT OFF WITH PERSONAL ATTACKS
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk