Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Oldgas Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Sat Sep 27 2008 04:06 PM
This forum for Non-Petro buying, selling and wanted items

This forum is intended for active community member collectors to post pre-1970 Non-Petroliana items for sale and wanted from the following interest areas:
Vintage Advertising
Country Store
Gameroom
Automotive-Transportation

We don't want this to be a wide open flea market, so please NO unrelated items or items newer than 1970. No commercial vendors inventory or illegal items. We will fine tune this as we go.

* New Members are restricted from posting New Topics in the For Sale forums until they have demonstrated knowledge of the forum and how our online community works with their posts. After 4 such posts, including posting a photo, new members may request an upgrade to regular privileges.

The Guidelines from the For Sale Petroliana forum also apply here, except for the special Non-Petro differences, of course. Please read those Guidelines and follow them.
Posted By: Alex Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Mon Sep 29 2008 03:06 PM
Hey Jim. you might want to "lock" your message at the top of the column so people see it and it doesn't get buried.
Posts that criticize the condition or price of the item will be deleted.
If you don't like the price or the item, pass on it or send the seller a PM or email.
Posts that are "off-topic" and not directly related to the selling of the item will be deleted.
quick question - do highway signs belong here? I've always thought route markers were petro-related (at least, a lot of petro guys like to buy them from me!) but if not, please let me know, so I can post my signs for sale in the correct location.

thanks!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Thu Apr 21 2011 02:50 PM
Highway signs are in a somewhat gray area. They are definitely not petroleum, auto service or gas station related, but they do show up at petroliana specialized swap meets. Some petro guys do collect and display them. I get a few complaints about highway signs in the petro For Sale forum, but there are other members who don't care.

Since you ask, we would prefer highway signs to be in the Non-petro For Sale or Showcase forums. That's the reason the Non-Petro For Sale forum was set up to enable trading all those "kind of related" things like soda & beer collectibles, classic car items, general store and gameroom items. Other roadside collectibles like motel & diner, highway signs and Route 66 memorabilia are all welcome there.
thanks for the answer!

I'll list highway signs in the non-petro area from now on.
Posted By: Ed J Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Fri Sep 16 2011 08:09 PM
Hi Jim:
I have a number of collectible (Oil Company) promotional items I'd like to post for sale such as cars, airplanes etc. Can these items be posted in this forum?
Thank you.
Ed
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Tue Oct 04 2011 03:09 PM
Ed,
Sorry I didn't see your question right away.

Yes, gas station promotional toy cars, airplanes and other related promo items may be posted here for sale.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Mon Jan 28 2013 02:23 AM
Edited Guidelines in the first post of this topic to state that Non-Petro For Sale items are to be at least pre-1970 or older.
Hi:

I'm a rookie here so I wanted to run this past you before I posted. I have 1978 Ford Explorer pick-up plastic promo pin to sell. Are you ok with that.

Thanks,

JP
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Tue Mar 26 2013 06:31 PM
Hi LuvOldChevs,

Our definition of petroliana for inclusion in "For Sale or Trade Petroliana" forum includes "auto service and auto dealership signs" but not all the other auto collectibles.

In this "Non-Petro For Sale, trade or Wanted" forum, we are trying to limit items to pre-1970 in the "Vintage Advertising, Country Store, Gameroom, Automotive-Transportation" interest areas.

Hope you understand that we are trying to refine this forum category to only older items and a cut-off date had to be set. So items in those interest areas mentioned that are pre-1970 are encouraged, while items newer than 1970 are discouraged. I recommend offering your 1978 item on eBay instead.
Thanks. I'll sell it elsewhere.
Have just joined this site and understand the need for a cut off date on items. I have a very unique item that is 1973 and involves Indycar racing. It is the wickerbill from the No. 77 car that Salt Walther crashed at the start of the race. It is a historical piece that some of your members might like to add to their garage or shop collections. Wanted ask first before offer it. Thanks ~ Indy
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Sun Oct 27 2013 01:27 PM
The "Non-Petro For Sale" forum category was intended to be a place where active petroliana collectors could buy or sell items that were not really petroliana, but were within the limited list of items in the Guidelines.

In recent years, we have had an influx of new members who were not petroliana collectors. They used the category to sell unrelated items that could be found in a flea market or garage sale. After many complaints, the limitations on items to be offered for sale were tightened up.

Your item is probably cool in the auto racing memorabilia hobby, but we have drawn a line for age and interest areas in this forum. Sorry that your item is not within the limitations shown in the Non-Petro Guidelines.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Tue Aug 12 2014 08:18 PM
Updated the Non-Petro For Sale Guidelines to include the For Sale Petroliana Guidelines, except for the Non-Petro special differences.

So please follow the same rules on limited bumping, required pricing and no criticism of pricing as in the For Sale Petroliana forum.
I have a circa 1970's American Motors Security Officer badge from the Kenosha plant that I would like to trade for two police related license plates...would that be OK to post in this category? (If so-how do I find the page to list this? I am still learning computers, and so far, I do not see how to list something...sorry!)
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Wed Oct 01 2014 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Kentucky Colonel
how do I find the page to list this? I am still learning computers, and so far, I do not see how to list something...sorry!

Hi Colonel,
In the Welcome email you got when you joined the forum and in the For Sale Guidelines, you'll find our policy about new members posting for sale items:

"New Members are restricted from posting New Topics in the For Sale forums until they have demonstrated knowledge of the forum and how our online community works with their posts. After 4 such posts, including posting an image, new members may request an upgrade to regular privileges."
Posted By: hawkike Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Mon Nov 01 2021 08:44 PM
Jim,remember the souvenir pack burros/donkeys from different states,50's era? I have some Arkansas-New Mexico,Ca. Allowed for sale?
Thanks.

Attached picture DSCN1414.JPG
Attached picture DSCN1415.JPG
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Tue Nov 02 2021 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by hawkike
Jim,remember the souvenir pack burros/donkeys from different states,50's era? I have some Arkansas-New Mexico,Ca. Allowed for sale?
Thanks.

Those are kind of strange, Frank. But they are "transportation" and are old enough. So what the heck, post 'em.
Posted By: hawkike Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Tue Nov 02 2021 01:38 AM
Thanks Jim,i agree they were sort of "transportation"!
Posted By: GILMORE Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Thu Feb 10 2022 08:34 PM
Re: http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=774989#Post774989

Leather jackets/vintage clothing now. I guess it it is Non-Petro, but aren't there enough other sites for these people to sell there stuff on?
Posted By: Heber Richins 1940s to 1950s Coca-Cola machine - Tue Jun 14 2022 12:49 AM
I am looking for a vintage Coca-Cola machine from the 1940s or 1950s to hold my vintage glass soda bottles. Right now im keeping them in my vintage Manitowoc Sub Zero Freezer that doesnt run but it works to store them in, the problem is that you have to close the doir hard which makes the Manitowoc shake and vibrate a little, making me nervous that the soda bottles will fall over and break. Ive been lucky so far but i have a feeling one of these days their going to fall over and break.

I do not want to spend any more than 200 to 300 dollars. The machine doesnt have to run, just as long as i can open and close the door on it.

I live in Southwest New Mexico down in the bootheel, so if anyone has a extra Coca-Cola machine or know where i can get one please let me know.

Attached picture Vendo-81-Coke-tn.jpg
Posted By: SWABBY Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Wed Apr 26 2023 02:01 PM
Jim....I have roughly 20-25 pr of vintage (1930-1960 ) eye glasses. Do these qualify under 'general store' items??.
can I post them for sale in this. 'non Petro' section??> thanks Warren
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Wed Apr 26 2023 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by SWABBY
Jim....I have roughly 20-25 pr of vintage (1930-1960 ) eye glasses. Do these qualify under 'general store' items??.
can I post them for sale in this. 'non Petro' section??> thanks Warren

That's kind of stretching the limits, but since you are a member active in Petroliana it'll be OK.
Posted By: SWABBY Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Fri Apr 28 2023 02:12 PM
Jim....I have 23 pr of old style eyeglasses...These are from the 1930-1950's. Do they
qualify for ;general Store' items??/. can I post them for sale under this heading??> Thanks
warren
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Fri Apr 28 2023 04:45 PM
Warren,
My previous answer was , Yes it's OK.
Posted By: SWABBY Re: Non-Petro buying and selling Guidelines READ FIRST - Sat Apr 29 2023 02:56 AM
Jim...Roger...thanks ..I will put them on in a day or two..Warren
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk