Oldgas.com Home

December 2007
Collectible of the Month
Vintage Service Station Photos
Hosted by Curt Cragg
“The Poor Mans Museum”

I don’t think that we’ve tried this before on Oldgas, but why not start now.

Those of you that have been around this site for awhile know that I started collecting historical photos of the service stations in my area several years ago. I began this project to add relevance to my collection of Petrolania and also because I was interested in what brands were sold in the local towns around me.

What I discovered was far more than I ever imagined. My interest in the photos led to writing a series of articles for the local newspaper, many of which were first published here on Oldgas. This collection of articles and picture then led me to write and publish the first historical account of the town of Buellton, which was once known as “Service Town, U.S.A.” because of all of the services stations that lined Highway 101 here in the central part of Santa Barbara County.

As of today I have designed several historical exhibits to help tell the story of the small service towns in my area. One of the exhibits is located in Andersen’s Pea Soup Restaurant in Buellton and another in an old garage in the town of Los Alamos, California 15 miles to the north. Of course, these exhibits include many pictures of the local service station that once populated our local towns and highways.

So for our Collectible of the Month feature this month we are looking for historic photographs of service stations in your towns. Many of us have pictures of old service stations, but here we would like to see photos of stations or bulk plants that are where you live while they were in operation. We’d also like to hear some of the history of the stations and their owners or operators if you know it.

The real point of this COTM is to honor those guys (and gals) that operated the stations where all of our collectibles come from and show some homegrown photos of what they looked like during the glory years of the service station industry. GOT GAS station pictures? Start posting them or send them to me and I will get them posted for you.

Here's one to get us started:

This old photo from around 1960 shows a transitional period with the M on the pump when the company was looking for a logo that was easier to reproduce than the Runner on the sign pole.
Chuck

I found this photo, "Dumpster Diving" at work in old old discarded notebook. There were other photos as well.

[This message has been edited by Gaspedler (edited 12-12-2007).]
I love exploring old photos with digital enhancements. Here is a good example.
This is an old Transcontinental Oil bulk plant from around 1930.

Discovered this curious grill decoration on one of the cars. A company logo runner. Appears to be three dimensional (shadows). But I have never seen a sign it probably came from.
Chuck

Here are a couple pictures of an old Sinclair station that was in Millersburg Ohio. My grandfather and his partner owned it untill they retired, then my dad and another guy bought them out, took over. It was later rebranded to ARCO. There is one building still on the sight. (I checked, it is empty of signs, pumps and globes...)

Grandpa is on the right in this picture

Loading up a delivery truck

Some newer equipment

Inside the warehouse

The place was right beside the river, I think this helped lead to a new location.

Shot with HP pstc3100 at 2007-12-12

This station was one of the few that were open 24 hours in its early days. I delivered it with a set doubles when it was no longer a 24 hour operation. Wided streets narrowed the approaches and a one way street added to the challenge.

I like to do a then and now photo of stations. I delivered this one when it was Marathon,Boron,and Sunoco. But not in the late 1920's when it was branded Indian.
Here is a Hy-Flash Gas Station on N. Fearing Blvd. Before and after..

[This message has been edited by hy-flash 72 (edited 12-12-2007).]
Thanks everyone! That's just what we're looking for. Appreciate the before and afters for those of you that have them. Keep 'em coming!
I have a bunch of station pictures, here are a few.

I posted some of these on the company of the month when we did powerine but its been a while so here are the coolest ones:

Notice the scalped 36b, not pointing any fingers

Posting this in memory of Lester (Buss) Green. Some of you knew him, he passed away last year. This is the grand opening of his first station in 1955. His wife Lucy told me they had the only station in Fort Wayne that was a block long.... it was a very short block...lol. Notice the streets running down both sides of the station. Chuck

edit photo size

[This message has been edited by Gaspedler (edited 12-13-2007).]
For those in the Christmas spirit:
a few from photos west

fox lake il then.... and now(although the lights are gone) got a feeling that this will be lost in the future!a shame!

Here are a couple of photos that I just got today of the California Garage in Los Alamos, California. Los Alamos was originally a stagecoach stop and then with the introduction of the automobile, became a highway service town on the Coast Highway (Highway 101). The town was bypassed in the late fifties and became a service station ghost town like many of the small towns along the way.

The Scolari brothers built this station in the late 20's or early 30's and then remodeled it in the 40's. They were Union 76 dealers as you can see...

Here's a shot from the side of the canopy with a customer at the island.

This is what it looks like today. It was recently sold and is undergoing some clean up and renovations. Not sure what the plans are for it, but it may be something new soon. It has been like this for at least 40 years.

Thanks for your participation everyone. Not sure if we will catch up with Kmann and his Collectible of the Decade on outboards, but let's keep trying!
HOPE THESE "WORK" FOR YOU CURT... NEWWWWWW YORKKKKKKK.... NEW YORKKKKKK.... o.k.... sinatra i ain't...

Shot with HP pstc3100 at 2007-12-14

Shot with KODAK DC3200 DIGITAL CAMERA at 2007-12-14

I think I have found the location of this late 1950's Leonard station identified only as in the Jackson, MI area because of the power pole in the drive and also the one in the field behind the station. Located on old US-12 East of of Jackson.
Dave;
That is the same building. Look closely at the color pattern on the bricks on the side of the building. An exact match.
I'm really enjoying all these old station pictures.
Chuck
Here's one for the string . . .

I'll try and post one a day for the next couple of weeks.

I've got quite a few for you all to see.

Later . . .

Jim
Here is a Hy-Flash Station from Hillsdale, MI not Adrian, MI!!!

[This message has been edited by hy-flash 72 (edited 12-15-2007).]
This is a great thread!!!

By firepowerflyer
Hy-Flash : I am jealous of all those pictures of Michigan gas stations you have.
This is my only picture of a Hy-Flash station. US-127 about 6 miles North of the Ohio line.

Shot with HP pstc3100 at 2007-12-15
When I was at Union Oil, I found several thousand old pictures, along with their glass negatives. I was able to secure a box of duplicate pictures. In that box, I found two pictures of my wife's grandfather, taken about 1915. Like T-way, I'll try to post a couple a day for the next few weeks.

Here's one for Saturday . . . A Pontiac Dealership with a row of very kewl Erie 70's.

Another one tomorrow.

Later . . .

Jim

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 12-15-2007).]
1958 Leonard Station Adrian, MI

Shot with HP pstc3100 at 2007-12-15

Same location 2007

Shot with KODAK DC3200 DIGITAL CAMERA at 2007-12-15

The porcelin panels are not put on a cement block building as is the norm in Michigan, but just panels put together and yes that is day light showing through. Appears to galvanized inside.

Shot with KODAK DC3200 DIGITAL CAMERA at 2007-12-15

[This message has been edited by Dave Rowlison (edited 12-15-2007).]

Great photos from all over the place! Keep on posting we have a long way to go to catch up to Kmann's outboard post!

The photo above was my alternative banner. It shows the Robbins Shell station in Los Alamos California. This is one of only two stations that are still pumping gas in Los Alamos. The other one is a Chevron that was built much later. At one time when Highway 101 ran through the center of the small town there were between 8 and 10 places to buy gasoline including small pumps in front of the General stores.

[This message has been edited by the poor mans museum (edited 12-15-2007).]

Any chance of a close up of the Texaco pump middle photo Bonjimmi ?

Thanks Doug
Great photos guys. Keep up the great work.

------------------
Scott Shipers
www.myspace.com/quartcans

I tried to enlarge it but it got fuzzy. Check out the gargoyle oil cabinets in the first two pic's

Jim

[This message has been edited by bonjimmi (edited 12-15-2007).]

[This message has been edited by bonjimmi (edited 12-15-2007).]
Here's a few from my home town.

Hinson Grocery, 1955 Western Stanly County, NC.

Garrison and Dennis Oil Co. 1950 Albemarle, NC

J.F. Hearne Grocery and Sinclair Station, 1949 New London, NC

Polly Love Esso, 1939 Stanly County, NC US 52

Sinclair Station, Western Stanly County, NC

Greentop Phillips 66, Stanly County, NC
Here's some more from my home town.

Mason and Melton's Studebaker Dealership 1923, Downtown Albemarle, NC

Almond's Gulf, Western Stanly County, NC

Herlocker's Shell 1950, Albemarle, NC

Stanly Bottling Works 1905, Albemarle, NC

Dan Hinson's filling station 1925, Western Stanly County, NC

Trotter's Chevrolet 1923, Downtown Albemarle, NC
Here is another great one. This one is from Whitehouse,Ohio. I believe this station was a Paragon station before it was a Sunoco Station. There was a Paragon station listed at that corner about 1925. Later on the building was moved about 4 miles down the road and become the Evergreen Inn which was been torned down. That corner now is a parking lot for the Whithouse Inn.

Does anybody have pictures of Paragon Refining Gas Stations? There was about 65 of them in Ohio.

Randy

[This message has been edited by hy-flash 72 (edited 12-17-2007).]
Here's another:

Shot with HP pstc3100 at 2007-12-16

Dated May 1957
i really liked this one.just a little alteration!!!

[This message has been edited by oldnfuelish (edited 12-16-2007).]
Sunday December 16th - "Photo of the day"

A great shot of a Gilmore Station.

Wouldn't you just love to stumble onto that neon Lion sign stuck in a barn somewhere?

Later . . .

Jim
My father-in-laws tidewater flying A bulk plant located in Las Vegas in early 1965

Union oil bulk plant in 1961 Corona Ca. my mother-in-law in door

[]

[This message has been edited by Jack R (edited 12-16-2007).]

[This message has been edited by Jack R (edited 12-17-2007).]
Union oil bulk plant father-in-law on truck Corona Ca.

This is Dale Knight's Shell Service in Webster Groves (St. Louis) Missouri in the early 1940s. I worked with Dale in an auto dealership service department until he retired recently. Many years ago he leased the lot to Shell. The old building is gone, but a Shell station is still in operation on that site.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Signal gas station located at 2000 Las Vegas Blvd so. the current site of the Stratospher Hotel. My father-in-law owned the signal bulk station located behind the station at 2020 Commerce st. Las Vegas Nevada. Late 1965 photos. Jack

[This message has been edited by Jack R (edited 12-17-2007).]
Some old Wadhams stations in Wisconsin.
Sorry picture post didn't work correctly, brought over some junk advertisement. Not sure if it got this from Image Shack but I deleted pics to avoid the junk.

[This message has been edited by wads (edited 12-16-2007).]
The small town of Las Cruces was located just north of the historic Gaviota Pass on Highway 101 in Santa Barbara County. The town was originally established as a stagecoach stop at a Y intersection leading northwest toward the town of Lompoc or northeast around the Nojoqui grade into the Santa Ynez Valley and the town of Los Olivos.

As automobiles began arriving up the coast in the early 1900's a small service town sprang up to meet the needs of the motorists. This is what it looked like in late 1920's or early 1930's...

Later most of the stations disappeared and just this Chevron was left after Wolrd War II and into the 1960's. Today there are no remaining traces of this service town.

Just south of Las Cruces on the other side of the Gaviota Pass there was a store and service station at Gaviota Beach. This station had an ocean view looking across the highway at the Southern Pacific train trestle and the Gaviota Wharf.

This is what the Gaviota Pass looked like as the first horseless carriages arrived.

Signal oil bulk plant Las Vegas Nevada in late 1965

M-52 Adrian, MI

Shot with HP pstc3100 at 2007-12-17

Jack R.: I noticed that the Union 76 tank wagon your father-in-law is loading at Corona, CA appears to have a removable tank. There are tabs at bottom by the bumper and a lift eye at the top left. Something I haven't seen before. Do you know the brand of tank. You can see the static strap hanging as well. Neat pictures.
Today's pic - an unusual Union station.

POSTING FOR BUTCH GREER:
----------------------------------------------
Hi Doc,

Here's a photo of a old Rock Island station that was 15 miles south of here.

Butch

McElroy Station, Duke, Oklahoma June 1941
Dave, no I don't know what kind of tank that is. We just got these photos a short time ago and I didn't notice that til you mentioned it.Thanks Jack
Another "Spanish Mission Revival" Union Station to go with the one Dan posted. This style of architecture was popular along the coast of California as interest in the mission chain was renewed in the early 1900's. Touring the Missions along the El Camino Real (later Highway 101) was a popular excursion for early motorists.

The most well known example of the Spanish style architecture applied to a service station is the Barnsdall Rio Grande station just north of Goleta, California. This little station building took the style to the extreme.

Union oil bulk plant 1938 So. Cal.

1938 So. Cal.

Here's my contribution for Monday the 17th of December.

'nother one tomorrow.

Later . . .

Jim
1945 union oil bulk plant in So. Ca.

Several brands at this station:

Shot with HP pstc3100 at 2007-12-18

Another Leonard station that was identified only as in the Jackson MI area. I am fairly sure that it was located at the junction of US-12 (old US-112) & M-50 near the Irish Hills area.

[This message has been edited by Dave Rowlison (edited 12-18-2007).]
Two for Tuesday!

Cities Service.

And a Sunoco operation.

Later . . .

Jim
Chick Barrett's Union 76 Station in Solvang, California.

From a 1958 Champlin cycler magazine

Champlin Cycler magazine 1960

Champlin 1959

Champlin station

Diamond station Des Moines Iowa 1931

Diamond Gas Sign "S.O.S." sign sign of service behind motorcycle Tulsa Ok. 1931

Diamond Bulk Plant Owensboro Ky. 1931

Diamond station in Kansas 1931

Diamond Station Tulsa Ok. 1931

For you Gulf collectors - or you guys that like Tok 850's!

Later . . .

Jim

Jack Mendenhall's Richfield Service Station, Buellton, California. As some of you know Jack was an avid collector or Service Station memorabilia early on when no one else cared much about the stuff. Chances are good that most of you have something in your collection that passed through Jack's collection, especially if you are on this side of the country. His son Mark has cleaned up the collection and spruced up the displays and the place really looks great. The place I'm talking about is "Mendenhall's Musuem of Gas Pumps" which is located to the left of the service station in the photo above. In the days when the station was open the space was used as a wrecking storage yard for the cars they brought in with the AAA tow service they ran out of the garage.
2 shots of the same station from different angles.

DX station Shawnee Ok. 1931

[This message has been edited by Jack R (edited 12-20-2007).]
DX station Waterloo, Iowa 1936

Here's a kewl aerial shot of a High Speed Station.

Great architecture.

Later . . .

Jim
Wow guys!!! I love the pics. Keep em coming the pumps are amazing in some of the pics.

Wow wow wow wow!!!!!!
Time for someone to turn this into a book!!I would buy it in a heart beat.I have books on station photos but most of these I have not seen.I wish I had some to contribute,keep this one going.
Joe
Another Union station:

The Buellton Auto Court had a small Union 76 service station in the front on Highway 101. In 1949 when the highway was widened through Buellton they picked up the little station and moved it down the street. It stayed there until after a new freeway bypassed the town around 1964. It was finally torn down and now the lot is vacant.

Union oil bulk plant So. Cal.

Inside at the bulk plant

Here is a couple of Hi-Speed Building pictures..before and after. Sorry for the first one it was scanned out of a magazine. I know who has it..but that is a different story!

Randy

Then

URL=http://imageshack.us] [/URL]

Now...all gone.

[This message has been edited by hy-flash 72 (edited 12-20-2007).]
Diamond service station Eureka, Ill. 1931

Diamond service station Inwood, Iowa 1936

Talk about full service!

1959 Eldon Missouri Station

Shot at 2007-12-21

Shot with HP pstc3100 at 2007-12-21

Tower and station are supposed to be the same location. Tower is before 1930. It a was one story restaurant for a golf course in the 1970's and a parking lot today.
US-223 Devils Lake, Michigan
these pics are just awesome!!!

[This message has been edited by turlockbob (edited 12-21-2007).]
This gasser just can't get enough of old station pictures, you guys are digging up some great ones!! I've posted these before over time but here they are again.

Here's a nice shot of a Cities Service Station. Note the cloverleaf globe.

Later . . .

Jim
Another old Union station, complete with palm trees.

Awesome thread guys thanks !!!

Any TEXACO STATIONS ????

TEE
The FitzGerald brothers operated the Texaco stations in the Santa Ynez Valley. In the late fifties they were running three stations. Two were on the corner of Highway 101 diagonally across from each other so that they could catch either the south or north bound traffic. They also operated a store next door to the southbound station. The northbound station was right next door to the famous Andersen's Pea Soup restaurant. They also had a Danish style station in the nearby town of Solvang.

Here's the southbound Highway 101 station in Buellton and their store.

Here's the Solvang station right after it opened.

The FitzGeralds also operated the Gaviota store and station in the fifities and sixties. This is what it looked like when it first opened in the early 1900's.

Thank you to everyone for posting your pictures and looking in on this showcase. Nothing better than looking at old gas station photos. (Well, almost nothing...)
Location is on Needles Street in Bixby, Oklahoma.

Location is between Bixby & Broken Arrow Oklahoma.

I have several 20's & 30's Deep Rock I will try to get on this next week.
OK First one to tell me where this station is gets an ATTA BOY or GIRL(its within 60 miles of Visalia CA and pic was taken last Saturday

Hannibal Missouri 1937

[This message has been edited by Jack R (edited 12-22-2007).]
The following photos are from the Library of Congress. The LOC has some great photos, type in different search words and see what you find.
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/mdbquery.html

Here is a round Sunoco station that was on Alexis Rd Toledo,Ohio at one time. Does anybody have any history of the round stations.

Randy

[This message has been edited by hy-flash 72 (edited 12-23-2007).]
Dodge City Kansas 1962

[This message has been edited by Jack R (edited 12-23-2007).]
I think these two photos may belong together.

I believe this picture was taken in France.

Mick
I believe this was taken in France.

Mick
Oklahoma City Ok. 1962

DX Bulk Plant De Soto Missouri 1937

Dx station 1942 Kalamazoo Michigan

[This message has been edited by Jack R (edited 12-24-2007).]

[This message has been edited by Jack R (edited 12-24-2007).]
Dx station Springfield Minnesota

One of my favorite Union stations. Notice the bulk plant and signage in the background.

west coast pan gas station

1933 Nebraska
Thats cool how this visible is painted like an ear of corn!

I agree!
Eureka Springs Arkansas 1951

1936 Perry Iowa

1963 Lincoln Nebraska

1959 Lawton Ok.

A couple more shots of the "mission style" stations:

Here's a nice Sinclair station.

Later . . .

Jim

Hutchinson Ks. 1963

Here's a nice interior shot of a gas station/tire store. Note the abundance of radios.

Later . . .

Jim
Another one of my favorites:

[This message has been edited by turlockbob (edited 12-27-2007).]
Des Moines Iowa

1937 Bulk Plant Tulsa Ok.

again the station from my friends parents here in germany..

Love this pic...

Andy
..another Shell in germany 1950...

Andy

again a Shell Curbside Pump infront of a restaurant in the 20ies...

Andy
Here's a very kewl Shell station shaped like an airplane. Gotta love a place that sells gas, bar-b-que and beer!

Kinda covers everything you'd need, donchathink?

Later . . .

Jim
here's an interesting station. The photo I scanned was labeled "Canadian Tour"

Bruce South Dakota 1951

Warrensburg Missouri 1951

Thanks everyone for adding your photos and keeping this thing going while I was wrapped up in all of the holiday cheer. Great stuff! Looks like we could do a book of Dan's Union photo's and another one from Bob's Mobil photos. Here's a go with for T-way's airplane station.

1963 Snyder Ok.

In Poor Man Curt's last picture, those are the Very Rare BOYLE DAYTON Model #1950 Clock Face pumps.
I only know of 3 that still exist today [most were scraped out in WW2].
db

Shot with HP pstc3100 at 2007-12-29

Detroit MI Area

Shot with HP pstc3100 at 2007-12-29

Was this an experimental logo ?
Today's photo is a nice Union 76 station advertising 'Rocket Fuel'.

Note the three matching visibles under the canopy and the one stand-alone visible at the LH side.

This appears to have been taken in the late 1930's.

Later . . .

Jim
Jim's picture above links Union Oil with a "Rocket" advertising theme. I recently acquired a very old and rare Union globe. The person I bought it from found it in an old barn, along with another globe with a rocket on it. He said that somewhere in the last 45 years he broke the rocket globe and threw it out. This picture may indicate that the rocket globe this man had was a Union advertising piece, which is something I believe Union collectors were not aware of.
In the box of photos I have, there were several marked "Death Valley" and "Mining Camp". They look to be related. I'm not quite sure if Union had some mines in Death Valley in the 20's and 30's that had follow on fueling requirements. The "Union Ethyl" advertising car, along with the "Speed and Power" sign, indicate that the pumps were probably more than just for the mining camps.

Here's a couple from COTM-PURE,November. There are several more on page 4 of COTM. I still have several others. I'll try to post a few. I'll have to admit that the cottage stations all look pretty much alike after you look at a few.

Notice Energee Diesel pump plate. I've never seen this version before.

Notice 42" glass domed neon sign.

This is a GREAT thread. I love it. These old stations are really neat to look at.
hey turlock; something I've been wondering for a long time. the pic with all the glass top 36-bs is this. did they really have seperate tanks for all those different brands of gasoline or pumping from 1 tank ? I think people were getting hosed, pardon the pun............Ron
DX station Springfield Missouri 1951

Champlin station Topeka Kansas 1963

1956 Chanplin Station

Notice same station was Gilmore first before turning into Hancock OR Vica Versa, Gilmore tanker was done in NEON photo taken at night, NOTICE BLU GREEN GLOBE

[This message has been edited by turlockbob (edited 12-29-2007).]

[This message has been edited by turlockbob (edited 12-29-2007).]
Bob Drake didn't think that we were doing the Sinclair brand justice so he sent me a plethora of pictures to post. Thanks Bob! It might take me awhile to post all of them but here are some...

LINCO Stations.

[This message has been edited by Gaspedler (edited 12-30-2007).]
Transcontinental Marathon Arkansas

Close Up. (184kb)

Two other post cards of same station.

[This message has been edited by Gaspedler (edited 12-30-2007).]

By oldnfuelish
By oldnfuelish
By oldnfuelish

[This message has been edited by oldnfuelish (edited 12-30-2007).]
DX bulk plant

1937 Dx station same town as the Bulk Plant Onalaska Wiscon.

1937 Onalaska Wisc. DX station

Edited to remove a double photo

[This message has been edited by Jack R (edited 12-30-2007).]
Don't have much in the line of photos, except post cards, but I wanted to share a little about the Starks Station, which was torn down quite recently. Highway 47 was one of 2 main N-S routes in Illinois up until recently. When US 20 was routed to that intersection (forming a triangle, hence the other name, Starks Triangle), it was quite the little boomtown, and Standard had the lock on the gas. There was a little diner and a root beer stand on the property, and to the west, a big roadhouse and dance hall.
You could see the neon Standard sign miles to the south, and when we traveled, I was only certain we were really on our way when I couldn't see the Standard sign in the rear window any more.
They were always updating that station. It had the first T pumps I ever saw, which sadly, drove out the globes. They also had the dual crowns for the older dual pumps and the grey crown diesel pump to the side. We'd get maps there, but never soda.
Starks wreckers also made a lot of money in the area. US 20 was borderline "Death Alley" until the Tollway pulled away the truck traffic.
Seeing the picture brought back a lot of happy memories. The BP station is slightly to the north of where the Standard was and fills all the roles in one big building, except for repairs. Pingree Grove, the neighboring town, appears to have annexed Starks, but there's still a small sign to be seen. The motel a mile or so west is also gone. But there's an antique mall in the roadhouse.
Today's pics:

I believe the next two pictures were part of a service station map marketing campaign. This first one shows a National Park of the West Map.

This next one shows an old "Speed and Power" map.

Great pictures dfranchi!!! I love the clarity and size is perfect...not too mention all the Union Oil stuff that I've never seen before, like the union ethyl curb sign...mm
Here's a Sinclair station for Bob.

Nice delivery truck - and note the transfer cans.

Later . . .

Jim
Dan, those Union photos are eye candy. Just awesome stuff showing what the early stations looked like and taken as promo shots so the pictures are great. WOW!

Bob didn't think I had enough photos for this thread so he sent me 5,000 more to post last night (okay maybe I'm exaggerating a bit). So here are some more from Mr. Drake. If I ever get through these I will post some more of mine...

Space Age Sinclair Station

Champlin Trucks

[This message has been edited by Jack R (edited 12-30-2007).]
1920's Champlin Truck Train

These are great photos. Thanks for all the great posts guys.
Here are some photo's in the town where I grew up, Knightstown Indiana. My mother took these back in the 50's. She was a professional photographer and the local paper wanted to do a story on all the gas stations in town. Back in those days there was a station on about every corner. I got a kick looking at the clocks, she made the rounds pretty quick.

This station is still in operation as a no name brand.

This station is now a liquor store.

This station is long gone but a Speedway station sits in it's place.

This station operates as a repair shop.

Long gone as is the station that replaced it, now sits a BP station.

My favorite since I collect Sinclair. I got my first blow up Dino at this place. The building is still there as a used car lot.
tbuckles;
Do you have an old one of the Restored Texaco there? Would love to see the original thing.
Chuck
WOW Now how cool is that

Old Champlin Truck

Old Model T used for Kerosene Delivery

The town of Orcutt, California was established as a Union Oil town when one of the company's largest gushers was discovered there in the early 1900's. The gusher was named "Old Maud" and she would become the foundation for the Union Oil company in the Santa Maria, Lompoc, Orcutt, and Guadalupe area for many more years.

Here are some photos of service stations taken on the Coast Highway (that's Highway 101) coming from Los Alamos into Orcutt and then into Santa Maria in the 1930's. If you know this area, you know that the highway no longer runs through either Los Alamos or Orcutt today but bypasses both towns to the east.

Despite their significant presence in the area Union Gasoline wasn't the only brand available...

I've written about the Richfield Beacon towers on Oldgas before. Santa Maria was the location for one of them as you can see on the right. The towers on the left are oil wells of course. If you look closely you can see service stations up the highway on the right too. This is a Cal Trans photo so they were more interested in the new pavement then the gas stations when this photo was taken.

Keep posting those photos!
Champlin Staion Onawa iowa

Here is a nice Phillips 'cottage' station.

Note the two Phillips '66' globes, the one Phillips 'Unique' globe and the 'Ford Benzol' globe.

This was probably located somewhere in Michigan (Detroit/Dearborn area Maybe) since most - if not all - Ford Benzol distributors were in Michigan.

Later . . .

Jim
Champlin Swea City Iowa

1936 Newton Iowa

1937 Nevada Missouri

I can't quite place this. It's station/marketing related, but there appear to be other displays around it. Given the old logo, it's definitely from the 20's.

Old Cliff Brice station in Colorado. Look at the display pump.

Sorry I have technical difficulties??
Ric

[This message has been edited by DuceCpe (edited 01-01-2008).]

Appears to be a Neon MINUTE MAN on canopy.
Location unknown
Webster South Dakota

1963 Sedalia Missoui

Wilmar Minnesota

Here's a really old station.

Note the stack of tires on the pole.

I can't read the globes - but you can get Alcohol for 55-cents a GALLON!

LOL

Later . . .

Jim

By oldnfuelish
By oldnfuelish
On one of the banners in this post I used a front on shot of this station in Los Alamos, California. These are some farm fresh photos that I just go today from a another family member of the original owner.

Nothing like new photos of an old gas station!

They're still pumping gas at this same location but it has changed a lot since these photos were taken.

Shot with HP pstc3100 at 2008-01-04

Shot with HP pstc3100 at 2008-01-04

Sunoco station
Todays' Photo . . .

A great Chevy Dealership and Gas Station.
I love the 3-D Art Deco lettering on the building.

It appears that they are selling Mobil Gas.

Later . . .

Jim

By oldnfuelish

[This message has been edited by oldnfuelish (edited 01-05-2008).]
Caption on back reads "Grand Street service station, figured in the Charles Mattson kidnapping case" PI neg.

Please do not reproduce

Jackson's Richfield gasoline station 2658 W. 85th Seattle circa 1931

Please do not reproduce

Photo taken near Warren, PA I believe.
Great stuff, keep it up, can't get enough!

[This message has been edited by tokheim (edited 01-05-2008).]
Here's a nice photo for a Saturday.

A Hi-Speed Gas station. A very nice brick station with some very kewl ornamentation.

And since we have been discussing file size on another string . . .

This image was hosted thru ImageShack.
I created the file in PhotoShop as a 8" wide by 6.4" high image @ 72 resolution. That is 574 x 471 pixels.

I then 'Saved for the Web' (as a .jpg file) at 100% quality and ended up with a file of 113.3K.

Later . . .

Jim

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 01-05-2008).]
Hope this works better. DB wished you would have said something sooner. Thanks Jack

1964 Wakefield Nebraska

Longmont Colo. 1964

1966 Ulen Minnesota

Here is Hy-Flash station in Shelby, Ohio. I need to make road trip and see if the building is still there..
Randy

A Champlin station in Enid Okla. in the early 50's that my family used. The building is still their.

Here is how it looked in sept last year.

Curt you did a great job, and thank you and everyone who posted photos as I enjoyed them. Jack
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk