Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Ctate2237 Exxon plastics - Sun Dec 31 2017 05:24 PM
Hey guys I found some Exxon plastics like the ones pictured, only bigger. They are about 10' in length and 5' wide. They are still in the pallets that they were shipped. Ball park value?
Thanks

Attached picture IMG_20171004_49343.jpg
Posted By: Ctate2237 Re: Exxon plastics - Thu Jan 04 2018 01:10 PM
I guess plastics aren't worth much
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Exxon plastics - Thu Jan 04 2018 11:04 PM
In the past, I have seen big plastic signs go at auction for very little money. At one auction, only $5.00 to a woman who afterward, couldn't figure how to get it home in her small car? Difficult to find a use for a 10'x5' sign unless you plan on putting it on a high pole near the Interstate. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: Ctate2237 Re: Exxon plastics - Sun Jan 07 2018 07:03 AM
Haha that's very true. What about the hardware?(for the 10' or the 4')
Posted By: Oldgas Moderator Re: Exxon plastics - Sun Jan 07 2018 11:51 AM
Years ago, plastic signs couldn't even get a look from typical petroliana sign collectors. With porcelain and painted metal signs going up so high in price, plastics are getting new interest, especially by newer collectors and specific brand collectors. I believe they will continue to increase in value over time. Signs over 6 foot obviously need lots of space so it limits the number of collectors who have the room.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Exxon plastics - Mon Jan 08 2018 01:32 PM
Agree,plastic sign interest has grown considerably in the last few years.Plus they weren't made to last,so when you find one in great shape still holding it's vibrant colors,the sky is the limit.
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Exxon plastics - Mon Jan 08 2018 02:44 PM
Right after building my new shop about fifteen years ago I ran on to a plastic APCO sign that was like new for $75. I had a lot of wall space up high around the shop to cover so I bought it and it’s hung there ever since. A little later the local Phillips 66 station went out of business and he gave me the two plastic inserts from the marquee sign so I plastered them up next. They aren’t worth much now but I notice these going for more and more all the time. Porcelain has gotten to be a rich mans collectible. Most can’t pay thousands for signs to decorate their shops but still don’t want repops. I think as time goes on they will fit in to a niche in the hobby and be worth saving. I’m sure my APCO would sell for more than twice the $75 I gave for it so there’s a good example of what difference ten or fifteen years makes on about anything. I remember not too many years ago when the big six foot porcelain signs could be bought for a couple hundred dollars because nobody wanted to handle them. Now try to find a nice one for five times that. I say grab things that are nice when you find them. Plastic or not, in a few years somebody will want it....GB

Attached picture 8C84E49D-D6C5-48B0-AAEC-70FC56C26379.jpeg
Posted By: Ctate2237 Re: Exxon plastics - Mon Jan 08 2018 06:25 PM
Thanks a bunch you guys!
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Exxon plastics - Tue Jan 09 2018 01:03 AM
I concur with the upside assessment of my colleagues above. I bought a 5'x7' plastic sign of a small extinct gas and oil company and it cost me more than a few dollars. If it is desirable, people will pay for it.
Posted By: we're the other guys Re: Exxon plastics - Wed Jan 10 2018 05:27 PM
This is just an opinion. but with all the repops and fantasy signs out there. You know it's orginial. Nobody repops plastic!!!
Posted By: hawkike Re: Exxon plastics - Fri Jan 12 2018 07:11 PM
One of my plastic signs,i think they are getting more collectible.

Attached picture DSCN0283.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk