Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Steven C. 50's Amoco counter top display - Sat May 02 2015 11:44 PM
I saw this Amoco counter top display at an antique show. It was beautiful. Even NOS although I don't really like to use that term. And if I had taken a picture of the back, you wouldn't doubt it's authenticity. The back side, although still in darn near perfect shape, did show a little age.
I was thinking more like $300-$400.
Guy had it priced at $800.
Seemed quite high to me but I just wondered where old gas would price it.
That's just some other wood sign it's leaning against.

Attached picture IMG_20150502_155136_186.jpg
Posted By: chevyll Re: 50's Amoco counter top display - Sun May 03 2015 08:19 PM
He offered it to me at 600
Posted By: Steven C. Re: 50's Amoco counter top display - Mon May 04 2015 07:57 AM
Wow, you came all the way from Wi. for that show?
So I take it you didn't buy it?

I wish Dan (Circa Designs) would chime in. I know he's a big Amoco guy. Just curious what he would say on it.

BTW, did you happen to see the Nehi, "gas today" tin sign he had? I loved that sign. Wish I had taken a picture. But he was crazy high on that for me at like $1150 I think he said. Telling me that if it was in better shape it would be $4-5 grand. C'mon??
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: 50's Amoco counter top display - Mon May 04 2015 11:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C.

BTW, did you happen to see the Nehi, "gas today" tin sign he had? I loved that sign. Wish I had taken a picture. But he was crazy high on that for me at like $1150 I think he said. Telling me that if it was in better shape it would be $4-5 grand. C'mon??

Matthews sold a condition 7 Nehi sign like that for $900 (+10% BP) two years ago.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: 50's Amoco counter top display - Mon May 04 2015 11:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
Originally Posted By: Steve C.

Matthews sold a condition 7 Nehi sign like that for $900 (+10% BP) two years ago.

Thanks for the info Bob!! I guess he wasn't that far off after all then. Just to rich for my cheap butt. It was a very cool little sign.
Posted By: CircaDesigns Re: 50's Amoco counter top display - Mon May 04 2015 05:06 PM
Pretty cool piece, but not $800 cool. We've all heard the saying, "it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay", and I wouldn't be willing to pay $800 for it. I'd probably still walk away at $400.

Out of curiosity is it about 18" tall or was it larger than that?
Posted By: Steven C. Re: 50's Amoco counter top display - Mon May 04 2015 05:52 PM
Hey Dan, Hope all is well. Glad to get your input on this.
18"? Looking at my tape measure here, maybe a tad taller at about 20" or so. Just going by memory.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk