Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: roger cherry Highway shields - Sat Mar 20 2010 08:21 PM
There has been some discussion on this site about highway shields so I would like to share my small collection with everyone. It has taken me 15 years just to aquire what you see here. Highway shields from a perticular state can be hard to come by. I have been trying to get one of every road that lead in or out of Memphis, Tn and just recently completed that. The 72 and 78 are cast iron, the 25 and 421 are from east Tenn and are porcelain. The rest are regular embossed steel. If anyone has any highway shields and are thinking about selling, please contact me. Thanks again. Roger

Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: Highway shields - Sat Mar 20 2010 08:49 PM
cool signs~!!! very nice collection,,never thought about collecting them but yours are really neat,,txs for sharing alan
Posted By: grabber Re: Highway shields - Sun Mar 21 2010 12:03 AM
Awesome collection! Most folks have no idea how hard original hwy shields are to come by...I have never seen a diecut NC shield for sale (would love to add one to the collection). I had no idea Tenn. had any porcelain shield signs. Thanks for sharing your collection with us.

Joey
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Highway shields - Sun Mar 21 2010 12:14 AM
Wow Nice collection Rodger, Have always liked the shield signs.
Posted By: itsagas Re: Highway shields - Sun Mar 21 2010 01:22 AM
Cool stuff, I never see any around my area.
Posted By: sd389421 Re: Highway shields - Sun Mar 21 2010 01:23 AM
Roger,

I have collected highway shields from various states.

Early signs were made of 1. poreclain or 2. cast iron. Early signs were also made of fully embossed heavy gauge steel. I have an Iowa 32 in cast iron (wieght about 20 lbs). The background is black with white cateye numbers. The black was an experiment for driving in the snow and at night.

I recently bought a NV 395 with cateyes. Only 3 are known. Got it from a collector of highway signs.

Collecting early US and State route signs are cool!!

Jake, Robert, and a few others really know the signs.

I was just offered a Lincoln Hwy sign which is curved for a pole, made or porcelain, and is from 1916 to 1919. I had to pass since the price was $2500. One on eBay went for a similar price not too long ago.

Prices can have a huge variance depending on the state and rarity.

Al
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Highway shields - Sat Apr 10 2010 09:33 PM
THIS IS THE ONLY ONE I HAVE. BOUGHT IT AT CARLISLE ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO. LOOKED TOO COOL TO PASS UP AND WAS REPRO CHEAP...ABOUT $20. DON'T KNOW FOR SURE IF IT'S REAL OR NOT....BUT I'M LEANING TOWARDS REAL.

Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Highway shields - Sun Apr 11 2010 04:16 AM
Thanks a lot. Now something else I want to collect. OK with a price tag of $2500, I won't be collecting any of those. Thanks for sharing.
Mike
Posted By: grabber Re: Highway shields - Mon Apr 19 2010 11:23 PM
Roger - Nice talking with you earlier today and thanks for the info on shield signs. Here's a Tennesse HWY 70 Shield sign courtesy of Dixie Gas...Condition could be much better. I think it will go down to Lorris SC and have a visit with the VanKannel brothers smile If you visit their website you can see the Pikes Peak sign Don restored a while back...its AWESOME.

Attached picture tenn70shieldssp.jpg
Posted By: roger cherry Re: Highway shields - Tue Apr 20 2010 12:52 AM
That 70 is rough but for the price you did fine. Good talking with you today, keep in touch.

Doc, FYI, yours is most certainly real, and you stole it. Great piece. Now, get you one from New York, they are tough to find.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Highway shields - Tue Apr 20 2010 10:20 AM
THANKS ROGER FOR THE F.Y.I! I REMEMBER FALLING IN LOVE WITH THAT KS/40 ON THE SPOT AND AFTER I BOUGHT IT AND TOLD MY BROTHER WHAT I PAID FOR IT, HE JUST LAUGHED AND SAID "I DIDN'T KNOW RUST WAS THAT EXPENSIVE!" LOL!
Posted By: Old Iron Re: Highway shields - Tue Apr 20 2010 08:51 PM
I don't collect road signs,I only have a few,but this post makes me wonder.I've passed on some because I thought they were just too rusty to display well.

My question to you road sign guys is,what happens to the derireability/value of a sign if it is professionaly restored?I've seen some really good work on NM road signs.

Thank you for your thoughts from a "rookie"on road signs.From what I see on this post,maybe I better stop passing on rusty road signs!!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk