Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 57tbirdkid "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Fri Sep 14 2012 09:14 PM
A recent post sparked my interest to start a new category of "company of the month postings" As Disscussed with Jim, I will host a new company every month relating to the Tire, Battery, and Accesory part of the gas and oil hobby. For those of you who are not familiar with this showcase please feel free to post pictures relating to the compnay or any other company history you may come across. The feature company this month is Exide batteries.

Company History From Exide:

The Electric Storage Battery Company
The evolution of what is now Exide Technologies began with creation of The Electric Storage Battery Company, founded in 1888 by W.W. Gibbs. As vice president of the United Gas Improvement Company, a Philadelphia gas lighting firm, Gibbs recognized that electricity had great potential as a source for lighting, and as such, posed a threat to gas. Gibbs formed the Electric Storage Battery Company to create a dependable mechanism for storing power so electric lighting companies could provide services to their customers if and when it was necessary.
Realizing that a better storage battery was a necessary first step, Gibbs purchased the ideas and patents of French inventor, Clement Payen, to transform good ideas about storage batteries (then widely referred to as "Pickled Amperes") into thoroughly reliable commercial products. With the development of the storage battery, or the "Chloride Accumulator," the Electric Storage Battery Company brought the electric lighting industry to a new level.
The "Chloride Accumulator"
In 1890, the Electric Storage Battery Company installed the first practical storage battery at the Germantown Electric Lighting Company in Philadelphia. The battery furnished the lighting current, while a dynamo charged the battery. Soon after, the battery company received a request for 13,000 cells to power six new electric streetcars for the Lehigh Avenue Railway Company in Philadelphia. These streetcars became the first self-propelled vehicles to challenge the supremacy of the horse. Throughout the 1890s, the demand for storage batteries increased, forcing the Electric Storage Battery Company to move to larger facilities.
The possibilities for storage batteries continued to grow. The Pullman Company used Chloride Accumulators to light a few of its luxury railroad cars, and small batteries were sold to operate electric fans, sewing machines and phonographs. In 1898, batteries powered the first submarine in the U.S. Just before the turn of the century, Electric Storage Battery 2
Company batteries were used as power sources in electric locomotives, streetcars, passenger cars, surface boats and telephone exchanges, and for the nation's first automatic switching and signaling systems for railroads.
As the new century dawned, electric taxicabs first appeared in many large cities. They became so popular that The Electric Storage Battery Company developed a product of greater capacity and less weight especially for the "Ply-for-hire" trade. This new battery, introduced in 1900, was the first to bear the trade name "Exide," short for "Excellent Oxide."
The introduction of the electric carriage as a private passenger vehicle, primarily for town travel, heralded batteries as a means of replacing horsepower. The second development stemmed from a common health problem caused by cars at the time: motorists' broken arms. As a driver hand cranked his engine, the crank often swung back violently, injuring the driver's arm. Efforts to eliminate dangerous engine cranking led to the development of battery-started vehicles. The 1912, Cadillac became the first battery-started car with an internal combustion engine, produced under cooperative development between The Electric Storage Battery Company and Charles F. Kettering. The Exide battery also supplied power for lighting and ignition in this model. The functions of starting, lighting and ignition are the origin of today's battery industry term SLI, referring to automotive batteries.]

Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Fri Sep 14 2012 09:21 PM

Posted By: Bob Richards Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Fri Sep 14 2012 09:55 PM
From Ebay; a photo of a 1916 Saxon Automobile pamphlet relating to Automotive Starting and Lighting Systems... From Exide Batteries/The Electric Storage Battery Company...

Posted By: Savinsam Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Fri Sep 14 2012 10:09 PM
I've owned this sign for many years

Description: from Butler, PA.
Attached picture 011.JPG
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Fri Sep 14 2012 10:19 PM

Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Fri Sep 14 2012 10:40 PM

Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Sat Sep 15 2012 12:01 AM
Posted By: Oldgas Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Sat Sep 15 2012 12:55 AM
Big thanks to "57tbirdkid" Keith for volunteering to take on hosting the TBA, Tire Battery and Accessory, of the Month feature. This is a little different from the oil company of the month that we have done in the past. But there should be lots of signs, info and other memorabilia out there in the TBA category.

Let's support this new feature with your pictures and comments. smile
Posted By: gasoildude Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Sat Sep 15 2012 12:56 AM
Here are 2 that I have. Still need to be cleaned.

Posted By: 1937 GMC Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Sat Sep 15 2012 01:12 AM
First I would like to say a BIG thanks to 57tbirdkid for doing this new monthly post, I enjoy learning about the companies that formed and supported America's passion for the automobile. Here are some photos and ads from the past.

Attached picture 4537794444_61a019a8f3_b.jpg
Attached picture 1912-Ironclad-Exide-Battery.jpg
Attached picture d6ce_1_sbl.jpg
Attached picture Exide Batteries 1929.jpg
Posted By: 1937 GMC Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Sat Sep 15 2012 01:14 AM
More.

Attached picture Exide Battery Ad 2.jpg
Attached picture Exide_Ads-216fz09z.jpg
Attached picture exidefireman.jpg
Posted By: azjockey Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Sat Sep 15 2012 01:14 AM
What a great idea for knowledge. Have always always loved the EXIDE battery signs but never really new the history. Only own one exide sign and now i like it even more.
Thanks 57tbirdkid.

Gene
Posted By: oldiesbutgoodies Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Sat Sep 15 2012 08:45 PM
Picked this one up the other day. Unusual color combination,Blue and Yellow never seen before for Exide. Tried to load picture but couldn't get to work.
Posted By: coopersplace Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Sun Sep 16 2012 02:13 AM
Just a couple of other neat Exide advertising pieces: a light-up clock and a round thermometer. The thermometer is Canadian one made in Weston, Ontario and with a dial going down to minus 50. No markings on the clock face and I haven't taken it apart yet to clean it and see if anything is on the motor but possibly Canadian as well. I like a lot of the TBA stuff. Cheers, Don.

Attached picture IMG_0263-1.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0264-1.jpg
Posted By: oldiesbutgoodies Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Sun Sep 16 2012 07:05 AM
hopefully pic came thru

Attached picture 100_3012.jpg
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Sun Sep 16 2012 04:55 PM
A few signs from the 'net:

Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Sun Sep 16 2012 07:47 PM
Thanks for Everyones input Keep them coming !!

Posted By: r49th Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Mon Sep 17 2012 02:06 AM
Here is another sign.

Attached picture exide.jpg
Posted By: Aaron S. Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Thu Sep 20 2012 06:29 PM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: strnge Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Thu Sep 20 2012 10:23 PM
Posted By: strnge Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Thu Sep 20 2012 10:32 PM
Posted By: strnge Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Thu Sep 20 2012 10:34 PM
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Thu Sep 20 2012 10:40 PM
Mike, the curbside and neon are fantastic! Are they yours? If so you have a couple outstanding Exide signs there!!
Posted By: strnge Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Thu Sep 20 2012 10:43 PM
Nope, not mine, just photos I have in my computer for reference.
Posted By: junior25 Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Thu Sep 20 2012 10:45 PM
Exide Storage Battery

Attached picture exide 001.JPG
Posted By: junior25 Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Thu Sep 20 2012 11:14 PM
Exide Sign and Automobile Application Guide from 1923-1942

Attached picture 001.JPG
Posted By: porcelain-neon Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Fri Sep 21 2012 12:02 AM
That neon is a fantasy item
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Fri Sep 21 2012 12:18 AM
There were also a couple of fake vertical exide neons made
Posted By: 983jeremy Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Fri Sep 21 2012 01:33 AM
This is a great thread that is very informative. Makes me want an exide sign now. Thanks guys for the additional posts.
Posted By: oilmanpat Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Fri Sep 21 2012 11:32 AM
I spent my first 6 years out of school working at an Exide plant. glad those days are gone1
Posted By: Badmotorfinger Re: "EXIDE" TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "EXIDE" - Mon Sep 24 2012 02:47 AM

© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk