Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Rory Brinkman The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 13 2014 04:39 PM
Barrett-Jackson is pleased to have been selected to sell the Ron Pratte Car and Automobilia Collection. Ron is internationally reconized for his car collection but what most people don't realize is that he also accumulated an amazing 1,600 piece automobilia collection. We will be selling the collection January 10-18 in Scottsdale Arizona. All of the automobilia will be selling at No Reserve including 104 porcelian neon signs, over 800 tin and porcelain signs, 160 gas pump globes, 66 of the rarest pedal cars ever assembled plus more. There will be live, phone, absentee and internet bidding available.
We're still wrapping up cataloging his items but there's over 1500 pieces viewable on the on-line docket with more being added daily.

Here's a link:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Ev...2015/01-19-2015

Also today (Saturday December 13) Velocity Channel (281 on Direct TV) will be broadcasting a one hour special on his cars and automobilia at 3:00 PM Central time.

Regards,
Rory
Posted By: Chevrolet SS Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 13 2014 05:21 PM
I'm counting down the days...... cool

The weather is sure to be better then Illinois LOL!
Posted By: Robert77 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 13 2014 05:40 PM
Rory,

Is there any chance Velocity will be broadcasting any of the Automobilia auction this year, considering the magnitude of this collection?
Posted By: Mike M. Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 13 2014 05:43 PM
Anybody hear or know why he is selling it all?
Posted By: Rory Brinkman Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 13 2014 06:06 PM
Robert,
Unfortnately Velocity will only be broadcasting the car auction but will be showing highlights from the Automobilia Auction. I need Old Gas members to email Velocity expressing that they would love to see Autobilia broadcast also and hopefully in the future based upon deman it will happen.

Mike,
Mr. Pratte built one of the finest collections of Cars, Airplanes and Automobilia the world has ever seen and is now moving on to other interests including builiding a private race track at the Dunes. He also wants to spend more time flying and seeing the world. Ron worked extremely hard in life for everything he has and is a very charitable and philanthropic person. A true role model for us all.

Regards,
Rory
Posted By: Mike M. Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 13 2014 06:42 PM
Thanks Rory, I always found him to be a easy going, polite and friendly guy for the wealth he has so you always worry about health issues. It's great to here he's just moving on to the next adventure!
Posted By: texacokie Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 13 2014 08:40 PM
If Ron had it I can imagine it is prime stuff.
Posted By: rbonitz Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 13 2014 08:58 PM
Those globes would be awesome if they weren't upside down.
Posted By: Rory Brinkman Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 13 2014 09:49 PM
Rbonitz,

If you had a chance to see the television show or have seen pictures of the museum…the way Ron displayed his globes created a beautiful look…truly impressive.

We photographed all of the globes as they were hanging for the catalog. Since then they have all been taken down and the lenses have been rotated to proper placement (without any being damaged).

Regards,
Rory
Posted By: rbonitz Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 13 2014 10:42 PM
Thanks Rory. I was just kidding. Have been thinking of trying to hang some of my globes...but I'd be too chicken to hang a glass one. Looking forward to the auction.

Ray
Posted By: leonardoil Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 13 2014 11:38 PM
I have seen the special and it's done very well,but let's not forget with all the nice vehicles and memorabilia that this man has.He has donated lots of money to kids and veterans charities.
Kutos to you Ron a job well done
Jim
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Dec 14 2014 12:59 AM
Its going to be quite the auction!
Posted By: Highway66 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Tue Dec 16 2014 07:48 PM
If you buy the entire collection do you get the building for free to display it all? LOL, Should be quite the auction! Sad to see such an awesome collection go. Hopefully a good amount of it stays here on US soil.
-Anthony
Posted By: gmstuff Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Tue Dec 16 2014 11:47 PM
1930's? Are we 100% sure about that?

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Ev...on90-925-179197
Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 17 2014 12:29 AM
At first, it looked pretty good. But I think the "That Good" looks kinda computer generated.
Posted By: Highway66 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 17 2014 02:07 AM
Originally Posted By: gmstuff

Fantasy item's should make for some interesting outcomes. I've already spotted a few fakes and a lot of questionable.
Posted By: gmstuff Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 17 2014 02:50 AM
It's very unfortunate. I guess the audience this auction appeals to doesn't mind purchasing falsely advertised pieces. Just my two cents.

Kevin
Posted By: Rory Brinkman Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 17 2014 03:56 AM
I appreciate the input on the Gulf sign. I'm actually flying down tomorrow to start crating the collection and will take a look at it.
Regards,
Rory
Posted By: 63shelby Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 17 2014 04:49 AM
Originally Posted By: luminor89

Fantasy item's should make for some interesting outcomes. I've already spotted a few fakes and a lot of questionable.

Very interesting and disconcerting statement...you would hope and pray such a large and reputable entity such as this would thoroughly vet all items, guess not ?? how about some specifics/ examples instead of vague comments (so people don't get ripped off) ? Thanks
Posted By: Highway66 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 17 2014 02:17 PM
Originally Posted By: 63shelby

Very interesting and disconcerting statement...you would hope and pray such a large and reputable entity such as this would thoroughly vet all items, guess not ?? how about some specifics/ examples instead of vague comments (so people don't get ripped off) ? Thanks

Why would someone give up their hard earned knowlege? It's not worth the debate. The people thinking of bidding on a particular items should have started their research by now. It's part of this hobby to do your homework we all know that. The Pratte collection has a lot of nice things up for sale, so not ALL is bad. There's a lot of alcohol flowing at BJ & mancave decorator types who don't care about authencity. I am not bashing this auction in any way shape or form. I wish them all the best of luck!! I cannot wait to attend this year!!!
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 17 2014 02:22 PM
Originally Posted By: 63shelby

Rory did say he'd look into it. What auction company selling petroliana hasn't had a few repros slip through the cracks? The truth is the auction firms rely a lot on the sellers and buyers to vet the items. Sometimes they don't know whether an item is authentic until the auction preview. In those cases an announcement is usually made when the item reaches the auction block.
As for the vague descriptions.....Barrett Jackson is catering to their core market, vintage car buyers. I suspect those buyers aren't nearly as concerned about specifics in the item descriptions as petroliana collectors might be.
Also consider this is somewhat uncharted territory for Barrett Jackson. I don't think they've ever sold a collection of petroliana of this magnitude. I think the best approach at this time would be to contact Rory Brinkman with your concerns and give him a chance to remedy the situation. IMO It's a bit early to sound the alarm.
Posted By: Curtisstewart Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 17 2014 03:49 PM
Wow outstanding collection!!
Posted By: gmstuff Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Dec 18 2014 10:03 AM
Not sounding the alarm, just stating the obvious...

There are hundreds of posts on Oldgas about reproduction items being sold as original, may of which are on eBay or in auctions. Its funny that as soon as an item is called out from a "reputable" auction company all the defenders come out? Alcohol and inexperienced collectors are no excuse for selling blatant reproductions and trying to pass them off as original.. my 2 cents, I'm done.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Dec 18 2014 12:12 PM
I hate that repros are being sold as originals as much as anyone. My post about not sounding the alarm just yet was a reply to Pete's post. Rory had just posted he'd look into it. What I'm saying is give him the chance to fix it.
Contact the auction firm privately about any description or item you have concerns about so they can fix the descriptions. If they don't do anything about it it's game on as far as I'm concerned.
Posted By: muntzman Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Dec 18 2014 02:21 PM
Does anyone know what it costs to bid live at this auction. Is there a cost saving bidding live versus online?
Posted By: BryceG Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Dec 18 2014 02:55 PM
wish there was a way to bid online other than filling out paperwork worthy of a doctor's office visit. or am I overlooking another proxy that's available?
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Dec 18 2014 03:27 PM
It looks like it costs $50 to register as an onsite bidder in addition to having to purchase a ticket to get into the auction.
The BP is 15% onsite and 17% absentee. Certainly not what we're accustomed to with petroliana auctions.
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Dec 18 2014 06:08 PM
Just got my bidder # for the automobile auction...if you're a registered bidder for that, the petro auction is included.

And in regard to vetting items...how in the heck can an auction company personally vouch for 1600 items...that's ridiculous.

If you're a buyer do your own research.
Posted By: JUNK KING Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Dec 18 2014 08:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil

If you're a buyer do your own research.

After all there's the constant banter to protect the uninformed on ebay but " CAVEAT EMPTOR " for everyone else.
There's no excuse for uninformed millionaires.
Posted By: blacktee Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Dec 18 2014 09:31 PM
Don't throw me out here but I think it's ridiculous for most old gassers to think of bidding. All the times I've seen auctions like this with BJ. The prices will be crazy out there.

I did a quick look at the Texaco items and they look legit to me, I'll look again and at Havoline if there's any. We should each look at a group we are familiar with and write Cory if we see something with ?s.

Okay I went back and searched Texaco, Havoline, Indian Gas, Red Indian and Caltex. I'll ask you guys, The only thing (s) I found were Lots 8785 & 9493. Looks like they've taken 6 foot Logo signs and added neon to them and you end up loosing a side. Do you think this should be mentioned in the descriptions ? I do.

Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 12:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
And in regard to vetting items...how in the heck can an auction company personally vouch for 1600 items...that's ridiculous.

My 2 cents for what it's worth. If companies like Barrett Jackson and Morphy want to be the Christie's of the automobilia auctions then YES THEY SHOULD vouch for the authenticity of their items especially given the ridiculous premiums they are charging! If they can't authenticate it then they shouldn't sell it! Both companies have "experts" who are highly paid and charged with dealing with these type of items and THEY should be the ones doing the research as to whether or not the items presented to them are authentic!

That said...the Frontier globe is legit and it's the first one I've seen go to auction. I just wish it was at the Iowa Gas auction instead of this one were many have millions of dollars but sometimes little knowledge of what they are buying in this category so I could get a sense of what it's worth in the "real world". But if I see that Deep Rock on capco gets something like $500 I will be sending them several of my globes for their next auction.

The Frontier globe link.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Ev...mp-globe-179651
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 12:24 AM
It's "Superlative"!
Posted By: gmstuff Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 12:59 AM
RARIN TO GO, you just nailed it.

I'm not attacking BJ, I just find it ridiculous that a world class company can not find intelligent enough people to determine what is real and what is fake, even based on pictures.

I am 25 years old and can look through those 1600 items and separate the reproduction items in about 20 minutes. It's not hard people.

Kevin
Posted By: 63shelby Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 01:11 AM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH BLACKTEE AND RARIN TO GO & GMSTUFF!! That was exactly my point, some members (NAMES WHITHHELD) should take notice of your great attitude and willingness to help !!
Posted By: Jarvis Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 02:22 AM
I asked Rory in the last 2 auctions if he would put in his listing if the globes are complete or singles. Globe collectors want to know if there are chips or cracks. A $5000 globe mising back lens is only worth half. How can a globe guy bid if he doesn't know if It's complete or not.
I will pass on bIdding in this the auction....
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 02:54 AM

It would be nice if it was that simple. There are people that have been deep in the petroliana hobby (and business) for 30 to 35 years or more that have been burned on unmarked repros in the area of the hobby they specialize in. A lot of collectors can pick out the easy to spot things like the Gulf sign that prompted a lot of this discussion. When it comes to the really well done fake signs and globes there's no one person that can catch them all.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 03:06 AM
John, Some of the globes are listed as single lens. I'm not sure that means the rest have both lenses. Pictures of both sides would be helpful.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 03:24 AM
Originally Posted By: RARIN TO GO
It's "Superlative"!

Condition: Body: 8.0 Lenses: 9.0+

I think this will be a rare instance when paint missing on a ripple doesn't have much effect on the overall price of a globe.
Posted By: porcelain-neon Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 12:51 PM
Guys, Rory is no amateur, he, and his father have been buying and selling petro for probably 50 years. I am sure it would be a safe bet to say they have handled and seen more stuff than everyone else on Oldgas put together.
Posted By: Highway66 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 01:28 PM
Originally Posted By: porcelain-neon
Guys, Rory is no amateur, he, and his father have been buying and selling petro for probably 50 years. I am sure it would be a safe bet to say they have handled and seen more stuff than everyone else on Oldgas put together.

That's a VERY BOLD Statement. If their knowlege of petroliana was so grand, (more "than everyone else on Oldgas put together" ) I don't think this thread would exist. I think a few people would agree with me on that.
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 01:45 PM
gmstuff, if your that well educated in Petroliana by the time your 25 years old why would BJ need to hire someone to tell everyone whats fake and original.. it easy right ? NOT !
Posted By: s932 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 03:29 PM
I know some will get butt hurt with what I'm about to write here but I got broad shoulders so here goes. This auction is not for the average collector that most of us on this site are. I'm sure there are some that can play with big boys here but most of us can not. The reason I say this these guys who are putting together million dollar collections don't care if a gm neon sign is real or not. It's not the focal point of there collection and most who come and see there collection would not remember the neon sign. Now most of us if given the chance to own an gm neon sign it would be the focal point of our collection. Also I'm just using a gm neon as an example. To further my point look at what some of these people pay for gas pumps at this auction. I'm not trying to defend bj auctions or Rory but at the end of the day we are not there target customers for this auction.
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 03:31 PM
Well said Shawn
Posted By: muntzman Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 04:11 PM
Shawn I disagree with the idea that those with million $ collections don't care if an item is real or not. Those with sufficient coin to spend on the high $ items are as interested in owning the most rare examples as we are. I believe the fact that repop's get into some collections is not a purposeful act, but results from wanting to get a collection put together quickly without the pain of long term research and experience.
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 04:17 PM
I'm not for auction companies purposely advertising a piece to be authentic when they know it's not....but on the flip side...
there are so many in our hobby trying to rescue people that have no desire to be saved.

Shawn is right..there is a segment of collectors that flat out do not care. You can shake your fist at those who make and sell repops...but the reality is that there is a huge and booming market for it. You can get mad about it, you can curse anyone who knowingly or unknowingly sells it...but the real problem is the people buying it like little kids wanting more candy.

As stated..if you have a problem with something from an auction house that advertises here..I'm confident if you contact them they will look into it. Slinging mud at them is not the answer.
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 04:39 PM
I'm not for auction companies purposely advertising a piece to be authentic when they know it's not....but on the flip side...
there are so many in our hobby trying to rescue people that have no desire to be saved.

Shawn is right..there is a segment of collectors that flat out do not care. You can shake your fist at those who make and sell repops...but the reality is that there is a huge and booming market for it. You can get mad about it, you can curse anyone who knowingly or unknowingly sells it...but the real problem is the people buying it like little kids wanting more candy.

As stated..if you have a problem with something from an auction house that advertises here..I'm confident if you contact them they will look into it. Slinging mud at them is not the answer.

Absolutely been what I've been saying for years on OLDGAS,
Posted By: Jarvis Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 04:42 PM
Good point Shawn... Also keep in mind these guys like Ron that bit paid big money but also seen many high end pieces go real cheap. Many of these big car collectors are wanting gas pumps and globes and signs to decorate. Some don't care if there is a repop in the mix. Most of them have pickers that they buy from... Doubt they are out digging through attics or ebay buying. End of the day when they are auctioning I would hope Rory or morphy or any other auction company would treat a guy with millions or a guy with $500 the same. Anyone spending money with an auction company needs to keep in mind the guy with $500 could have millions later.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 04:56 PM
When auction house charge 15% or more to auction petro and are experts in the hobby I would expect they look at every piece and give there advise on condition and info of double sided sign or complete globe or where it's original or repop.

If not than what makes them any different than any other auction company that had no BP.
Posted By: Pegasus Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 05:05 PM
I was wondering if anyone was going to call you out on this statement. Let's see....20 minutes is 1200 seconds....which means you can spend less than one second looking at a picture to determine accurately whether the item depicted is authentic? Sounds like either an absurd claim or a GROSS exaggeration. Since I don't know you personally Kevin I'll assume it's the latter. As others have said, it's often difficult for even the most knowledgeable collectors to get it right with an item in hand.

Just as interesting to me is WHY you chose to publically criticize Rory or BJ for bringing more petroliana to the market. Sounds a bit like "penis envy"....his is bigger and better than yours so you attack him to cover-up any shortcomings. Of course, by "his" I mean his collection or his business or whatever.

Let be realistic.....this is the internet. It's not like everything you read on the internet is true or accurate, right?

Richard
Posted By: gmstuff Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 09:03 PM
Guys guys guys, lets all take a chill pill and put our guns away.

Pegasus, impressive math problem, however, you missed my point.

Wes, I think you and I both know that some stuff is obviously fake and some stuff it is nearly impossible to tell, even in person. You missed my point. The items that are obvious, that even me, a little ole no-it-all rookie 25 year old can pick out, are being advertised as real. How can we justify this as being a good thing for our hobby?

Guys on this site will absolutely crucify someone for selling unmarked reproductions. Am I correct? However when a celebrity offers falsely advertised items for sale, we hold his jock strap for him?

That makes no sense.

There is no place for people like that in this hobby. Weather it is little Jim Bob Smith who has a small garage with a dozen rusty oil cans and beat up pump he adores, or a multi millionaire with every porcelain sign known to man kind.
Posted By: Highway66 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 09:06 PM
Guys guys guys, lets all take a chill pill and put our guns away.

Pegasus, impressive math problem, however, you missed my point.

Wes, I think you and I both know that some stuff is obviously fake and some stuff it is nearly impossible to tell, even in person. You missed my point. The items that are obvious, that even me, a little ole no-it-all rookie 25 year old can pick out, are being advertised as real. How can we justify this as being a good thing for our hobby?

Guys on this site will absolutely crucify someone for selling unmarked reproductions. Am I correct? However when a celebrity offers falsely advertised items for sale, we hold his jock strap for him?

That makes no sense.

There is no place for people like that in this hobby. Weather it is little Jim Bob Smith who has a small garage with a dozen rusty oil cans and beat up pump he adores, or a multi millionaire with every porcelain sign known to man kind.

BOOM! That's strong and well put.
Posted By: gmstuff Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 09:12 PM
I'm sure some of the pro collectors will not agree with me based solely on my age. And I am OK with that! Everyone is entitled to an opinion and nobody has to agree!

(By the way, I have been around this stuff since I could walk, My father has been collecting for over 35 years and my brother for about a decade, So I am not as stupid as some of you may believe)

But, I hope the one thing we can all agree on is that there is NO place for falsely advertised pieces in this hobby.
Posted By: redindianguy Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 09:43 PM
if we all had the same opinion it would be pretty boring . That's the great thing that we take for granted in the countries we live in , is the freedom we do have , to have different opinions . I like seeing these "discussions" on here . I think they are great , good points by all . Education is what I like to call it .
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Dec 19 2014 10:10 PM

But, I hope the one thing we can all agree on is that there is NO place for falsely advertised pieces in this hobby.

Well put. I do think we should give sellers the chance to correct inaccurate descriptions. That's why I think it's best to notify the auction company privately before we get on a forum talking about people getting ripped off.
If they don't remedy the inaccurate descriptions and let the item cross the block while being misrepresented then that's when the gloves should come off.
Posted By: Hud Oil Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 20 2014 01:28 AM
I had a very experience fellow with the last name of Elza sell me fisk tire sign in Columbus a few years ago and told me it was real, and found later that it wasn't and asked for money back and it never happened, wouldn't even return my emails, so you really never know who the good guys are???
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached picture 2485.JPG
Posted By: Rory Brinkman Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 20 2014 06:01 AM
Gentlemen: Lots of activity since I posted the original auction notice. Please understand that putting on a 1600 lot auction is no small endeavor…in fact this will be the largest automobilia, petrolinia auction ever. I had five days to photograph, describe, measure every item in the collection and given the work parameters of everything still hanging (some at 35 feet or higher above the floor with all the cars still placed underneath) it was no small task. If you read the catalog you will see that reproduction items are marked as such and same with tin or porcelain signs which have been restored.
The Gulf sign in question I examined today. If it's a fake..it's very good. It was part of a small Kansas museum collection that Ron purchased around 2002.
The sign appears to be factory painted (not dot matrix or silk screened) The white shows a hint of yellowing and age spots. There is light crazing present in the lettering. If you examine the hardware the nuts and bolts are completely fused and it looks like the sign has not been removed from the frame in decades. If you look under the flange where the bolts run through the sign mounting holes the paint has popped and rusted due to electrolysis and the paint is continuous under which I would interpret as meaning not a repaint.

So if you have information regarding it being a fake or who is making signs of this quality please do tell. When there's a questionable piece in an auction the respectful thing to do is to call the auction company and convey your opinion.

My cell # is 612-581-9189

Also if you're looking to bid on an item and would like more detailed photos or information concerning a particular piece please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Rory

Description: Double-sided Gulf Oil tin curb sign.
Attached picture Gulf 1.JPG

Description: Light yellowing and age spots in field.
Attached picture Gulf 2.jpg

Description: Faint crazing present in lettering.
Attached picture Gulf 3.jpg

Description: Nuts and bolts are completely fused as one due to rust. Sign cannot be removed from frame without removing nuts and bolts.
Attached picture Gulf 4.jpg
Posted By: Maxgas Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 20 2014 12:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Wes Hague

Absolutely been what I've been saying for years on OLDGAS,

I call people like this "CROWS" they don't care where the item came from or if it is authentic or not they just want something bright and shinny to show everyone.
Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 20 2014 01:06 PM
I have never had experience with Brinkman auctions, but I feel that from what Ive seen, they put on a first class job. Rory is obviously trying to do a good job here, and given the circumstances, He is doing all that he can.
As for Keith and Kevin Elza..They are very experienced in what they do. I have known them very well for 5+ years, and they have always bought some of the best automobillia smalls and display items I know of. They would not to to cheat anyone or start any arguments unfoundedly.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 20 2014 01:34 PM
Wes, I think Maxgas was agreeing with you and Shawn, and was calling the people that don't care about authenticity crows.
Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 20 2014 01:41 PM
I can see this turn on the tread causing more problems than it solves...
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 20 2014 01:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Hud Oil
I had a very experience fellow with the last name of Elza sell me fisk tire sign in Columbus a few years ago and told me it was real, and found later that it wasn't and asked for money back and it never happened, wouldn't even return my emails, so you really never know who the good guys are???
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won't comment on whether or not the seller involved is a good guy or not because I don't know the details of the transaction, but when a collector with the knowledge and experience of Wendell can be fooled by a fake it shows that it's not as simple to spot the fakes as some think.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 20 2014 01:52 PM
Originally Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke
I can see this turn on the tread causing more problems than it solves...

So it's ok to publicly call out an auction company for an inaccurate description for something they haven't even sold yet (and appears they will remedy the description now that they've been made aware of the problem), but it's not ok to call out people for selling fakes as originals in private deals?
Posted By: blacktee Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 20 2014 02:27 PM

I wonder what it would be like with everyone from oldgas/this thread in a room with name tags on at this auction ? LMAO Where is Mark Gulf???? on all this ? I'd love to hear his opinion on this piece.

On another note Why does no body say anything about one, yes one photo on items that go hundreds, thousands of dollars.

Doug
Posted By: Maxgas Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 20 2014 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
Wes, I think Maxgas was agreeing with you and Shawn, and was calling the people that don't care about authenticity crows.

YES I WAS. Nothing wrong but was mentioned earlier in this or another post about how it is looked down on on this site. It's not for me (Fake,punched,or drilled fantasy pieces) but I would say there is a larger majority of non-authentic collectors that coincides with the automobile and Hot Rod market then all of us combined.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Dec 22 2014 12:42 PM
Originally Posted By: blacktee

I wonder what it would be like with everyone from oldgas/this thread in a room with name tags on at this auction ? LMAO Where is Mark Gulf???? on all this ? I'd love to hear his opinion on this piece.

On another note Why does no body say anything about one, yes one photo on items that go hundreds, thousands of dollars.

Doug

...I would have posted before, but y'all were having so much fun without me...and I thought the matter had pretty much been settled...

...the Gulf sign in that frame is as fake, as the day is long...it was obvious to me at first blush...maybe the frame is old (maybe an ice cream sign in a past life?) but the fonts used on that sign are WAY off (typeset using a computer)...the Gulf logo is laughable...it's obvious to me that whoever did the artwork for this sign has a very poor grasp of design...

...hmmm...how does one get a job vetting items for the big auction houses, anyway? I could always use some side-work...
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Dec 22 2014 01:57 PM
how does one get to be a Qualified and Certified expert in the field ?
Posted By: oiljobber Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Dec 22 2014 02:33 PM
Interesting thread. I originally got into car collecting 25 years ago and have slowly migrated also into memorabilia. I have both bought and sold at RM, Gooding, Mecum and Barrett-jackson. They all do a first class job of running an auction. I usually consign cars to the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction and go to buy at their Palm Beach sale. I've talked to Roy numerous times and he does a first class job. Extremely professional.

After reading this thread I think it's laughable that there are guys who've never been to these auctions yet try to hurl stones. The problem with the internet is it empowers too many people who become self appointed experts. Until you've actually been to any of these auctions and participated I really don't think you have any reason for input. Just my two cents.

And it's ironic that the young buck "a self appointed expert" who decided to hurl the stones was involved in selling a fake to a fellow collector and then never had the courtesy or morals to do the right thing. Now that is funny.

Everyone in the car world is excited for this auction.
Posted By: blacktee Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Dec 22 2014 02:53 PM
how does one get to be a Qualified and Certified expert in the field ?

It's only open to U.S. Residents.

Qualified Experts ? I have seen most make big mistakes Wes. I would say the group at oldgas.com does a pretty good job on most items. Then it's up to you to decide.
Posted By: texacokie Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Dec 22 2014 02:57 PM
Originally Posted By: oiljobber
Until you've actually been to any of these auctions and participated I really don't think you have any reason for input. Just my two cents.

I agree with most of what you said, BUT when you made this quote it sounds like you meant if you don't have the means to attend one of these auctions you don't have a reason for input? I totally disagree as collectors we all have a right to a opinion be it right or wrong and if anyone here does spot a reproduction or questionable sign it just helps all in the long run.
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Dec 22 2014 03:00 PM
ha,ha,ha,,, my question was meant to be taken with a grin Doug,, if you know what I mean ?
I've been in the gas and oil collectibles since the late 80's and in the industry since the 60's and I consider myself a very long way from an expert.. just a guy with some knowledge on the subject.. and always learning
Posted By: blacktee Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Dec 22 2014 03:13 PM
James Ryan writes:

After reading this thread I think it's laughable that there are guys who've never been to these auctions yet try to hurl stones. The problem with the internet is it empowers too many people who become self appointed experts. Until you've actually been to any of these auctions and participated I really don't think you have any reason for input. Just my two cents.

WOW James Ryan !!! So it's open to internet bidding but these people have no right voicing their opinions ? What is really laughable is the amount auction houses charge both the seller and buyer and using a 10 word descriptions and one photo for describing items that are worth thousands of dollars.
Posted By: oiljobber Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Dec 22 2014 03:14 PM
Texacokie...
I see how you might have taken that. People get the wrong impression about the big time auctions...you don't have to have money to participate. All of these companies also auction off $8,000 to $20,000 cars too...you just don't see them on television. It does take money..to participate during Prime Time cars but that's a whole different world.
I see these same comments on the car blogs regarding these same auction houses. And usually the people hurling the stones have never been and will never participate. It's their form of empowerment. Gooding and Company is probably the leader in the field..and they just sold a Ferrari for 17 Million at Pebble. And you should see all the stones hurled at that company. Guys who weren't there, who never will attend and have no experience in the auction world were blogging that the car didn't sell, that it was a fake, etc. And it was all baloney. What my grandson would describe as "haters".
Through my experience the thing to do if you see something listed in an auction that you feel is an inaccurate..call the auctioneer up.
But no...all levels of collectors attend these auctions and there are great buys. Not every car goes high (which I have found out as a consignor..that's another story).
Posted By: texacokie Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Dec 22 2014 03:47 PM
I know one thing I have been to these auctions and the advice I would give is don't bid online just looking at the pictures. These cars and gas and oil items need to be seen and touched in person before bidding and then sometimes you can still get stung.
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Tue Dec 23 2014 10:04 PM
I have been to many auctions over the years. A lot were estate sales and farm auctions. I have been to the Barrett Jackson Auction in Scottsdale eight times. As with all auctions, it is most important to see the item and decide for your self what it is worth to you. I would never bid online at these auctions. Too costly and online is no fun. Until you participate in the auction arena, you are missing a whole lot of life! I should say that at every auction, in which there were signs, advertising and other collectables, there is usually a piece or two, that is questionable. If you listen to the opening announcements of any auction company, they address this issue, as best they can? Some things can and will fall through the cracks, on occasion. Rest assured that repeatable auction houses work very hard to eliminate any errors. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: redindianguy Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Dec 27 2014 06:05 PM
Good job by everyone on old gas for their opinions . I find you all have input that counts . I have been collecting since I was 13 or younger . Clerked at auctions all around my area of Ontario when I was 13 (in the 70's) and up as a clerk . When you actually collected the money from people . No numbers . I am now older than I would like to be . But I appreciate everyones input , especially on the USA items I am not as familiar with . Have made friends on here from Canada to California . As with anything in life " HAVING AN OPEN MIND " will determine how much we learn .
Posted By: Chevrolet SS Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 31 2014 01:32 AM
11 days to go......

Attached picture Ron_Pratte_1.jpg
Attached picture Ron_Pratte_2.jpg
Posted By: texacokie Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 31 2014 01:39 AM
(DROOLING) cool
Posted By: coheley5 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 31 2014 01:48 AM
Yes drooling , but for some reason it makes me sad to see a collection pulled down and sold no matter who's it is.
Posted By: texacokie Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 31 2014 01:52 AM
Originally Posted By: coheley5
Yes drooling , but for some reason it makes me sad to see a collection pulled down and sold no matter who's it is.

Or you could look at it as we can have christmas all over again for ourselves!
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 31 2014 02:27 AM
Wow! What a building! I can see the Superbird that I've been wanting for some time now!
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 31 2014 02:30 AM
Awesome stuff! How about that 70 Hemi Charger?! Gotta love the B-bodies.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 31 2014 03:30 AM
Man that Pegasus ride is great even the grandson can "drive" that one. Just one horse power in that motor but it flies!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 31 2014 05:34 AM
Wow, amazing photo's. Dodge b-bodies are sweet...doesn't get much better then a 70 red hemi Charger with the hood call out decals. If you are going to buy a winged car...a Daytona is a better car to own. However they command two to three times what a Superbird is worth.
Posted By: 63shelby Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Dec 31 2014 06:45 AM
We'll since one of my comments at the start of this thread started a big BRU HAHA I've kept my mouth shut. But I stick by my original sentiment and statement which simply was/is those that are "in the know" should help the ones on this site that are not...after all this is supposed to be a site of "friends helping out friends with interests in common" right ?....
Lot's of people have stood up for Rory and Co. since this started and I'm not taking anything away from those statements or Them but I will say this...I sent Rory a email on the 20th regarding a item I know 100% is advertised wrong and as of yet I have not heard back from him and the listing has not changed...???
This is not a big ticket item and almost all on this site will not be interested in it anyways but I happen to have one and know it shouldn't be advertised as its being advertised...so in essence I'm shooting myself in the foot as far as value is concerned on this item so I hope that goes to my credibility when I say and said before...if you know something is "Fugaisy-Fake-Fantasy" call it out !! don't assume because you believe someone or some company is "reputable" they will do the right thing...because whether or not by oversight, lack of knowledge, or deceit no one person or company is beyond reproach...Let's help each other out ??
For the record...the item I'm speaking of is the Sareco Straight Run Gasoline globe listed in auction ( sorry don't have auction # handy),they were NOT made for Disney that I know, knowing that I can safely assume there were probably more than 20 made (that's just a guess)..So I've spoken to the one thing I know for sure is false, hopefully others will do the same and we can save each other some hard-earned $$$ ???
I know my opinion isn't the most popular out there...but It's as honest as I can be, so be it...
Pete
Posted By: Mike M. Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Jan 01 2015 03:31 AM
Fyi, Rory is a tad bit busy with this right now but knowing him, if there is a question on something he will probably bring it up at auction time.

Barrett Jackson controls the auction and Rory just helps run it. Contact Barrett Jackson!
Posted By: powerlube Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Jan 01 2015 04:45 AM
Is anyone from old gas attending the auction onsite?
Posted By: Highway66 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Jan 01 2015 07:37 AM
I will be there in person.
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Jan 01 2015 01:20 PM
I will be there in person.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Jan 01 2015 05:05 PM
Finally got to see all the stuff, Very nice stuff. I would wonder what the projection is as far as value to this and value of the autos?
Posted By: PlainBroke Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Jan 02 2015 12:09 PM
I'll be there Saturday thru Wednesday.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Jan 05 2015 02:04 PM
I'll be at home here in North Dakota, even though I'd rather be there to view such a great collection!
I did finally finish up my online bidder registration with some help from Rory Brinkman! Being a newbie to the BJ sales machine was a little confusing, but I got it straight now and I'm ready to bid as soon as "Live Global Bid" contacts me and that is supposed to happen on Thursday or Friday morning at the latest.
There's only about 15 items that have caught my eye, but to be realistic, I'd be happy with one or two of them.
Sounds like quite a few Old Gassers will be there, so a few days in the sun will be a fun time for those involved!
I'm pretty sure this sale will be talked about for a long time into the future! Good luck everyone!
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Jan 05 2015 05:53 PM
I've had 2 people phone me about problems getting registered for this sale, and maybe this will help!
This is for absentee bidding from home only.

You will need to email them 2 completed forms:
1--Absentee Bidding Request Form
2--Automobilia Auction Bidder Agreement
You will also have to indicate your method of payment on the bidder agreement form. Anything but a check requires a deposit in the amount of 10% of the bid limit you request. If paying by check, you only need a Bank Letter of Guaranty, and there is a form to be printed out that your banker can use to draft the letter. Send this letter to Rory via email, along with the other 2 forms.
All of these forms are available on the BJ website.
The fastest is to completely fill them out and sign them----scan them to your computer--then email them to Rory.
His email address is: Brinkman@barrett-jackson.com

Hope this helps anyone having trouble.
Posted By: Sparky27 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Jan 05 2015 08:11 PM
Thanks, I sent my forms in on 12/8 and still no follow-up. I'l try again.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Jan 05 2015 08:37 PM
Try emailing Rory at the address I posted and see if he doesn't follow up for you. I kinda think that maybe they are so swamped with this sale, that they don't have time to follow up on all of it the way it should be.
It would be a shame for them if a few bidders fall thru the cracks because of insufficient paperwork.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Jan 10 2015 03:21 PM
Online and watching! I haven't bid on anything yet, but the bidding company was very helpful getting set up! They are really moving along quickly, and if you want something, you'll have to bid quickly! 30 inch Red Crown just brought $4000!
Posted By: leonardoil Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Jan 10 2015 03:23 PM
If not registered can you watch?
Jim
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Jan 10 2015 04:15 PM
Not sure Jim?

Globe prices are extremely high! Very obvious that the crowd has no concept of globe values!

Skelly premium glass bodied globe just brought $1700!
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Jan 10 2015 06:46 PM
A Phillips 77 globe with no wings on the glass, and in a Capco body, just brought $8000!
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Jan 10 2015 06:50 PM
When I was at the Vegas show the average time per item of automobilia was 30 sec! It actually is hard to stay current and write down the winning bid, go to the washroom (or is it a Restrom?! LOL), etc.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Jan 10 2015 09:14 PM
A nice Skychief globe just brought $3000 and the next one up was a Bay on white ripple that brought $2200 ?????
Posted By: mikey Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Jan 10 2015 09:35 PM
Peddle cars are doing good. signs are doing great.
Posted By: powerlube Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sat Jan 10 2015 11:29 PM
How did the signs do any way to see the results?
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 12:26 AM
Signs were phenominal!
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 12:29 AM
Did you see the Buffalo license plate topper ? Wonder what the percentage is that he has to pay BJ
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 12:30 AM
Did you see the Westland Porcelain Arrow?? Holy Moly!
Posted By: minuteman Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 12:56 AM
you know who's buying that Kevin....should say bought!! lol
going back to North Dakota...w/ the lic. topper..
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 01:13 AM
I know! I was on the phone with him today!
Posted By: Chevrolet SS Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 01:19 AM
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
Online and watching! I haven't bid on anything yet, but the bidding company was very helpful getting set up! They are really moving along quickly, and if you want something, you'll have to bid quickly! 30 inch Red Crown just brought $4000!

That was a 42" Red Crown - Lot #7231.1
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 01:25 AM
You're right Ron--My typo mistake, as I knew that!
Posted By: Chevrolet SS Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 01:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
Did you see the Buffalo license plate topper ? Wonder what the percentage is that he has to pay BJ

Sure did......

Onsite bidder is 15%
Online is 18%
Posted By: Chevrolet SS Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 01:31 AM
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
Signs were phenominal!

If Day 1 is the trend for the rest of the week......I'm in trouble laugh

It's no fun watching from the sidelines blush
Posted By: mikey Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 01:31 AM
Pedal cars 4 over 10500.00 several in 6000 to 7000 dollars
hancock db sided with rooster 60 inch 11200.00
Phillips sign 72x72 8250.00
Sunray dx natural 14,560
Gulf sign everybody was talking about being fake 1680.00]
good prices no doubt
Posted By: Sparky27 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 01:44 AM
Managed to get a nice Mohawk clock. Missed out on my other two but I stuck to my guns and didn't overbid on them. Disappointed on the added items were unavailable to online yet they were in the catalog.

Overall great job by Rory and the team. It ran perfect and without a hitch.
Posted By: texacokie Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 01:50 AM
It is good to see the prices are strong I was glued to the computer most of the day watching.
Posted By: PlainBroke Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 02:03 AM
I sat in the third row all day today (Sat) and it was just absolutely insane what was going on. Pure madness is about the only thing I can think to describe it. Seemed like every globe sold set a new world record for price. Hope most the deep pockets got their fill today and won't be back for more on Sunday. Yeah I know wishful thinking.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 05:09 AM
The Bay on white ripple had major damage to the base.
Many globes sold for triple or quadruple what they were worth. Some sold for many, many times their worth.
The globe buyers thus far are clueless about what they were buying. The Apco Regular sold for $1100, Richfield Ethyl for $3400, Atlantic for $1400, 12 1/2" American found a new home for $1600, Skelly Premium $1700.
The $4K Red Crown sign didn't surprise me nearly as much as the $1000 Valvoline flanged tin sign or the $3000 Shell Charge Cards sign, or the Diamond 760 sign that went for $6500.
Those prices don't include the 15% buyers premium or the nearly 9% sales tax!
Posted By: mikey Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 01:09 PM
You are right the shell sign and diamond i was shocked, but you have people with money get caught up, & want it it doesn't matter. I can see paying higher price if it is for your collection, u may not find the piece for a long time, i would do it. But for re
sell I think it may be tough.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 01:39 PM
Smart enough, or lucky enough, to gain/accumulate wealth.
Dumb enough to waste it.
You could buy this all day long on ebay for $225-$250.

Attached picture ScreenShot007.jpg
Posted By: Chevrolet SS Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C.
Smart enough, or lucky enough, to gain/accumulate wealth.
Dumb enough to waste it.
You could buy this all day long on ebay for $225-$250.

Did you buy it? NO
So why are you worried about it?
Maybe the "Smart enough, or Lucky enough" don't have the time to search eBay, Craigslist, Facebook, AuctionZip, etc. all day long looking. They are out making an honest living and can spend however they please.

Have a great day, as I'm off to day 2 of Barrett-Jackson... cool
Posted By: hancock-oil Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 02:08 PM
Reproduction Gilmore sign Sold for $2200! Jim
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 02:23 PM
Some of these bidders have more dollars then sense.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 03:52 PM
with the prices they had yesterday, I elected to go fishing today instead. Fishing has been good we've caught four in about an hour.I guess I'll save my cash for Missouri and Peotone.
Posted By: Oil King Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 03:54 PM
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Live/Streaming/Video

Register to watch
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 03:57 PM
Not the common Joe six pack workin mans auction ,

What you expect it's Barrett Jackson For the high rollers

Must be nice !
Posted By: s932 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 04:59 PM
Good plan Kevin
Posted By: Highway66 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 05:16 PM

Yes, I've got to say this auction is getting wild!
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 05:52 PM
I agree 100% Ron,, don't doubt the guys with money,, they know what their doing,, and it's not sitting on Ebay or OLDGAS or Facebook,,, that's why they are there and the rest of us are not.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 06:21 PM
I wonder what percentage Ron Pratt is paying BJ. And you know what, its peoples money and how they spend it is their business. Many people laugh at me for buying the stuff I do, But I like it, and I like to fix it.
Posted By: tbert1 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 07:35 PM
Does anyone know what the gas pumps brought?
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 07:42 PM
Tokheim 850 just brought $7500
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 07:45 PM
if you are wanting to sell off a collection know is the time this might drive the prices up.......m2c
Posted By: tbert1 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 08:09 PM
Is there a listing on BJ's website with a listings of the completeted items? I'll looked and didn't see anything.
Posted By: mikey Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 09:07 PM
yes just sign in, go to docket gas auction should take you there
Posted By: Steven C. Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Sun Jan 11 2015 09:41 PM
I agree 100% Ron,, don't doubt the guys with money,, they know what their doing

LOL!! Maybe on some days. But today I think they've all had to much to drink!!
Posted By: JUNK KING Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Jan 12 2015 01:06 AM
Way to much.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Jan 12 2015 03:15 AM
Jeez, crazy prices!
Posted By: signgod2112 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Jan 12 2015 03:38 AM
Lot #7460 30" DSP Conoco Ethyl Burst sign $1500 or less all day long on ebay. Sold for $7840.00

Lot #7507 24" Sunray DX Natural Power Oils, SSP, Octagon shape sold for $14,560.

Seriously crazy prices!!!!
Posted By: s932 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Jan 12 2015 09:30 AM
If you read my earlier post I wrote most of these guys don't care if there gm neon is a repro or not. It should have said shell aviation fantasy piece 10k yesterday for the Jewell
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Jan 12 2015 06:43 PM
Sinclair Aircraft just brought $35K
Posted By: texacokie Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Jan 12 2015 07:21 PM
That Neon Skylark Aviation that sold for 25K was sweet!
Posted By: BryceG Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Jan 12 2015 08:17 PM
some of the neon prices seem more realistic... like the 'Garage' neon
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Jan 12 2015 08:24 PM
The Sinclair aircraft at $35K sounds like a lot better deal than the 10K for the fake shell sign.
Posted By: texacokie Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Jan 12 2015 10:16 PM
I am surprised the dual wayne 60 showcase pumps did not fetch more than they did.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Mon Jan 12 2015 10:49 PM
Were they fantasy put together as first stated or originally a dual?
Posted By: texacokie Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Tue Jan 13 2015 12:10 AM
Oh they were fantasy pieces?
Posted By: gaspower Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Jan 14 2015 04:56 AM
I don't know what's more absurd, 10K for the fantasy Shell sign or 250K for that fake Beverly Hillbillies car. You could have bought a real classic Packard or Cadillac!
Posted By: blacktee Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Wed Jan 14 2015 10:38 PM

So did Barrett Jackson buy Ron Pratte's signs and globes ? Or are they selling all his signs, globes for Ron ?

Thanks
Posted By: Rory Brinkman Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Jan 15 2015 02:22 AM
Barrett-Jackson does not purchase any of the items crossing it's block. Ron Pratte's collection was consigned to us. Last year's auction had over 48 consignors consisting of 700 items. This year we were blessed with over 1600 items consigned by Ron Pratte with another 400 items from approximately 14 collections. I purchase items for my personal collection, for clients and some items which I am able to consign to the sale myself.
Regards,
Rory

Posted By: Sparky27 Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Jan 15 2015 02:58 AM
Rory, you and your team did a great job. All the crying over prices and everything is ridiculous, and misinformation about consigning is too funny to read about. I got a great clock at a reasonable price and a great story. Thanks for job well done.
Posted By: gaspower Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Jan 15 2015 04:53 AM
Does anyone know how the 10K fantasy Shell sign was presented at the auction? Did the auction company describe it as newly made?
Posted By: oiljobber Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Thu Jan 15 2015 06:42 AM
For those who weren't there...Pratte's cars were amazing last night. He bought the best and the prices clearly show it. As for the Beverly Hill Billies Truck...that was the actual George Barris original truck used in the TV show...they also sold the I love Lucy car and Christine last night (Tuesday night). The memorabilia auction was amazing and the strongest auction I have ever witnessed (need to up the coverage on my insurance). Purchased a few neons but not as many as I was hoping. The whole town is covered up with all of the world flying in for this weekend. Bonham's, RM and Gooding are all getting set to start to and can't wait to go preview them tomorrow (Gooding is my favorite after BJ). If you're a car guy Scottsdale in January is truly a pilgrimage to be made.
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Jan 16 2015 12:08 AM
I just got done with a complete inventory of all my signs, pumps, and containers and now I have to go back and triple all the prices. INSANE.
Ted
Posted By: hancock-oil Re: The Ron Pratte Collection Auction - Fri Jan 16 2015 12:46 AM
Ted
If you have a Hancock no smoking sign or PP I will give you what the ones sold for in BJ! LOL Jim
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk