Oldgas.com Home
Johnson Oil Refining Company Chicago, Illinois

Intro
My father and I have volunteered to contribute to the “company of the month” for Johnson Oil Refining Company out of Chicago Illinois. We do not pretend to be experts on the company, but have been serious collectors since 1997. Since this is the only brand we collect, all of our time is spent researching history and searching for new and unique items to add to our collection. We both have a love for tri-five Chevrolets and we wanted to experience the Carlisle, Pennsylvania swap meet. In the spring of ‘97, as a graduation present from my father, we had a chance to do just that. It was about this time that we thought about adding a sign or gas pump to the garage as a way of showcasing our cars. The rest is history for us.

Our description of the history of Johnson Oil is taken from what we’ve been able to piece together from our study of the collectibles, what we’ve heard from others and is also based on two excellent articles by Wayne Swearingen in PCM and Woody Johnson in CTO, grandson of Homer Johnson, founder of Johnson Oil.

In the Beginning
Horton, the oldest of the 5 brothers involved in the founding and management of the company, followed in his dad’s footsteps by going into the oil business in Warren and Sheffield counties, Pennsylvania. The next youngest son was Homer, who actually founded the Johnson Oil Refining Company. He went to Princeton for a year, thought it was a waste of time and wanted to go into business and join his brother in the oil fields. Younger brothers Ralph, James and Isaac were still “finding themselves” and were initially along for the ride.

In the early1900s, Homer held a job with the Indian Oil Company as the treasurer and ended up in Lawrenceville, Illinois, where he and his brothers began the process of starting up Johnson Oil. In November 1909, at the age of 25, Homer and the brothers opened the doors marketing petroleum products in demand at the time.

The original bulk plant opened in South Chicago Heights, where a building with the “Johnson Oil Refining Company” logo still stands today. They started with one employee, a horse-drawn wagon and the name “Johnson”. As a pretty cool little foot note, the orange and black in the logo came from the colors of Princeton University, the school that Homer attended before his oil venture. The plant was moved in 1910 to Galesburg, Illinois, while they renovated and geared up for the roaring twenties. They came back to Chicago Heights in 1913 and in 1919 opened the first Johnson station there.

Horton was the company’s president from 1911-1912, but passed away in 1912 at the age of 34. Homer, the real driving force behind the company and really the only one capable of running it, moved to Chicago in 1920 to run the company. Before this, he and his family lived in Southern Illinois. We are not sure if he ran the company remotely before then or if someone else called the shots. In 1922, Homer moved the corporate office out of Chicago Heights and into Downtown Chicago. At the same time, a massive fire leveled the Chicago Heights plant. By 1923, they rebuilt that main bulk plant as well as planning for 125 smaller facilities through Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. We have paperwork that stated the company had offices in Detroit, Pittsburgh as well as the main refinery in Cleveland, Oklahoma, at that time.

The Cleveland, Oklahoma refinery generated a few interesting stories for the Johnson Brothers. First off, they had a smaller refinery there that Brother Ralph was running. While in Cleveland, he met and married a lady whose father owned a huge ranch that had vast quantities of oil under it. This proved to be a great benefit later on as this land kept Johnson Oil supplied with crude oil well into the late 1940s. Another interesting piece of history centered around train cars. The company had a fleet of 400 awesome looking tank cars used to transport and advertise Johnson Oil. In 1933, this fleet was the source of a U.S. Supreme Court Case after taxes were imposed on the entire fleet. Johnson prevailed and the tax was imposed on only 64 cars, since logically all of the fleet was never in Oklahoma at any given time.

The company had a couple of interesting transitions in the late twenties, which was considered by many to be the high water mark. Up to this point, the company had grown from $400,000 in assets to $6,000,000. Then tragedy struck. Homer Johnson passed away in his office in March of 1929. This left the leadership up to Isaac. He did an adequate job maintaining the status quo, but because of new competition, and the economy, business started to slow. Status quo wasn’t going to cut it. The secondary brand of “Brilliant Bronze” was established and the company continued to expand into most of the Midwest. We have maps from Oklahoma, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio, Mississippi, Michigan, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Louisiana, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and even Texas.

For most of the thirties the company continued to lose ground to other larger oil companies. Sales were dropping and, after Homer’s death, the company lacked the leadership and marketing drive to compete successfully with the “big guys”.

In the early forties a new direction was initiated. A concerned Johnson employee spoke with Isaac, who was still in charge, about turning all the stations into cut-rate gas outlets. Isaac was convinced and the plan was implemented and it paid off. The company received a “shot in the arm” from much needed new business. It was during this time period that the “save 3 cents per gallon” slogan was born. The company’s product line consisted of Johnson Ethyl, Johnson Winged 70 Gasolene, JO-RE-CO non-leaded gas and Johnson Oils. A similar mix was offered under the Brilliant Bronze, Brilliant Penn and Brilliant Ethyl brands.

World War II wasn’t the best of times for Johnson Oil. Some might say that it was the beginning of the end. The company focused more on marketing the “Brilliant Bronze” name. But once again business started to get stagnant, and the ownership of the company was dispersed throughout the families of the founding brothers. We have a lot of smalls or give-a-ways during this period that we will share thru pictures. The brothers also made the decision to continue paying their own salaries, but stopped paying dividends to the owning families. As you can imagine, this caused battle lines to be drawn.

After the war, dividend payments resumed, but the damage was done and the company was in deep trouble. Marketing was pulled out of the areas not easily supplied by the refineries. Johnson stations only remained in the states of Illinois, Michigan, and Oklahoma. Isaac also passed away during the late forties, giving way to one of the last remaining brothers, James, to steer the ship. He lacked the leadership that Homer exhibited, but listened well to others with good business skills. He presided for a few years until 1950, when the company Secretary, Garnett Lilly took over.

Homer’s immediate family was frustrated with how the company was being managed and wanted to sell the business. Cousins and Uncles were at odds with other family members and didn’t want to sell. You see they all had ulterior motives for the company staying in business. One relative held the bank loans and another profited from the monthly insurance premiums. By 1952, Homer’s family held firm, and convinced everyone that the best thing to do for everyone was to put the company up for sale.

For $6,000,000, Gaseteria Oil Company purchased Johnson Oil Company in 1956. The Illinois and Michigan stations were converted to the Gaseteria or Bonded Brand, and the Oklahoma assets were sold off to Deep Rock. In 1957, Russell Williams, the owner of Gaseteria was killed in a plane crash. This tragic turn of events forced the sell of Gaseteria to Standard’s Oklahoma Oil Company Division where the stations were then branded Oklahoma. In 1960, the stations were finally branded Enco under Standard Oil of New Jersey.

Whew. That does it. What a soap opera. It doesn’t sound like there was ever a dull moment in the road traveled by the Johnson Family. It is interesting to note that the company was never a publicly traded company nor did they ever totally discontinue using the Johnson name until the end in1956. We talk to people, and quite a few think that “Brilliant Bronze Stations” and “Johnson Oil” have nothing to do with one another. This is a misconception. Well, let’s see some pictures. I hope everyone will try to participate. We will post plenty of pictures throughout the month via Bob, Scott and others, but we want to see some things we don’t know about. Needless to say, we are always looking for new and unique items to add to our collection.

Thanks for your time,

Jeff and Neil Johnson

[This message has been edited by JORECO (edited 04-01-2004).]
Alright guys with Bob's help, this is the first attempt to post my first picture. If it comes out, it should be my father and I outside the Johnson Oil Building that still stands in South Chicago Heights that I mention in the story. I think this was 1999 right before our first Peotone, Illinois, show. We were in heaven.
Oh man, it worked! Bob, you've created a monster. The next 2 pictures are pictures of my living room. The first is the A-38 with original ad glass and the globe to match next to a NOS tin tombstone sign. The other picture is a overall of how our globes are displayed over my kitchen. I will post pictures of each individual one later.

The next picture is a item we just picked up a month ago. It is a NOS, crated "save 3 cents" porcelain sign. This was the slogan that marked a period of change with Johnson Oil in the early 40's. We haven't even got in hung up yet.
Great stuff Jeff!
I've seen that pump in person and this picture doesn't do it justice.
Bob
Great Jeff. keep it up.

------------------
www.vintage-logos.com
Here is another recent find. This double sided porcelain sign is huge. It is 4 ft tall and a little over 6 ft wide. We think it went atop a pole with the "save" sign below it.
Hopefully most everyone saw this in the globe of the month. This is a picture of our first Johnson globe, my father and I along with Johnson family members in Peotone.(1999).
This is one side of our pocelain 48" round sign along with my custom made tool box cover. It is sick, isn't it????? I know I have a problem, but I don't think it is that abnormal?!?! LOL
Great job Jeff and I can't wait to see the rest.................

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
Here's a Johnson Ethyl globe from the 30's. This one has a blue Ethyl "burst". There are also versions with yellow and orange bursts.

Hi Johnson 5 qt-

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans
awesome stuff, keep them comming really enjoying them. cheese
I love Johnson stuff..thanks so much sharing the the info you have uncovered on this Company Jeff and Neil. GREAT JOB> I am doing a 36b to Johnson but it isnt done yet but here is a picture of a bank thats currently running on Ebay.

Thanks again..great stuff

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA
Thats all I have in Johnson also Hubba is a bank. but we at Vintage-logos have three different globe images. great stuff Jeff.

------------------
www.vintage-logos.com
I went to an auction today that had five original Johnson lenses (plus a broken one) and the original shipping crate. These lenses are like the ones on Jeff and Neil's first globe pictured above. These lenses are worth about $175 each on the low end and maybe, MAYBE 225 on the high end. High bidder had choice of 2, 4 or 5 lenses. The high bidder also got the crate. I dropped out at 175. Two more bidders were gone at 200 and 225. The last two bidders duked it out all the way to $375. The winning bidder (a guy that auctioned his gas and oil collection 2 years ago) took 4 lenses at that price! The 5th lens sold next. I went to 225.... not good enough. The same two bidders took it to 275. The broken lens sold for ten bucks.
Alright guys, I am now officially organized. I got a bunch of pictures to scatter out through the month. I'll try to pace myself. First one is a unique single sided Porcelain No Smoking sign. Next one is a painted tin Brilliant Penn sign that, best we can tell went on top of a oil can display rack and the third one is a huge 10ft x 2ft painted tin "Brilliant Bronze" sign in a wooden frame.

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 04-05-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 04-05-2004).]

I don't have very many Johnson items. Here are the few I do have 30" Johnson ethyl, 15" Johnson Time Tells, Johnson flange sign
13.5" Johnson Time Tells

Sorry the other pictures were coming up too big. You can see the other signs and globe at http://www.globesandsigns.com/
Just click on the Misc.
John

[This message has been edited by www.globesandsigns.com (edited 04-05-2004).]
The pictures above are of our tin die cut NOS Johnson Tombstone sign annd the Winged 70 sign. The wingspan, if you will, on the "Winged 70" sign is about 48". Both are mint. The other 3 are pump plates. The last one is the only reproduction. It is dated, but has a interesting story. A guy went to reproduce them and wanted them just like the original one posted above. Turned out colors were reversed. He wasn't happy.
John, you have some nice quality stuff. I actually have pictures of your flange sign and globe. I would kill for either one of those. We have done some business in the past before. Thanks for posting. Let's see your 30" sign. I don't have a good photo of one of those to post.

Thanks, Jeff

John, I love the orange ripples. They are killer! We need to get one of our lense sets in a ripple. We don't have either size of the "time tells" with hour glass logos. The above globes all reside above my living room. The first one is a 13.5 orange ethyl burst capco that matches the A38 ad glass. The second one is a Winged 70 13.5 on a original orange capco. The third is a 15" ethyl burst on orange metal high profile. The orange paint that is left is original and you can still see the sticker on the bottom of the body. I like the petina. The fourth one is a Brilliant Bronze on a Balcrank body. The lenses have notches at 12,3,4,8, and 9 o'clock. Pretty rare. The fifth and sixth are both self explanitory. Both are 13.5 on wide milk glass bodies. The last one is a before and after of a super rare (only one we know about) 15" lens. We had it restored and haven't regretted it for one minute. Unfortunately we only have one complete lens and pieces to another. The body to it has a brass copyright tag on top from 1919. That and the color of the logo makes it one of the earliest Johnson globes we know of.

Thanks, Jeff
What an incrediable collection Jeff amd Neil. I love that Johnson stuff, unfortuanatly I have not been able to aquire anything but a map. Keep those wonderful pics coming.
AWESOME..I am LOVING IT

------------------
Very nice job Neil and Jeff. Love the colors and even though I don't have any Johnson stuff to post I am enjoying the company. Keep the pictures coming.
Craig
I am posting these RARE quarts for Jeff and I will let him tell us about them. These are really hard to find.....
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da27b3127ccebc74ad0bd6450000004610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da27b3127ccebc74add5d69b0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da27b3127ccebc74adddd6930000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da27b3127ccebc74adb1d6ff0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da27b3127ccebc74adcdd6830000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
Two neat fired on bottles....
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da27b3127ccebc74adb857c60000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
Thanks Scott for posting our cans and I really appreciate the kind words about our collection. It is fun showing some of this stuff off. I have a good bit more to come. For now, the first picture shows our NOS 5 quart, NOS 1 quart and mint bank. Unfortunately, the bank is the only one not full. I thought they made a cool picture together. Green "Breeze" quart, and orange "Breeze" quart are also full and perfect. Gold "Breeze" quart completes the set. Finally, we have a "Brilliant Bronze" can. There are 2 variations of this one with "HD" and "MHD" in the middle. Does anyone know what that stands for?? High Detergent, Heavy Duty, MMM.......???? Only quart can not pictured is a red and black "Brilliant Penn". We haven't found one for sale, YET!
Finally, we have 2 nice examples of the quart jars that are more common. Tomorrow, we'll post some square cans, and big 5 gallon tins and grease pails.

Thanks,
Jeff

[This message has been edited by JORECO (edited 04-06-2004).]
I'm going to let Jeff fill you in on the information of the following posts. I was telling Jeff I never ever thought I would say WOW about a 5 gallon can but I was wrong. Cool stuff guys. A++++++
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da26b3127ccebc67287c6fbc0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da26b3127ccebc672b80aee90000004610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da26b3127ccebc672835eec50000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da26b3127ccebc67281beeeb0000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da26b3127ccebc6728686fa80000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da26b3127ccebc672821eed10000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da26b3127ccebc6728226fe20000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da26b3127ccebc6728e46f240000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da26b3127ccebc6728446f840000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da26b3127ccebc67283deecd0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da26b3127ccebc6728e06f200000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da26b3127ccebc6728e9ee190000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da26b3127ccebc6728ee6f2e0000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
Scott and Bob are really doing my dirty work by posting these pictures. I cannot thank them enough! The above cans are all either grease cans or of the 5 gallon variety. We have been surprised at what we have run across that matches some of the smaller quart cans. One of my favorites out of this batch is the 5 gallon (still full of steam turbine oil and heavy) white pails that has pictures or ads of other specialty items that Johnson sold printed on the back. That can displays well from any side.
Tomorrow, we will post some of those smaller specialty cans and some insect repellant.

Thanks,

Jeff
unreal !!!!!... do you guys stick to one brand ???... hell.. i guess you do... wish i could do that.. awesome stuff !!!
DROOL IS SUDDENLY AN UNDERSTATEMENT

------------------
I knew this months feature was going to be awesome. I'm certainly not disappointed!

Johnson/Brilliant Bronze stuff isn't that easy to find. There is alot of competition for it when you do find it. Jeff and Neil have built their remarkable collection in a short period of time.

Jeff has over 100 more pictures to post!
Bob
All I can say is Wow! I've got a new favorite brand! We don't see any of this on the left coast. hey Eldon, you checking out this orange/black company? I know you are drooling too.....Yes, we love the Harley, Phillips 66 and now Johnson colors.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
SO FAR....SO GREAT!
AWESOME HISTORY ON A SMALLER REGIONAL COMPANY. THE PICTURES ARE SUPER! I GUESS IT HELPS IF YOU COLLECT MAINLY JUST THE ONE COMPANY AND DO A MONTHLY REPORT....I COLLECT SOME KENDALL,
BUT NOT MY MAIN EFFORT. NOW I GOTTA FIND ME A JOHNSON CAN OR SIGN OR TRINKET.....LIKING THOSE COLORS TOO!
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MORE FROM THE JOHNSON TEAM OF REPORTERS. THANKS SCOTT TOO FOR ALL THE POSTING PAST AND FUTURE! I KNOW IT TAKES ALOT OF TIME.

DOC @ TAG/W
SO FAR....SO GREAT!
AWESOME HISTORY ON A SMALLER REGIONAL COMPANY. THE PICTURES ARE SUPER! I GUESS IT HELPS IF YOU COLLECT MAINLY JUST THE ONE COMPANY AND DO A MONTHLY REPORT....I COLLECT SOME KENDALL,
BUT NOT MY MAIN EFFORT. NOW I GOTTA FIND ME A JOHNSON CAN OR SIGN OR TRINKET.....LIKING THOSE COLORS TOO!
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MORE FROM THE JOHNSON TEAM OF REPORTERS. THANKS SCOTT TOO FOR ALL THE POSTING PAST AND FUTURE! I KNOW IT TAKES ALOT OF TIME.
HERE IS MY ONLY CONTRIBUTION THAT WAS SHOT AT GHENT'S N.E. GAS BASH:

DOC @ TAG/W

[This message has been edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE (edited 04-08-2004).]
jeff super collection the best johnson collection i have seen , and also want to thank you for posting the before and after photo of the rare globe that was restored by dawn here at big cheese, you have done a super job with co.of the month and it is very enjoyable. thank you, terry
I really appreciate the kind comments guys. I was a little nervous at first, but, like Bob said, once I got going, I can't wait to post more. I do have a lot of photos. We shall see how much of them get posted. I have the plan laid out for the next few nights. They had a ton of "givaways" and promotional items, some real neat, that I will post.
Most of you have asked, and yes, this is pretty much all we collect. We don't walk through the swaps with blinders on, but we do have a much higher priority on Johnson items. It is fun to see how much of one company we can collect. PLUS, this is really all we can afford. Hell, sometimes we can't afford just Johnson items.
Cheese, sorry about not giving the credit before. I don't know where my mind was. I should have posted that info with the picture. I tell everyone that the quality of Dawn's work blows us away, and, even though it is a little controversial, my father and I have not regretted having that lens restored one bit.
Stay tuned for more goodies.

Thanks,
Jeff
It is only getting better you guys. Here is some more Johnson goodies. Who wants to go out and try to find something Johnson after this thread? Great job Jeff & Neal.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da29b3127ccebc113eb120620000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da29b3127ccebc113e4520960000004610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da29b3127ccebc113e9f204c0000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da29b3127ccebc113ff960b20000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da29b3127ccebc113fa4e1df0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da29b3127ccebc113f4360080000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da29b3127ccebc113c6fa18d0000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
Well, for tonight we have a couple of "fly foe" products. This was Johnson insect repellant. The can is a sample can and the sprayer was suposedly found with 11 others in a case that hadn't been used. The Centralene can is a "trip to the hospital waiting to happen". You have to be carefull and your shots have to be up to date to pick this one up. This is one of the earliest cans, from the teens. We have pictures of better examples that we do not own. Those will come later.
Next, is a salesman sample perfect gallon can. It doesn't even look real. A case of those was found with the "fly-foe" sprayer. How would you like to be that guy?? Another thin gallon can (what is "knee action lubricant"?) is next, then a handy oiler, a can of "handy cleaner" and a really neat little Brilliant Bronze guaze bandage tin complete with unused bandage rolled up inside.
Finally, we have the "floss e gloss" cans. Believe it or not, all 4 of those cans are different. You have to look at each one close, but the other 3 sides of each can tell the tale as well.
Tomorrow, we will start posting some of the "premiums" that were given away at the stations.

Thanks,

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JORECO (edited 04-08-2004).]

[This message has been edited by JORECO (edited 04-08-2004).]
wonderful story and the writing of the piece was first rate, a breath of fresh air. gary
Here are some of Jeff's and Neil's calendars.

Here we go. I love calenders. Simply put, they date the logos. You can learn so much about a company from them and maps. Anyway, these are all desk calenders. All are cardboard wrapped in a leather like material except for the 1941 calender. It is metal. The 1946 has balsa wood on it which I think is odd. The one from '53 is the newest dated item (other than a few maps) we have from the company.

Thanks,

Jeff

OK, Bob wants to know if that is some kind of sick pain toy in the first picture. That is a "bolo" paddle. There should be a rubber ball stapled to it. The back side is marked like a baseball diamond. I personally had one when I was a child and it lasted about 10 minutes before the ball fell off.

Next to it is a little plaque that has the Pledge of Allegience on it. On the back, the wood is stamped or branded "Compliments of your Brilliant Bronze Stations".

The next pic is a really cool, old metal wind up alarm clock, next is a balsa wood plane never assembled in the box (wind with advertisement shown), then 2 different angles of a cardboard G-MAN toy periscope (it works), Brilliant Bronze hot pad, Brilliant Bronze pocket dictionary, a pocket watch with leather cover (this is not really old, a reproduction) and finally a Brilliant Bronze business card holder.

Tomorrow, more of the same.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tonight we have a small pin back thermometer, a few bigger (about 8" tall) painted metal termometers, license tag toppers that I am sure most of you have seen, and a few variations of hot pads for the last couple of pictures.

Thanks,

Jeff

Here, we have 3 colors of coat hooks with suction cups. One of them still has the box. One interesting thing to note is that the yellow one in the middle has "save 2 cents". This is the only item we have, or have seen that uses 2 cents instead of 3. Weird. Next picture is of a couple of wall mounted broom holders in the box, next is a wooden ice scraper and a set of 4 license plate mounting bolts on a cardboard ad, and finally a Brilliant Penn fly swatter.

Thanks,

Jeff
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da35b3127ccebc9d79574e4e0000004610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da35b3127ccebc9d79a8cf810000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da35b3127ccebc9d79d0cff90000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da35b3127ccebc9d7e6e0eec0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da35b3127ccebc9d7e360eb40000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
just super really enjoying it. cheese
First picture is a really neat mirror that clips on your sunvisor and also reminds you to change your oil. Next, is our "bag of bags". It is a envelope with sandwich bags in it. Third picture is of 3 different colors of pocket mirrrors advertising Brilliant Bronze, next we have 3 different years (all from the 30's) of local high school football schedules, and finally we have 2 different colored flashlights. To me, these are some of the coolest items we have. Both are made of cardboard, take 1 "D" size battery and 1 has a piece of wood that acts as a filler (the perfect size) for that battery. Really neat trinkets to look at.

Thanks,

Jeff
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da37b3127ccebcb6579f9e170000004610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da37b3127ccebcb6547b5f5a0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da37b3127ccebcb6546ede7f0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da37b3127ccebcb6546d5f4c0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da37b3127ccebcb654695f480000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da37b3127ccebcb65452de430000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
Alright, back from the long weekend at Chip's and the globe auction. First we have pictures of a Razor sharpener, and vegetable peeler, next is a couple of canning label books that the stations gave away during WWII, then we have a bag of seeds to plant a "victory garden" (so you would have something to use the canning labels for LOL), 3 post cards that were sent out so you would know what they were giving away at the stations and finally a cardboard travel size backgammon/chess game. Check them out.

Thanks,

Jeff
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da38b3127ccebd4e6a3ac1b10000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da38b3127ccebd4e557b81770000004610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da38b3127ccebd4e55f581f90000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da38b3127ccebd4e55c600fa0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da38b3127ccebd4e55a800940000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da38b3127ccebd4e6a6d40d60000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
For tonight, we start off with a regular jar with a Brilliant Bronze oil change sticker attached to it. Notice JORECO written in on it. Next is a couple of clipboards and notebooks, then a embossed screwdriver and salad tongs, then a box of matches, bullet sewing kit and print block. Finally, we have a old "Johnson Ethyl" pinback and the back shot of a "motorist's diary".

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Great stuff Jeff, I'm glad I had the chance to meet you and talk a bit. Your a nice young collector and you should be proud.Thanks for sharing your collection with us and i hope i get the chance to talk to you agin. big thumbs up.

------------------
www.vintage-logos.com
Dwaine, I had a great time meeting all of you. Every time I go to a show, I feel more like a part of the group. Wish we had a little more time to hang out.
In this series of pictures, we have a few toys. The first picture is a matched set of tank trucks of which 600 sets were made by Ertl back in 1992. Not real antiques. The second picture is of our train cars. From left to right, real old toy (1940s) metal, plastic modern day N guage, and then plastic moderm (1980s) plastic lionel. The next picture is of a old model car never put together. We have a receipt with it when a doctor bought it in 1941, model trains were his hobby. He paid $7 for it back then. The last 2 pictures are of a pack of bandaids and a knife honer/sharpener.

Thanks,

Jeff

Alright, these are some of our favorite, more unique items. We have 1 good ad glass that I did a little research and I think came out of a Bowser Clockface. The next 2 pictures are the front and back of a record. I think they used to play this for advertising purposes in the stations. We don't have anything to play this on. It is in great shape. Any ideas on how to get it over to a computer or something a little more modern??? The last picture are 2 glass slides that, I was told, movie theaters used to put up on the screen advertising the stations for filling in between movies. Pretty neat, uh?

Thanks,

Jeff
The next set of pictures are of a "Brilliant Bronze" can opening, multi-tool type thingy, next are metal and cork bottle stoppers and last by not least is my father's and mine most valuable item when it comes to research. Front and back pictures of a 1936 20 page color catalog with cans, displays, logos, and some fuzzy pictures of train cars, stations and the refinery. It is pretty awesome.

Thanks,

Jeff

In this set of pictures we have a couple of polishing cloths with Brilliant Bronze imprinted on them, several brass? locks with Johnson Oil imbossed on them, several different colored and different dated address books with calenders in the back, and 2 booklets that are promo items given away by the stations. They both have a bunch of useless info and a lot of ads for Johnson. The last photo is the ad on the back of both the booklets.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff informed me that he's going to run out of days to post before he runs out of stuff to post. Great collection Jeff and Neil!

For this set of pictures, we have 3 different pictures of a Brilliant Bronze sewing kit in good shape. One pic of the inside and then a front and back shot. Another unique item is a life 1935 Johnson life insurance policy for a employee. It has a larger logo on the inside when unfolded. Then we got a empty gas rations coupon book with "Winged 70" on the front and a picture of the back. It was given out during WWII. Finally we have some of the wall calenders that we have. The ones pictured are framed. The one in the middle is actually a salesman sample that we just picked up not long ago. We have several calenders that we don't have pictures of as they are tucked away waiting to be framed. They look quite a bit different and display different logos on them. Maybe Scott can do a "collectible of the week" later and we can show those off.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff,
It sure looks like the sample calendars went to a good home.
Kevin

I JUST GOT TO SAY IT AGAIN JEFF WHAT A SUPER JOB YOU HAVE DONE ENJOYED MORE THAN YOU NO. RIGHT ON CHEESE
Thanks again, everyone for the compliments. This is the fun in having this stuff.
Some of you have probably seen a lot of these pictures in previous posts. We got a couple different ash trays (the one on the top isn't usually found with the glass insert and the one on the bottom isn't normally found in the Christmas gift box), several different Johnson Oil/Brilliant Bronze maps, our patch collection and last but not least our keychains that all say Brilliant Bronze in some form or fashion.

Thanks,

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JORECO (edited 04-26-2004).]

A huge thanks goes to Bob and Scott for posting all these pictures for me. I cannot thank ya'll enough.
Tonight is blotter and puzzle night. We have pics of 5 different blotters, then another little give a way booklet with fun facts and the last pictures are of a few of our puzzles.
A couple of notes here. There are 18 different (that we know of) 1933 Century of Progress Chicago World's Fair blotters that we have but don't have pictures to post right now. They have a picture of each of the 18 different buildings/attractions at the fair.
The other item is the puzzles. We have no idea how many different images are portrayed. We have 10 different pictures and know of at least 4 more. It is actually kind of fun not knowing what the next one will look like.

Thanks,

Jeff Johnson

[This message has been edited by JORECO (edited 04-26-2004).]
More cool Johnson stuff.........
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da06b3127ccebdfc616e4fe00000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da06b3127ccebdfc60cc0fda0000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da06b3127ccebdfc60118e370000004610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da06b3127ccebdfc617bcec50000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da06b3127ccebdfc60918eb70000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da06b3127ccebdfc60aa0fbc0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da06b3127ccebdfc60a60fb00000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
Today, Scott was kind enough to post a few paper items for us. Top picture is a 1918 postcard from Butler Manufacturing. They made tank bodies. Just so happened they took a picture of a Johnson Gasolene C cab tanker. Next picture is one of many different matchbooks that we have. Would like to find a Johnson Kerosene matchbook. Anybody have one??? Last set of pictures are the front and back covers of a 1917 farmer's record leger. It is in good shape and has several ads for Johnson inside (see last 3 pictures). It is in great shape for being paper and close to 90 years old.

Thanks,

Jeff

I don't have any Johnson items but just want to say great job on COTM and great job to all the guys that already did it. I hope I can do half the job everyone else has done for Signal in May. Congrats. Ted
Ted, I'm positive you will do great. I was a little nervous at first, but am pumped up to have done it. Almost don't want the month to end. Well, 2 days left and I think I have it timed just right. I got enough pictures to cover tonight and tomorrow and wind up empty. The ones posted above are original pictures we have of stations with the exception of the last one that I pulled off the internet some time back. My favorite is the first one because of the signage and the a-38 each with different ad glass.
The next 3 are the start of the end. I fiqured I would end the month with items we don't have but are looking for and know are out there. We have accumulated pictures at shows and from fellow collectors and friends. You gotta know what you're looking for.

Anyway, first is a JORECO can. Only one we know of. Would look dynamite next to Bob's killer globe. Next is a single A38 ad glass with a logo we didn't know existed until recently. A friend sent us this picture taken in the early 90's in Des Moines. Last one is a banner that has the same logo as a pinback button that we recently acquired. We think it is a earlier item, possibly from mid to late twenties.

Thanks,

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JORECO (edited 04-29-2004).]

Final day, and more stuff we don't have. We have a can or 2 that came out of the breeze box, just couldn't quite score the box. Would be neat to display. Next 2 shots are of a 48" Porcelain Johnson Motor Oil and Gasolene sign that was painted over by a pro sign painter back in the day when they were focusing more on the "Brilliant Bronze-Save 3 cents" lingo. It we had it, we would leave it just like it is. Next picture is of a Brilliant Bronze lucky rabbits foot keychain. Next pic is of a flower pot. We have been told that these were made exclusively for Johnson stations. We don't know what to think. Pretty neat though. I think I see a winged hour glass in there!!

The white can in the middle of the next picture is one that we had never seen previously. Next is a checklist sign for Johnson courtesy service. We know of a few, but none have come up for sale at the right time. The next picture of the 3 cans is pretty cool. We especially like the Johnson "Stok Spra" can. Haven't seen another one of those.

Last, but certainly not least, is this Johnson Porcelain flange sign, in awesome shape. My dad and I drool over this one on a consistent basis.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff, I know you wanted these in a specific order. I put them in order I received them. I hope that is o.k.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da11b3127ccebd9858124c1e0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da11b3127ccebd9858fdcdc10000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da11b3127ccebd9858544c580000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da11b3127ccebd98580a4c060000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da11b3127ccebd985805cd390000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da11b3127ccebd9858e3cddf0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da11b3127ccebd985823cd1f0000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
This is pretty cool. This is my last post at a even 100. The first picture is of a real nice early 1 gallon Johnson can from the teens. We have one, but you have to wear gloves to pick it up or you might wind up in the hospital. The last 2 can pictures are of a pretty special can. It is a real nice 5 gallon from the teens that was purchased the day after the big Ray May auction in Peotone. Ray was the one that purchased it. My dad was right behind him as the guy was pulling it out of the box to place it on the table. We had never seen Ray move that fast. I guess retiring from collecting lasted less than 24 hours. We all got a big laugh.

The last group shot is a parting gift. I have it on my computer's desktop. It looks awesome. If anybody wants a high resolution picture to do the same, shoot me a email and I can hook you up.

The last 3 pictures are of different A38 ad glass in nice pumps, all Johnson. These are the same three in one of the original pictures posted above that I mention.

That's it!! I appreciate everyone posting and giving us numerous compliments on our stuff. It really means a lot. That is how we get a kick out of having these things. I want to thank Scott and Bob one more time for posting pictures. These guys bent over backwards for me.

Finally, I want to dedicate this COTM to fellow collector Ray May. He passed away in January, and we think about him EVERY day, especially seeing some of his items in our collection now. He passed on a ton of knowledge to us and was a awesome friend. He preached always buy the quality stuff, even if it meant digging into your pockets a little deeper, because quality is the best investment. He was a quality guy and will be sorely missed.

Thanks everyone,

Jeff and Neil Johnson
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk