Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Skate Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 02:21 PM
Anyone have experience and tips on removing old vinyl overlay sticker from Fire Chief porcelain sign? Looks like slow tedious work to me. Thank you, Skate

Attached picture stenciloil 011.jpg
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 02:23 PM
Warm it up with a hair dryer and it should peal off. Just don't let the wife catch you using her stuff !
Posted By: Dr Dave Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 02:24 PM
From a porcelain sign, easy. Spray with Goo Gone (or similar) and wipe it all off!
Posted By: Skate Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 02:45 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I think her hair dryer is under lock and key from the last time I used it. Skate
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 02:56 PM
Laid a similar panel out in the lawn/sun here one summer day,and within an hour it all came off in 1 piece.
Posted By: 66phillips Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 03:28 PM
Paint stripper will remove it and not damage the porcelain.
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 03:35 PM
I used a heat gun on the lowest possible setting to allow it to peel off.Worked like a charm!
Posted By: T-way Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 04:33 PM
If you don't have a heat gun - it's time you did.

Once you have one, you'll find numerous uses for it.

Just slightly heat a corner and start peeling. Once you get to the end of the heat, you will be able to tell as the vinyl will stop coming off. Then just wave the heat gun over the next inch or so and go back to pulling.

The trick is to keep the end of the gun away from any skin! LOL

I'd suggest screwing the plate down before starting. This will make it easier to pull against and remove the possibility of grabbing onto an overly-warm spot.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 04:47 PM
LEAVE the sticker on, it's part of it's History. Easy enough to find a FIRE-CHIEF.
How many Others have one like it?
Posted By: BryceG Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 06:54 PM
if you dont have a heat gun... buy one. harbor freight has them for like $10. as mentioned above, they work well for anything plastic/vinyl that has adhesive, like stickers, decals, and especially car emblems!
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 07:22 PM
Good point. It will be collectable one day. Dave
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 07:40 PM
IF this was a pump w/ any patina, you'd be telling him to Keep it as original as possible!
Why go to a strip bar, when you know what is under the costumes?
Posted By: Skate Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 08:45 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Not sure if I should remove it or not now. Never seen this vinyl decal on any other sign. Wish it was in better shape. Got a feeling by looking at it, the porcelain may have been preserved by the decal. Might be mint. Tough decision. Definitely will get a heat gun for all the other uses mentioned by members. Thanks again. Skate
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 08:54 PM
You can get dead mint(NOS) ones anytime. Leave it as is. Get a mint one and display them both next to each other...
Posted By: TheGriffin Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 09:17 PM
I don't think those decals are hard to come by?

I've got a stack of them and the sky chief ones that are NOS. I've put some of them on tin and use for a cheap decoration in the shop:)
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 09:49 PM
Leave it as is and buy another plate
Posted By: Skate Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 09:51 PM
It is interesting to see the different opions and advice. You get a lot of good information from enthusiasts and experts all over the country. That is interesting about the stack of decals that are NOS. Thanks to everyone that has responded. Skate
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 10:30 PM
By installing one of his NOS Stickers on a FIRE-CHIEF Porcelain Pump Plate you are Re-creating what was done in the past. What you have is an Original Remanent from the Past.

Restoring a pump is Creating a Decoration. Displaying a pump as found is Preserving History.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 10:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
IF this was a pump w/ any patina, you'd be telling him to Keep it as original as possible!

Just has the most interesting ways of putting things!
Posted By: huskybob Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Wed Feb 12 2014 10:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
By installing one of his NOS Stickers on a FIRE-CHIEF Porcelain Pump Plate you are Re-creating what was done in the past. What you have is an Original Remanent from the Past.

Restoring a pump is Creating a Decoration. Displaying a pump as found is Preserving History.

That pretty well says it all.
Posted By: Vermonter Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Thu Feb 13 2014 12:55 AM

Why go to a strip bar, when you know what is under the costumes? [/quote]

I don't know. No matter how many times I see what's under there, it still seems like the first time.
Posted By: azjockey Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Thu Feb 13 2014 01:03 AM
Have a heart for history and be carefull with the heat gun peeling the 70s decal off, and then place it firmly on cardboard.
Someone else was a cake decorator when the put it on . They probably worked for texaco. Guess they didn't care for history.
All said and done its yours. Do as you please.
Keep the Vinyl cardboard, who knows .

Gene
Posted By: Skate Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Thu Feb 13 2014 12:55 PM
Interesting analogy about the strip bar. Haven't been to one in over 30 years, but faintly remember (seems like the beer was overpriced). We all love collecting, trading, buying and selling for fun and preserving memories and history. I already have a couple Fire Chief signs, so I will leave this one alone.
Thanks to all for the comments, opinions and advice. Skate
Posted By: Let er' Buck Re: Help Ideas for Removing Vinyl Sticker - Fri Feb 14 2014 02:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Vermonter

I don't know. No matter how many times I see what's under there, it still seems like the first time. [/quote]

LMFAO....

Not going to a strip club because you know what's under the costumes?
That would be like going to Baskin Robins for a Vanilla Cone when there are 30 other flavors to try! whistle guess some guys only notice the "costumes"...

Just like anything else it's your sign do what you want with it... smirk

Bob
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk