Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: moochinkebay does anyone know if this sign is real or fake? - Sat Sep 06 2014 07:28 PM
i cant find it anywhere on worth-point so i think that its a new reproduction.. just wanted to make sure otherwise i want it... any help is much appreciated.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271597254503?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Posted By: richlube Re: does anyone know if this sign is real or fake? - Sat Sep 06 2014 07:33 PM
fantasy sign
Fantasy, IMO...

Ken, beat me to an answer....
sign of subject... cool

Attached picture sigtkcar.JPG
thanks guys.. never seen it before...
Posted By: Gassman Re: does anyone know if this sign is real or fake? - Sat Sep 06 2014 08:48 PM
Made A few years ago by Vintage Concepts. vcsigns.com dated reproduction. Date can very easily be chipped off bottom of sign. So much for dated signs.
I think the manufactures of these signs should consider embossing (stamping) the date (or the word reproduction) into the steel blanks before starting the porcelain process. This would make it a little harder to remove.
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: does anyone know if this sign is real or fake? - Sun Sep 07 2014 04:06 PM
Due diligence is the only effective weapon against fakes being sold as real. I know it is easy to tell someone who asks a question to go buy books and catalogs, but isn't it just as easy to answer a question (as has been done so well and graciously in this thread)regarding authenticity? In the end it is "Buyer Beware" but it is also nice to see responses such at this one. As I tell my students, "If you need to ask a question, ask it. Probably 90% of the people in the room would ask the same thing if they didn't think they would be judged negatively by the rest of the students." I also learn when others learn. I also learn about others when they make disparaging, less than kind remarks to others.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk