Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: mrcavalcade what a simple globe represents - Fri Apr 17 2015 05:23 PM
i have this photo from the early 1930's that i look at quite often. It is a picture of my real life hero standing in front of his really cool Plymouth PE. He is dressed in some really impressive clothing and an incredible hat, posing for a snapshot in a rural out in the middle of nowhere field, in Washington pa. A picture taken by the lady he was courting and the lady for whom he was all dressed up for, for a simple afternoon picnic. That picture taken by my grandmother, of my hero grandfather, shows a man of dignity and pride and kindness. A man whom worked hard and loved his mate equally as hard. To me it represents a simple time of respect and dignity for ones self and for others. A time seemingly long gone by. In order to relive that time through my hero's eyes, i certainly have that picture! However, i soon discovered that my passion for collecting petroliana stems from my desire to forever revisit his era and to forever see those things he and my grandmother might have seen through the windshield of that plymouth as they drove to and from that field. It is the sole reason i collect. Fast forward to this simple globe that recently found it's way into my collection. It is a plain globe with no graphics and no color and with simple hand painted letters, yet to me, it represents so much more. I have other globes that i look at, and find it hard to believe that such graphics and color adorned the top of a pump so long ago! So darn fancy and eye catching! I see them as incredible, yet probably more so appropriately placed at stations along more trafficked old highways in bigger metropolitan cities. Whereas this lone inexpensive globe advertising "silent" gasoline somehow is the one globe of all of mine that for some odd reason places me in that plymouth PE, riding along some old dusty road, with my grandparents, on a return trip from an afternoon picnic, when they pull in to an old out of the way rural station with a lone visible pump in the front, holding hands while some crusty old gent fills their car with "silent" gasoline. This lone globe is an indicator that it doesnt cost a whole lot of money in this hobby to obtain something that is a vivid real life reminder of those who only exist in our thoughts and memories. I hope others find that one item in their collection that puts them too in an era beside those they never will forget.

Attached picture Silent.jpg
Posted By: Tunk-Z28 Re: what a simple globe represents - Fri Apr 17 2015 06:06 PM
Wow,What a story! The one thing in my collection is my dads old gas pump that he used in his trucking company,He gave it away twenty years ago! I tracked it down,and was able to buy it! So i know what you mean.
Posted By: Wallster Re: what a simple globe represents - Fri Apr 17 2015 07:40 PM
Kevin, well written thoughts. I love going out to my garage and just taking in all the stories that have been absorbed by these items. It's a great way to allow your mind to let go of any stress that has accumulated from a long day or week.
I couldn't help but notice your avatar, do you own that red '48-'50 Ford F1?

Wally
Posted By: Steven C. Re: what a simple globe represents - Fri Apr 17 2015 08:15 PM
Great story and passion for the hobby.
I would love to see the pic of Grandpa with the Plymouth?? Take a picture of it with your phone, email it to yourself, and then post it if you wouldn't mind. Or scan it if you happen to have a scanner.
Posted By: mrcavalcade Re: what a simple globe represents - Fri Apr 17 2015 10:08 PM
I do have a '49 ford. Not f1 but rather f3! I will work on trying to get that picture of that Plymouth.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: what a simple globe represents - Fri Apr 17 2015 11:55 PM
I think Kevin that some people have the ability to see life and our collectibles through "historic eyes". I will be 39 years old in 12 days, but I've been what many would consider an old soul as far back as I can recall. I've always had the ability and the mindset to look at things how the persons in history saw them or used them. For instance, when I viewed Abraham Lincoln's shaving mirror in a museum, I stared at that old wavy glass mirror for several minutes and was in awe of the fact my face was being reflected in the same piece of glass that reflected Lincoln's. I would think the majority of folks look at the shaving mirror and see just that, a mirror and pass on by. I was awed by it, because I could view it differently, I could picture his face over mine.

I live in Amish country.....today I saw several 8 horsepower teams in the fields plowing. You then look at the old farmsteads they live in, where the scene has changed little in 120 years. Sometimes it's easier to "see" the past, as in this case, but when you think about what the items we collect have seen over the years they were used, taken down after the glory days of full service, then rediscovered as collectibles around 40 years ago, they have a lot of history to share. When I look at my collection I picture how it may have looked in its original setting, where has it been on its life journey, etc.

I've been on the board of the Hillsdale County Historical Society since my mid 20's, and now serve as Vice President. When kids visit our museums, I can always pick out the youngsters that have that extra vision of the past and the ability to put themselves into history...they remind me of myself at their age. I can't help but think some of them will be the future of the hobby. I guess I've rambled on long enough!
Darin
Posted By: eshaver Re: what a simple globe represents - Sat Apr 18 2015 01:22 AM
Darin, I liked the comments !
Posted By: SKomatinsky Re: what a simple globe represents - Sat Apr 18 2015 01:32 AM
I wanted that globe and just missed it, but it went to the right home. I am also fascinated with this era in America and can't get enough of it.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: what a simple globe represents - Sat Apr 18 2015 02:13 AM
Great story! Wow.
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: what a simple globe represents - Sat Apr 18 2015 06:29 AM
That's a neat globe and story!
Posted By: bagged1961 Re: what a simple globe represents - Sat Apr 18 2015 10:50 AM
That's an awesome story. I myself have pieces that aren't worth a lot but they are "worth a lot" to me. Great story and great globe.
Posted By: mrcavalcade Re: what a simple globe represents - Sat Apr 18 2015 11:37 AM
Here you go steve!

Attached picture Pap.jpg
Posted By: mrcavalcade Re: what a simple globe represents - Sat Apr 18 2015 11:38 AM
Plymouth PE

Attached picture Car.jpg
Posted By: pickurt Re: what a simple globe represents - Sat Apr 18 2015 01:10 PM
Nice memory's and great old pictures.

Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: what a simple globe represents - Sat Apr 18 2015 02:48 PM
Nice globe and an awesome story...now, go find that Plymouth!
Posted By: Steven C. Re: what a simple globe represents - Sat Apr 18 2015 03:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
now, go find that Plymouth!

Yah, no kidding!! looks like a cool car!!
And I see what you mean about the park!! I can see why this picture inspires you so much!!!
Thanks for sharing!!
Posted By: mrcavalcade Re: what a simple globe represents - Sat Apr 18 2015 10:26 PM
You are very welcome!
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: what a simple globe represents - Sat Apr 18 2015 10:35 PM
When I first read this post, memories of my involvement with this hobby came flooding over me! I have very distinct memories of every artifact that I have gathered and as I sit in my shop and view my collection, my mind often races along those same paths as that old Plymouth PE that Kevin describes.
Because of my involvement in this hobby, I have spent countless hours traveling the back roads of America, in search of some object that might enlighten me and teach me about that time that I was not privileged to enjoy!
The passage of time and its finality are something that is often on my mind, and it gives a vast amount of importance to the items I have gathered on this little journey of mine. These items have seen so much of the world and its daily happenings, that I can't help but spend time reflecting on the progress of the world as I know it, and the importance these items have played in that progression.
Some of the most enjoyable times in my life, have been spent alone in my shop, staring in wonderment, at the pieces that represent one of the greatest passions of my life. I have often had dreams of events and vehicles from the past and I believe that is the real reason I have been driven to participate within this hobby on such a serious basis.
As I sit in my shop and stare, the dreams and thoughts that wander through my mind, take me to countless places that I could never have imagined otherwise. They often take me down some imaginary highway that others have traveled, and I don't doubt for a second that I probably pulled into the same station as that old Plymouth PE and filled up my 56 Chevy convertible from the same pump and felt the presence of the distinguished couple riding in it, as they pulled away in another time and era.
I truly appreciate that there are others out there that have the same passions and reasons for collecting these artifacts, that I do!
Posted By: Tunk-Z28 Re: what a simple globe represents - Sat Apr 18 2015 11:24 PM
KEVIN, VERY,VERY, WELL SAID!!!
Posted By: Steven C. Re: what a simple globe represents - Sun Apr 19 2015 01:26 PM
Kevin,
As always, you have such a good way of looking at it. I imagine sitting in your shop enjoying your collection would be like Disney land to most, if not all of us on this site.
I love looking through the old pictures. Trying to chase the history of the things I've collected. The items and the hobby become a sort of time machine sometimes. Unfortunately the machine never really quite gets you there. But it makes you think about a simpler time.
Posted By: GASandOIL Re: what a simple globe represents - Sun Apr 19 2015 04:19 PM
Great stories, thank you all for sharing them!
Posted By: scottpcm Re: what a simple globe represents - Mon Apr 20 2015 09:21 PM
Kevin been so busy just real your story so cool. I share in those thoughts. My favorite globe is not one of great graphics, just an old one piece with some neat writing on it, that's all. It just is so cool, so I understand...Scott B.
Posted By: mrcavalcade Re: what a simple globe represents - Tue Apr 21 2015 01:00 PM
Scott, on behalf of a lot of us.....thx for providing an avenue for us to follow, to be able to add these pieces that ultimately and hopefully touch each of us in their own unique way!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk