Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: KZ1000 Then, Then, Then, Then and Now Templeton Mass. - Sat Mar 18 2017 11:09 PM
I have these pictures thru the years of a local Gas Station my Dad ran and owned on and off thru the years. I don't have complete history but have some bits to add.

The first picture appears to be the 30's, although branded Mobil, 20 years apart I found 2 Beacon gas signs, (a pump sign and a 30" porcelain) in the ground behind this station. I have yet to see a picture of it as a Beacon Station.

The 2nd picture, 1950's is the Best, a friend of mines father, a mason, built this around 1948 for a Mobil Station, it was run by a couple local guys for several years, at some point my father managed/worked it also. The Oil truck in the picture Terry's Oil was eventually bought by my father and started a lifelong career in the home fuel oil business. None of the memorabilia remains.

Picture 3, 1960's I'm a little vague on but my dad did own the station at one time previous and then sold it.

Picture 4, 1970's is where I spent my years hanging out, my dad bought the station again in the early 1970's and we sold gas as an independent dealer for several years and did minor repairs, at this time the Oil Business was flourishing so this was more of a thorn to him, but kept it going to give us boys work and supply his vehicles with gas. That is me standing in the bay and my fathers Buick skylark pulling up. The GTO on the side was an employee's who worked part time there. I do remember selling Fox Head motor oil before switching to Quaker State. I think it was around 1980 when we shut it down,

Picture 5, 2017 is how it sits today, in the early 80's it was leased to a man who ran a radiator repair business, a few years later another guy transformed it into a Pizza house, at that time removing the overhead door, he lasted a couple years. Eventually a Fire Extinquisher and welding supply business opened and remains there today.
Building is still owned by my mom.

Attached picture x1.jpg
Attached picture x3.jpg
Attached picture x4.jpg
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Then, Then, Then, Then and Now Templeton Mass. - Sat Mar 18 2017 11:12 PM

Attached picture x2.jpg
Attached picture x5.jpg
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Then, Then, Then, Then and Now Templeton Mass. - Sun Mar 19 2017 12:23 AM
Neat photos and history Rick....thanks for sharing. I like the big old red building next door too, looks like an old place!
Darin
Very cool photos Rick!
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Then, Then, Then, Then and Now Templeton Mass. - Sun Mar 19 2017 11:42 AM
Great history and pictures! Thanks for sharing!!

It's cool how some of you in the hobby have such roots to the industry. Heck, my dad was a carpenter and I never worked in a station. I feel like an outsider compared to some of you.

Again, thanks for sharing!!
Posted By: pickurt Re: Then, Then, Then, Then and Now Templeton Mass. - Sun Mar 19 2017 01:49 PM
Fascinating to see how the building evolved throughout the years.

Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Then, Then, Then, Then and Now Templeton Mass. - Mon Mar 20 2017 01:16 AM
Great history and pictures!!
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Then, Then, Then, Then and Now Templeton Mass. - Tue Mar 21 2017 12:17 AM
Very cool Rick! Long hair and bell bottoms! Lol!
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Then, Then, Then, Then and Now Templeton Mass. - Tue Mar 21 2017 12:30 AM
How cool is this...90 years of photo history there.
Posted By: kenr Re: Then, Then, Then, Then and Now Templeton Mass. - Fri Mar 24 2017 01:26 PM
I like the history
Posted By: kenr Re: Then, Then, Then, Then and Now Templeton Mass. - Fri Mar 24 2017 01:28 PM
I like the history
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Then, Then, Then, Then and Now Templeton Mass. - Fri Mar 24 2017 02:45 PM
...great photos, Rick...
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Then, Then, Then, Then and Now Templeton Mass. - Sat Mar 25 2017 02:30 AM
Great pics Rick. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: kenr Re: Then, Then, Then, Then and Now Templeton Mass. - Sat Mar 25 2017 03:00 AM
I like the history
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk