Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: indianrefining1931 "Original" INDIAN Pump on E-Bay - Mon Dec 12 2005 08:55 PM
See E-Bay Item number: 7204178301.

Nice. Take the shell (just the shell - no "guts") of an old Sinclair pump, add a couple of the repro INDIAN Gasoline plates and one of the B-S "fantasy" INDIAN globes, and pawn it off on E-Bay as an "original" INDIAN pump. And (at time of writing this) 8 suckers had already bid. Ah well - fools and their money!

------------------
Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: "Original" INDIAN Pump on E-Bay - Mon Dec 12 2005 09:02 PM
It is an original pump.....I don't see the insinuation that it was originally Indian...he says the signs have been replaced. You can nearly see the "Reproduction" on the globe in the picture. $350 for this pump is a good buy.
Posted By: indianrefining1931 Re: "Original" INDIAN Pump on E-Bay - Mon Dec 12 2005 09:15 PM
"Insinuation"? What do you mean "insinuation"? The first statement in the discription of the item clearly states "Original Indian Gas pump". He says that a previous buyer "couldn't come up with the money". Maybe the previous buyer woke up in time!

------------------
Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

[This message has been edited by indianrefining1931 (edited 12-12-2005).]
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: "Original" INDIAN Pump on E-Bay - Mon Dec 12 2005 09:40 PM
I just mean it's a matter of semantics. It is an original gas pump decorated in Indian. There are a lot worse scams than this on ebay.....I'm not giving the guy a free pass, but it's just doesn't seem like that big of a deal. It's not like he goes to great lengths to say the signs/globe are original. I guess he should've said, Original Bennett 766 Gas Pump decorated as Indian Gas. Like I said...this seems like a pretty mild case in relation to some of the things that occur on ebay. If someone buys this pump thinking the globe & signs are original (without asking the seller) they have more things to worry about, like how to tie their own shoes, how to chew food, etc.
Posted By: indianrefining1931 Re: "Original" INDIAN Pump on E-Bay - Mon Dec 12 2005 10:26 PM
Seth -

Point(s) taken. I'll get off my soapbox now. I guess I just have a tendency to "go postal" over any falsehoods involving Indian Refining Company - since that's one of the damn few things in life about which I know anything!

Just out of curiosity, though, do you know when Bennett started making their Model 766 pumps? If it was after 1943, that would add even more fuel to the fire about this being false advertising. Come to think of it, I might have to reconsider and demand that this guy be drawn and quartered. Or, at least, publicly neutered.
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: "Original" INDIAN Pump on E-Bay - Mon Dec 12 2005 10:32 PM
The pump is definitely post 1943....as to the neutering....I leave that up to you. Just for irony's sake, you should do it with a broken globe lens!!
Posted By: oil stuff Re: "Original" INDIAN Pump on E-Bay - Mon Dec 12 2005 11:04 PM
Broken globe lens???? Hay let JJ do it hes got those!!! LOL
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk