Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: T-way Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Thu Oct 22 2009 01:57 PM
Good morning everyone.

You now have the chance to have your own 15.0" personalized custom lenses at a nominal charge. Much less than a Custom Lens run.

We are offering you the oppurtunity to personalize our standard 'Red Hat' lenses with whatever wording or phrase you would like.

Here is a shot of the lens. As you can see, you can have anything that will fit in the outside black border.

Price is $250/pair for the first pair - and only $185.00/pair for each additional pair ordered at the same time!

Drop us a note if you would like to order a set. Or give us a call on our Toll Free Number: 866.546.4067.

All orders placed by November 15 will be delivered in time for Christmas.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Thu Oct 22 2009 03:00 PM
Jim this is a C cool cool L idea smile Got me thinking now!!!
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Thu Oct 22 2009 03:59 PM
What size are the lenses Jim?
ALWAYS THOUGHT ABOUT HAVING LENSES MADE UP EXACTLY LIKE THE AVATAR I USE.
Posted By: van Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Thu Oct 22 2009 10:08 PM
How about starting with a clean face..and doing ALL our own graphics ?
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Thu Oct 22 2009 10:46 PM
...with the Red Hat set-up, Tway's only changing the black screen - the red will print the same every time...so he could print a bunch of the lenses with just the red, then while that's drying, set up a different black screen for each personalized order...basically, the one color is the only thing that's custom, that's why they're more affordable than a typical custom run, where every screen is custom...
Posted By: T-way Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Fri Oct 23 2009 12:14 PM
Doc and Van:

I also do Full Custom Lenses for those customers that want something that no one else has. I can certainly do the Invader design you show as an avatar Doc.

And we can make ANY SIZE you want: 13.5", 15.0" or 16.5". We even do custom sizes. I have an order in the works for some 10-5/16" lenses for an old Air Station.

If anyone wants a quote on a Custom Run - shoot me an e-mail with a .jpg reference image of what you want. Make sure to include the quantity you want produced, and I'll get a Quote back to you within 48 hours.

--------------------

And GF is correct about only having to output a new Film and a Screen for the 'Black' portion of the lens for each order. This is how I am able to keep the costs down for a 'semi-custom' lens.

However, the Black would be the first color screened and then the Red is registered to it.

You can't leave any screened (but un-fired) lenses sitting around for any length of time. You WILL get poo-poo in the frit that will ruin the lenses druing firing if you let them sit too long.

Later . . .

Jim
JIM, WHAT ABOUT THE LICENSING OF THE INVADER LOGO?
Posted By: T-way Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Sun Oct 25 2009 05:24 PM
Hey gang.

Here's some art I put together for Chris . . .

And I forgot to mention that the 'Black' portion of the lens can be changed to ANY COLOR you desire. Here is a 'Blue' version.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: T-way Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Sun Nov 01 2009 04:39 PM
Good day everyone.

Due to popular demand - we are adding another image to our 'Semi-customized' lens offerings.

This is the 'Thunderbird' logo from the IOMA (Independant Oil Men of America). The Red Hat lenses we posted eariler were also an IOMA logo prior to the IOMA being sued by Standard Oil for Trademark Infringment. Standard won and forced the IOMA to stop using the 'Red Hat' logo - so they went to the 'Thunderbird' logo.

Just like the Red Hat lenses, we are offering these 15.0" lenses at $250/pair for the first pair - and only $185.00/pair for each additional pair ordered at the same time!

You can get any wording that will fit in the outer area - and the 'Green' can be changed to any color you want also!

Drop us a note if you would like to order a set. Or give us a call on our Toll Free Number: 866.546.4067.

All orders placed by November 15 will be delivered in time for Christmas.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: BLange Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Sun Nov 01 2009 09:12 PM
I think "I" paid you for that art work!!!! I think you should use the other thunderbird logo that you were going to use for this. I had them made in black, green and blue.

Brian
Posted By: T-way Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 01:54 PM
That's funny Brian - I don't remember ever making you any lenses that said "YOUR WORDS OR SAYING HERE" on them?

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 02:43 PM
...computers are fantastic tools for creating (and recreating) artwork...but since the computer art stuff seems like magic to people who don't understand how the tricks are done, let's pull the curtain back here, shed a little light...

...opening an Illustrator file and retyping the words in the circle is 'cake', and probably won't take 5 minutes at most to change for every custom job, and another 5 to run the film...I'm sure whomever originally paid to have Thunderbird lenses recreated got charged for a lot more than 5 minutes of art time, as the eagle graphic would have taken at least 1.5-2.5 hours to source and recreate...

...when a client pays for artwork to be done, that's his artwork - it's not to be treated as clip art to be used whenever expedient...if the client doesn't pay, well it's fair game...

...to act like changing the lettering around the circle makes this a totally different design - completely unrelated to the previous job - is disingenuous at best...
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 02:58 PM
Gulfiend....I was kind of wondering when Brian would get an answer to his post. We got 7 pages over Don being tardy with delivery of a $15 part....
Posted By: T-way Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 04:47 PM
Pretty typical - those that don't have a dog in the fight seem to feel that they know the rules of the game.

I already had the Thunderbird artwork done for a lens that has yet to be introduced. It was already on my Red Hat lenses - and I had been retailing IOMA Thunderbird decals long before anyone asked for - or paid for - a Custom Run of lenses. Since that portion of the lens art was already done, I only charged Brian for the time it took to finish laying out the rest of the lens and setting up the files for screening. He was aware of that when he received my quote.

The only lens art the Brian 'owns' is the one that actually reads "The EMBLEM of DEPENDABILITY". For him to beleive that I would NEVER produce another lens with the Thunderbird on it is ludicrous. That was never part of the business transaction.

And yes, it takes less than 5 minutes to set an actual type font into a circle in my art program.

That being said - the text "The EMBLEM of DEPENDABILITY" is NOT a computer font. ALL that text was re-created when I did the art.

Even on the new Personalized lenses I am doing - I spend additional time on EACH letter making it conform to the imaginary inner and outer circles on the lens face. Something some of my competors don't bother with.

If anyone else has comments or questions - feel free to contact me directly at T-ways@email.com.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 05:16 PM
Jim, As long as they are marked or dated i don't care what you put on them. LOL
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 06:10 PM
...oh, Tway...I know the rules just fine thank you... wink
Posted By: T-way Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 06:31 PM
Really GF?

I don't remember you being in on ANY of the phone conversations Brian and I had during his project.

And I don't remember EVER selling you any Custom lenses or creating any artwork for you either.

So it stands to reason that you don't have a clue what you are talking about as far as what was said - or promised.

Jim
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 06:53 PM
...yawn...

...I know what Brian said in his post...I know business ethics...I know good design, Tway...
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 08:52 PM
just want to say that t-way has done several peices for me,and was nothing but professional about our dealings.also a top-notch grapic artist(he knows his stuff).and as far as service none-better.sorry mark,i had to put my 2 cents in!mick
Posted By: BLange Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 08:53 PM
I think it's ***** and unethical to use an image that a customer paid you for. You can tell by your condescending attitude towards me and my post that you really give a rats azz about me (the customer) and what I would think about it. Hell Jim you even used my globe to do your photoshop with! It has nothing to do with what’s legal; it’s about doing what’s right. In your mind it’s all about legality not ethics. Soooooo what’s the next image that I paid you for that you’re going to highjack???????????? You can change it a little and run it as your own. Bunch of BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great way to do business,

Brian
Posted By: BLange Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 09:09 PM
And you never told me that you already had the art, and the green was my idea. Where in the hell did you ever have a green Independent decal on your website?

Brian
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 09:25 PM
I don't mean to butt in, But a serious question that has always been on my mind is, That Independant logo was used in many variations from different Co. Quincy, etc. How can anyone hold the claim to it being their artwork ? Couldn't I make one from a sign I have and claim it as mine, or does it belong to Brian because he had one made first. Again, this is a serious question and not meant to offend either side. Thanks, Rick
Posted By: BLange Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 09:42 PM
Not sure KZ, but I do know I have pool league tonight and I have to get off the putter. A bar, a pool table and a couple beers, better not get back on here until tomorrow. LOL

Everyone play nice, don't let this thread get locked before I get back. HAHAHA

Seriously, I’m not happy about this, but I’m a realist and know there is nothing I can do if T-Way wants to run this globe, besides spend my money elsewhere.

Brian
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 09:44 PM
Originally Posted By: oldnfuelish
just want to say that t-way has done several peices for me,and was nothing but professional about our dealings.also a top-notch grapic artist(he knows his stuff).and as far as service none-better.sorry mark,i had to put my 2 cents in!mick

T-way was top notch to deal with. He Has made Decals & Ad Glass for me and cut me a Heck of Deal in Iowa on a set of lenses and Globe body. Very Friendly and easy to deal with.....
Posted By: s932 Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 10:07 PM
Im trying to understand this, If Tway is going out of his way and willing to produce a set of lenses with your name on them how is that using somebody elses artwork? Just because its the same color means nothing. Just my two cents keep up the good work T way
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 10:12 PM
This will give the other LITTLE Group something to MOAN about
BEHIND CLOSED DOORS ! LOL
Then return to oldgas FOR SALE Forum to sell their items.
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 10:14 PM
S392....what Brian's p*ssed about, is that he's saying he paid the vendor to generate a certain lens, and it that process, he apparently was charged a fee for generating the artwork to make said lens. Now, after the fact, he's saying that a portion of what he paid for, is being further used to make more lenses without any gain on his end. Now, I have ZERO clue what their original deal was, but that's what Brian is hacked off about.
Posted By: BLange Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 10:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
This will give the other LITTLE Group something to MOAN about
BEHIND CLOSED DOORS ! LOL
Then return to oldgas FOR SALE Forum to sell their items.

How is that part of the argument???
Posted By: BLange Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 10:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Seth Robbins
S392....what Brian's p*ssed about, is that he's saying he paid the vendor to generate a certain lens, and it that process, he apparently was charged a fee for generating the artwork to make said lens. Now, after the fact, he's saying that a portion of what he paid for, is being further used to make more lenses without any gain on his end. Now, I have ZERO clue what their original deal was, but that's what Brian is hacked off about.

You said that pretty good, thanks Seth.

Brian (from the little group)
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 10:22 PM
What I have always found amusing in this and many other previous disagreements like this one....is that there is a better than average chance that NEITHER Brian NOR T-Way have the honest to goodness LEGAL (not ethical, LEGAL) right to use that image. I'm sure if the right archivist, historian, corporate attorney etc, were to see the IOMA Thunderbird OR RedHat logo being reused today (regardless of the color), then cease & desist letters would come a'flying. Been there & Done that, I've been legal with General Motors, Texaco, Sinclair, Shell, Phillips, & ExxonMobil and others.....a claim I'm certain not many can make.
Posted By: BLange Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 10:26 PM
Originally Posted By: s932
Im trying to understand this, If Tway is going out of his way and willing to produce a set of lenses with your name on them how is that using somebody elses artwork? Just because its the same color means nothing. Just my two cents keep up the good work T way

I don't think you understand.

But I've spent good money with T-Way; 5 images, 3 lens runs, a pricey decal run and other stuff. Been happy with everything. So if you think I'm just some guy trying to stick it to old T-Way you would be very wrong!

Brian
Posted By: s932 Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 10:44 PM
Brian i dont think your trying to stick it to Tway. I am just asking a question and trying to understand the process.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 11:09 PM
topic may get locked,but it will have an explanation.wont just dissapear! poof!!
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 11:21 PM
I'm not to keen on entering this debate but I have to say something in regards to the art work that Jim has done. shortly after Jim bought the company, Jim told me of his idea to do this art and How he wanted them to be personalized, I told him at that time that I thought it would be a Great Idea . Shortly after that he showed me art that he had done for Both the IOMA Globes that he has Pictured on this site for sale, at that time I told him he should get started on them, But at that time he had plenty on his plate so they went on the back burner. Jim has Had Both the Red Hat & the Thunderbird art since he bought the company from Pogo. This is not something Jim dreamed up last night he has been working on this for some time now.Jim and I have done a lot of deals together , I've always known Jim to go the extra mile to help someone wanting a one off run of lenses, I've seen him destroy a ton of glass because it just wasen't up to his standards,and take a total loss on the lense run just so the buyer wouldn't find falt in his workmanship, Believe me he's a class act , this is not just a Hobby to Jim and Jodi it's there business and I think that this problem could be put to sleep with a Phone call
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 11:28 PM
I can see Brian's point here.

So what would be the "ethical" thing to do? Pay Brian back his money for the time spent to make the center logo?

I have never had any lenses made so i am not sure how this works but would Brian or T-way explain it for me. If John Doe calls wanting a custom set of lenses made for a gas station he's building does that mean the vendor can't sell them? Only Example i know is the Skelly Aviation Brian had made was a custom run right? Only so many (blank number) of sets made and no more? Is this something John Doe and Vendor work between them?

Just wanting to know how this all works.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 11:32 PM
just to clarify,my only point was to point out that jim knows what he is doing and has always been fair and honest with me.again,nonebetter!
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 11:35 PM
Chris, Jim told me also about making personalized globes last year at Peotone. I know is wasn't something he just came up with. I told him i could see guys buying them. He also talked about making colored frosted lenses. I liked that idea also... example would be i have a R.J. Oils 500 globe that is all red and if it had a red back frosted lens then it would cast a red glow on the wall. Is that just to anal or what! LOL Call me crazy but i like it!
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Tue Nov 03 2009 11:44 PM
I went back and read Jims post about the art work.

Jim Wrote "I already had the Thunderbird artwork done for a lens that has yet to be introduced. It was already on my Red Hat lenses - and I had been retailing IOMA Thunderbird decals long before anyone asked for - or paid for - a Custom Run of lenses. Since that portion of the lens art was already done, I only charged Brian for the time it took to finish laying out the rest of the lens and setting up the files for screening. He was aware of that when he received my quote.
The only lens art the Brian 'owns' is the one that actually reads "The EMBLEM of DEPENDABILITY". For him to beleive that I would NEVER produce another lens with the Thunderbird on it is ludicrous. That was never part of the business transaction."

If that is the case what Jim is doing is "ethical".

Still would like for someone to clarify how custom lenses work.
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Wed Nov 04 2009 12:16 AM
Buy the way Brian ,I liked the run Jim did for you on the thunderbird lenses ,I thought it was a great Idea to change up the color and why not it's just like the IOMA was , each one was different.To me I would want a color change,you know to step away from the Black,It's not that I'm trying to step on your toe's Brian I'm just thinking about two globes that would look great on the pumps in front of my shop that would be completly different from everyone elses including yours. it's not that they had to be green or blue just like yours ,I would have liked a Burgandy ,or a much darker green, that would have been more to my taste.But To me these globes represented differences whether it's color or in the name, but no matter how ya cut it there going to be different. And To Me Thats what draws me/us to this hobby. I know I'm all about being different Just ask someone who knows me. LOL
Posted By: souperhigh Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Wed Nov 04 2009 01:51 AM
Seth,
It was a $105.95 part.
Wasn't tardy. Sold something on buy it now and did not have it in stock. Kinda like selling oil in pipelines that you don't have.
hmmmm. I wish him well as this hobby needs as many quality vendors as it can get.
But do it right.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Wed Nov 04 2009 01:59 AM
Maurice... i think your on the wrong thread. LOL
Posted By: T-way Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Wed Nov 04 2009 02:11 AM
Brian:

You think you 'own' colors now? You think that there were never any other colors of IOMA lenses?
You seem to have forgotten that there were Green IOMA lenses and that I suggested that you make the blue versions I ran for you.

And you NEVER even bothered to call me about this - you just ranted here on Oldgas. You wouldn't even return my phone call or my e-mail.

It's funny how selective your memory is when you think you've been wronged. You seem to forget that I busted up and discarded every one of the Fantasy Skelly Aviation lenses I made for you the 'first' time I ran them. I ended up running those 2 1/2 times to fulfill your order.

I contacted you and explained that I was having trouble with the dark blue frit during the firing process.
Do you remember that? Do you also remember that I did not ask or charge you anything extra for all the lost production or material?

I'm not complaining mind you - just pointing out exactly how I do business.

If your nose is out of joint about this - so be it. If you feel you can get better service - or products - from somebody else. Send them your business.

But next time you feel wronged - be a man about it and pick up the phone.

That's all I have to say on this topic.

Later . . .

JIm

BTW - here is an original Green IOMA lens.

Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Wed Nov 04 2009 02:41 AM
Originally Posted By: souperhigh
Seth,
It was a $105.95 part.
Wasn't tardy. Sold something on buy it now and did not have it in stock. Kinda like selling oil in pipelines that you don't have.
hmmmm. I wish him well as this hobby needs as many quality vendors as it can get.
But do it right.

Maurice...I don't what you are referring to....the other thread about Don was over the original poster having a $15 cylinder on backorder. I never saw the deleted posts.
Posted By: Garry Krangnes Re: Custom Ordered Personalized Lenses . . . - Wed Nov 04 2009 03:02 AM
A person with ethics never has to defend himself!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk