Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 60 Parkwood Neon Gulf Letters - Tue Apr 19 2011 01:05 AM
I have wanted a set of these letters since I started collecting gas and oil items. I was looking at some other items for sale and in the back ground of the picture I could only see a small portion of the letter F. I thought what are the chances so I called the guy and he said yes it was a set of Gulf neon letters and if I was interested I could come and look at them (they were not listed for sale). He was super nice person and had decided he was going to sell some of his things. The price was great and I was thinkful to get them. Overall they are in good shape. The first picture is before I cleaned them up. I would like to restore the neon and repaint the housings. I do have a few questions for you guys.

1)If you were going to restore them would you touch up the edges where some of the porcelain is missing or leave them like they are?
2)They do have some fade on them and I think the close up shows that. Would you guys clear coat them to really bring back the shine or leave original?
3)Does anyone have close up pictures of how they look with the neon compete? I would like to have some pictures to show to who ever repairs the neon for me.
4)The most important question is how much do you think it will cost to repair the neon? I have already started to sell some of my other small beer neon signs I have to help pay for the restoration.

Posted By: strnge Re: Neon Gulf Letters - Tue Apr 19 2011 01:26 AM
The cost of neon work varies from area to area. I have only repaired one neon sign. It was a michelin and it was a small script sign. I would be useless to help you on that part.
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: Neon Gulf Letters - Wed Apr 20 2011 12:49 AM
Are the cans(backs of the letters) Painted steel or porcelain coated? Mine are porcelain coated ones that have been over-painted. If they are porcelain I would clean off the old paint and leave them as is(no restoration) and have the neon restored. Just my opinion.

There's a shop in the Chattanooga area that has done three neons for me. They were really reasonable in price. Did a ten foot long Woco Pep for $300 including new transformer and stands...Dale
Posted By: 60 Parkwood Re: Neon Gulf Letters - Wed Apr 20 2011 04:12 PM
Dale, the cans are painted steel. I wish they were porcelain (didn't know they made the cans in porcelain also). That sure sounds like a good price on the neon restoration. We have a shop in the next town over that I have heard does really good sign work. I need to go buy and ask them for a price quote on the repair. I was trying to save up some money before I went and talked to them. I have to buy and sell things to feed my habit on old gas stuff. My wife does not quite understand it when I take money out of the checking account to pay for rust. I wonder if I am the only one who has this problem or if their are others out their just like me! If you have any pictures of your set I would like to see them.
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: Neon Gulf Letters - Wed Apr 20 2011 06:39 PM
Just looking at the pics, from what you've shown, personally I'd leave them as they are. I don't see enough wrong to warrant messing with them other having the neon done. They should look great all lit up. In the end, however, it's got to be what you're own "little voice" tells you to do.
Posted By: Tara Worsham Re: Neon Gulf Letters - Sat Apr 23 2011 03:53 PM
I agree that I would just have the neon re-done and otherwise leave them as-is.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Neon Gulf Letters - Sat Apr 23 2011 08:38 PM
...polish the porcelain, redo the neon and leave it...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk