Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Larry Nace "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Aug 09 2009 02:20 PM
Let's all show our appreciation by posting a memorable moment about Chip's show or an experience that you may have had throughout the years.

My collection would not have been possible without the help and knowledge from Chip. If I wanted something, he would go out of his way to find it for me or give me a lead on finding the items I was looking for.

To a very special person that gives it all to the hobby and ask for nothing in return. "THANKS, CHIP".

His show is right around the corner, September 10,11 and 12. Let's all attend, as vendors and collectors. Don't miss it. It will be a lot of fun with all Chip and his family have planned.

Thanks again to Chip, Christy, Hap and Martha for all of your time and endless efforts over the years on putting on
THE BEST GAS AND OIL SHOW.
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Aug 09 2009 06:42 PM
Larry:
To me, all the Dixie shows have been memorable. I always find some good items there and always sell well, too. I can't wait to see everyone and as you said, thanks go out to each of them. All the Flohe family are very special in my heart.....Dale
Posted By: bmclemore Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Aug 09 2009 09:10 PM
This September will be our first time there, we will be staying at one of the cabins. What do we have to look forward to?
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Aug 09 2009 09:12 PM
Larry, I can't believe that it's been twenty years! I've been attending for about 12 years now. Met an awful lot of great folks and got to hug some too! For those of you who do not know Larry personally......he is quite hugable.....this started as a joke and has escalated to a major pass time while there. Anyway, I enjoy the laid back pace. Mountain views are terriffic. Always a good crowd and it makes for a fine mini-vacation. Chip and Happy are class acts.....Christy and Martha certainly have their hands full with those two. Probably my favorite shows of the year. Paul
Posted By: Mattgas Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Mon Aug 10 2009 01:36 AM
I will be there, have not been there since starting my own company. Chip is a great host and look forward to the show. Dan
Posted By: philmccauley Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Mon Aug 10 2009 01:54 AM
I have been to several and it is a great time indeed. My wife was coming down about 4 years ago and her van broke down, had it towed to the motel. Happy sent me to his mechaninc the next morning and repaired it for a very reasonalble price. I too have had great experience and bought/sold stuff myself. Great, laid back show. Everything from beer signs to goats. LOL
Posted By: grabber Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Wed Aug 12 2009 03:05 PM
This was the first gas show I had ever attended (went earlier this year to the spring show)...Everyone at the show was super nice and my buddy and I had a great time...most memorable moment was when one of the members here (his picture is shown in the Iowa Gas man of the year plaque photo on the other thread...believe he's from or near Ohio - on right side of photo) showed up with a trailer darn near full of barn hangers...everyone started unloading and "creating stacks" lol...I ended up with quite a few great old oil signs at a great price. We're going to set up this year - currently counting down the days.
Posted By: BBQ Chicken Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Fri Aug 14 2009 04:11 AM
My favorite show(not that I go to all that many), it's so pleasant there in the valley....... great view, great sounds, great anticipation. I look forward to the stay and the surroundings as much as the killer stuff. The beer and chicken tastes extra good at Dixie Gas !!!!!! Can not wait, can not wait !!!!!!! I remember getting there at about 2:00am my first time, and we tried to sleep in the car and we couldn't sleep at all........anticipation..... man it was hard waiting 'till daybreak. It's really kinda magical, like Christmas when your a kid, or your first big hunting trip, fishing trip, that kinda thing. That Chip guy is a real jerk though, mean and rude to everybody - and will buy something out from under you in a quick sniff!!! hee hee! Can't wait!
Posted By: Larry Nace Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 06 2009 04:53 PM
I just got off of the phone with Chip. He is planning a Vendors Appreciation Supper, consisting of a catfish fry, on Thursday night starting at 5:30 and lasting to 6:30.

He also stated that some of the good ole boys who used to set up and sell there years ago, will be back. With that in mind, there should be lots of good items showing up. In addition to this, there will be app. 15 first time vendors there too.

If you are on the fence as to whether or not you plan to attend, this may persuade you to make up your mind to be there. You won't regret it.

The weather is looking good for the show, maybe a 20% chance of rain, but who knows. Rain or shine...looking forward to being there and having a great time. Thanks everybody, Larry
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 06 2009 06:41 PM
I plan being there Wednesday. Just had back surgery Monday, but feeling too good not to make it. See you there...Dale
Posted By: George Johnston Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 06 2009 11:21 PM
This has been always a great show. A few years ago, I had a medical emergency and Chip and his family stored my goods until I could recover enough from my trip to the surgeon in Fla and pick up for the trip north to Wi, We will always consider this a great vacation. People are what makes a show great.
Posted By: puregas Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Mon Sep 07 2009 12:59 AM
I have only missed the fall 2001 show after falling off a ladder and breaking my wrist and shattering my heel. Missing the show hurt worse than the fall and the breaks. Can't say enough good about Chip's family and the laid back atmosphere of the show. Sounds like this year could be the best ever. Looking forward to seeing Paddy and Souperhigh there. Look me up inside the barn. I'm always in the first booth on the left as you enter the barn. Pat
P.S. Many of you have met my youngest daughter(she's 18 now) who watches my booth and sells for me at some of the shows. I brought her to Dixie Gas for her first show when she was three years old. She slept under one of my tables. Man,time flies. That has to be one of my best memories besides all the good buys and friends I've made over the years. Looking forward to seeing old faces and meeting new ones!
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Mon Sep 07 2009 01:35 AM
Sure wish I was going, but I have other plans for me this weekend, I attended this past Springs Dixie Gas and agree with the others about the hospitality at this show, My family and I were treated as family. I asked Chip where I could find some fenders for a early 1960's chevy pick-up, he said "follow me" and after a walk to his shed I had a near mint pair going home with me. I will be going back someday.
Posted By: chipsdixie Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Mon Sep 07 2009 01:54 AM
Pleeeeeeeeeze Don"t show up on Tuesday thinking you can vend. You cant!!!!!!!!! Wednesday is setup day.I won"t be ready any earlier!!!! I have had a lot of complaints from car show guys wanting to buy late on Friday or Saturday and not many vendors being here. The reason Dixie Gas is held on Shades of The Past weekend was to attract buyers other than the vendors swapping with each other. It has been very successful in the past there is no reason ruining a good thing.We are having a Vendor Appreciation Fish Fry Thursday night between 5:30 & 6:30 bring your chair. Thanks Chip and family.
Posted By: CircaDesigns Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Tue Sep 08 2009 11:48 AM
Looking forward to getting on the road tomorrow. Love the show and love the scenery.

This is from 2005.

Attached picture MVC-004F.JPG
Posted By: Larry Nace Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Tue Sep 08 2009 09:42 PM
Thanks to everybody who posted. "NOW IT IS SHOWTIME"!!!!! Let the fun begin. I got to thinking that since Chip is having a fish fry on Thursday night, that I had better pack my fishing pole and a can of worms so that I can help catch the fish!! Looking forward to seeing everybody. Larry
Posted By: danlap99 Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Tue Sep 08 2009 10:41 PM
Hi Everyone, I'll be there first thing thursday morning. This will be my 10th year, always a GREAT show.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Fri Sep 11 2009 09:30 PM
no internet service at dixie?been waitin on pics!
Posted By: philmccauley Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sat Sep 12 2009 02:05 AM
Where are the pics guys? I know Pat loads them every year, maybe he ate too much fish at the dinner Thursday. LOL
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 02:50 PM
Wow what a great time we had at Chips. The best show I have done all year! The hosts really know how to do it right. If you haven't been to this show I would strongly recomend you get there.Lots of stuff to see and do in the area also. Next year I will be going to Tennessee a few days early to sight see. Unreal car show just a few miles away too. I only wish I could hear the Star spangled banner this morning. Thanks to Chip and his family.Also to Dave Hathaway for the music,I loved it,John and Therese
Posted By: reb Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 06:15 PM
Here are pictures from the 2009 Fall Dixie Gas

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197...mview=slideshow

Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 07:53 PM
great pics!!! thanks for sharing em with us!!have to try and get there next year
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 08:53 PM
very nice pictures....i know that takes some time to put together like that!!! enjoyed it very much, thanks again
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 08:54 PM
Thanks for the pictures.
Posted By: The Brain Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 08:54 PM
THREE PHOTOS FROM THE SHOW - ME AND 'GULFIEND!' WITH STOGIES; 'BBQ CHICKEN' GUARDING HIS DELICIOUS CHICKEN; AND ME AND 'BBQ CHICKEN' ROCKING THE SHOW WITH OUR RENDITION OF THE NATIONAL ANTHEM - THREE TIMES A DAY...

Attached picture phpcANDdoPM.jpg
Attached picture phpMLL8TIPM.jpg
Attached picture phpCvIGUGPM.jpg
Posted By: theChandlers Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 08:56 PM
Had a great time again this year. Was pleasantly surprised by the number of shoppers who were there on Saturday. Many thanks to Chip and family for all their hard work to put on this show. Well worth the drive. Lenny & Phyllis
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 09:13 PM
The show was a HOOT! Great to see everyone again. Got the impression that there was some new interest in the hobby. Met folks that were just getting excited about this stuff. That is always welcoming news. Dave Hathaway did his best Hendrix impersonation several times a day.....had people asking " We thought Jimmy was dead?" Dave informed me that he hardly took a guitar lesson......you could tell when he tried to do DIXIE!!! Thanks to Chip and family for the fine fish fry on Thursday, A real treat. Please try to attend in the future. You are missing out if you don't. Paul
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 09:14 PM
looks like a blast1
Posted By: George Sager Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 09:53 PM
My advice to anyone that plans on going next year if you can only be there for one day make it the second day. I was there only the first day for my first time and one day is just not enough time. Met so many people thanks to that Pat man from over by the Texas line super guy.Just some of the people that I met Larry and his wife, Dan, Mark and so many more I can't recall the names. I would say if you only make one show next year try to make DIXIE. I plan to be back next year. George
Posted By: Jack R Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 10:23 PM
Thanks for posting the great photos. Jack
Posted By: Larry Nace Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 10:59 PM
A Summary Of The 20th Anniversary Dixie Gas Show:

It will be a show to remember. It was fantastic! Glad to meet all of the first timers and reminiace with the old timers about all of the past shows. There were lots of items for the new collectors on low budgets to the rare hard to find items for the veteran collectors. Even a complete Texaco porcelain station was for sale there. Everyday, something new showed up.

A very special thanks to Reb for taking the time to make all the pictures plus posting them on oldgas for all of us to enjoy. "THANKS, REB".

Thanks to Chip and his family for a well organized show and a great meal. If you have never been to this show, mark your calendar for next April and September. It still keeps getting better and better. Thanks, Larry
Posted By: philmccauley Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 11:30 PM
Great pics indeed, anybody know who had the tall 39, tall G&B doors, and the Jeweler's neon sign? Thanks for posting the photos.
Posted By: roadrelics Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 11:32 PM
reb, that was an excellent job of taking & posting photos, the best i have seen... felt like i was there.... a very non bias view of a great show......
Posted By: chipsdixie Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Sun Sep 13 2009 11:54 PM
Hey Phil Tim Hickman had the Tall gilbarco door Miles had the tall 39 doors Charles smith had the jewelers neon I think Chip
Posted By: chipsdixie Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Mon Sep 14 2009 12:06 AM
Hey all you vendors and spectators that showed up this year Thank you for making the twentieth year the best ever. More than 150 vendors showed up and foot traffic on Thursday was great. We had a wonderful time hosting the show but like I told some of you this is your show Im just blessed to be able to share our farm for such a great time. If you have some suggestions tell me and I will consider them. I heard many spectators late Friday and Saturday say that more people should have stayed that they coudnt
get off of work and be there any earlier and wished there would have been more stuff to spend their money on especially Saturday.

Thanks again Chip and family
Posted By: philmccauley Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Mon Sep 14 2009 12:22 AM
Chip, thanks for the info. I wish I could have made it. Where is Charles from or how do I reach him.
Posted By: Fueluser Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Mon Sep 14 2009 01:03 AM
Thanks for taking the pictures. I really have to try to make this show next year. Two things - If any vendor has any Crown items (Baltmore Crown) would you please snap a picture of the item and price and PM me - I would like a few items of this station. (At least PM me telling me of the item and price and then if interested I could ask for a picture, thanks) Someday I do hope to get a Gold and Silver Globe. Second Item - In one of the cases I think I saw a gargoyle Filproof lubester adopter - one to slide on the gargoyle bottles. Would you, if you see this shoot me a price and picture. Thanks everyone. John
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Mon Sep 14 2009 04:53 PM
John:
The adapter was $500 if memory serves correct...Dale
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Mon Sep 14 2009 08:03 PM
Thanks for taking time to post the pics.

Looks like a super show.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Tue Sep 15 2009 12:44 PM
...fun show, I had a great time...enjoyed meeting Paddy, Maurice, George Sager, and Steve Keith, and seeing my old friends again...

Originally Posted By: Dixiechip
I heard many spectators late Friday and Saturday say that more people should have stayed that they coudnt get off of work and be there any earlier and wished there would have been more stuff to spend their money on especially Saturday.

...this should be an easy fix - just have 'vendor set up' on Friday...and don't let anyone on your property until Friday morning...no one gets there early, no one sets up early, and vendors are still there on Saturday...
Posted By: roger cherry Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Tue Sep 15 2009 02:35 PM
I had a blast. Chip and his family are always on top of things and run a great show. Thanks to them.
Posted By: souperhigh Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Tue Sep 15 2009 03:59 PM
First time at Dixie Gas and it was a blast.Got to meet new people and really enjoyed the music from The Brain, BBQ Chicken and Gulfiend.
Dave's BBQ Chicken was great. Thanks for the good meal.
Close to 1800 mile round trip but worth it.
Will try to make Spring show next year.
Again, Dave you do cook great BBQ Chicken and play a mean guitar. And Larry Nace and Barry great to meet you.
Maurice
Posted By: MARK SMITH Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Tue Sep 15 2009 05:49 PM
GREAT PICTURES.THANKS FOR SHARING.SURE YOU ALL HAD A GREAT TIME.MARK
Posted By: Hud Oil Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Wed Sep 16 2009 12:19 AM
Nice job on the pics, does any one know who had the Leonard and Apco Vickers credit card signs, Wendell
Posted By: texaspelican Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Wed Sep 16 2009 01:05 AM
I saw Chip shakin' his head, walking towards me and warning anyone that could hear that a crazy cajun had just showed up.
I meet Chip a few years ago and promised that I would make it one day.
It was my first time at Dixie and I had a great time. Chip's family were great host. I really enjoyed visiting with his dad, Mr. Happy.
I sold well and I bought well....Spent time with old friends, spent time with new ones. Thats what life is all about....family, friends and letting the good times roll!
I will be back....worth the 1600 mile round trip.
OBTW.. The 3 day car show in pigeon forge was one of the best I have ever attended.
Posted By: souperhigh Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Wed Sep 16 2009 01:16 AM
By the way Paddy snores !!!
Thought someone was cutting wood all night ! Gotta love him though.

Maurice
Posted By: texaspelican Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Wed Sep 16 2009 01:30 AM
I must have been plain wore out...OBTW maurice talks in his sleep.....details at 11
Posted By: BBQ Chicken Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Wed Sep 16 2009 02:16 AM
Posted By: bmclemore Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Wed Sep 16 2009 02:19 AM
Had a great time, worth the 1200 mile round trip, stayed at one of Chips cabins, great view, nice facilities but could have used more tv channels, LOL. Got to meet some fellow old gas members. Man! that Paddy and Maurice are something else!

Posted By: BBQ Chicken Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Wed Sep 16 2009 02:47 AM

Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Wed Sep 16 2009 02:48 AM
I heard Maurice only talks in his sleep when someone in the room snores like his EX !
Who had to wear the Apron, THIS TIME ? LOL
Posted By: BBQ Chicken Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Wed Sep 16 2009 02:57 AM
Posted By: texaspelican Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Thu Sep 17 2009 02:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
I heard Maurice only talks in his sleep when someone in the room snores like his EX !
Who had to wear the Apron, THIS TIME ? LOL

A true man of the house.....

nuff said grin
Posted By: souperhigh Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Thu Sep 17 2009 02:16 AM
OUCH !!!!
Thanks D. B. for reminding him.
Any Thursday is his Birthday.
Paddy .....be prepared.

Maurice
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Thu Sep 17 2009 04:18 AM
Never mind, Nuff Said !
Posted By: bmclemore Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Thu Sep 17 2009 07:56 PM
Nice apron Maurice, Is that one homemade or store bought? HaHa, What are you cleaning there anyways?
Posted By: BBQ Chicken Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Thu Sep 17 2009 08:10 PM
Sweet, looks like he's gettin' ready to lay hell to some shortnin bread !!!

Put on the skillet, slip on the lid,
Mama's gonna make a little short'nin' bread.
That ain't all she's gonna do,
Mama's gonna make a little coffee, too.

Mama's little baby loves short'nin', short'nin',
Mama's little baby loves short'nin' bread,
Mama's little baby loves short'nin' bread.

Three little children, lyin' in bed
Two were sick and the other 'most dead
Sent for the doctor and the doctor said,
"Give those children some short'nin' bread."

When those children, sick in bed,
Heard that talk about short'nin' bread,
Popped up well to dance and sing,
Skipped around and cut the pigeon wing.

Slip to the kitchen, slip up the led,
Filled my pockets full of short'nin' bread;
Stole the skillet, stole the led,
Stole the gal makin' short'nin' bread.

Caught me with the skillet, caught me with the led,
Caught me with the gal makin' short'nin' bread;
Paid six dollars for the skillet, six dollars for the led,
Spent six months in jail eatin' short'nin' bread.

Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Thu Sep 17 2009 09:28 PM
LOL
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Fri Sep 18 2009 12:12 AM
Can you play that on the guitar?
Posted By: Hemibird Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Fri Sep 18 2009 12:01 PM
Maurice,
What's this I hear about you and a speedo?
Posted By: texaspelican Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Fri Sep 18 2009 12:11 PM
Originally Posted By: bmclemore
Nice apron Maurice, Is that one homemade or store bought? HaHa, What are you cleaning there anyways?

his mind and his mouth...they both need a good cleaning.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: "WOW" 20th Anniversary DIXIE GAS - Fri Sep 18 2009 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: MetroPetro
Can you play that on the guitar?

...give him a week (or two)...he'll play it so you could recognize it...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk