Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Do I restore this base or scrap it? - Thu Mar 16 2023 11:56 PM
A friend is restoring a Bowser 300 crank gas pump. His base was broken, and he did not have any of the pieces that were missing. The crank style base is different than the standard electric one. He acquired a base for a electric one and was able to modify his legs of the pump so it would work. I told him not to scrap the other base that I would play with it and see if I could fix it. What would you do?.

Attached picture IMG_0192.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0193.JPG
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: Do I restore this base or scrap it? - Fri Mar 17 2023 12:12 AM
I knew I had to try to fix the original one so here is the process. I drilled out and tape the holes of the bolts that were broken off. I then sandblasted the base. Next, I traced the base on a piece of plywood rotating it so I could get the ears of all the corners and could make sure the base was flat on the new pieces when it was done. The steal would be made in three different steps. First, I made the two straight pieces that would go between the ears. I drilled into the base and taped it so I could put machine screws in it to hold the steal in place until I welded it. Next, I made the bottom of the ears and attached them to the base with machine screws. Last I made the caps for the ears and connected them to everything with machine screws. Using the plywood piece, I made sure everything was in place and flat with the plywood. I then welded everything.

Attached picture IMG_0197.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0198.JPG
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: Do I restore this base or scrap it? - Fri Mar 17 2023 12:20 AM
The next step was to make sure the holes were in the right place. I made a pattern out of an old folder, then traced it on the new ears. After that it was time to use some body putty to make everything look as it should. Last a shot of primer. Can you guess which is the original ear? Top left side. I never throw anything away. Even if I didn't restore it, someone might have needed the original ear for their pump. I could always cut off the portion they needed and then they could weld it to their base. Richard

Attached picture IMG_0199.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0200.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0201.JPG
Posted By: huskybob Re: Do I restore this base or scrap it? - Fri Mar 17 2023 12:39 AM
Great save Richard.
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Do I restore this base or scrap it? - Fri Mar 17 2023 12:58 AM
Way to tackle a tough job instead of tossing it out . Well done .
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Do I restore this base or scrap it? - Fri Mar 17 2023 01:06 AM
Nice job, now to find the rest of the pump
Posted By: gaspumpfrank Re: Do I restore this base or scrap it? - Fri Mar 17 2023 01:26 PM
Nice job!! All worth it in the finished product.
Posted By: gaspumpfrank Re: Do I restore this base or scrap it? - Fri Mar 17 2023 01:27 PM
Save It.
Posted By: Hardy's Garage Re: Do I restore this base or scrap it? - Fri Mar 17 2023 02:08 PM
I have had the same problem but used a different and simpler direction to solve the problem. As long as the base is symmetrical Cattail Foundry was able to cast a replacement base and it came out great. Just a thought
Posted By: spencer Re: Do I restore this base or scrap it? - Sun Apr 02 2023 12:40 AM
Nice Dick. We may be able to use it
Posted By: Young's Union Re: Do I restore this base or scrap it? - Sun Aug 13 2023 03:44 PM
Great craftsmanship! Great save!
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Do I restore this base or scrap it? - Mon Aug 14 2023 12:16 AM
Good job. I love saving things like that. Even if they might be available somewhere. Like I always tell people, I’ve got nothing but time so why not!?!….GB
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: Do I restore this base or scrap it? - Mon Aug 14 2023 04:53 AM
Update on the base. A friend found a Bowser 300 that needed a base, so it now has a new home. Richard
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk