Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: indiananationals pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 03:09 PM

Posted By: gmstuff Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 03:17 PM
Any idea how to contact the dealer in the third pic?
Posted By: indiananationals Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 03:17 PM

Posted By: indiananationals Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 03:19 PM
Believe 3rd pic is bagged1961
Posted By: indiananationals Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 03:22 PM

Posted By: indiananationals Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 03:25 PM

Posted By: indiananationals Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 03:28 PM

Posted By: indiananationals Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 03:31 PM

Posted By: indiananationals Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 03:33 PM

Posted By: indiananationals Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 03:37 PM

Posted By: indiananationals Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 03:40 PM

Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 05:48 PM
See any good 2 gallon cans?
Posted By: indiananationals Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 06:34 PM
Very few cans at all
Posted By: Bbburke Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 10:02 PM
If the the third picture was someone from this page. I'm just not sure what his screen name is. I'll be glad to give you the guys phone number and name if you pm me.
Posted By: indiananationals Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 11:48 PM
Bagged1961 is his screen name
Posted By: advertologist Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sat Sep 27 2014 11:57 PM
appears to have been a good show- thanks for posting photo's... cool
Posted By: frankpl Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sun Sep 28 2014 01:02 AM
Any info on the rest room globe ? Frank
Posted By: Bbburke Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sun Sep 28 2014 01:12 AM
I didn't see the rest room globe today when I was there. As a matter of fact, I only saw two globes at the entire show and they were in sub par condition.
Posted By: frankpl Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sun Sep 28 2014 01:19 AM
I liked that one...Frank
Posted By: indiananationals Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sun Sep 28 2014 01:40 AM
Not sure u would have liked price I think they were asking $2800
Posted By: Bbburke Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sun Sep 28 2014 01:41 AM
I agree Frank. I saw these pictures yesterday and was pretty pumped up about going today. But, all the good stuff was pretty much gone. The few good things left were outrageously priced. If you didn't come with a grand to spend on one item. There weren't many Petro signs to be had. I bought a Veedol quart. I was very disappointed. Apparently, I was a day late and many dollars short.
Posted By: indiananationals Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sun Sep 28 2014 01:41 AM
Did Morphy's sell both globes Brian I liked the gorilla but $8000 ...and king ksrd I think was $3600
Posted By: Bbburke Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sun Sep 28 2014 01:43 AM
I didn't see either one. He had a couple signs and some nice quarts.
Posted By: indiananationals Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sun Sep 28 2014 01:55 AM
After looking again Brian u are correct
Posted By: BryceG Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sun Sep 28 2014 03:02 AM
i would agree that most items were priced high, but they were also mostly top-notch items. lots of investment-grade pieces... what seems high today, won't seem high in a couple years.

i enjoyed the show, but if you are a gas & oil nut like most of us... then you probably wouldnt be thrilled about the mass quantity of paper & cardstock advertising - but it was still nice to see what other markets exist for advertising collectibles.
Posted By: junior25 Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sun Sep 28 2014 11:04 AM
Great assortment of items. Thanks for posting the pics. Rumour had it that a 36" Red Indian sign might have been on it's way to the show. Did anybody see one that attended?
Posted By: frankpl Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sun Sep 28 2014 11:37 PM
Your right I didn't need that globe that bad, I obviously have good taste lol
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sun Sep 28 2014 11:41 PM
Originally Posted By: BryceG
what seems high today, won't seem high in a couple years.

...unless the bubble bursts before then...
Posted By: roadrelics Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Sun Sep 28 2014 11:47 PM
IMO the bubble will not burst, at least on the best advertising...to many people wanting this original stuff and more rich people are getting into it every day, and money is not a problem........
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Mon Sep 29 2014 02:49 AM
Thanks for posting pictures!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Mon Sep 29 2014 04:30 AM
Originally Posted By: roadrelics
IMO the bubble will not burst, at least on the best advertising...to many people wanting this original stuff and more rich people are getting into it every day, and money is not a problem........

I agree.

Even if the bubble did burst...it may not be all that bad. Would flush the pickers and the crooks out of the hobby.

I can hear it now, Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye!
Posted By: KentuckyT Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Mon Sep 29 2014 01:06 PM
Originally Posted By: BryceG
i would agree that most items were priced high, but they were also mostly top-notch items. lots of investment-grade pieces... what seems high today, won't seem high in a couple years.

i enjoyed the show, but if you are a gas & oil nut like most of us... then you probably wouldnt be thrilled about the mass quantity of paper & cardstock advertising - but it was still nice to see what other markets exist for advertising collectibles.

In my opinion there have been too many markets that have gone south with passing generations to consider advertising a sound investment strategy.

In the 90s you couldn't touch country store items,in the 80s 55'-57' T-Birds were ridiculous, in the 70s Model A's were bringing BIG money. With passing generations those markets have came and went. There are no 100% sure fire investments, but when you factor the amount risk the antique/collectible market presents I'm not sure how wise an investment a $40,000 sign is.

I agree with Dave, it would be great to get some of these "pickers" out of the market....
Posted By: roadrelics Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Mon Sep 29 2014 01:24 PM
I think it would be great to get some of these guys who make these fantasy and repo's meant to deceive out of the market, however that won't happen.....pickers will never go away......you mention cars, country store, etc. not holding value, on the opposite side of the coin, Art, sports collectibles and many many others have appreciated in value.....Many people would have said $10 million for a Van Gogh 10 years ago was not a wise investment, and same painting today brings $40 million..LOl....and 10 years from now it may be 80 million, but who knows and who cares....buy what you like and can afford.......
Posted By: BryceG Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Mon Sep 29 2014 01:32 PM
all good comments and discussion.

i wouldn't use the hobby as a true investment of your money, but rather the satisfaction of knowing that something you enjoy & that you are going to spend money on regardless, might possibly increase in value over time.

but back to the Indy show... smile

what I would like to see on OldGas is maybe a BATS thread (Buys At The Show) - for each large show. Would love to see what people find in the early hours of setup, etc.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Mon Sep 29 2014 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By: roadrelics
....buy what you like and can afford.......

That's the best piece of advice anyone can get or give.

There is no such thing as a sound investment. When I graduated from my post secondary education at the age of 21 my father bought me a brand new house as a graduation gift to help me get started in life. In exchange, he made me promise him that by the time I was 30, I would put away a 100,000 in a retirement savings plan. I did that...a divorce later and market crashes that 100,000 dwindled down to 17,000. I swore, that I would never invest in another retirement plan or stocks after that. 26 years later, that plan is worth around 50,000 and I pay 4000 in administration fee's a year. Long story short, everyone, made and continues to make more money on that investment but me. When I start drawing money out of it...I'll have to pay taxes.

Trust me, collecting signs is much cheaper and carries much less risk and taxes. I will continue to buy and hoard collectibles. Pickers and flippers are probably a lot easier (and cheaper) to deal with then bankers and lawyers!
Posted By: Tunk-Z28 Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Mon Sep 29 2014 04:44 PM
How true that is Dave! Invest in what you can put youre hands on! No one can take it away from you. This way you have total control over youre assets!
Posted By: roadrelics Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Tue Sep 30 2014 10:12 PM
Sounds like you have a wise and very generous father Dave.....
Posted By: hotcidr Re: pictures from Indy ad show - Wed Oct 01 2014 03:43 PM
Do you guys remember, about 3 years ago, there was a Gorilla globe on ebay, over and over and over at a really low price and I have no idea if if finally sold but here it, or one like it is, for $8000...wow, talk about a return on your money.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk