Is this a original sign?

Posted by: chevyman

Is this a original sign? - Sun Mar 16 2014 09:09 AM

Is this original? Ebay Item 301125221721

Thanks Randy
Posted by: Jay Leeper

Re: Is this a original sign? - Sun Mar 16 2014 09:20 AM

I would assume when it says "total production " that it would be a reproduction.
Posted by: wocopep

Re: Is this a original sign? - Sun Mar 16 2014 09:25 AM

Reproduction sign. When it said 50's, they meant 50 days ago
Posted by: Steven C.

Re: Is this a original sign? - Sun Mar 16 2014 09:45 AM

"that is all I sell is originals"
Not in this case!!!!
I wrote him to ask how he is coming up with that date.
I believe there was no more "black T" by the 50's. Is that not true?
It says right on it, "total production 650". That means they made 650 copies of this reproduction.
Posted by: carolinaskies

Re: Is this a original sign? - Sun Mar 16 2014 10:55 AM

If you look at his recent completed you'll see a mechanical bank he listed as "original not made in china" in the description. J.E.Stevens would have shot whoever made that ugly representation of the bank.
Posted by: Loyd Pierce

Re: Is this a original sign? - Sun Mar 16 2014 11:29 AM

Ok sign guys I don't think I have ever understood this. Yes its a reproduction I agree. Or is it reissue. How can a sign company like Stout reproduce signs without companies ok. Is the sign company logo copied also,making it super fake. Looks like Stout or Texaco would put a end to this. Being Texaco sells gas and not signs I can see where it would not bother them but maybe the sign company.Does no one care anymore that their logos are stolen, misused seems like it! Know makers of globes try and get companies blessing to reproduce logos. Why would a sign company not care that their logo is being used on signs they didn't produce?
Posted by: DWSheffer

Re: Is this a original sign? - Sun Mar 16 2014 11:36 AM

I think about this all the time I'm on Ebay Loyd.....in the case of my favorite brand, wouldn't Exxon/Mobil want to either A) put a stop to all this repro/fake junk using their trademarked Pegasus logo period, or B) send a cease and desist and tell the company or person manufacturing these items if they want to pay to use the logos, they can become a licensed seller and the oil company can make money off the items. When I see a lot of the junk out there, I would hope the oil companies wouldn't even sanction the use of logos on a high percentage of it!
BTW, I understand that the companies couldn't go after every Tom, Dick, and Harry that's throwing a decal on a clock and tell them they couldn't sell it, but there are A LOT of the same sellers on-line that list these items every week that keep producing them without licensing.
Posted by: Dave Richey

Re: Is this a original sign? - Sun Mar 16 2014 01:11 PM

He's very loose with his wording. Sells a John Deere mailbox as "only one available," yet has sold MANY of them if you check his completed listings.
Posted by: Dick Bennett

Re: Is this a original sign? - Sun Mar 16 2014 01:54 PM

OR this Cutout of a Well Head/lease sign;
It's all in the wording OR Lack of wording!
Listed by a member of OG [all about $$$$].

WE CAN'T FIX STUPID BUYERS or Enforce TRUTHFUL SELLERS.

IMO, Deceptive sellers should be Barred from listing items For Sale & Links to their items.

Re: Is this a original sign? - Sun Mar 16 2014 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
OR this Cutout of a Well Head/lease sign;
It's all in the wording OR Lack of wording!
Listed by a member of OG [all about $$$$].

WE CAN'T FIX STUPID BUYERS or Enforce TRUTHFUL SELLERS.

IMO, Deceptive sellers should be Barred from listing items For Sale & Links to their items.

Dick, are you saying this is an Oldgas memeber??

I got this response back from him when I asked how he was coming up with the date being the 50's.

I am going off of what the Antique dealer told me,would not think they would lie,i am going to call Stout Sign tomorrow to get the full scoop,and if the sign is not an original that they made for Texaco,i will remove listing and get me money back from the antique dealer. Thank You I'm finding that you sure have to be careful of what people are selling,lots of fakes,and that's not what I want to sell.

Re: Is this a original sign? - Sun Mar 16 2014 04:30 PM

Seller of the Item # I posted is a member
Posted by: cancollector

Re: Is this a original sign? - Sun Mar 16 2014 06:19 PM

Here is a sign I have been wondering about - is this original?: http://www.usedpei.com/classified-ad/Texaco-sign_20636255
Posted by: 63shelby

Re: Is this a original sign? - Sun Mar 16 2014 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: ANTIQUESPEI
Here is a sign I have been wondering about - is this original?: http://www.usedpei.com/classified-ad/Texaco-sign_20636255

very bad repo.
Posted by: Dave Richey

Re: Is this a original sign? - Sun Mar 16 2014 07:53 PM

I'm quite certain a company such as Stout made a limited number of the signs and were licensed by Texaco. This does not mean that they were made FOR Texaco. It is not an original sign; it is a REPLICATION of a Texaco sign (
re)produced in a size and marked in such a way as not to be mistaken for an original sign. The seller can worm words around any way they might wish to, but it does not change the authenticity of the sign. As for the link to this other one, one quick glance should tell you that it is as 63shelby stated, a "very bad repo."

Re: Is this a original sign? - Mon Mar 17 2014 08:02 AM

That is what I thought. When I first saw the ad I replied right away, wanting to know if they would take 150-175 for it or something for a trade. They replied back saying they would, but that they also had to add tax to it, and with the tax it would just go back up to $225 (haha). I took a second look at the sign after getting this reply and realized it didn't have a date on it or anything.

I have not bought any gas and oil signs yet, so that is why I am unsure.

Re: Is this a original sign? - Mon Mar 17 2014 08:15 AM

Kevin,
Your doing the right thing. If you are new to buying signs, surely ask first if you are not sure. Both of these signs you've asked about are repops, and you were questioning, so your being cautious and that is the best way not to get burned. As much as I hate to walk away sometimes, I also would hate to throw away good money on a fake. So stay cautious. Stay patient. The right ones will come along.

Re: Is this a original sign? - Mon Mar 17 2014 09:13 AM

Thank you Steve. I only posted the last Texaco sign (don't mean to steal the thread lol). But I have been wondering about it for awhile and very happy I finally asked about it, or I could have eventually ended up wasting my money on it.

Re: Is this a original sign? - Mon Mar 17 2014 09:34 AM

If you're looking for some starter signs to get you kicked off in collecting I'm sure a few of the Canadian members on OG can steer you in the right direction for places north of the border. Also, take some time to look through the OG BOTM(buys of the month) which will help your eyes start to see what real signs should look like.

Sadly there are many people who offer signs for sale and simply don't know what is and isn't real or don't care to find out and just offer something as authentic. Whenever they tell you it's real then make them show you honest evidence. I've heard all kinds of stuff from seller.. "My grandfather bought it, my Dad owned it, A guy I know said it was real" and many more, but such things aren't evidence. His grandfather could have bought it in the 80's!

Anyway... welcome to OG and enjoy the hobby!
Posted by: Highway66

Re: Is this a original sign? - Mon Mar 17 2014 09:43 AM

Totally fake.
Posted by: Dave's Garage

Re: Is this a original sign? - Mon Mar 17 2014 12:55 PM

These flakes with fakes are beginning to really annoy me!

Re: Is this a original sign? - Mon Mar 17 2014 01:19 PM

Thanks Dave and Darin for addressing my questions. It just really bothers me that there is so much of this stuff out there. I am totally convinced that anything goes on ebay with very little that will be done to curb the problem. Sad that at shows you can walk up on a whole booth of nothing but this type of signage.If I was a show host they would not be allowed to sell.

The second sign asked about is sold in the states by Hobby Lobby a good Christian Owner who is closed on Sunday,but only sells junk massed produced from overseas.

Thanks again not trying to high jack post, but its one thing to post fake and move along,and another to explain why its fake.
Posted by: chevyman

Re: Is this a original sign? - Tue Mar 18 2014 07:29 PM

He added this to the texaco sign on ebay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Mar-17-14 at 06:33:40 PDT, seller added the following information:
I've had lots of people inquiring the authenticity of this sign,i today,spoke with Keith @ Stout Sign Co,if you want to see the history of Stout signs founded 1866,largest manufacturer of metal signs for the likes of pepsi,Hires,& Texaco,this Texaco is one of their original signs,Keith will be getting back to me regarding the year this sign was produced. Thank everyone for their interest. Feel free to call keith (in operations) at Stout Signs (314)385-4600

Re: Is this a original sign? - Tue Mar 18 2014 08:32 PM

LOL.... really?

Re: Is this a original sign? - Tue Mar 18 2014 08:55 PM

Remake of an old sign designed for use Indoors as a decorator item. Painted tin will not last outside in direct sun.

Re: Is this a original sign? - Tue Mar 18 2014 09:18 PM

I know Stout did many drink and candy/cake signs, but true original Texaco rounds?
Posted by: roadrelics

Re: Is this a original sign? - Tue Mar 18 2014 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
I know Stout did many drink and candy/cake signs, but true original Texaco rounds?

NO, Stout did not make this Texaco sign ever..
Posted by: tomzcollectiblez

Re: Is this a original sign? - Wed Mar 19 2014 06:55 AM

Definately a repo!
I agree with Dick! These BAD sellers are making oldgas look bad by selling their junk on here and posting links to their repo's and cutout signs!
Richflfan is a member and definately knows better!
Some of these people have several accounts...
Also other members are HELPING them sell on here...
The BAD apples need to be stopped from selling on here!
Posted by: Cold Pizza

Re: Is this a original sign? - Wed Mar 19 2014 07:14 AM

The only thing worse then this misrepresentation of this sign,is the person selling it.
Posted by: texassignman

Re: Is this a original sign? - Wed Mar 19 2014 11:47 AM

Hello,
I am under richnflfan09 on ebay. I do not intend to misrepresent any sign.
There were already two items that I contacted the buyers on that I described incorrectly. The union products sign as well as the gas cap display. I did not know the union products sign was a cut out and I guess the gas cap display was actually from the 60's and 70's not the 40's.

I am not in the business of misrepresenting items. I stand by everything I sell and if you have any questions or concerns please contact me at (817) 229-1596
I will give a 100% refund from anyone that is not satisfied with anything I sell

Sincerely,
Chris
Posted by: Dave's Garage

Re: Is this a original sign? - Wed Mar 19 2014 12:04 PM

That's about as good as a guarantee gets. We all learn something new everyday.

Re: Is this a original sign? - Wed Mar 19 2014 01:18 PM

Texaco sign ebay listing ended-301125221721

Too much heat! Or some poor sucker fell for it!

Re: Is this a original sign? - Wed Mar 19 2014 01:42 PM

I sent a question to seller of UNION cutout & asked why edges were rough/chipped, several days before auction ended. Never heard back.
PayPal will refund 100% w/ postage Both ways.