Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: redindianguy buick sign - Mon Sep 22 2014 11:02 AM
is this real fellas ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221551760979
Posted By: wocopep Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 22 2014 11:18 AM
Good looking flange sign. Thats one of those signs I would have to have in hand to see what it looked like up close. I have never seen one before, but at a glance it looks good from the pics. Still could be a repop.
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 22 2014 11:21 AM
I wouldn't spend that kind a jingle on that without being able to hug it first. First impressions are good....but that's about all I can say on a sign I didn't know exsisted
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 22 2014 11:24 AM
The sign looks right but if you're unsure all you have to do is read the questions. Seller got 4 questions. All wanting to buy the sign off ebay.
A couple guys making low ball offers of $500 and $2500 hoping the seller didn't know what he had. Seller was smart enough to let the auction run. Sign is at $5300 with 4 hours left.
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 22 2014 12:44 PM
At least seller is letting it run... I believe the same way ...Let it run.
Posted By: advertologist Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 22 2014 01:15 PM
why the mounting holes in top of sign?... cool
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 22 2014 02:35 PM
I'm sure those holes in top were unfortunately drilled at some point over the years. Would not be surprised to see it double again in price before the hammer falls? GREAT piece! This is one of those signs you usually only see in the dealer sign catalogs and wonder "where did they all go".... Good luck if any of you guys are going after it!
Posted By: advertologist Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 22 2014 03:33 PM
hammer down: 12,900... cool
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 22 2014 03:35 PM
Hammer down at $12,900 - great sign!
Posted By: Highway66 Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 22 2014 03:38 PM
Those holes made me wonder too. WHOA! Serious dough was spent.
Posted By: Man Cave Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 22 2014 03:49 PM
I guess that would have been the dumbest move ever if they guy took the $500 offer.
Posted By: Bbburke Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 22 2014 04:03 PM
I know one of the offers was made by someone who isn't sure if it's real or not.
Posted By: gmstuff Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 22 2014 04:39 PM
Real deal sign!!!! Strong money!
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: buick sign - Tue Sep 23 2014 12:37 PM
Good strong auction.
I wonder if the seller knew it would bring around that much.
Regardless,good for them for not ending the auction early.
They were rewarded for it.
Posted By: advertologist Re: buick sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 08:39 PM
buick porcelain flange re-listed... cool

ebay # 221561858910

UP FOR AUCTION IS A SUPER RARE NEVER BEFORE SEEN BUICK ROUND FLANGE SIGN. THE SIGN MEASURES 20 BY 20 1/2 INCHES.THIS SIGN IS BEING RELISTED BECAUSE THE WINNING BIDDER WOULD NOT PAY FOR THE ITEM AFTER HE WAS THE WINNING BIDDER.
Posted By: Bbburke Re: buick sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 08:50 PM
I still think the bidding was rigged by the buyer. It jumped Double in a couple minutes.
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 29 2014 11:22 AM
A bid will increment like that if the top bidder's price is that much higher.

The privatizing of bidders is a bad thing because it's hard to check if they are a real buyer or simply schill bidding account.

The seller could have offered the piece as a second-chance-offer to the back up bidder but chose not to do so or was declined.
Posted By: Man Cave Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 29 2014 01:06 PM
The real bummer here is that if it was a legit DEAD BEAT BIDDER...odds are that it will not go nearly as high this time because buyers get nervous when relisted. Just my experience. I had a harley frame sell immediately for nearly 1,000 BIN and buyer hit the button...I had like 4 offers to buy when it was ended, and buyer would not pay the actual shipping, so I contacted all four offers...NONE took it...Just sold it again for 465!!! Took 8 months to resell.
Posted By: Bbburke Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 29 2014 01:33 PM
Carolinaskies. My view of it is the private bidder drove up the bidding at the last moment double. It seems to me that one could have looked at the bidding history and recognized that you had two people who really wanted the sign. They were both willing to pay whatever it took. So the seller jumped in with a private bid and drove it through the roof.
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 29 2014 08:56 PM
Bburke, you can have that view, but the reality is that bids can change like that normally without schill. If you understand the technology then it makes sense. It's just like having a sealed bid at an auction that is 10x higher than the last bid and getting another sealed bid higher than that.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: buick sign - Mon Sep 29 2014 09:09 PM
Pretty normal for auctions to bid up quickly the last five minutes on ebay, really last 5 seconds if someones using an auction sniper program. Too bad he had to relist it, sounds like he follows the rule of never accepting a "Buy it Now" offer on an auction, I have that same rule.
Posted By: advertologist Re: buick sign - Sun Oct 05 2014 08:28 PM
hammer down: $11,799.... cool

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221561858910
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk