Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 89sheepdog What is the rarest sign out there? - Mon Apr 21 2014 08:41 PM
What is the rarest sign out there? Anyone have a picture?
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Mon Apr 21 2014 10:43 PM
There are several & MOST will Never be posted on the internet.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Mon Apr 21 2014 10:45 PM
That's is about like asking who has the fastest street car. LOL
Posted By: TeeTee Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Mon Apr 21 2014 10:56 PM
The rarest sign is so rare it hasn't been found yet...LOL.
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 12:42 AM
I think people are afraid to post pics...Because repops will be coming out of India and Argentina .. A few days afterwards.
Posted By: JimT Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 12:48 AM
Red relics has got a killer lighthouse sign on ebay. I'd love to have that baby.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 12:57 AM
IF it's on ebay, it's for sale [maybe NOT to OG Members through!].
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 01:04 AM
"RAREST SIGN"---pretty broad generalization.
Do you mean the most expensive?
The best condition?
The one that there's only "ONE" of?
Or the one that no one has ever seen, but only "HEARD" about?

Generally, collectors equate value and rarity on the same plane, and they don't feel a one-of-a-kind sign is very rare, unless it has a lot of value?

Lots of variables here that could be debated for years with no conclusion.

I have a Cities Service sign that seems to never have been seen before and its priceless to me because a friend secured it for me! Is it the rarest of the rare? I don't think so, but a lot of collectors will never get to see it unless they venture to North Dakota!

I'm sure there are rarer ones though!
Posted By: JimT Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 01:10 AM
Its for sale,,,,,,but,,,,, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1920s-T...=item417f3cb1c5
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 02:11 AM
Just because it's listed on ebay for High $$$$'s doesn't make it worth that! It takes a few in Same condition that SELL to establish a worth.
Having 1 of 1 Known doesn't make it collectible or valuable.
Posted By: bustermonty Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 02:17 AM
Right Dick! I had a deal working to buy that for $850 along with all the others they had. He beat me to them. Talk about deep sea fishing.
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 02:35 AM
Im just talking about the bigfoot of signs like the one or few nobody has ever seen but only hear rumors of
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 04:48 AM
Mr. Firth hit it right on the nail. No sense bringing up something like this, you didn't even specify what kind of sign, petro, automotive, old farm, I could go on forever?

Basically it is as sign neither you or I own.

Jack Sim
Posted By: JimT Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 07:55 AM
Originally Posted By: bustermonty
Right Dick! I had a deal working to buy that for $850 along with all the others they had. He beat me to them. Talk about deep sea fishing.
Yes Gregg. That would be a great wholesale number. I would double or possibly triple that but that other number is red-iculous. Unless maybe you own the hotel and want to put it in the lobby,lol.
Posted By: Highway66 Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 01:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Keystone Gas Man
I think people are afraid to post pics...Because repops will be coming out of India and Argentina .. A few days afterwards.

Amen! Sad but very true.
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 02:59 PM
you never know who has what in their closet jack.
Posted By: Vermonter Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 07:01 PM
Intelligence
Posted By: eric grinder Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 07:10 PM
Im sure there are guys that have signs like you speak of. However they more than likely wouldnt be posting images of them on here for us to see..
Posted By: archer2 Re: What is the rarest sign out there? - Tue Apr 22 2014 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Vermonter
Intelligence

Now that's funny.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk