Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Mike618b My new pump(work in progress) - Wed Jan 04 2012 09:37 PM
Here's my new pump. Ain't she pretty.

Attached picture DSC02956a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Wed Jan 04 2012 09:43 PM
Ok, so I have started work on another wood pump. I may regret posting it, but I will show the progress. Here, all the parts have been cut to size, and I have made a rabbit joint on the edges to make the joints stronger.

Attached picture DSC02965a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Wed Jan 04 2012 09:46 PM
Here I have added one side to the side collum. Notice the wood blocks to reinforce the joint. Between the blocks and the rabbit joint the collum is pretty tough.

Attached picture DSC02958a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Wed Jan 04 2012 09:48 PM
Both sides are on. Keep 'er clamped up for a while to let the glue dry.

Attached picture DSC02963a.jpg
Posted By: Nicole Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Wed Jan 04 2012 11:07 PM
Looks like it could be interesting...do you have any finished ones to post or a link to a thread of a previous wooden pump you built?
Posted By: JimT Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Wed Jan 04 2012 11:32 PM
Mikes built a few in the past and each one came out really good. Talented guy ,he is. Heres some links.
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=217399&page=1
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=210219&page=1
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Wed Jan 04 2012 11:48 PM
I've always though about making one of these myself. Just gotta pick a style and draw some plane and get it done.

Looks like some inspiration to me, Mike.

Keep us posted.

You're using 3/4" MDF Panels I assume?
Posted By: cggas Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Thu Jan 05 2012 12:59 AM
seen your other pump, bet you can make a very nice set of cabinets.....chris
Posted By: Thunder II Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Fri Jan 06 2012 03:21 AM
I guess this is what I gotta do, if I'm ever gonna get a Wayne 60 wide body...
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Fri Jan 06 2012 03:45 AM
He's either doing a 36 OR 36B this time.
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 12:12 AM
Sorry, I forgot to say, this is a shorty M&S 70. I say shorty because it is 13" shorter to fit in a room with 8' ceilings. This one is made of 3/4" and 1/2" MDF.
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 12:20 AM
Ok, with the sides on, I add some blocks to the top and bottom to serve as attaching points to put the spreader bars and the mounting brackets on. Below is the pieces that will be laminated to form the base. Two pieces of 3/4" and one 1/2" to give me 2"

Attached picture DSC02967a.jpg
Attached picture DSC02968a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 12:23 AM
The base parts are clamped up, and left to dry. I make the base pieces over sized, and will cut them to the correct size later. While the glue dries, I take the finished side collumns outside to route the 3/4" round-over onto the corners.

Attached picture DSC02969a.jpg
Attached picture DSC02970a.jpg
Attached picture DSC02971a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 12:31 AM
With the sides finished, it's time to make the nozzle hardware and mount it. I traced the nozzle hook on my Tok. 39, and transferred the shape to this scrap piece of angle aluminum I had laying around. Then, I cut it out with an angle grinder. I also made a nozzle receiver out of some scrap 1/4" plate. After that it was mounted to the side. I checked the nozzle for fit, and it was on to the next step.

Attached picture DSC02974a.jpg
Attached picture DSC02976a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 12:32 AM
It fits.

Attached picture DSC02978a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 12:35 AM
Added the spreader bars to one side, then attached them to the other. Next, I'll put it on the base.

Attached picture DSC02979a.jpg
Attached picture DSC02981a.jpg
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 12:37 AM
It'll probably be as heavy as a real pump...gutted of course! LOL! but at a fraction of the price. Keep it comin' ....looking GREAT!
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 12:41 AM
Yes, it's true, these things are super heavy when done. MDF weighs a ton.
Posted By: eshaver Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 12:45 AM
You are truly one remarkable fabricator sir !!!!!!!!!!! Ed Shaver
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 02:41 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments so far everyone. Here, the base is on. Now that the base is on, I can test fit the doors. I use a clamp to hold the doors in place as I check the alignment. When everything is all good, I drill the holes into the sides that the bolts will go through.

Attached picture DSC02983a.jpg
Attached picture DSC02986a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 02:46 AM
These sharp little guys are called T-nuts. They are pulled by a bolt into the wood, where their teeth will bite in and hold them in place. Once they are set, they stay put. A little side note, If you step on one of these with no shoes on, you will not need a second cup of coffee to help wake you up in the morning, trust me. The second picture shows the T-nut in it's new home. With all the t-nuts set, the doors can be hung.

Attached picture DSC02987a.jpg
Attached picture DSC02988a.jpg
Attached picture DSC02989a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 02:49 AM
With the doors hung, the top is ready to go on next. I molded the top myself. I made a mold of an original top, and make these fiberglass tops. I don't have any pictures of the molding process.

Attached picture DSC02990a.jpg
Attached picture DSC02992a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 02:50 AM
Top's on, and that is a night ladies and gentlemen.

Attached picture DSC02993a.jpg
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 03:31 AM
Looks like its gonna be an MS 70 or shall we just call it a woodie?
Posted By: Thunder II Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 08 2012 03:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Mike618b
I molded the top myself. I made a mold of an original top, and make these fiberglass tops. I don't have any pictures of the molding process.

I want pictures and descriptions of the molding process! I dont need it now, but please show us sometime, how you do it.
Posted By: Vermonter Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Mon Jan 09 2012 11:24 PM
I remember your last one too, awesome work. I love threads like this.
John
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Tue Jan 10 2012 01:16 AM
Again, thanks for all the positive comments and all the interest everyone. Now it is time to make the face inserts. I have a set of repo face plates. I'm using a scrap piece of 1/2" as a backer. I'll cut a hole for a sight glass. The sight glass is a candle holder, and the spinner is a plastic Christmas ornament from Hobby Lobby. I have a total of $3 invested in the sight glasses. I use the ornament as a ball spinner because I am too cheap to buy the repo prop spinners.

Attached picture DSC02994a.jpg
Attached picture DSC02996a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Tue Jan 10 2012 01:20 AM
I cut a hole in the backer in the right spot. I then hot glued the candle holder in. I added spacer blocks to the back of the backer, which I will attach the spinner assembly to.

Attached picture DSC02997a.jpg
Attached picture DSC02998a.jpg
Attached picture DSC03002a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Tue Jan 10 2012 01:26 AM
The finished insert with the ball spinner. I used a set of Veeder Root number decals for the numbers.

Attached picture DSC03000a.jpg
Attached picture DSC03001a.jpg
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Tue Jan 10 2012 01:29 AM
How C@@L is that! This thread is fun! smile smile smile
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Tue Jan 10 2012 01:34 AM
A picture showing the back of the insert. I glued a strip of 1/2" MDF to the back of the door at the top and bottom of the window cut-out to serve as spacers for the inserts. The insert will be screwed to this strip when it is installed. I made trim strips out of 1/8" flat stock to cover the rough edge of the MDF around the face. Later, it will get painted white to match the faces.

Attached picture DSC03006a.jpg
Attached picture DSC03004a.jpg
Attached picture DSC03005a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Tue Jan 10 2012 01:37 AM
With the inserts installed in the doors, the pump is pretty much done. With the pump built, it's time to take it apart and send it off to Body and Paint. This weekend, I'll prime and paint it.

Attached picture DSC03008a.jpg
Attached picture DSC03009a.jpg
Posted By: WJHcurator Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Tue Jan 10 2012 01:40 AM
Great Job! I may have to resort to that. Utahbob
Posted By: coopwyo Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Tue Jan 10 2012 01:50 AM
Since I am a woodshop teacher, I showed this thread to the kids in my classes. We've been working on a real Erie 71, but as soon as it's done several of the kids want to try and make an MDF pump of their own. They all think that is a really cool idea and a good way to have a pump of their own. Great idea and nice workmanship!
Chris
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Tue Jan 10 2012 02:47 AM
Hose outlet WOOD look better if Wall/Floor flange was mounted inside of side panel instead of outside.
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 15 2012 10:23 PM
I agree Dick, but there are some clearance issues on the inside of the column, and it would be very difficult. I have tried it before with poor results.
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 15 2012 10:29 PM
Ok, so the parts have been primed. The secret to painting MDF is to use a polyurethane surfacing primer. I forgot to take my camera, but shooting primer is really not that interesting. With the primer cured overnight, I dust on some cheap red oxide primer to act as a guide coat. The goal is to sand off all the brown to turn the primer yellow again.

Attached picture DSC03011a.jpg
Attached picture DSC03012a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 15 2012 10:32 PM
It's kind of hard to tell in this picture, but after a few swipes of the sanding block, the high spots instantly turn yellow again, while the low spots stay brown. I'll know the part is perfect when it is all yellow again without any defects.

Attached picture DSC03013a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 15 2012 10:36 PM
After the primer has been blocked, I spray the paint. I build it up a few light layers at a time. The bottom picture shows how I cut in the top before I spray the outside. At this point, there really isn't much to show, as it is all just painting. Coming up tomorrow; Final Re-assembly.

Attached picture DSC03015a.jpg
Attached picture DSC03016a.jpg
Posted By: Vermonter Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 15 2012 11:50 PM
The talent of the people here never ceases to amaze me. Fantastic job. Can't wait to see it finished.
John
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Mon Jan 16 2012 12:14 AM
Ya might have to cut the flange & re-drill more holes for screws, or space it farther inside & use a longer nipple. Worth a try.
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Thu Jan 19 2012 10:20 PM
Here's the window frame. Yep. It's just a picture frame from Walmart. Turns out it's perfect size. I'll toss the back plate and hot glue in the glass. I'm sooooooo happy to have found frames the right size, because the one thing I truly hate about building pumps is making window frames. It is really time consuming. These will get painted silver.

Attached picture DSC03017a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Thu Jan 19 2012 10:24 PM
The finished door. The trim has been painted white, the frames silver, everything has been re-assembled and the main decal placed on. It's ready to go back on the pump.

Attached picture DSC03018a.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Thu Jan 19 2012 10:29 PM
I broke one of my own rules with the top. I didn't drill the holes for the globe holder and the lamp socket. Bodywork 101: Drill all holes and test fit EVERYTHING before body and paint. Oh well, this oversight was small.

Attached picture DSC03019a.jpg
Attached picture DSC03022a.jpg
Posted By: WJHcurator Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Thu Jan 19 2012 11:01 PM
This is pretty amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Utah Bob
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 22 2012 02:20 PM
Here's the finished product.

Attached picture IMG_2032(3).jpg
Posted By: gasoildude Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 22 2012 02:24 PM
Mike that is a job well done. It looks great!!!
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 22 2012 03:50 PM
Wow! DOUBLE Wow!

That looks Fantastic! You have got be proud of that, Mike!

Thanks for sharing your creative ideas along the way! I can still picture the MDF in the trunk of your car LOL!
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Sun Jan 22 2012 03:57 PM
Very nice,mike!
Posted By: archer2 Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Mon Jan 23 2012 02:35 PM
That looks great, excellent work.
Posted By: DIESEL Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Mon Jan 23 2012 04:23 PM
AMAZING!
Posted By: Vermonter Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Mon Jan 23 2012 09:58 PM
wow, great work. How long did it take you start to finish?
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Wed Jan 25 2012 09:04 PM
Thanks again for all the support. I'd say it takes about 25 to 30 hours start to finish. There is allot of down time waiting for glue and paint to cure. The first one I built took about 45 hrs., but that was thinking and planning as I go. Now I have it all down, and have figured out better and faster ways to make parts with less materials.
Posted By: WJHcurator Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Wed Jan 25 2012 09:09 PM
Great job Mike.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Wed Jan 25 2012 09:54 PM
Very cool..I too would like to see the process how you molded the top.
Please let us know.
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Thu Jan 26 2012 12:21 AM
Yes, I will have to show molding process, but it will have to wait until late spring as I have to do it outside in warm weather. The chemicals used in molding are super smelly, and will stink up the house for a week if I try it inside, and believe me I found out the hard way.
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Thu Jan 26 2012 12:40 AM
But....in the meantime here is a picture of mold. I restored an original top, then bolted it to a board. It was then covered in wax, then PVA(a synthetic mold release). The next step was to cover everything with a super thick coat of tooling gel coat. After the gel coat cures, it is covered with fiberglass and resin. When cured, the fiberglass is pulled from the original part, and I am left with a perfect negative of top. The process is repeated on the inside of the mold to form a new fiberglass top. In the picture you can see the left-over film from the PVA. This was left on after a part that failed.

Attached picture DSC03028a.jpg
Attached picture DSC03027a.jpg
Posted By: JohnChr Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Fri Jan 27 2012 12:54 PM
Love your work! Cant wait to get started on my wayne 70 cabinet project!
Posted By: JohnChr Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Wed Feb 01 2012 09:36 AM
btw.. what kind of tool is the electric tool you used for rounding of the edges? Never seen one, but will need one hehe smile
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Wed Feb 01 2012 10:54 PM
It's a router. A Bosch 2 1/2 Hp, combination fixed and plunging. Got it at Lowes, love it.
Posted By: JohnChr Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Thu Feb 02 2012 01:52 PM
Thanks! I looked up "how to use a router" on youtube and it seems like a tool "you cant be without" hehe..

Another question. Is the spreader bars necessary since you have rabbit joints and the blocks on the bottom and the top? You see am going to build a wayne 70 or 71 cabinet and dont want alot of visible mounting "things" on the inside or the outside of the cabinet.
Posted By: Mike618b Re: My new pump(work in progress) - Fri Feb 03 2012 02:51 PM
You could get away without spreaders no problem. I use them because they hold everything together, which makes it way easier to assemble to the base and align everything later in the project, but again, no they are not necessary. If you are going to buy a router, be sure to do your research. Don't be tempted by the $40 special at Home Depot, as they are junk. I recommend the Bosch dual base. It's a great router for the money.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk