Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Wes Maxwell The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 01:35 PM
I just read on Facebook that another long time collector passed. I do not believe everything I read on Facebook but this looks like it is true. Deryl was another Sinclair collector. I met him at one of the shows back when I first started collecting. He was a good guy, normally went to the Peotone show and Columbia with Tom Buckels. He was also a car guy and a big fan of the Colts. Not sure if he posted on Old Gas or not. Another great collector and nice guy gone to soon.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 01:41 PM
Just seen that on Facebook also. 59 is way to young!
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 01:42 PM
Sorry to hear this.
My sincere condolences to his remaining family friends.
Posted By: mrcavalcade Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 01:48 PM
My sympathy to the family and friends
Posted By: bustermonty Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 02:00 PM
So sorry to hear this. I got to know Deryl from the Peotone show. Huge Colts fan is an understatement. My thoughts and prayers to his family and close friends.
Posted By: tbuckles Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 02:06 PM
I just got a call from his son Jordan that his dad passed away this morning. Deryl was a life long friend, we both grew up in Knightstown. He was a true Sinclair collector, his dad operated the Sinclair station in Knightstown in the 1940's. Many of you that attends the midwest shows will remember Deryl as he traveled me. He was having heart problems just last week and said he was going to go with me to the Dixie show no matter what, he will be with me in spirit, I will certainly miss him.
Tom.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 02:20 PM
So sorry to hear of Deryl passing. Tom hooked me up with him and I bought some cans from him. Heck of a nice guy.Every time I look at the cans I'll think of him.

Prayers sent for his family and friends.
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 02:28 PM
Sorry to hear about Deryl.
Prayers go out to the family
Dan
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 03:41 PM
I hate to hear this also of Mr Chew . May he rest in peace.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 04:23 PM
My sympathy and condolences to the family and friends.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 04:29 PM
Prayers and condolences from the Dschidas also.althought I did not know him,I bet I've seen him at the Peotone show.
Posted By: Tara Worsham Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 04:36 PM
I am in complete shock right now. A fellow collector sent me a text to tell me the news, and again I had to come here to see if it was true. Deryl was always one of my favorite people to see at Peotone and a truly wonderful person. Words cannot describe how sad I am to hear this news and how dearly he will be missed. Prayers going up for his family.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 04:39 PM
Prayers sent for his Family and Friends...
Posted By: st.rod Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 04:48 PM
Our thoughts are with his family

Larry Bieghler
Posted By: Alex Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 04:49 PM
He and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.....I hope it is not true that these things come in threes..Stay well, everyone
Posted By: thermactor Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 05:08 PM
I always looked forward to seeing Deryl at Peotone every fall and spring. What a nice and genuinely good person, and a great friend. I will miss him immensely, and will never forget the fun times Tara and I shared with Deryl. We will keep his family in our prayers.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 05:45 PM
Shocked to hear this. Deryl was a easy going guy I often saw at petro swap meets and enjoyed his many posts on Facebook.

Our prayers for his family and many friends.

Description: Deryl Chew
Attached picture deryl-chew.jpg
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 09:36 PM
Our thoughts and prayers
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sun Aug 31 2014 09:47 PM
I'm still reeling from the news about Dick Bennett, now this terrible news. I knew Deryl from the Peotone and Columbus shows. He was a really nice guy to visit with and very fair to deal with.
My condolences to his family and his good friend Tom Buckles.
Posted By: philmccauley Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Mon Sep 01 2014 12:45 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with the Chew family, also with Tom for losing a close friend.
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Mon Sep 01 2014 01:30 AM
Prayers to family and friends....
Posted By: texacokie Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Mon Sep 01 2014 03:10 AM
Sending prayers to the Chew family.
Posted By: garagejunkie Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Mon Sep 01 2014 12:55 PM
Prayers being sent from South Dakota
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Tue Sep 02 2014 03:02 AM
Man…sad to hear. Prayers go out to the family and him...
Posted By: J Sinclair Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Wed Sep 03 2014 11:42 PM
Sending our sympathies from Canada to Deryl's friends & family. From one Sinclair collector to another, it was indeed an honour to call Deryl our friend. We have met so many great people, in a very short time while attending the various shows throughout the USA. God bless and till we meet again! John & Judy Sinclair
Posted By: Oldgas Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Fri Sep 12 2014 07:18 PM
Those of you who knew Deryl Chew will be touched by this linked story about him. If you didn't know him, read it to get to know him a little.

http://ind.scout.com/story/1449430-deryl-chew-a-colts-life-well-lived?s=113
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sat Sep 13 2014 03:25 PM
Thanks for the link, Jim. That was a great read and tribute.
Posted By: redindianguy Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sat Sep 13 2014 04:02 PM
wow what an amazing story , my deepest sympathy to the family .
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sat Sep 13 2014 04:04 PM
Didn't know the man but if you're going to leave a positive impression with others it appears he did a fine job of it, didn't he! Thanks for the link.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sat Sep 13 2014 06:28 PM
Very well written. After reading it; Hard not to reflect on one`s own life and relationships with family and friends.
Posted By: advertologist Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sat Sep 13 2014 06:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Very well written. After reading it; Hard not to reflect on one`s own life and relationships with family and friends.

agree- RIP Deryl... cool
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sat Sep 13 2014 08:23 PM
Deryl was a GREAT guy! A fellow Colts enthusiast we ALWAYS stopped and talked to each other at the shows. He showed me his Colts banner and was VERY proud of it. He also retired from Ford and had a killer gran torino! I once found a porcelain sinclair sign at peotone. I bought it just before deryl seen it and he was upset because he didnt have it, So I gave it to him at cost because I knew he collected sinclair and would TRULY cherish it!
I can assure you THAT SIGN is still on his wall!!!
My Prayers and Sympathy to His Family and especially his son!
Tom Buckles, You were his Best Friend and he always spoke Sooo highly of you and your trips together picking and doing shows!!!
~RIP my friend~ You will be greatly missed!!!
GO COLTS!!!!!
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Sat Sep 13 2014 10:46 PM
I didn't know him but condolences to his family and friends. Remarkable article on him....
Posted By: tbuckles Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Mon Sep 15 2014 12:13 AM
Jim, thanks for posting the link to that story. That was great article about a true blue Colts fan and a outstanding person.

Deryl's celebration of life was today and I can't put into words how special it was, the crowd was huge and the stories were to be remembered. Wes and Tara made the trip over from Illinois, so good to see them there. Most everyone wore Colts jerseys but Tara and I had Sinclair t-shirts on, I know Deryl would have liked that.

Speaking of Deryl being a true blue Colts fan, check out the tag on a rather large bouquet of flowers. How many Colts fans receive a send off from the owner of an NFL team. If I wasn't already a Colts fan, I would be now!

Attached picture Deryl.Flowers.jpg
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: The passing of Deryl Chew - Mon Sep 15 2014 02:02 AM
That's pretty neat Tom. Also very nice of Wes and Tara to make the trip.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk