Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: texaspelican help...rust stain removal - Sat Nov 11 2006 01:07 PM
Before I go buy a bunch of different products.....what is great at removing rust stains and streaks from porcelain signs?
Posted By: Alex Re: help...rust stain removal - Sat Nov 11 2006 02:21 PM
I have had good luck with "Bartender's Friend" or Bar-Keeper's Frend. (Can't remember the exact name. It is by the Comet at the grocery store. Be gentle and have patience. Test an small area before going crazy. Have used WD-40. 0000 steel wool. Again, be gentle and take your time. I am sure others will chime in.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: help...rust stain removal - Sat Nov 11 2006 02:29 PM
ive had great results with "the works"toilet bowl cleaner in a spray bottle.dont know about where you are at but i can buy it for a buck a bottle at the dollar store.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: help...rust stain removal - Sat Nov 11 2006 02:32 PM
WHILE I'VE TRIED THE BARKEEP'S FRIEND, I'VE HAD BETTER SUCCESS WITH SOFTSCRUB W/BLEACH. LAY THE SIGN FLAT AND POOL IT UP NICE AND THICK (MODERATELY) AND LET IT DO IT'S THING OVERNIGHT. TAKE SOME 000 OR 0000 STEEL WOOL AND DO A LITTLE AT A TIME TESTING THE RUSTED AREAS. I'VE HAD THE SAME CAN OF BARKEEP'S FRIEND FOR YEARS AND STILL GO THROUGH BOTTLES OF SOFTSCRUB W/BLEACH ON A REGULAR BASIS. SPEAKING OF COURSE FROM MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCES.

~DOC.TAG.W
Posted By: r49th Re: help...rust stain removal - Sat Nov 11 2006 03:20 PM
3m rubbing compound

------------------
ROD [Mich.]
Posted By: Alex Re: help...rust stain removal - Sat Nov 11 2006 07:15 PM
A plethora and multiude of options.
Posted By: sslick68 Re: help...rust stain removal - Sat Nov 11 2006 10:02 PM
What rust! What stains! LOL 3M rough compound with a wool pad works wonders for myself but the stuff is expenso!Hope you like the barn hangers!Steve

------------------
Posted By: texaspelican Re: help...rust stain removal - Sat Nov 11 2006 10:38 PM
Wow thanks!!!!!!first I will buy the stuff from Dollar general....gee I think I can afford a buck....then will try the other stuff....Steve....barn hangers will come to me when Joey comes back to see his dad in Feb.......rust stains are on a nice sherwin williams cover the earth sign....Has a few little nasty spots.....thanks to everyone for the info......this is a great site!!!!!
Posted By: richburris6 Re: help...rust stain removal - Sun Nov 12 2006 12:25 AM
We use Zud, you can get it at your local grocery store and looks a lot like comet. It has a bunch of bleach in it among other things. It is a powder, just sprinkle heavily on the area and add enough water to make a paste. Rub it around with your fingers and be patient and the stain will go away with no damage to the sign. Only use this on porcelain as it will damage painted signs very badly.

Rich B
Posted By: tbuckles Re: help...rust stain removal - Sun Nov 12 2006 12:45 AM
As Doc said I too have great luck with Soft Scrub w/bleach but I use a brass wool pad instead of steel, comes in the same grades as steel but it is brass. The steel can leave gray streaks. There is no way you will harm the porcelain with brass. The brass wool pads can be hard to find. I get mine from McMaster Carr out of Chicago.
Tom.
Posted By: Pablo Re: help...rust stain removal - Sun Nov 12 2006 03:43 AM
For rust stains on porcelain signs, I use Turtlewax rubbing compound (any brand will do) with steel wool. I've found that if this method won't take it all off, the remaining stain won't come off without ruining the gloss.

My 2 cents.

Paul
Posted By: thermactor Re: help...rust stain removal - Sun Nov 12 2006 04:07 PM
I've had excellent luck with Nev-R-Dull cotton wadding. It takes rust stains and streaks off porcelain really well, and polishes and waxes the surface at the same time. Just buff with a clean cloth afterwards. No damage to porcelain in my experience.

I know Auto Zone sells it. It's in a tin can that's the diameter of a quart can but shorter.

Wes
Posted By: thermactor Re: help...rust stain removal - Sun Nov 12 2006 04:27 PM

[This message has been edited by thermactor (edited 11-12-2006).]
Posted By: HarleyAntiques.com Re: help...rust stain removal - Sun Nov 12 2006 08:06 PM
Hi I use Oven-Off spray on wipe off
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: help...rust stain removal - Sun Nov 12 2006 08:26 PM
OH, REALLY? AND DO YOU COOK FOOD IN YOUR SIGNS TOO! LMFAO!

~DOC.TAG.W
Posted By: leonardoil Re: help...rust stain removal - Sun Nov 12 2006 09:16 PM
Be very careful as I had a friend that said he could get them off and he tried some stuff he praised and it didn't do the job.He then went to town got some product for porc bathroom cleaning,he called me and said it came right off.He brought the sign over and laid it on my floor and it looked great,until I looked at it on a angle.It took the stains out,but took the shine away also.
Jim
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: help...rust stain removal - Sun Nov 12 2006 09:54 PM
THAT WOULD BE A PRODUCT CALLED C.L.R. (CALCIUM LIME RUST) OR SIMILAR AND YES IT DOES DULL THE PORCELAIN TAKING AWAY THE SHINE.
USED IT ON A 1932 3' X5' PORC COKE SIGN THAT WAS ALL OVER RUSTY AND HAD ACID RAIN MARKS ON IT AS WELL. I FIGURED WHAT DIFFERENCE WOULD IT MAKE ANYWAY. I EVENTUALLY COATED THE SIGN WITH A CLEAR MARINE POLY. I DIDN'T CARE, THE SIGN WAS A LEFT OVER IN AN AUCTION AND THE DEALER WAS PRACTICALLY GIVING IT AWAY SOME 20 YEARS AGO FOR $50! GOTTA LOVE IT!

~DOC.TAG.W
Posted By: kmann Re: help...rust stain removal - Mon Nov 13 2006 12:08 AM
clean em' don't wreck em'.... you just might want to sell them down the line....
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk