Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: cbdeajr Which Color - Fri Jan 09 2015 04:05 AM
Getting ready to paint the skins for my pump. One of the doors has some waves in the sheet metal that would take a lot of body filler, more than one should use. I am planning a 2 tone paint job, Red and White. What I would like to know is which would be the best to color for the door. I know a dark color will hid some imperfections so I was thinking about the Doors Red and the body White. Anyone have a suggestion other that buying a new door skin.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Which Color - Fri Jan 09 2015 04:29 AM
Originally Posted By: cbdeajr
I know a dark color will hid some imperfections

IMO- the opposite, a lighter color will hide the imperfections... cool
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Which Color - Fri Jan 09 2015 05:17 AM
Personally, I like to use darker colors on the body and the lighter color on the doors.
Posted By: texacokie Re: Which Color - Fri Jan 09 2015 10:27 AM
Yeah the lighter colors hide the bad stuff.
Posted By: cbdeajr Re: Which Color - Fri Jan 09 2015 10:49 AM
Thanks, I guess I had it wrong on the color. Its nice to be able to ask people who know and have done what you are trying.
Posted By: JimT Re: Which Color - Fri Jan 09 2015 11:07 AM
What make/ model pump are you working on?
Posted By: petro & rodz Re: Which Color - Fri Jan 09 2015 11:29 AM
Dark colors will definitely show more imperfection.So I would highly recommend using colors such as white expecially if metal work not great. May
be possible use large decal, sign etc if possible.
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Which Color - Fri Jan 09 2015 03:27 PM
All of the above answers are correct. It might be advantageous to take a little more time to correct the imperfections on the door? I find that I "always" see the bad body work. If it takes a gallon of mud to correct the door, so be it. I think you'll be much happier in the future, instead of being disturbed by the final finish? Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: cbdeajr Re: Which Color - Sat Jan 10 2015 05:41 AM
It's a Tokheim 300
Posted By: cbdeajr Re: Which Color - Sun Jan 11 2015 10:37 AM
Paul, You are right. I went back and started filling in and it does "feel better" knowing that I am doing as good as I can. In my old age I guess I am starting to get the attitude faster not better.
Posted By: hemigolf2009 Re: Which Color - Thu Jan 15 2015 01:50 AM
I just restored a wayne 100 that had some filler in the doors and isn't noticeable at all. I had the doors painted white which helped also. Hope this helps your decision, Tim
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Which Color - Mon Jan 19 2015 12:34 AM
Black is the worst color for hiding bad body work, light is the best. You see almost every imperfection on gloss black. It's not a small difference either it is pretty dramatic, although I agree with gasman, if your looking you can see bad bodywork on any color, but with dark colors it just jumps out at you!
Posted By: PLUM_72 Re: Which Color - Mon Jan 19 2015 06:22 PM
Buy a quart of Slick Sand through your local auto paint supplier or a online place like Eastwood. Slick Sand is a HEAVY primer/filler. Apply as per the tech sheet. Only spray it on the bad areas, then block sand it smooth. This will help to level out the waves. Once its to your liking, prime again with a normal primer or sealer, then your favorite paint.
Posted By: cbdeajr Re: Which Color - Tue Jan 27 2015 09:37 PM
Did a lot of sanding and filler. Now going to epoxy primer and a single stage auto paint. Doors white remainder of the body in bright red Mobil globe and decal on doors. Just waiting till it warms up more outside so my heater does not have run constantly. Forecast looking better late next week. Would like to THANK everybody for your help and suggestions on my first pump.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Which Color - Tue Jan 27 2015 10:22 PM
Post a picture when it's done please. Would like to see it.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Which Color - Tue Feb 03 2015 09:02 AM
Good luck with it cb. I've been having problems with the cold lately too, especially with the catalyzed primers not curing properly in the cold. I've been using heat lamps a lot and I bought a $30 laser temperature gauge from harbor frieght, I check the panels are warm enough before I get going now. Seems like it's helping. Hopefully your primer will have a chance to cure so you don't have paint shrinkage when your done, it's really irritating, because you think you have a great paint job then a week goes by and its shrunk up!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk