Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 89sheepdog Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 12:44 AM
I got some signs and gas memorabilia from my grandpa who was insane about collecting this stuff and I know he spent a lot, some are still in their original boxes (like new old signs) and they look really nice I haven't been able to find out how much most of them are worth because I am unable to find pictures of a lot of them. Some have a little bit of rust and stuff but overall I think they are really nice. I have been looking at the prices and I wasn't aware what he had really left me until I joined this forum. I am having trouble finding out some of the prices. What is the best way besides ebay I can find the value for what I really have?
Posted By: Highway66 Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 01:00 AM
What type of brands are the signs? Pictures would help, there's a lot of knowledgable folks on this forum that can help.
Posted By: hawkike Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 01:00 AM
Post pictures if possible.
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 01:09 AM
mobil texaco polly associated red crown shell sinclair richfield signal gulf phillips flying a rich lube thats some of them. Does anyone know anything about this sign? I know its bad ***** it was a favorite, I cropped it for safety

Posted By: Highway66 Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 01:12 AM
Polly? Might want to post that I'm sure guys on here are interested.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 01:13 AM
Quite a different scenario than your posts a few days ago.
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 01:28 AM
at the moment nothing is for sale no pm's offering to buy I am looking for online resources for pricing
Posted By: blacktee Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 01:29 AM
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
Quite a different scenario than your posts a few days ago.

Shouldn't try to run circles around this site sheephead. LMAO
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 01:29 AM
Im trying to learn man I don't want to get ripped off
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 01:41 AM
Without detailed photos. No one will be able to give you an idea... Of what you have...
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 02:14 AM
I am still trying to figure out what is safe to post bob
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 02:18 AM
Cropped sign above [Round RICHLUBE curb sign] is almost worthless for trying to get a value on, BUT will help the Repop guys for Clarity!

Search past auctions ebay, Matthews, Morphys, etc. In bottom right hand corner, search Oldgas using Google custom search.
Be fair on condition when comparing.
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 02:23 AM
Thanks Dick! Finally somebody with some insight! If I can't find a sign I guess I just have to learn the hard way of what it is then...

Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Cropped sign above [Round RICHLUBE curb sign] is almost worthless for trying to get a value on, BUT will help the Repop guys for Clarity!

Search past auctions ebay, Matthews, Morphys, etc. In bottom right hand corner, search Oldgas using Google custom search.
Be fair on condition when comparing.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 02:23 AM
Layout of a sign is more important to the Repop guys than High Quality images [those just save time copying].
THAT is another reason you should search completed auctions, LEARN WHAT MIGHT BE RARE Before posting.

From the image above, I'd say he collected some Quality Condition signs.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 02:28 AM
I am going out on a limb here, But honesty is the best policy here. If someone thinks that there is a potential problem they will blast it out. Do not beat around the bush, for your own sake.
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 02:40 AM
I am a bit confused on what you mean by that? Im going to tell you right now that I'm aware that I don't know what I have... I'm just trying to be safe about it. It isn't the easiest thing to learn about all I'm asking for is guidance.

Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
I am going out on a limb here, But honesty is the best policy here. If someone thinks that there is a potential problem they will blast it out. Do not beat around the bush, for your own sake.
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 02:42 AM
Im having a hard enough time navigating through this forum
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 03:02 AM
After a Post/Reply, DON'T use the Back Option [it will look like your post Wasn't Submitted].
Go to one of the above Replys & EDIT DELETE THIS POST.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 03:03 AM
See the topic in our Frequently Asked Questions ...

What is my item worth?
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=244599
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 03:10 AM
Thanks old gas!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Oldgas
See the topic in our Frequently Asked Questions ...

What is my item worth?
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=244599
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 03:35 AM
I guess I do not know why so are so afraid of asking direct questions about specific signs. These are people all over the country and someone is not going to come over and pay you a visit without your permission. We have all had stuff that was either really rare or stuff we have stumbled onto, no one says you have to sell anything. If needed, ask the moderator for specific people who could help you and thus possibly eliminate everyone knowing your business.
Posted By: GILMORE Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 04:05 AM
Personally, I would just take some pics of what you have and post them here. You seem to have a good attitude, which will go a long way here. I believe you might be surprised with how helpful some people will be in helping you out.

I'd be more aware of the WOLVES sending you PM's (Personal Messages) to buy the stuff from you, than someone coming over to your house and stealing from you.

EDIT: Just read some of your previous posts. If you do post post pics, leave them on for more than a day. Not everyone looks at this site 24-7.

Also, be honest with what your intentions are- are you collecting?... or looking for what price to ask when you decide to sell? Not accusing you of anything, just confused of what your intentions are, from previous comments.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 04:16 AM
I get emails and calls all the time from people who want to know the value of some gas pump or air meter. Most times I tell them that this phone call is why I wrote the books, but while they may have a $1500 gas pump, they don't want to spend the cost of the book (I know the book is out of print, but I got probably 40 requests per week when the book was available).

The thing I always ask the people is why do you need the value? If you intend to keep the item the value isn't relevent, if you intend to sell the item, put it on Ebay or turn it over to a good auction house.

You stated above, "Im trying to learn man I don't want to get ripped off." How can you be getting ripped off on something you didn't even buy?

Jack Sim
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 05:52 AM
I love this stuff to be honest I think its awesome and I really dig the american artwork, The more I read about it the more fascinated I am with how this all works and the history behind it. I do want to keep some and have my own collection but most of all I want to know and learn about the signs more because I would hate to just up and get rid of everything without knowing. The purpose of this post was to just get some information about some of the things I have for myself without having some sign guy come over and try and give me an offer to buy everything, I already just feel like Im being attacked because I don't know anything about this. Crazy pm's from people and some nice pm's from people. I have realized its going to take a lot of my own work and research to find out what it is I'm looking for. See you guys at the next show

Originally Posted By: GILMORE
Personally, I would just take some pics of what you have and post them here. You seem to have a good attitude, which will go a long way here. I believe you might be surprised with how helpful some people will be in helping you out.

I'd be more aware of the WOLVES sending you PM's (Personal Messages) to buy the stuff from you, than someone coming over to your house and stealing from you.

EDIT: Just read some of your previous posts. If you do post post pics, leave them on for more than a day. Not everyone looks at this site 24-7.

Also, be honest with what your intentions are- are you collecting?... or looking for what price to ask when you decide to sell? Not accusing you of anything, just confused of what your intentions are, from previous comments.
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 05:58 AM
Ill post a few pieces in the for sale section soon because there are a few things I want to sell that I have found prices on.
Posted By: junior25 Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 10:40 AM
Sorry I can't help much on American sign values but I am a collector and can offer advice. Don't rush into this and first figure out your own situation. Everybody has different circumstances but from what I gathered on your last post you might just enjoy this hobby the same as your Grandpa did. I sure wish I had have been left another mans passion. Once you sell an item it's gone along with the memories.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 12:36 PM
Yo Dog! Post up some pics of the collection in general. We would love to see it! People post their stuff all the time on here. It's all part of the fun. We all enjoy seeing other pieces.
I dont understand what you are afraid of? Did I miss something?
Posted By: Highway66 Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 02:35 PM
X2 post up some pics!
Posted By: Alex Re: Value of my collection - Wed Apr 23 2014 04:11 PM
If you are looking for values, post pics here...if wanting to "show off"..LOL..post pics in Showcase Section. Welcome to Oldgas
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Value of my collection - Thu Apr 24 2014 12:53 PM
...if you're worried about people stealing your images, post smaller photos, or group shots...

"I do want to keep some and have my own collection but most of all I want to know and learn about the signs more because I would hate to just up and get rid of everything without knowing."

...I don't really know what you mean by this - if you want 'to keep some', I'm not sure how you'd 'get rid of everything'...I mean, either you want to collect this stuff, or you don't...

...if I were you - I'd lay low, and wear eBay and the other aforementioned sites out, get as much info as you can, THEN decide what to do...find similar items in upcoming auctions and make a point to note the condition and what they sell for...if you can't/don't want to keep everything, then you have to decide whether to keep the things you like, or the things that are the best long-term investment - they might very well be the same things...

...one way or another, selling or keeping - if you don't want to get 'ripped off', you're going to have to put some long hours in...like most of us have...
Posted By: QuartKans Re: Value of my collection - Thu Apr 24 2014 01:48 PM
My opinion is if you have early associated, Richfield items, signal, Polly and they are original no need to waste your time posting the pics on here for the window shoppers. Contact Dan Matthews at Morphys if you are serious about selling and he can direct you if he thinks what you have is rare, and will bring money . Go back and look at the prices from past auctions he commanded big money when on his own and now teamed with Morphy he gets heavy heavy hitters. Consignment fees are up there but if it's rare they will advertise the heck out of it for you and you will have an audience that will spend money.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Value of my collection - Thu Apr 24 2014 02:01 PM
ebay has all those same heavy heavy hitters PLUS countless others worldwide
Posted By: rbonitz Re: Value of my collection - Thu Apr 24 2014 02:06 PM
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
ebay has all those same heavy heavy hitters PLUS countless others worldwide

...including the ones who don't care to pay high buyers premiums at auctions.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Value of my collection - Thu Apr 24 2014 02:31 PM
...'window shoppers'?

...I wouldn't contact anyone, until after I had done my homework...
Posted By: Highway66 Re: Value of my collection - Fri Apr 25 2014 02:03 AM
Yeah I would consult oldgas first if you are planning on keeping some.
Posted By: GILMORE Re: Value of my collection - Fri Apr 25 2014 03:48 AM
Post some pics, sheepdawg... for us "window shoppers" here on oldgas.
Posted By: huskybob Re: Value of my collection - Fri Apr 25 2014 03:52 AM
Originally Posted By: QuartKans
My opinion is if you have early associated, Richfield items, signal, Polly and they are original no need to waste your time posting the pics on here for the window shoppers. Contact Dan Matthews at Morphys if you are serious about selling and he can direct you if he thinks what you have is rare, and will bring money . Go back and look at the prices from past auctions he commanded big money when on his own and now teamed with Morphy he gets heavy heavy hitters. Consignment fees are up there but if it's rare they will advertise the heck out of it for you and you will have an audience that will spend money.

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=528503&page=all
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Value of my collection - Sun Apr 27 2014 08:34 PM
Looks like the Richfield sign is the same one that member "MDQG" posted that he bought a month before this topic and is now offering for sale at this link:
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=531207

The story posted by "89sheepdog" doesn't appear to be holding water.
Posted By: Redfishangler Re: Value of my collection - Mon Apr 28 2014 06:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Oldgas

The story posted by "89sheepdog" doesn't appear to be holding water.

Me thinks Jim might be onto something... Sign fingerprints appear to be the same. confused
Posted By: advertologist Re: Value of my collection - Mon Apr 28 2014 07:14 PM
89sheepdog did leave us some clues before he changed his profile:

1. a last name of: MacMillan

2. a cell phone #: (909) xxx-xxxx which on a reverse phone lookup goes too Upland, Ca. which is 49 mi. N of here

I'd like too ask him how he blew that picture up with such clarity?.. cool
Posted By: SODAMAMAK Re: Value of my collection - Tue Apr 29 2014 12:45 AM
Originally Posted By: 89sheepdog
I got some signs and gas memorabilia from my grandpa who was insane about collecting this stuff. I have been looking at the prices and I wasn't aware what he had really left me until I joined this forum. I am having trouble finding out some of the prices. What is the best way besides ebay I can find the value for what I really have?

89SHEEPDOG, You should of stuck with ebay to find out what pa,pa's stuff is really worth,(Bless is sole). ebay is LOADED with SUCKERS.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk