Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Jarvis Chevrolet neon clock - Mon Mar 16 2015 12:33 AM
What do these sell for?
What I'd a fair price to pay? I think I might want one. LOL
Posted By: advertologist Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Mon Mar 16 2015 12:41 AM
IMO- 900. / 1300. ... cool
Posted By: BryceG Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Mon Mar 16 2015 12:44 AM
ive been shopping for the right one for over a year... there are TONS out there, and it seems like the there have been 4-5 in auctions in the past 2 months. problem is, all have issues... repainted, poor shape, dull neon, etc.

Randy is correct for a good condition one.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Mon Mar 16 2015 12:54 AM
clock of subject:... cool

Attached picture IMG_1431[1].JPG
Posted By: Tankar Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Mon Mar 16 2015 12:55 AM
Randy's right on price.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Mon Mar 16 2015 01:11 AM
Nice randy. So that is why the pricing is all over is do to condition? So does a Repaint body affect price? What about neon?
Posted By: BryceG Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Mon Mar 16 2015 01:26 AM
John... i think that differs with each person. To me, any alteration from original affects the price in some way. Repaint can bring it down a lot or a little depending on how it was done. As of late, I have seen some really poor repaint jobs.

The neon being replaced seems to bring down the price a tiny bit, but to me thats not as big of deal... as the ones with original neon tend to be not very bright and somewhat 'dull'.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Mon Mar 16 2015 01:33 AM
Originally Posted By: advertologist
IMO- 900. / 1300. ... cool

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-NEON-C...=item2c95494890

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1950s-Chevrolet-Neon-Dealership-Clock-NO-RESERVE-/271785509529

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Chevrolet-Dealer-Neon-Clock-Lot-208-/181674918274

of the 3 that recently sold on ebay none of them, IMO
would be in the 900. / 1300. range... cool
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Mon Mar 16 2015 01:57 AM
Thanks randy. I did see them... But after they ended. I decided to look for a clock after peotone trip. LOL
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Mon Mar 16 2015 09:51 AM
These clocks are reproduced and the dealers plate on yours does not look correct to me. I really don't pay attention to them......just a heads up
Posted By: chevyll Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Tue Mar 17 2015 01:28 AM
Yes the dealer plate is not correct, I bought a nice one at Millers auction for 700, The next auction one in about half the condition brought 1000.00,
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Tue Mar 17 2015 02:53 AM
As Bryce has indicated, finding a really nice untouched original is very tough. I have two of these clocks and one is a near mint original. As for price range, I think the prices quoted above are in line for above average/good clocks. I believe exceptional examples would be more in the $2,000-$2500 range. I know I would not sell mine even at those prices. It took me 25 years of upgrading to get one this nice smile. Most clock collectors base the value of a clock on the quality of the face first and foremost. Second, would be outside/case appearance. Then you get it original glass, original neon, even original cord is important to many. One other thing to keep in mind, if you want one with the dealer plaque, even though repros of it are available, it's difficult to make a new plaque look correct on an original face that is sixty years old. Good luck hunting, they are great clocks!
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Wed Mar 18 2015 09:22 AM
Hi Jarvis,

I've restored and sold three chevy lackner clocks over the years, complete restorations with new glass, face, clock mechanism. Mine have sold for about $1400-$1500. Parts to restore these aren't cheap, easily spend $350 or more in materials.

Each one of these had faces that were beyond repair. Now that I know these clocks I'd pay extra for a nice original face, everything else less concerned about. Keep in mind that sometimes the insides have never been opened and the printing inside is very fragile / powdery. Just trying to clean it a little can destroy it. Did a oldsmobile lackner and ended up putting a light coat of clear on the face to save it.

Last clock I did a pretty good job replicating the dealer plate font and writing, if anybody needs that I think I have it squirreled away somewhere. I used blue vinyl but it would be better to make a vinyl stencil, paint it blue and sprinkle some glass bead on it.

I do think these clocks are way way cool. I doubt I'll try to restore and sell again, too much work. Be fun to collect all the different versions, Buick, etc.
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Wed Mar 18 2015 09:57 AM
I believe there were 4 of these clocks at Mason dixon show. 1200-1400 price tags. Readily available clock if you want one.
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Wed Mar 18 2015 10:37 AM
The really good ones are 1400 for sure . A guy had one at Carlilse in the fall , 100 percent original . He was 1600 firm and it sold . IMO the all original ones are worth the extra juice all day long .
Posted By: drafter Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Thu Mar 19 2015 10:05 AM
I have one that I purchased 2 years ago for $1150. It is a very nice original and is from a town about an hour away from me. These clocks have been in the $900 to $1500 range, depending on condition, seems like for the last 15 to 20 years. At least that's what I've seen.
Posted By: drafter Re: Chevrolet neon clock - Tue Mar 24 2015 10:20 PM
I gave $1150 for mine 2 years ago plus it was local to me here in Virgina. It's totally original and nice shape considering the age. They have been in the $900 to $1400 range for a long time.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk