Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: thermactor FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Fri Jul 08 2011 12:29 AM
Hey Guys & Gals,

It's time to share the petro relics that we've stumbled across in our recent travels, and check out what other people have found as well.

If you would like to contribute to this feature, simply post the pictures here or email them directly to me and I will post them for you. Be sure to include a story or description with your submissions.

If it's too close to the next installment, please note that I may hold your contribution for posting when the new FATW comes up.
Send 'em in!!

Happy Trails!

Wes
Posted By: thermactor Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Fri Jul 08 2011 12:45 AM
I was on a business trip, and went to dinner with an old high school buddy. We ended up eating right next to this fantastic service garage - I was blown away by the detail, and the condition/upkeep!

And, right across the street, a fantastic Service sign, owned by the same business:

Now let's see what you've stumbled across in your travels!
Posted By: Robert77 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Fri Jul 08 2011 01:03 AM
That's AWESOME!!!!!
Posted By: eshaver Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Fri Jul 08 2011 01:07 AM
You can definetly tell that there was at one time a Golden age of automobiling .......... Ed Shaver
Posted By: rufiooo1 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Fri Jul 08 2011 02:31 AM
A family member told me that there were some old pumps in a nearby town so I checked them out. The other picture is another close town that has their visitor center located in an old Shell gas station.

It's odd how I never noticed a lot of this before becoming interested in old gas stuff.

Attached picture Picture 1.jpg
Attached picture Picture 2.jpg
Posted By: KentuckyT Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Fri Jul 08 2011 01:11 PM
I love the Zip building!
Posted By: wwagonman Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Sun Jul 17 2011 03:33 AM
On it's final legs in Whiting, Kansas.

Attached picture Whiting4.JPG
Attached picture Whiting5.JPG
Posted By: wwagonman Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Sun Jul 17 2011 03:36 AM
Holton, Kansas. Al's Motor service.

Attached picture Horton3.JPG
Attached picture Horton4.JPG
Posted By: wwagonman Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Sun Jul 17 2011 03:42 AM
Oop, make that Horton, Kansas.....
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Sun Jul 17 2011 04:11 PM
Sad to see that little station crumbling away...... It's an attractive design.
Darin
Posted By: coheley5 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Sun Jul 17 2011 05:22 PM
daytona beach fla.

Attached picture phph7THEKAM.jpg
Posted By: thermactor Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Sat Jul 23 2011 01:15 PM
I wish someone could save that little station in Whiting. That's a real shame. It looks like it could be done if you rebuilt the roof structure. It's not that big of a job.

Very cool building!

Wes
Posted By: hotcidr Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Sat Jul 23 2011 05:39 PM
Feel very lucky to have gotten these three signs this past week and look forward to finding some gems at Iowa

Attached picture Mickey [].jpg
Attached picture Dodge Bros [].jpg
Attached picture Donald [].jpg
Posted By: eshaver Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Sat Jul 23 2011 06:34 PM
I've posted photos of this diorama previously. It's the Quality Oil # 5 in Winston Salem North Carolina . Eight were built and there plans to do several more when Shell excutives stepped in and told Quality oil management , "No deal ". They wanted services and car washing to be done in more conventional surroundings . This building still stands at the corner of Spring street and Sprauge street near the North Carolina art center of design and near Business I-40.

Ed Shaver
Posted By: moore798 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Sat Jul 23 2011 06:40 PM
That is too cool! I like the accent color.
Posted By: thermactor Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Sat Jul 23 2011 06:45 PM
Very cool, Ed!

Do you have any pictures of the interior of the station building? I'm just curious what it's like in there. I don't suppose you peeked in?

Wes
Posted By: eshaver Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Sat Jul 23 2011 08:31 PM
Why yes , I was able to get a couple of shots . I'll get them in a P- M to you next week ........... Ed Shaver
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Mon Jul 25 2011 06:31 AM
I found what appears to be the remains of a Wayne 70 in the back parking lot of the Gualala Arts Center. The salt air has taken its toll.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: eshaver Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Mon Jul 25 2011 02:42 PM
Hummmmmmm, I see at least four gallons of Bondo in this one ! Ed Shaver
Posted By: nochevys Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Tue Jul 26 2011 11:44 AM
I found this soldier standing gaurd in Frenchboro on Long Island off the coast of Maine.I Spoke with the owner & he said it was removed from service a couple years ago because no one could fix it any more. He said it was free for the taking but would be expensive to get back to the mainland.

Posted By: Oldgas Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Tue Jul 26 2011 12:27 PM
Great pics guys!

Here is the former Sam Ogle Chrysler Plymouth building in Crystal City, MO. I love the old style design. I believe the tiny dealership was dropped during the recent Chrysler restructuring.

Description: Former Sam Ogle Chrysler Plymouth
Attached picture dealershipcrystalcity.jpg
Posted By: KentuckyT Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- July 2011 - Sun Jul 31 2011 10:17 AM
I had to stop yesterday and take a picture of this one.

© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk