Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: richlube art deco bristol roto valve air control tire meter - Tue Jan 06 2015 08:25 PM
ship to usa only i believe its a tire air meter,please correct me if i'am wrong. measures 10+6.5 inches and weights 9.5 lbs.
unit complete and untested
$499.00 plus postage

Attached picture tire.JPG
Attached picture tire1.JPG
Attached picture tire2.JPG
Attached picture tire3.JPG
Posted By: richlube Re: art deco bristol roto valve air control - Tue Jan 06 2015 08:31 PM
last of pictures

Attached picture tire4.JPG
Attached picture tire5.JPG
Attached picture tire6.JPG
Posted By: bmclemore Re: art deco bristol roto valve air control - Wed Jan 07 2015 01:49 AM
I might be mistaken, but this is some sort of hvac equipment
Posted By: johninlongview Re: art deco bristol roto valve air control - Wed Jan 07 2015 02:07 AM
It's cool looking, whatever it is.
Hello Ken,

It is not an air meter for tires but it is cool anyway! Maybe someone else on this site can chine in on what it was for. PSI too high for tire inflater.

Rob
Posted By: Rsljr1 Re: art deco bristol roto valve air control tire meter - Wed Jan 07 2015 02:19 AM
Airplane tires use higher pressures???
i thought maybe an air brake

or

if the green paint is original that color was used on a lot of industrial machinery. with the 3 bolt pattern maybe it was bolted to a press or used for emptying a bin or tray full of the machined items in or on them.
Posted By: wce Re: art deco bristol roto valve air control tire meter - Wed Jan 07 2015 03:35 AM
That is cool looking.... Doesn't the red tag in the third picture say does not record tire pressure when inflating on it ?!?!
Years ago Steve Gold and I were very good petro friends. He was crazy about air meters as I was.
He purchased one of these meters around 2000, neither of us could find anything about it. My feelings were it was not a service station air meter, what it was, I didn't know. I still don't think it is service station meter.

Steve was very knowledgeable about air meters, just take a look at the number of meters he was able to accumulate.

http://petrolianacollectibles.com/steve_gold.htm

Jack Sim
thanks for all the info.
ken
ok the side plate reads caution gauge does not record tyre pressure when inflating frequently return to test
the spelling of tyre makes me think it is british?
Posted By: TJammer Re: art deco bristol roto valve air control tire meter - Wed Jan 07 2015 04:27 PM
An internet search revealed that Bristol manufactured planes in the UK, roughly between 1910 and 1960. They were called Bristol Aeroplane Company. They also designed and produced their own engines.
Just taking a stab here...but they likely had the ability to produce their own testing equipment for the planes they built, including testing equipment for their tyres.

IMO...the tags on the unit kind of tells a story..

"does not record tyre pressure when inflating"...means that the tyre pressure only recorded on the dial when you turn the lever from "inflate" to the off position.( similar to the hand gauges they have today ,where the tyre pressure reading pops out the end when you remove it from the valve.)
If the tyre pressure was too high, they would turn the lever to the "deflate" position, and again check it by turning the handle off.

"Frequently return to test"......means the unit must be checked against a master gauge periodically, to ensure accuracy.

It operates like an air meter in a sense that it does deliver air, and does record pressure....but has no balanced air features like the Eco's, that stop automatically at the preset setting...

Again this is only my opinion.....
sold waiting payment,thanks to all who helped me.
ken
Also look for Bristol Pneumatic Tools, Inc. out of the UK. They manufactured the air compressors that were used for tire inflators during manufacturing of aircraft.
hey ken, air meter arrived a.o.k........nice little air meter or what ever it is..........thanks again, bill
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk