Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: tictoc How Do I Bend a Porcelain Sign? - Mon Dec 04 2006 04:22 PM
In restoring a Tokheim 620 visible, I would like to mount a reproduction 12" Texaco Porcelain Sign to the round skins.

What is the best way to bend/form the flat porcelain sign such that it will mount smoothly on the rounded surface of the skins?

Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: How Do I Bend a Porcelain Sign? - Mon Dec 04 2006 04:33 PM
Buy Decals. Try to put a porcelain sign on a Tok 620 and you'll end up porcelain in your eye.
Posted By: travis_towle Re: How Do I Bend a Porcelain Sign? - Mon Dec 04 2006 04:47 PM
I wounder if anyone makes silk screened signs like the unleaded and others - they would work GREAT for rounded pumps! Decals work - but decals look like decals!

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: How Do I Bend a Porcelain Sign? - Mon Dec 04 2006 05:16 PM
Gas Pump Heaven makes a Contains Lead that is aluminum & screened, but that is the only one I know about. There are some oil & gas tin signs available but are worse looking than a decal in a pump application.
Posted By: T-way Re: How Do I Bend a Porcelain Sign? - Mon Dec 04 2006 05:21 PM
Get a normal Texaco decal from any of the suppliers and have it mounted onto magnetic material. The magnetic material can be found at any 'sign shop' in your area. They should also be happy to do the mounting/trimming for you (for a fee of course).

The magnetic material will conform to the curvature of the pump. As an added bonus, the thickness of the magnetic material also makes the decal look like a porcelain sign.

This is especially true if you purchase one of our decals since ours have a nice shine to them that is not found on normal silk-screened decals.

Later . . .

Jim

Always buying Ethyl Globes, Ethyl Single Lenses & Misc Ethyl Items.
Posted By: sslick68 Re: How Do I Bend a Porcelain Sign? - Mon Dec 04 2006 10:08 PM
I have a correct measure pump with round skins and I put porcelain shell signs on it and they didnt chip a bit.I used a a pipe with the same roundness and slowly bent the sign.I threw them in the oven for a while to see if there was a difference and maybe a little but I would not do them when cold for sure.

------------------
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: How Do I Bend a Porcelain Sign? - Mon Dec 04 2006 10:16 PM
i was able to bend a round porcelin sign for my wayne 615.i used a sheet metal roller that i have.it worked well,but i dont think i would try it on a nice original,cause you just never know.
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: How Do I Bend a Porcelain Sign? - Mon Dec 04 2006 10:20 PM
Why doesn't someone make rounded lead signs and various other rounded pump plates for our visibles? I've been keeping an eye out over the years figuring someone would offer them sooner or later.

Mike
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: How Do I Bend a Porcelain Sign? - Mon Dec 04 2006 10:41 PM
Do as T-way suggest. Grind the screws off the HEADS & apply a small drop of silacon or hot glue to hold the head on your decal [will look like your decal is SCREWED ON].

Most porcelain signs can be bent slightly 1 time.
Lay edges on 2 2x4's, then cover with 1/4 plywood, STEP on it. Should give you just enough bend to attach to a round pump.
db
Posted By: leswarner Re: How Do I Bend a Porcelain Sign? - Tue Dec 05 2006 01:55 AM
I was able to bend Shell porceain enough to install on my Tokhiem 300s which have a slight curve,like all of the electric pumps. It would have been great if they could have put mounting holes on the sides. As it is there are two on the top,and one on the bottom. Les Warner
Posted By: dodogas Re: How Do I Bend a Porcelain Sign? - Tue Dec 05 2006 08:30 AM
Mike Smith, it is because the radius changes. From about 8 inch dia on a stovepipe pump to about 24 inch dia on a Wayne 777. Also top to bottom ..look at a G&B visible or a Fry..
Posted By: tictoc Re: How Do I Bend a Porcelain Sign? - Tue Dec 05 2006 07:25 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll try to use some of the suggested techniques in an attempt to bend the porcelain sign. (It's a repro so if it breaks it breaks -- and hopefully I'll keep from getting glass in my eye!). Failing that, I'll revert to a decal. Thanks again for the help.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk