Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Bob Richards 1930s Oil Company Lubrication Guides - Thu Feb 09 2017 09:18 PM
In the last week I was able to obtain two Tide Water Oil Lubrication Guides; one from 1934, the other from 1935. (neither Veedol_AL nor I knew these existed with these covers)

I own a few Lubrication Guides from Tide Water Oil/Tide Water Associated and Tidewater Oil Companies. But, three of these Guides are different from the others, because it seems that for a period of time in the mid 1930s Veedol and Tydol matched their Maps to their Lube Guides. (as well as matchbooks, postcards, blotters and magazine advertising)

And I am wondering if other Oil Companies; did the same?

1934 Veedol Lube Guide:

online photo sharing

1935 Veedol Lube Guide and Advertising:

screen grab

free picture upload
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: 1930s Oil Company Lubrication Guides - Thu Feb 09 2017 09:25 PM
and the; 1936 Veedol Lube Guide (the character logo is known as the Tydol Engineer and/or Veedol Engineer for those wondering) :

free adult image hosting
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: 1930s Oil Company Lubrication Guides - Thu Feb 09 2017 09:30 PM
Can't answer the question about other companies using the same formats, but those sure are cool finds Bob...GB
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: 1930s Oil Company Lubrication Guides - Thu Feb 09 2017 09:39 PM
Like Gary, I can't provide any further info, but I also like these guides.
Posted By: GILMORE Re: 1930s Oil Company Lubrication Guides - Thu Feb 09 2017 11:55 PM
Cool stuff, Bob...
Posted By: RedHat Re: 1930s Oil Company Lubrication Guides - Fri Feb 10 2017 08:33 PM
Awesome pick ups, Bob.
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: 1930s Oil Company Lubrication Guides - Sat Feb 11 2017 05:33 PM
Hi, Bob. Very wonderful pieces! In advertising/marketing branding of a company's products, the kind of continuity of look you're mentioning is desired. It's also typical of what's done by many companies, who have internal advertising departments, or utilize professional advertising agencies.

ALSO, to get double or triple duty (or more) from one photo or one piece of artwork would have helped stretch ad budgets in the rather lean times of the mid-1930's. Just a few thoughts. John
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk