Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Sundropman05 Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Jan 04 2013 12:22 AM
Hi everyone, I decided to take the month of March and post some history on Sinclair. Would love for others to join in and show some of your Sinclair pictures, collections, or any information you have to add to it.

Being founded by Harry F. Sinclair in 1916 here are some of the first stations that got the company started.....

SINCO being the first logo used

Attached picture 1916 store.jpg
Attached picture SINCO station.jpg
Attached picture 1920s store.jpg
Attached picture SINCO Station pic.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Jan 04 2013 12:33 AM
Some of the first advertising shown in picture, Kansas City salesman mounted oil drum on back of Model T, Barrel held tools and side curtains

Attached picture oil barrell.jpg
Posted By: s932 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 01 2013 06:28 PM
Thanks sundroman for doing the march COTM. I no there are some great Sinclair collections out there so lets see them
Posted By: s932 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 01 2013 06:32 PM

Here is the only Sinclair I have all original except the decal
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 01 2013 09:28 PM
Early Sinclair Cup Grease 1lb can with the Sinco logo

Attached picture Sinco Grease cup $40.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 01 2013 10:03 PM
Sinclair Logos

Attached picture sinclair logo years.jpg
Posted By: keithia Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 01 2013 11:55 PM
Sinclair Gasoline one piece etched.
Sinclair Gasoline one piece baked.
Sinclair Oils one piece etched.

Attached picture sinclairgasolineetched1.JPG
Attached picture sinclairgasolinebaked2.JPG
Attached picture sinclairoilsetched1.JPG
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 02 2013 01:17 AM
By 1913 Harry F. Sinclair owned more than sixty oil companies, most of which were in Oklahoma, making him the largest independent oil operator in the Mid-Continent Region. In 1916 he bought the Cudahy Refining Company of Chicago which owned several pipelines and refineries. Seizing the opportunity, Sinclair moved from Tulsa to New York, secured $50 million in financing, and formed the Sinclair Oil and Refining Corporation by combining all his companies into one entity.

Attached picture Cudahy mirror.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 02 2013 01:37 AM
Sinclair Sinco porcelain pocket watch Fob I put in a shadow box that was suppose to be used for a graduation tassel. Fit perfect with a picture of a Early Sinco station

Attached picture Sinco watch Fob.jpg
Posted By: keithia Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 02 2013 03:36 AM
Few early cans.

Attached picture sinclaircupgrease.JPG
Attached picture sinclairstripedgallonoilcan.JPG
Attached picture sinclairopalinehalfgallon3.JPG
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 02 2013 01:39 PM
I love the oil cans and you have some super nice globes Keithia. Come on folks what have you got thats Sinclair in your collection, we would love to see it?
Posted By: keithia Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 02 2013 02:58 PM
Come on guys I know there are plenty of others who have some great stuff.

Some early signs.

Attached picture sinclairgasolinepricersign.JPG
Attached picture sinclairopalinesigns1.JPG
Attached picture sinclairopalinestripedcansign1.JPG
Posted By: eshaver Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 02 2013 04:42 PM
I have a Sinclair Brontosaurus soap. I jus can't get into the attic to get it out and shoot pictures yet . Ed Shaver
Posted By: Notchcad Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 01:23 AM

Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 02:58 AM
That's an awesome battery charger Clinton, Lets keep it coming, I think we're off to a good start. Here is an early gas can, 11" lubester sign, and Super Flame Kerosene sign

Attached picture Sinclair Gas can.jpg
Attached picture Lubester sign.jpg
Attached picture SuperFlame Kerosene.jpg
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 05:37 AM
I have a few pieces of ad glass:

Posted By: Dave Rowlison Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 09:05 AM

Dave
Posted By: Dave Rowlison Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 09:11 AM

Dave
Posted By: Dave Rowlison Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 09:37 AM

Dave
Posted By: LOWright Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 02:10 PM
A couple Sinclair Movie Stars, both were in Forest Gump and the TV movie Separate But Equal. If anyone has the movie Separate But Equal on DVD, i would like to see it. I only have still shots of the movie set. Thanks, Owen

Attached picture Sinclair 48%22 and Opaline signs.jpg
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 03:30 PM
Here are my few contributions to the Sinclair COTM. The dealer pin is a pretty scarce item from what I gather. When I posted it a year or two ago in the values section there weren't any comments but I had interested buyers. wink
I have 3 Sinclair globes, all common ones. Dave already posted the Dino Supreme, so here's the regular version as well as the lighter green HC on glass. I think there's also a dark green version of the globe.
Darin

Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 06:27 PM

I don`t have much ,but here`s my little contribution..
txs Alan
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 06:37 PM
Here is some of my sinclair stuff.
Posted By: s932 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 07:17 PM
Darin your right there are two diff color variations on the hc. If you look at my pump on the first page that is a dark version
Posted By: Notchcad Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 07:46 PM

Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 07:57 PM
Sinclair Rest Room comment card holder.

Attached picture DPP_0001a111.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 09:13 PM
Dino dealership sign

Attached picture DINO SIGN.jpg
Attached picture Stamp.jpg
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 09:51 PM

Posted By: s932 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 10:35 PM

Here is the dark hc
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 11:37 PM
Dennis you have a nice oil can collection, I love the Opaline race car one, it has always been my favorite. Thanks everyone who has contributed so far, lets keep it coming!!!
Posted By: keithia Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 03 2013 11:50 PM
Nice cans Dennis!
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Mar 04 2013 02:33 PM
still learning to resize and post pics , I figured I might as well join in with you guys.

Attached picture DSCN0178.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0177.JPG
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Mar 04 2013 03:16 PM
Here is some of the Sinclair stuff I have. The globes I have have already been pictured smile

The larger version of the Opaline sign.
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Mar 04 2013 03:20 PM
forgot pump

Attached picture DSCN0179.JPG
Posted By: Bippe Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Mar 05 2013 03:51 PM
All I have from Sinclar is this pin.

Enyone knowe enything abaut it ?
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Mar 05 2013 06:43 PM
I should be able to add a couple pictures. Grandpa used to have the local Sinclair bulk plant in Millersburg Ohio. When he and his buisness partner retired, dad and another guy bought them out. Dad was with Sinclair untill they were bought out by ARCO in about 1969 or so. Dad used to bring home some of the cans, globes and signs and a pump now and then that were at the time considered junk. I remember when I was little dad brought home a couple pumps, probably Bennett 700 series ones that he wanted us to tear apart. We saved the nuts and bolts and if I remember right, dad kept the pumps and motors to fix other pumps with. (Now people keep about everything except the pumps and motors when they "restore" a pump) Anyways, dads collection grew and my brother and I also picked up on the petro collection bug. Picture to follow, enjoy

Grandpa is on the right. The building behind them is still standing. The tanks and building on the far right are now gone. The poles holding up the strip sign on the roof are still there

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Mar 05 2013 06:46 PM

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Mar 05 2013 06:53 PM
I first started collecting Sinclair stuff in about 2003 when I was stationed at Whiteman AFB in Missouri. We had the B-2 stealth bomber there and I was close to the shows in Columbia Missouri and Des Moines Iowa. Mom and dad and my brother would go to the shows and I would meet them there for some family time. I recall thinking, "You paid how much for that?" many times before I started collecting. Even a short 10 years later, those high prices now look like good deals on most of the stuff. After the shows we would make a road trip to see Jackie Knott and his wife. Jack had a huge Sinclair collection at the time and he was selling! The book Sinclair Collectibles by Benjamin and Henderson have a lot of Jacks collection in it. I could look through the book, see something I liked then go see Jack and buy it if he still had it and my military pay could afford it. Plus Jacks wife would always give us a cold Pepsi and some homemade cake. Good times

At a Sinclair station close to KC MO in about 2003
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Mar 05 2013 07:01 PM
Where to start? Sinclair was a major company that did buisness in most of the US plus overseas. In 1966 they had 21,900 service stations and other retailers selling product.

Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Mar 05 2013 10:25 PM
What a great story Wes, and I really liked the pictures. Sinclair must hold a special place with you knowing your grandfather and father worked with all the things we now like to collect. I'm sure they threw so many meaningless things away that could be valuable today not even knowing. Please continue to share, would love to hear more and see some of your collection.
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Mar 05 2013 10:51 PM
Neat story, Wes. It seems like it has been a lot longer ago than 2003 that unleaded gas was even $1.82/gal!......we had a local Sinclair distributor for years in Monett, MO by the name of Sheik White. His buildings looked just like your grandpa's, right down to the sign on top.....
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Mar 05 2013 10:55 PM
Couple pics of Sinclair holding tanks in Fremont, Michigan

Attached picture Sinclair Gas Tanks 2.jpg
Attached picture Sinclair Gas Tanks  Fremont Michigan.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 06 2013 12:10 AM
In 1924, the Pierce Petroleum Company, owner William Clay Pierce embarked upon a business enterprise to link the chain of Pierce-Pennant gas stations with motor hotels and restaurants. The plan was to establish roadside hotels and taverns approximately every 125 miles on Route 66, connecting Chicago and Los Angeles, and Route 50 to Jefferson City. In July 1928, the company opened the Pierce-Pennant Motor Hotel in Springfield, Missouri. This first motor hotel complex included a bus terminal, restaurant, soda fountain, restrooms, gas station, automobile shop and car washing facilities. Other Pierce-Pennant hotels and taverns opened thereafter in Rolla & Columbia, Missouri and in Miami & Tulsa, Oklahoma.

In 1930, Pierce abandoned this business enterprise and sold the chain to Henry Sinclair of the Sinclair Refining Company, who later renamed the chain the Sinclair-Pennant Hotels. Three years later, the Missouri Highway Department moved Route 66 to the Meramec Valley, altering the business traffic for these hotels and taverns, turning many of them into white elephants.

Here is a postcard of a Sinclair Pennant Tavern and a fork & menu I have in my collection

Attached picture Pennant fork.jpg
Attached picture Sinclair pennant hotel.jpg
Attached picture Hotel menu.jpg

Description: Back of menu
Attached picture hotel menu back.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 06 2013 12:16 AM
Couple more pics of some Taverns

Attached picture sinclair pennant Tavern.jpg

Description: Mid 30's
Attached picture Sinclair Tavern.jpg

Description: 1954
Attached picture Pennant Tavern Rolla MO 1954.jpg
Posted By: keithia Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 06 2013 02:14 AM
Two different Pennant globes. One has flag touching the pole the length of the flag and the other does not.

Attached picture sinclairpennantflagtouchespole1.JPG
Attached picture sinclairpennant1.JPG
Posted By: Dave Rowlison Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 06 2013 08:36 AM

Great info & pictures on the Sinclair-Pennant Hotels.
Some maps have the Pennant locations pin pointed on them.

Dave
Posted By: eshaver Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 06 2013 10:12 AM
Now that's a first, Pennant having Taverns and Hotels way before the Gulf Holliday Inn tie inns ! Ed Shaver
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 06 2013 03:28 PM
Here is some more Sinclair literature.

Love the Little Stamp booklet
Posted By: hemistudegasser Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 06 2013 03:48 PM
my before and after

Attached picture !cid_SSPX0068.jpg
Attached picture DSC03287.JPG
Posted By: Dave Rowlison Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 06 2013 08:16 PM

Mexico maps

Matchcovers

Dave
Posted By: coheley5 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 06 2013 08:28 PM
a few of my Sinclair items , The gas station was my uncle's where I spent a lot of time as a kid.

Attached picture phpVIaEDtPM.jpg
Attached picture phpoHr6X8PM.jpg
Attached picture phppiKp8PPM.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 02:47 AM
Time for a few more pictures and a story. My brother and I were at Iowa Gas one year and a guy stops by the spot to talk. He was saying he had an old tanker truck body with a couple of signs still on it. He tried to describe them and it sounded interesting. He said he would bring them by next year for us to look at. Ok, sounds good. Thought we would never see that guy again. Next year I was not able to go to the show but my brother went and set up in the same spot as he always does. The same guy did come back and had the two round signs pictures below plus he gave us the pictures of the signs out in the wild. The marksman did a number on the sign on the right, cut it's value big time but it is still a great sign. Dad ended up with the pair and had the bullet holes repaired by the VanKannel boys.

After the repair;

Dad was happy with the job the brothers did. I think it is his only restored sign. There is another version of this sign also with a small white "tag" looking thing on it as well as I think a 16 inch version.

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 02:48 AM
I think there is also a 16 inch one of these;

A before shot;

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:00 AM
Some Sinclair service staion items. Oil Lubri pump. Think it was used to pump the oil out of a crankcase?

Credit card machine

A grease gun rack. The signs for these show up more often than the racks, from what I have seen

A nice old lubester that showed up at Iowa Gas a couple years ago. The original lids should be cast iron, I think most of the repo lids are cast aluminum

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:06 AM
An oil can cabinet that was used out on the pump island. Sinclair did not make the rack/ cabinet but different companies had different wording on the sign. This one mas made by Sel oil. I found out about it somehow on the internet. My brother and I drove up one snowy weekend to pick it up. The people had a house FULL of advertising stuff, petro, country store beer and soda pop. Spent a couple hours looking at their great collection. I thought i paid to much for the cabinet untill I looked it over and saw how clean and complete it is. It came with the two removeable doors that were put on at night to lock everything up

With the one door on

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:13 AM
Another oil cabinet sign that Sinclair used

Another service station item was the tire lube container. A brush was stuck inside it to get the lube on it then the brush was given a quick wipe around the tire where it mated up with the wheel. The lube helped the tire fit onto the wheel.

An oil can cart. Probably from the 1920's. The cart held the cans and was on wheels so it could be pushed out to the pump island and back inside. There were two porcelain signs on each cart as shown in the picture. The signs show up at the shows now and then

A credit card clip board, used to let the driver sign the credit card slip. Sinclair had at least two different metal ones of this type, plus plastic ones later on

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:18 AM

Another version

A Sinclair employee name badge. Name badges were at one time bringing big time money.

Another lubester, or oil cart. This one was restored. They also had two porcelain signs attached. And like pump restorations, some end up nicer than they ever were originally

Close up of the lid

Posted By: hemistudegasser Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:20 AM
wow wes great stuff
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:23 AM
Another grease gun rack

Couple lubesters

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:25 AM
A couple oil can racks

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:30 AM
Battery charger

Oil can cart

Another lube cart with the signs on top of the pumps to show what oil was in each compartment

An original and a restored lubester

Posted By: Notchcad Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:32 AM
Thanks Wes! I knew you'd come thru!
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:34 AM
All of this work is making me hungry!

Another lubester pump topper. More to come tomorrow!

Posted By: Rust and Dust Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:43 AM
I was wondering where all the sinclair stuff was at. Now we know.
Posted By: JimT Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 09:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
An oil can cabinet that was used out on the pump island. Sinclair did not make the rack/ cabinet but different companies had different wording on the sign. This one mas made by Sel oil. I found out about it somehow on the internet. My brother and I drove up one snowy weekend to pick it up. The people had a house FULL of advertising stuff, petro, country store beer and soda pop. Spent a couple hours looking at their great collection. I thought i paid to much for the cabinet untill I looked it over and saw how clean and complete it is. It came with the two removeable doors that were put on at night to lock everything up

Wes-like I said at the time-Good stuffs usually not cheap, and cheap stuffs usually not good.You can leave it if you dont want it, I like it too.lol Glad to see you kept it. Thanks for sharing your collection-you have some great stuff. That oil can cart is cool. And thanks to you too, Tyler, for the time and energy your putting in to this great COTM.
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:35 PM
Jim, I am glad too I bought it. I was not up on the price or availability of the cabinets at the time and wasn't sure if it was a good price or not. It makes a great display to show off quart cans.

Couple more pictures.

Plastic light up signs came out after the porcelain ones. The 6 foot HC is the only one like it I ever saw. It was probably made in the late 1950's right before Sinclair switched from the HC logo to the trapazoid in 1959.

The new logo that came out in 1959;

A newer sign with the same logo;

I put up a pair of lights

Had a sheet metal frame made for the lens

And put it up on the ceiling.

Another version

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:37 PM
Some Sinclair clocks;

Beware of old clock bodies that had a new repo face put on.

A neon spinner clock

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:47 PM
Couple more light up signs

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 03:57 PM
Sign time, porcelain and tin

There were at least two versions of this curb sign. This one has 4 mounting holes to be used in a ring type holder. The second version only has two holes at the bottom for a different type holder

A little strip sign. This type of sign can be found in many different lengths, from short like this to two or three piece versions

Probably my rarest Sinclair sign. i never saw another one like it in person or in pictures, side one;

Side two

With its companion sign

When I bought this sign I also got a wood shipping frame with it that was marked with a destination of a Sinclair station in Rolla Missouri
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 04:02 PM
A service station bay sign

A 4 foot HC sign I got at the auction in Columbus one year. The 12 inch HC's like this are all fakes as far as I know. They did make 24 inchers, 42 inch, 4 foot and 6 foot. Possibly also 30's?

Posted By: coheley5 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 04:06 PM
Well you got all the stuff in and outside the station what did you do with the building.
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 05:46 PM
This is the most sinclair stuff i have ever seen just from one person!!(Wes) I love the cart with all the cans in/on it! Great stuff! I have one lens but it is broken and it is the only sinclair thing I have. It is on the bottom left of the pic.

Thanks
Noah

Attached picture phpw3P2IjAM.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 07:52 PM
Sinclair's HC gasoline was it's first superfuel. It came out in 1926. The H-C stands for Houston Concentrate, named after the refinery in Texas where it was fisrt developed. Some people prefered to call it High Compression but as per the book, "A great name in Oil, Sinclair through 50 years", it stands for Houston Concentrate

An HC truck door sign

One piece baked HC globe

A six foot DSP in the ring

I was told this sign was made for a Sinclair convention. It is not an old sign but still a piece of Sinclair history

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 07:56 PM
Here is a sign that doesnt turn up very often. It has HC on the front...

...and Super Flame on the back

Two more HC signs that hardly ever turn up

A four foot HC sign with out the black shading on the letters

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:02 PM
A porcelain pump plate. Not sure what pump this went on. I saw a picture of a plate like this that was for Sinclair Ethyl

A better picture of the 6 footer

A four foot with neon on it. I do not know if there ever was an original set up like this or not

Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:03 PM
Great company, there was mention of the sinclair hotels.

Have a few addresses and open dates.
Springfield MO. 07-16-1928- sold to greyhound in 1936
Columbia MO. 01-16-1929 - 1406 OLD HY. 40 WEST
Rolla MO. -1929- HY. US 66 and 63
Pond MO. -1929- 1835 Manchester Rd.

Two others built in Miami and Tulsa OK.- Have found stamped post card from Columbia dated April 1930 and it states that sender had just got there after overseeing grounds planting at the two hotels in OK.

The MO. 1934 Sinclair map has these locations highlighted and the only map year I have found to date with them.

Sinclair not really my thing but I have a interest as they bought out Pierce. Knew Wes would keep this one fun.
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:06 PM
Some odds and ends. I picked this one up from a guy up close to Chicago. I won it on eBay and I was able to pick it up on the way to the one Peotone show. SST. There is a mate to this that says fertilizer on it. This one has a wood frame on the back and had an ink stamp on it for a place in Illinois.

I picked up this rest room sign from the same guy. There are about three different versions of this sign

Another sign I got from an auction. What is refered to as a fence sign. I have since made a wood fram for it

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:12 PM
Dad with a nice 16 inch Opaline he got at Columbus one year

A couple more fence signs

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:22 PM
The Four Brothers Axel grease came from a company Sinclair bought out around the 1920's

The first real porcelain Sinclair sign I ever bought. I got it from Jackie Knott. He has since gotten a lot of my money..

Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:26 PM
Wes you sure got a bunch of Sinclair items!!!
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:27 PM
As seen one year at the Columbia Missouri show

Part of dads collection. The Aircraft sign was made in at least three different versions in at least two different sizes

The Tripple check logo was used for a short period of time in 5 cities. It was tested out as a replacement for the HC logo. Sinclair did not go with it and instead went with the trapazoid shaped sign in 1959. They made a 4 foot, 6 foot and the sign that Clinton posted at the start of the thread. The Productos sign was used in Mexico.

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:33 PM
Not all of this stuff is mine! Some is mine, my brothers, dads and friends.

A truck door sign. Hard to find. Some of the old toy Sinclair delivery truck tin toys have this logo on their door

A pricer sign. Two different versions of this one. One has red lettering. There were numbers with tabs on the top that fit into the slots in the sign to show the price of gas today. I have seen about 7 or 8 of the signs, never found the numbers yet.

Sinclair had their products in all kinds of stuff. Gas, oil, paint, car care products as well as for down on the farm. These signs show up, but most of the time they are not in very good condition. A bunch of them turned up at Columbia a couple years ago, they were found in the original shipping container and most of them were rusted or damaged

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:38 PM
An oil well pump sign. A couple different versions of this one too. Some have a different logo in the bottom corners

An oil well sign

My first gas pump. Another buy from Jackie. It has High Test HC add glass in it. This was another test design. There is also a matching globe to go with this add glass.

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:42 PM
Version two of the Aircraft signs as seen at Iowa Gas one year. I have seen pictures of a small version of this sign. It showed up a couple years back in my area. I think it was a 24 inch, not sure. I never got the chance to buy it then for a very reasonable (cheap) price and now I couldnt afford it

And the open cockpit version, also at Iowa.

I have seen matching globes for the open cockpit sign and the red aircraft sign. A person would think that there may also be an original green and red version too? (There are repo or fantasy green and red aircraft globes out there)
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:44 PM
Tyler and all the others who have contributed so far, you folks are doing an excellent job!!!!

I am not a Sinclair "Junky" but, I can now understand better why you folks have "fallen in Love" with Sinclair!

I hope to see more "goodies" from Sinclair....
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:45 PM
Sinclair used a lot of decals back in the day. They also had some pump plates.

The common Dino pump plate

A red lettered Diesel plate

And the newer green lettered one

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:50 PM
Some tin tacker signs. They were made without mounting holes. They were just nailed to the wall of a station and being made out of tin, a lot of them rusted or got all bent up. I try to put mine in frames to prevent them from getting all buggered up

Another small strip sign, think it is about a 42 inch one that was used on a truck

This is what is left of a flange sign. The bar logo was used for both oils and gasoline and was used for gasoline before the HC logo came out. The flange signs also were made with green lettering

A newer pipe line sign

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:55 PM
I got this off of eBay a couple years ago. I think it is an original foreign sign but I may be wrong. It is heave porcelain and has nice shelving on it. A license plate topper

An assortment that followed me home from Iowa one year

Here is an old one. Several of these turned up in Illinois if i recall. I was runner up bidder on ebay. The winner took the unbroken ones and contacted me on the rest. Dad and my brother made the trip to pick them up. He had three left so we each ended up with one. They were used as part of a wall, along the roof line to advertise Sinco Oils. This should date them to before the bar logo

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 09:03 PM
Getting ready to roll out for home at Columbia a couple years ago. The shows are a good place to see what is out there, find things for the collection and get in contact with other collectors

A plaque that was given to an employee when he retired. There is a paper taped to the back of it with the details. The bottom sign shows up from time to time. There are two sizes of the little ones like this. Beware of ones that have this logo that were cut out of a Dino pump plate or a well lease sign. The size will be off and there wont be any porcelain on the edges where it was cut.

Another HC globe. This logo was in use for several years. There are one piece baked and etched, three piece glass, lenses for Capco, light green and darker green colors and even lenses for 15 inch metal. Plus some have "tall" or "short" HC lettering, plus the repos of course.

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 09:08 PM
Another Sinclair pump. Sinclair did not make the pump, it is just branded that way. This one was getting loaded up in the trailed for the ride back to Ohio. A 36B

One of the bigger two piece strip signs. Some had black shading on the letters, some do not. Got this one from T. B. at Peotone one year.

A couple 700 series Bennetts at a show

These show up some times. Think they are from Belgium. Two versions of this one also

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 09:14 PM
When in Peotone for the show, it is a rule that we go to the Peotone Bier Stube and eat way to much. After about a dozen visits, I finally finished one of their schnitzels this trip!

We also used to go to the one Irish Pub down the road. The show used to be closer to St Patricks Day and we would stop in for a cold one before dinner. We didnt do that in a few years, my brother must be getting old...
While there, be on the lookout for the "Drunken Red Headed Irish Women"

A couple more pumps at the show

One of the local antique shops has a HC sign up front on display, NFS of course

Another pump I drug home, a Wayne 60

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 09:20 PM
A couple cans. PD was Sinclairs bug spray. This can also was still with a wood shipping box

The Productos label would indicate the cans in this box was for the market South of the border. I have never seen a Productos can, would like to see pictures of one if anyone has any?

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 09:26 PM
Sinclair had several different credit card signs, this is one of the newer ones

An old wood sign. They spelled Sinclair wrong

An HC sign and the test Tripple Check

With and without the black drop shade on the letters

These were both made with green or red letters

Another older credit card sign. The little strip sign below it doesnt show up very often

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 09:30 PM

The Bar logo

Four foot Tripple check. This is the very sign that is shown on page 124 of the Sinclair collectables book by Benjamin and Henderson. Jackie had it hanging on the wall over the stairwell to his basement. Dad bought the sign, I got to climb the ladder up over the steps to get it down.

A couple different signs that were used on tire racks.

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 09:37 PM
Another little porcelain strip sign, believed to have been used on the back bumper of a delivery truck

A station display for the anti rust RD-119. They had a couple different displays like this. One tube had a rusty metal bar in the glass tube to show how things can rust. The second tube have a rust free metal bar because it was in the RD-119

A tin tacker for Opaline motor oil

Men and Ladies rest room signs and globes

Sanitized rest room sign version one

and version two

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 09:39 PM
Tin tackers

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 09:43 PM
Porcelain vertical strip signs. At least 6 different ones of these. I only ever saw a flat Mobiline. The Pennsylvania was made in both flat and self framed cookie cutter versions. The Opaline was also flat and cookie cutter, plus there was a Motor Oil and Motor Oils version

Posted By: advertologist Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 07 2013 11:14 PM
Wes, very nice Sinclair collection.. cool

Attached picture IMG_0603[1].JPG
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 01:06 AM
Wow Wes I see you were quite busy today. What an amazing collection you have in your family. There were quite a few pieces I hadn't even seen till you posted. I have seen pictures of the Mexico Productos Chicken sign but never seen one in a collection, I think its a awesome sign. The oil can cart is super nice also and growing up farming I really like the dino farm sign which I hadn't seen. Thanks a lot for taking the time to post pictures and show some signs I myself and others may never get to see. Your contribution to COTM is well appreciated.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 01:13 AM
Wes, you and your family have one of the largest Sinclair collections I've ever seen. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! A lot of hard work has gone into that. I'm impressed.
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 01:28 AM
Thanks to everyone who has posted, some awesome Sinclair items have been shown so far!

Seeing as "Dino" was the first word out of my mouth as a small child (no lie on that one, and I doubt that my mom has forgiven my dad for it yet) I've been fascinated with Sinclair stuff. My collection is not nearly as broad as the Maxwell family's, but has been focused on round Sinclair quarts so I thought I'd share a couple photos of them.

Over twenty years of searching has brought my collection to 76 different Sinclair quarts and there are at least few more on the want list!

Thanks

Aaron Hop

Attached picture sinclair.JPG
Attached picture dino.JPG
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 01:55 AM
Thanks everyone for posting, here is some farm stuff

Attached picture Sinclair farm dino.jpg

Description: Some Farm handbooks I picked up
Attached picture Farm hand books.jpg

Description: Only thing I own with the Sinclair Farm Tractor logo, a rain gauge
Attached picture Farm rain guage.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 02:04 AM
Couple more things

Attached picture Axle grease.jpg
Attached picture Sinclair Extra Duty farm.jpg

Description: P.D. Insect sprayer I got on ebay with a older refill pint can and newer glass bottle type
Attached picture PD pest.jpg
Attached picture Sinclair PD sprayer.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 02:30 AM
Here is 2 pumps I drug back from Michigan, I plan on re-painting the Visible. The Bennett still has the original guts.

Attached picture Gas pump.jpg
Attached picture gas pump2.jpg
Attached picture my visible pump.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 02:34 AM
A 30 inch bar logo Oils. There were several different sizes of both the Oils and Gasoline signs with the bar logo

A wall of different well and warning signs, different color borders, different logos

A transition sign. Single sided tin. The guy is taking down the Sinclair sign to put up the new ARCO sign as shown by his uniform patch. Hard sign to finf in good condition

Another credit card sign with bracket and topper. The sign is DSP. There is another similar sign that the S doesn't drop down into the white. You can see the left side of that sign in the background

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 02:41 AM
I like the way the pump and motor are painted on the Bennett. I think something is being lost with everyone gutting their pumps. (Besides extra weight)

Sinclair made a lot of different cans, globes and signs. It is easy for a new collector to find nice items in all price ranges from this company

Another old sign. I assume the lamps burning referes to carbide lights on old cars?

Covey was another company Sinclair bought out

There are a couple signsthat are duel branded, Sinclair and Goodyear

The red pricer sign

Three diffferent flange signs

Credit card application form holder

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 02:47 AM
Mixed assortment

The Rooster keyhole sign. These were in a metal multi piece frame that is sort of hard to find

One in a ring

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 02:49 AM
Two sizes of this sign, the 4 foot one

And the 6 footer

The pair, one has an S on the end of the word Lubricant

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 02:53 AM
Sinclair had two main types or grades of oil, Opaline and Pennsylvania. There are cans and signs in several different sizes and designs. The two signs at the bottom of the picture are 16 inch. They also had 12, 24 and 30

A safety sign. The number of accident free days could be put in the slots

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 02:57 AM

Green with white letters

white with green letters

This "sign" was made by cutting the logo out of a grease keg

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 03:01 AM
A newer sign

A 23 foot 3 piece neon sign

A 6 foot trapazoid Dino sign

Showing how a cookie cutter sign is different from the flat ones

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 03:03 AM
A cardboard piece that was probably tied to a pole out by the pump island

Another foreign sign that mom and dad got at the Iowa Gas auction one year

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 03:08 AM
Maybe Sinclair, maybe not?

Barge operator directions

Here is one you do not see very often. An unopened box of Sinclair vertical strip signs. Believed to be three cookie cutter signs. NOS. The signs are ink stamped with grandpas bulk plant on the back. Maybe the rare never seen Sinclair Aircraft signs?

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 03:12 AM
A soap bucket that was never cut and folded into a bucket

Take 5...

Posted By: It's for sale Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 12:49 PM
Thanks for your effort , a great collection.
Enjoyed the tour.
Posted By: Tokheim Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 10:51 PM
Outstanding Wes and all!

Have only a few cans, cc clipboard and this Bennett.
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 11:08 PM
I have a couple more pictures left in no real order.

Letters claimed to have been taken off of a Sinclair office building

This held cards with customers info on them. The stations could use it to call up Mrs Jones when her car needed an oil change

A home made sign from some old station

Sinclair also bought out Prairie Oil Company

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 11:10 PM
I hope everyone liks cans...

Couple 5 quarts

And a gallon can

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 11:16 PM
Here is an old Sinco can

Imperial gallon. Sinclair had sales in several countries overseas

Acouple Iowa Gas finds one year

I only ever saw three signs like this. There is a section on the top that never had porcelain on it. All the ones I saw like this had the blank section. I assume it was for a station specific name to be added in by the dealer? I took mine to a local sign painter and had dads name put in the blank

An old Missouri license plate. In Ohio, ARCO bought out Sinclair and used some of the same type "pump plates"

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 11:26 PM
Dad checking out a sign

Tough to find coupons sign

Part of the enjoyment of collecting petro is setting up a nice place to display it. This is a before picture

A get ready picture picture

A during shot

It will never be done but you get the idea. I have a small display. A lot of stuff packed into a small area. I have seen some collections just being piles of signs and stuff and some fantastic displays.

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 11:29 PM
A project for another day. Drywall looks nice but it can be a pain to hang a heavy sign on. Hope to do the pine boards here one day too

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 11:34 PM
I think there may be a can like this with the word Sinclair in red letters too

My buddy

Some group shots

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 11:40 PM

I wonder what this could be?

Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 08 2013 11:45 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....I like that outdoor sign & post!
Posted By: rbonitz Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 01:08 AM

My first pump... And my first post.
Posted By: s932 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 01:59 AM
Wes I knew you had a lot of stuff but wow is all I got. Thanks to everyone posting so far what a great thread this has been for the last three months. No bickering just great people showing great stuff keep it up.
Posted By: Chevrolet SS Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 02:17 AM
Randy, that is one RARE & KILLER sign and in EXCELLENT condition. Never seen that sign before. Your sign has a longer neck, 4 groments vs. 6, tail spacing between banner, white border vs. black border, and more...

There is a difference. Are both these signs original?

Attached picture IMG_0603[1].JPG
Attached picture DSC04878.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 02:56 AM
Ron, also another difference, diameter of mine is 16"
in diameter. I believe Wes's is 12" in diameter.. cool
Posted By: fast66 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 09:43 AM
Both are great :-)
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 10:32 PM
Couple more pictures to post ths afternoon

A Bennett 700 series pump

One way to display pumps, make a 2x4 frame

Wire it up for power

Paint it, set the pumps on it and run the power cord for the pump lights straight down and plug it into the receptacle in the base. The pump will sit higher than it would sit on the floor, sort of like as if it was on a pump island

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 10:37 PM
An old add for Erie pumps

More pumps on a "pump island"

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 10:46 PM
Back side of a"sign" that was used in a wall

Front side. Dad had his Amish neighbor make a frame for this out of some wood from an old cherry tree that grew on the old farmstead. Not sure if grandpa ate the cherry and planted the seed or not

A Bennett double

Some pump faces from a newer chrome era pump

Pricer box

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 10:51 PM
An original aircraft globe that was all washed out. A guys mom repainted it a few years ago.

An original globe body with a decal on it. Sinclair used several different decal'd bodies in the early days

A nice clean etched Gasoline. There were also baked versions as well as baked and etched Oils and three piece Gasolines

A NOS baked HC, they dont get any nicer than this one

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 10:55 PM
Three piece HC. Some were darker green, some were for glass, some CAPCO. A lot of different HC globes were made

Truck stop sign

ATF keg

Misc cans... I used to collect tin beer signs, some had nice graphics and they were a lot cheaper

Map rack

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 10:59 PM
National had Sinclair addglass in some of it's A-38 pumps. They made HC and Power X versions, possibly others. The chalk board on the wall was used at grandpas old bulk plant to leave messages for people in the days before two way radios and cell phones

The can in the center is made out of a treated cardboard, probably made during WWII. One would think there would also be a Pennsylvania version of it out there too

Macaroni checking out the shine

Grease cans

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 11:05 PM
More cans

License plate topper, beware of fakes on ebay

Here is a picture of the one sign that I posted earlier that had the blank spot at the top that never had porcelain on it. I had a sign painter put dads name on it

And how most of them are finished

These two do not show up very often, single sided tin

The small size. Around 12 inches. Again, beware of fakes. They also made 16, 24 and 30 inch ones of these

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 11:06 PM

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 11:10 PM
Side by side

Product bag

Green letters

Red

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 11:13 PM
Version one of the Power X globe

And the other two

The Dino globe. I remember seeing these in use when I was a little kid

The newer version of the HC. There are two different versions, one has block letters for the word Sinclair, one has italics

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 11:16 PM
Sinclair Dino bank, most were the green plastic ones

An italics lettered Diesel globe. There was also a block lettered version and some were darker green, glass and CAPCO

As seen at a show

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 11:17 PM

Dads display building

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 11:19 PM
Some oldies but goodies

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 09 2013 11:21 PM
At Iowa Gas one year

Mr Sinclair, Jackie Knott

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 06:06 PM

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 06:08 PM
There are actually at least three different Pennant globes, one the flag touches the pole and there are two different ones where the flag does not touch. One has the flag further away from the pole in the center part

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 06:10 PM

Dad did this up several years ago. I know he took it to the Columbus show at least once

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 06:13 PM

Somebody was asking about the style of spears that were used on Sinclair sign poles. The one in the picture should be the correct one

Sinclair had a lot of car care products

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 06:22 PM
Sinclair was bought out by ARCO in a lot of areas east of the Mississippi in around 1969 or so. A delivery truck driver dropped off some plastic signs at dads bulk plant once that were sort of like the below sign without the heating oil part. They were blue, said Sinclair on them where the below sign has ARCO and had the red design on the right as shown below. The truck driver then picked them up the next trip and took them back. Does anyone have a picture of a sign like I am talking about?

Bringing home porcelain from a show

From a show. The sphere globes do not show up very often

This chrome pump followed me home from Iowa Gas one year. I remember these being used back in the day

Another "pump plate" from the newer chrome pumps. There are several different ones

The south end of a north bound delivery truck

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 06:27 PM

A pair of curb signs. The Opaline sing can be found with 4 mounting holes for the ring type base as shown with the HC sign or two mounting holes only at the base for the trough type base. I think the 2 hole version is the later of the two

A can cart...

Needs two of these and a buch of cans to complete it

I hung the truck section on the wall..

Put on a pair of signs...

And use it to store 5 gallon buckets

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 06:32 PM
One sign on the can cart, another one goes on the other end. Also shown is an original rest room sign stand.

Opaline rocker can

Standing dino rocker. Sinclair used decals on some of its rocker cans

Pocket mirror

A nice straight Wayne 70 I picked up at a show. Already under primer. I had it painted red and white and put a Sinclair globe on it

As seen at a show

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 06:36 PM
Some Sinclair banners

From an old pump?

The 70 getting put back together

Plastic and metal banks. I gave away a few of the plastic ones, may get someone else into the hobby

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 06:41 PM

Painted with a globe on it. I am trying to find some add glass for it other than Power X or HC. Does anyone have original stuff for a 70 or repo it?

Flag not touching

This Gasoline sign one was at Peotone once. John had it if I recall, then Butch got it then i ended up with it at Columbus one year

A couple fellow Sinclair collectors on the right. It's good to know people that collect the same stuff as you do

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 06:43 PM

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 06:49 PM
One that got away. Not enough cash on hand at Iowa

Bought this at Iowa as it was being unloaded. I know it is foreign, not sure if it is real or not.

From Grandpas bulk plant

A 48 inch oils. Never saw another one. The 48 inch gasolines do show up.

At least three different Ethyls similar this

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 06:55 PM
Some people put tape on the lenses to keep them from moving when transporting globes

Curb sign base. I have seen several Sinclair oils bases, do not recall seeing a Sinclair gasoline base

The mens sign is not Sinclair, think it is Associated

Parco was another company that Sinclair bought out. There was a big refinery in Parco Wyoming and the town was renamed to Sinclair when they were bought out. I was at the refinery once in about 2005 when dad, my brother and his son and I were on a road trip to Salt Lake City to pick up a pair of tripple check signs

A ladies rest room sign, I have two, would trade one for a mens sign

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 06:58 PM
15 inch HC on metal.

Making a new globe shelf

Wire it up

Hang it on the wall. (Make sure you do not drill into the wiring behind the pine boards when you go to put up the brackets or you will get sparks and an outlet that no longer works, so I am told...)

Put them up and light em up!

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 07:04 PM
A liter can from Germany. I saw a matching sign once on ebay with this logo.

Sinclair had a lot of different things in it's day and a lot of nice stuff can be found. Almost every show has cans, signs and globes for sale. You just need to step up to the plate on the better stuff

My gasoline sign on display the day I bought it from Butch. Butch is a good guy to have in the hobby

Glass panels for an oil can rack

Pairs are nice

NOS in the box

Plastic with sticky tape on the back. Probably used ona station window.

Made a frame for it and lit it up

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 07:12 PM

30 inch touched up Opaline

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 07:14 PM

A 42 inch

These were made in 6 inch and 12 inchers (Cathy says hi)

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 07:17 PM

Repo or fantasy? The glose CD mentions it so that would make it a repo. Marked at the top..

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 07:20 PM

Sinclair street sign from Columbus Ohio. I was told there was a big Sinclair bulk plant on that street

One of my latest Sinclair buys

Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 08:06 PM
Here are some old pictures of some Sinclair stations from early on....

Attached picture garage.jpg
Attached picture Sinclair 1920s.jpg
Attached picture Sinclair Gas Station 1.jpg

Description: Notice the globes on the top corners of the building
Attached picture Sinclair Gas Station 4.jpg

Description: Very early station with the Porcelain price sign on front of store
Attached picture station 1.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 08:10 PM
Some more..

Description: Store from Durham, NC in 1947
Attached picture Durham NC 1947.jpg
Attached picture visible pump.jpg
Attached picture Station philadelphia.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 08:20 PM
More oldies

Description: Check out the double lubester cart sitting in the center island. You can still see the square opaline sign mounted on it that appears to be painted over
Attached picture Sinclair store lubester.jpg

Description: Very early photo
Attached picture station3.jpg

Description: Sinclair Circus parade on State Street, Ann Arbor 1939
Attached picture Sinclair Circus parade on State Street, Ann Arbor 1939.jpg

Description: Sinclair Race Team gas truck, was used in parades... notice the brass hand rails around the tank
Attached picture Sinclair Race team gas truck.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 08:27 PM
Productos Sinclair station in Mexico...

Attached picture mexico2.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 10 2013 09:00 PM
The first photo an old station the others are replica stations rebuilt by people who love to live the past.

Attached picture station2.jpg

Description: 25 miles west of Springfield, MO on Historic Route 66. (3 miles west of Halltown on Old 66) Gary's Gay Parita. Loves for tourist to visit. Has a website garysgayparita.com
Attached picture Gary turner.jpg

Description: Another pic of Gary Turner's replica station lit up with neon
Attached picture Gary turner2.jpg

Description: Here is a replica station built by a man who lives close by me, I have always liked this style station myself.
Attached picture farmers sinclair.jpg
Posted By: s932 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Mar 12 2013 01:36 AM
Next time I'm in the Springfield area I will have to stop that is awesome
Posted By: PLUM_72 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Mar 12 2013 11:24 PM
Heck of a collection Wes! Can you show more of your 60's Dino era can and collectable items. That will give me a goal to shoot for. I love that stuff!
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 13 2013 12:16 AM
Here is some old literature and a price book

Attached picture pamphlet.jpg
Attached picture price book2.jpg
Attached picture price book1.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 13 2013 12:25 AM
Here is some old gas receipts I have and a Sinclair file box..

Attached picture Sinclair file box.jpg

Description: June 30, 1919
Attached picture Gas receipt 2.jpg

Description: May 23, 1919
Attached picture Gas receipt 3.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 13 2013 12:59 AM
Couple more things from my collection...

Description: Old gas station calendar
Attached picture 1937 calendar.jpg

Description: Dino coin banks
Attached picture banks.jpg

Description: Toy Marx Sinclair fuel oil tractor trailer truck
Attached picture truck2.jpg
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 13 2013 03:25 PM
I have lived 25 miles from Halltown,MO for 58 years and never knew that Gary Turner had that station there....I go right by on I-44 at least 3-4 times a month and never even think about the old road through town. That's what the interstate highway system has done to us....I need to get out more.
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Mar 15 2013 01:39 AM
Couple more things sitting around..

Attached picture Can&crate.jpg

Description: First Aid Kit
Attached picture First aid kit 2.jpg
Attached picture First aid kit 1.jpg
Attached picture lubster.jpg
Attached picture Sinclair sample oil.jpg
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 16 2013 10:25 PM
Here's a very few items that have not already been posted. The green-white Power X bank is kinda rare. I have at one time had another of these and I have seen maybe one or two more. Either Sinclair or an individual dealer had decals made to go over the HC which can be seen through the decal if you look closely.

The dinosaurs are from 1964-1965 if I remember correctly. They are just figures made out of plastic, not banks as the green dino's usually are.

The man bank is probably just a fantasy piece. I had to have it because it has my name on it.

The Sinclair Refinery Co. sign is wooden with green background and gold leaf letters. If you look on page eleven of this thread, the ninth picture from the bottom shows a station from the 1920's-1930's that has this sign hanging on the front of the building just above the door. Sundropman posted the picture on March 10. Hope you all enjoy.....Dale

Attached picture Sinclair, Kendall can rack 013.jpg
Attached picture Sinclair, Kendall can rack 010.jpg
Attached picture Sinclair, Kendall can rack 011.jpg
Attached picture Sinclair, Kendall can rack 012.jpg
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 16 2013 10:36 PM
Here's a picture of my Power-X 541 Bennett, also....Dale

Attached picture Sinclair, Kendall can rack 001.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Mar 18 2013 01:12 AM
These pumps looks awesome, wonder if any survived...

Attached picture worlds fair pump.jpg

Description: 1964 Super Service Station, Check out those Rocket looking pumps
Attached picture Rocket pumps.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 20 2013 12:24 AM
Here are a few more things I have in the garage. I am getting ready to restore the lubester in a few weeks, I'll post some pictures when finished.

Description: 2 cardboard signs that would have hung outside at the pump islands
Attached picture Cardboard 3.jpg

Description: Sinclair Lubester with embossed lids that I started sandblasting on for restoration
Attached picture lubester.jpg

Description: Lubester sign, one on both sides of lubester
Attached picture lubester sign2.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 20 2013 12:38 AM
This is probably my favorite piece out of my collection.This Sinclair charger that still works. I water sanded the porcelain sign with 2000 grit sand paper and it took the blue over spray off and cleaned up well leaving only a small chipped spot. I had a friend of mine restore it and also without me knowing he was going to do it, cut a piece of plexiglass and heated it until he formed it like the original cracked piece and it came out perfect.

Attached picture Charger1.jpg
Attached picture Charger2.jpg

Description: Plexiglass has to be made because the old one was cracked
Attached picture gauges.jpg

Description: Sinclair font on side of charger was hand painted
Attached picture Sinclair Charger.jpg
Posted By: It's for sale Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 20 2013 02:29 PM
What a great charger--1950's?
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 21 2013 12:28 AM
Thank you, charger dates back to early 1930s
Posted By: JGD Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 21 2013 12:55 AM
Near mint:

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Mar 23 2013 07:57 PM
Thanks everyone who has contributed to Sinclair COTM. If anyone else has something please share it with us. I have just a few pictures left to share....

Description: Sinclair Swihart spinner clock
Attached picture Spinner clock fixed.jpg

Description: Most recent purchase Sinclair oil can, 2 dino soap bars, and a key chain.
Attached picture Soap and oil can.jpg

Description: Old cloth Sinclair pennant that would of hung to attract attention
Attached picture Sinclair Pennant.jpg
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 24 2013 02:23 PM
The collection

Attached picture All.jpg
Attached picture ALL.jpg
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 24 2013 02:34 PM
I picked up these early cloth pennants at Hershey this year. Had not seen them before.
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 24 2013 03:30 PM
Here is a friend of mines shop that lives a little west of me. He called this morning and was going to bring me two visibles that I am going to redo for him in Sinclair so he can put them on the right near the tree ,he said they were not coming due to the weather so I asked him to e mail me photos and told him I wanted to share with the old gas crew ,I hope I got the right pictures , still learning to find correct pics and cant figure out the pic preview yet , I think he did a wonderful job hope you enjoy.

Attached picture photo.JPG
Attached picture photo (3).JPG
Posted By: moore798 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 24 2013 04:10 PM
Very Handsome--Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 24 2013 04:31 PM
Your welcome.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 24 2013 07:18 PM
Great photos from everyone!!! Tyler, you are doing an excellent job on this thread!!

Personally, I especially like the different stations that enthusiasts have "put together"!...
Posted By: Sundropman05 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Mar 25 2013 01:41 AM
Dennis those pennants are awesome, I like how each one of them is different..... Travis your friend has a super nice Sinclair man cave, that is very similar to what I want one day behind my house.... Thanks Bob for the compliments, means a lot.

Attached picture Thanks ad.jpg
Posted By: s932 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed Mar 27 2013 10:25 AM
I know it keeps being said but thank you to all the members for making this thread great again. Also thank you to our guest host for the last three months they have a done a wonderful job. If any one else would like to host for a month let me know and we will make it happen. A new COTM starts on Monday so if there is any Sinclair items left post them.
Posted By: s932 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 31 2013 09:28 PM
NoChevys will be the guest host for the month of April should be another great month
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Nov 14 2013 02:42 PM
I would like to see the Company of the months updated over time so collectors can have a one stop place to get info. I know Sinclair was done once before but looking at that thread a lot of the pictures no longer show up. I had a few more things to add since I last posted here.
Opening up dads box of signs. The newspaper between them was dated June of 1941 if I recall from Chicago

Couple more cans

Posted By: Oldgas Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Nov 14 2013 03:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
I would like to see the Company of the months updated over time so collectors can have a one stop place to get info. I know Sinclair was done once before but looking at that thread a lot of the pictures no longer show up. I had a few more things to add since I last posted here.

In the COTM features years ago, many pictures were hosted on sites like Photobucket where the pictures are dropped after a while. Now we have our internal File Manager Attachment system for images. There are no plans to ever delete images from our hosting unless there are not compliant with the forum Guidelines.
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Nov 14 2013 04:56 PM
Sounds good Jim. Not trying to cause you more work but....
It would be nice if there was a seperate category for all of the Company of the months so they would be easier to find instated of searching through the Showcases and stories to find them. Just an idea
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Jan 26 2014 10:26 PM
Couple more pictures, sorry if some are duplicates;

The Four Brothers company was bought out by Sinclair. This can is before the buy out I think

And this one is duel branded and would be after the buy out

Sinclair also bought out the Cudahy Refining Company out of Kansas City. They kept the Opaline brand name. I know where a matching half gallon can is, there might also be a gallon can and others?

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Jan 26 2014 10:30 PM
In the 1960s the Pan Am sulfur Company (PASCO) had part ownership in Sinclair.

And a sign like this was posted in the COTM before but this one is in a lot better condition so here it is again. Double sided porcelain with two different logos on it. Probably about the 1930s time frame?

Posted By: Greasyboy1970 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Jan 27 2014 11:25 PM
Just an ashtray here, great stuff everyone!

Attached picture ash1.jpg
Posted By: Blair Underwood Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 06 2014 01:59 PM
My little Station/Museum. Gradually getting there. About through with the inside, then start loading up with all the stuff in storage.
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 06 2014 02:14 PM
Love that station...Great job Blair, Awesome !!
Posted By: strnge Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 16 2014 03:18 AM

Posted By: strnge Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 16 2014 03:21 AM

Posted By: oldiesbutgoodies Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 16 2014 08:01 AM
Sinclair Ad Glass

Attached picture 100_3447.JPG
Posted By: richlube Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 16 2014 09:05 PM
heres a porcelain double side 22 inch sign made in usa

Attached picture sin.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Feb 27 2015 01:50 AM
I would like to keep this topic going as a one stop place to get info on this company. I have a few more pictures I can add. Sorry for any repeats.
A couple pictures of mirrors Sinclair used. I think the metal item from the same business as the one mirror was used to hang up a broom or something.

Attached picture IMG_20150224_181546736.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150224_181618809.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150224_181644550.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150224_181717055.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Feb 27 2015 01:58 AM
Here is a can from the Cudahy Refining Company that matches the sign several post back. Half gallon, does anyone have a gallon? Cudahy had the Opaline name that Sinclair kept when they bought out Cudahy.
Also a standing dinosaur five gallon bucket.

Attached picture IMG_20150226_213159770.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150224_220137036 (1).jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Feb 27 2015 02:06 AM
A couple more signs. The New Oil sign would have been used on the side on an A-Frame oil can rack. The tin tackers are probably from the 1920-1930 time frame and the "chalk board" type sign is probably foreign, 1960's.

Attached picture IMG_20150226_213418732.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150226_213245519.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150226_213432623.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Feb 27 2015 02:16 AM
This shovel has a plate on it about the ground breaking ceremony at the Sinclair research center in Tulsa Oklahoma. It has the mayors name down as James Maxwell if I recall. If you are a Sinclair collector named Maxwell this would be a must have item almost.
Also some tin give away type ashtrays from Sinclair dealers.

Attached picture IMG_20150226_213332976.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150226_213348481.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150226_213221965.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Feb 27 2015 02:25 AM
Some more cans, similar product, different size containers. Also an Extra Duty can rack. The one picture is of a spin on oil filter for a car.

Attached picture IMG_20150226_213628597.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150226_213756776.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150226_213809068.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150226_213518757.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Feb 27 2015 08:57 PM
A few more cans. Most of the earlier pictures were big group shots.
Sinclair had PD bug spray, so named because it did Police Duty protecting you from bugs. Some had different concentrations of DDT.

Attached picture IMG_20150227_163101504.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150227_163117520.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150227_163143678.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Feb 27 2015 09:03 PM
Few more bug spray cans;

Attached picture IMG_20150227_163208086.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150227_163559769.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150227_163237632.jpg
Posted By: Bugman Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Feb 27 2015 09:07 PM
Very nice bug spray cans and sprayers. Those insectiside tins are my weakness.
Mike
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 02:26 AM
A few more bug/ stock spray cans.

Attached picture IMG_20150228_123705740.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150228_123444221_HDR.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150228_132735987.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 02:35 AM
Sinclair gave out a lot of pinbacks and badges.

Attached picture IMG_20150228_123523869_HDR.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150228_123514875_HDR.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 02:38 AM
A couple salesman sample kits.

Attached picture IMG_20150228_123535176_HDR.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150228_123551870.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 02:45 AM
A few map racks.

Attached picture IMG_20150228_123633296_HDR (2).jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150228_221218757.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150228_221250367.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150228_221314294.jpg
Posted By: GASandOIL Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 11:45 AM
Nice!
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 07:46 PM
Pictures of a box marked Pierce Pennant with the Sinclair rooster logo. Sinclair bought out Pierce Pennant. This is probably a box to ship gallon oil cans. Anyone ever see a Sinclair can with the rooster logo on it?

Attached picture IMG_20150228_220711905.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150228_220657018.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150228_220730378.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 07:56 PM
Couple globes, the block lettered and italics versions of the HC and the Marine globes.

Attached picture IMG_20150301_134718403.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150301_134739118_HDR.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 07:57 PM
Some thermometers. Most were probably give always.

Attached picture IMG_20150301_151933378.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150301_151939398_HDR.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150301_151951512.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 08:08 PM
Couple more thermometers. The one is for a tobacco barn. It is from Goldsboro North Carolina where I was stationed 10 years in the Air Force at Seymour Johnson AFB.

Attached picture IMG_20150301_152013341_HDR (1).jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150301_152006676_HDR (1).jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 08:14 PM
The bronze colored dinosaurs on the wood and marble blocks were given out for Capacity Day high sales and other achievement. The ones without the bases were banks like the green plastic ones. There were several different toy trucks marked as Sinclair. The one is marked with the Molo oil company as a couple of the thermometers were.

Attached picture IMG_20150301_152040188.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150301_152112920_HDR.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150301_152028810_HDR.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 08:35 PM
Some anti freeze and Emerald Oil cans.

Attached picture IMG_20150301_152225940.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150301_152513525_HDR.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150301_152322854.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 08:39 PM
Some aircraft/ turbo cans and marine products.

Attached picture IMG_20150301_152708796_HDR.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150301_153125875.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 08:47 PM
Some grease cans.

Attached picture IMG_20150301_152803410.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150301_152819677.jpg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 09:42 PM
Here are 7 different Sinclair salt & pepper shaker sets.
3 of the sets have red tops, 4 sets have white tops.

Attached picture Sinclair 5.jpg
Attached picture Sinclair 2.jpg
Posted By: Rsljr1 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 01 2015 10:01 PM
Heres mine

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Jwsloop19 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Mar 02 2015 12:05 AM
The Sinclair parts of my collection! The opaline is a little beat I know, but hey we all have one that's a little rough!

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Mar 10 2015 09:13 PM
An Ethyl globe and an uncommon lens,without the black outlined letters. I found this lens at Peotone last weekend.

Attached picture IMG_20150310_143133483.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150310_142910725.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150310_143143272_HDR.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Mar 10 2015 09:22 PM
Both end panels of an oil can rack, some clean quarts and a can I picked up at Peotone. Only ever saw one other. It was for a miniature engine like those used in model airplanes.

Attached picture IMG_20150309_163139769.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150309_163127911.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150309_162839070.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150309_144443127_HDR.jpg
Posted By: Blair Underwood Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 12 2015 04:06 PM
My Grandfather in the dark pants, at his Sinclair Station in Waynesville NC around 1940. The woman walking in one is my Grandmother
Posted By: Blair Underwood Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 12 2015 04:08 PM
Unusual light up sign on my station. Came from Jackie!
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 12 2015 05:49 PM
I wondered who got that one.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Mar 12 2015 08:14 PM
Wes looking back through your post you ask about the wood shiping box, had anyone seen the gallon can. You could very well be looking for a can that only reads Pierce oil co.S.A.. I have found some items mostly paper that proves they retained the Pierce Oil CO. S.A. in Mexico. Used along with the Rooster logo.How long? Still working on that. Check out this completed ebay listing 261796905164- 1930 sinclair map of Mexico. Hey maybe you won it!
Hope this helps.
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sun Mar 15 2015 11:14 PM
Thanks for the info. I saw a picture of the map before but didn't get this one. The mystery of Sinclair Rooster cans continues. Couple more odds and ends. The bear is sort of like a chalk statue, it says "Bear in mind, Sinclair oils". Not sure of its exact use, maybe a match holder? It is shown on page 17 of the Sinclair collectibles book. Seldom seen Sinclair spark plug and a two liter can I picked up this weekend at the 2015 Mason Dixon show.

Attached picture IMG_20150311_154338078_HDR.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150311_154257027.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150315_193248796.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Aug 31 2015 09:15 PM
Couple more pictures to add to this thread. The grease gun rack with the porcelain Indexed Lubrication sign has been posted before. The other two signs I recently bought. The one with the rounded top I got from Tom V at Iowa Gas. The rectangle one showed up here in Ohio.

Attached picture IMG_20150831_180346968.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150831_174726558_HDR.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150831_174718722.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Aug 31 2015 09:21 PM
Couple more items. The two signs were the ends of an A frame oil can rack, probably mid 1960s. The barrel end was cut from a 50 or 55 gallon drum and repainted. Fuel filter still in the box, from Deryl Chews collection.

Attached picture IMG_20150831_174610198.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150831_174700961_HDR.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150831_174751133.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Aug 31 2015 09:27 PM
Last few for today. When I was looking back through the pictures I posted a couple years ago, I noticed my garage still had drywall up. I put up the pine siding this spring some time. A lot easier to hang up stuff.

Attached picture IMG_20150831_174809571.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150831_174900323.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150831_175035729.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Aug 31 2015 09:47 PM
... cool

Attached picture sinnmepin.JPG
Posted By: Done4 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Sep 01 2015 06:30 PM
I think it is cool that there are more things added as time goes on. So here are a couple of mine.

I have these pieces in my collection, the box with the little flags I have no idea as to what purpose it had. It's dated Jan 13th 1938.

It also appears that Sinclair marked the globes as what lens were intended to be placed on them?

Attached picture box.jpg
Attached picture date.jpg
Attached picture inside box.jpg
Attached picture globe.jpg
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Sep 01 2015 08:57 PM
Wes you have an amazing collection and it's always fun to see what you have added to it!
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Nov 02 2015 07:19 PM
A couple items from the first Morphy's Auction featuring items from the Kyle Moore collection. The pictures show both the 48 and 24 inch versions of the red aircraft signs.
(I should add I was not able to buy these items)

Attached picture sized1.jpg
Attached picture sized.jpg
Attached picture Sized48.jpg
Attached picture Sized 24.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Nov 02 2015 07:31 PM
Grandpa Miller had the local Sinclair bulk plant back in the day along with his business partner Clyde Miller. When they retired, my dad and another guy bought them out and took over. I posted some pictures earlier, here are a few more I copied from slides last week.
First ones are from a flood that happened over the 4th of July, 1969

You can see the top part of a Dino globe sticking up from the water, it was attached to a Bennett 700 series pump I think.

Attached picture PICT0924.JPG
Attached picture PICT0925.JPG
Attached picture PICT0926.JPG
Attached picture PICT0927.JPG
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Nov 02 2015 07:38 PM
Couple more, I am second from the left in the flood picture. My grandpa is on the right in the picture with the sign. Dad was driving the truck that rolled over.

Attached picture PICT0928.JPG
Attached picture PICT0948.JPG
Attached picture PICT0950.JPG
Attached picture PICT0977.JPG
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Nov 02 2015 07:40 PM
New truck time. They bought a straight truck locally, fastened on a 50 gallon drum of gasoline and drove to Arthur Illinois for the tank truck body.

Attached picture PICT0961.JPG
Attached picture PICT0962.JPG
Attached picture PICT0963.JPG
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Nov 02 2015 07:46 PM
This was around the time that ARCO bought out Sinclair in Ohio. They had to rebrand their trucks.

Attached picture PICT0953.JPG
Attached picture PICT0964.JPG
Attached picture PICT0965.JPG
Attached picture PICT0952.JPG
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Nov 02 2015 07:51 PM
Couple more truck pictures, some of the switching valves on the big bulk tanks and Grandpa on the loading dock by the pump house, filling up his delivery truck.

Attached picture PICT0976.JPG
Attached picture PICT0978.JPG
Attached picture PICT0980.JPG
Attached picture PICT0981.JPG
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Nov 02 2015 07:55 PM
Dad, his business partner, Grandpa on the left and Halloween Hijinks..

Attached picture PICT0983.JPG
Attached picture PICT0982.JPG
Attached picture PICT0984.JPG
Attached picture PICT0987.JPG
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Nov 02 2015 08:02 PM
An old Bennett pump, more high water and the transition from a Sinclair Bulk plant to ARCO.

Attached picture PICT0988.JPG
Attached picture PICT0989.JPG
Attached picture PICT0989_001.JPG
Attached picture PICT0990.JPG
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Nov 02 2015 08:06 PM
Few more truck pictures

Attached picture PICT0958.JPG
Attached picture PICT0991.JPG
Attached picture PICT0992.JPG
Attached picture PICT0993.JPG
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Nov 02 2015 08:11 PM
The neighboring town had their 150th Birthday celebration in 1966. Good time for a parade. Dad is driving the old Dodge pulling the Sinclair float. Dino has an Esso Tiger in his mouth.

Attached picture PICT1001.JPG
Attached picture PICT1002.JPG
Attached picture PICT1003.JPG
Attached picture PICT1004.JPG
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Nov 02 2015 09:12 PM
Neat pictures Wes !
Posted By: keithia Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Nov 03 2015 02:29 AM
Awesome! Love the pictures and wish I had the globes.
Posted By: scottpcm Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Nov 03 2015 01:12 PM
Wes great photos thanks for the story! Scott B.
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Nov 06 2015 07:16 PM
I got a couple cans in the mail today. I never knew a metal Sinclair DTR can existed until I saw a guy on Facebook in Italy had some for sale. I already had the black composit one and the red one so the metal one enhances the collection. Makes me wonder if there is a metal red one out there also? Also never saw the High Quality can in person before. It and the metal DTR say Sinclair on the front and ARCO/ Atlantic Richfield on the back.

Attached picture IMG_20151106_145930514.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20151106_150043448.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20151106_150146999.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Dec 03 2015 11:05 PM
Couple more pictures tonight. Most people are familiar with the cans shown on the can rack sign. From the 1960's, cardboard cans. Not an expensive can, probably more collectable to a Sinclair collector than a quart can collector. I got the three center cans in the second picture today. They are metal and instead of being a full quart, they are instead 1/8 gallon size. Never saw them before. Plus the can on the far right is plastic. I have seen a similar Texaco before if I recall. You never know what will turn up next.

Attached picture IMG_20151203_184804664.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20151203_184847099.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu Dec 03 2015 11:16 PM
The first two pictures are of a can that was on eBay a few years ago. I took it at the time as a salesman's sample? It brought good money I thought, I didn't get it. Never saw another one like it for sale.
The can I posted a picture of before. The sign below it was also on eBay a few years ago. I wish I would have bid more on it. Also never saw another one.

Attached picture eb_12_b.jpg
Attached picture ef_12_b.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20151203_191124544.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1760b.jpg
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Dec 04 2015 04:17 AM
Neat sign. Totally Flintstone.
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Feb 06 2016 05:01 PM
Couple more pictures to keep the thread alive.

The High Compression sign showed up a few months ago in Texas if I recall. Never saw it in person but it looks right to me. It was later shown in PCM magazine. Experimental design? There is also a matching globe out there if I recall.

The three one piece globes are from Scott B's web site. The smaller size ones are not very common.

The Rest room curb sign is coming up for auction soon. I got the picture from eBay. I saw the sign before, never saw them displayed this way before. Could be original?

Attached picture SinclairHigh1.jpg
Attached picture sinclairoilstrio.jpg
Attached picture ss-l1600.jpg
Attached picture sss-l1600.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Sat Feb 06 2016 05:05 PM
These two are from Bob Drake. The Triple Check collection. The 6 foot round signs are the most common from what I have seen. The 4 foot rounds also show up sometimes. I never saw the third sign in person. I have seen several pictures of them from back in the day. Experimental signs used in 5 cities as a test design between the HC logo and the trapezoid Dino sign they changed to.

The porcelain panels are also different as they have the letters in the panels, instead of hanging a sign on the building.
(Nice display Bob)

Attached picture DSC09989_20_2_.JPG
Attached picture stationpanels.JPG
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Feb 08 2016 03:49 AM
I also have station panels that have "washing" and "lubrication" on them. They're all from the same Sinclair station. If anyone knows the era they were put into use I'd like to know.

I agree the 6' triple check is the more common of the three versions. I've upgraded the 6' since that picture was taken. (Thanks Wes and Mark).
As far as I know that's the only trapezoid triple check sign. I'd be interested in upgrading if a better one turns up.
Like Wes said, the triple check logo was experimental. It was used in a few markets from 1956 through '59. I've seen a picture of a Sinclair station with triple check signage in use as late as 1961.

There are two versions of triple check globes as well. They're even tougher to find than the triple check signs.

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Feb 22 2016 09:52 PM
Couple things that showed up at the Missouri show this past weekend. The decal was on a salesman's sample kit.
The pricer curb sign is one I never saw before. Power-X and HC, would be from the 1950s I would think. It also came with a box of red numbers to show the price per gallon.

Attached picture IMG_20160222_11786.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20160222_25249.jpg
Posted By: keithia Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Feb 23 2016 01:24 AM
Nice Wes!
Posted By: Blair Underwood Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue Feb 23 2016 12:17 PM
A few thing for Company of the month
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed May 04 2016 09:03 PM
Few more from the last Morphys Auction. Some are duplicates.

Attached picture 63326711.jpg
Attached picture 63328662.jpg
Attached picture 63332272.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed May 04 2016 09:05 PM
A few more 24 inchers. The HC Gasoline matches the one globe they sold a couple auctions back.

Attached picture 63331471.jpg
Attached picture 63328093.jpg
Attached picture 63331476.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed May 18 2016 07:52 PM
Couple more things I picked up this week. The cone top Opaline can is a 1/2 liter all aluminum can. The two cans center and left in the group of three are two liters, the one on the right is a two gallon. The Sinclair 100 year globe was made for the company to help advertise Sinclairs 100th birthday which was 1 May 2016.

Attached picture IMG_20160518_50746.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20160518_59903.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20160518_54569.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue May 14 2019 04:43 PM
Haven't posted anything in this thread lately. This came up on Facebook the other day, two different Dino globes. Minor difference for sure but goes to show how many different types of globes Sinclair used. One has the circled R, the other one doesn't. I think the plain one is the most common.

Attached picture 20190510_175226.jpg
Attached picture 20190510_175206.jpg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Tue May 14 2019 06:24 PM
Here's a Sinclair coin bank.

Attached picture Sinclair Bank.jpg
Posted By: RedHat Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu May 16 2019 10:31 AM
Some Italian items to keep it going

Attached picture 317FEB9E-E0E7-491B-8388-FA6FC78AE0A8.jpeg
Attached picture 6FD7FC1F-A6E3-4311-9C5B-4C28F46B9706.jpeg
Attached picture C6C24390-ECC1-491D-8C3B-A06EE1CA96DB.jpeg
Attached picture 3040C631-AD92-4609-9831-EDFFF2DD4752.jpeg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Wed May 22 2019 02:01 PM
Finally got my bar logo Hc gasoline sign in a ring and on display. It was hanging on the wall, I like it better displayed like this.

Attached picture 20190518_163709.jpg
Posted By: pumpdoc Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Thu May 23 2019 12:32 PM
This is one I have.

Attached picture IMG_0584.JPG
Posted By: RustyGold57 Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Aug 10 2020 04:11 AM
Amazing thread here is my best sinclair find.

Attached picture IMG_20200801_195037_683.jpg
Posted By: Douglashwy Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Mon Aug 10 2020 11:31 PM
Don't have much Sinclair this is what I have

Attached picture IMG_20200719_172100.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20200718_163715.jpg
Posted By: Jakesnowdog Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Feb 26 2021 06:35 PM
I just joined this site today - very impressed with this thread. Outstanding stuff !!!

I basically collect Sinclair "smalls" and Sinclair ephemera from the 1960's. I'm relatively new to collecting petroliana - starting in 2015.

Here are some pics of my Sinclair "smalls" collection.

Attached picture 01 Sinclair Collection A.jpg
Attached picture 02 Sinclair Collection L.jpg
Attached picture 03 Sinclair Collection M.jpg
Attached picture 04 Sinclair Collection R.jpg
Posted By: Jakesnowdog Re: Company of the month "Sinclair" - Fri Feb 26 2021 08:52 PM
I also have a Sinclair ephemera collection from the 1960's - which includes some dealer items: "Free Dino Soap" dealer poster, "Trip n Travel /Prize-o-Rama" dealer poster, '59-'66 Annual Reports, Mini Bag of Dinos promo sheet, and a consumer Dinosaur Stamp album/booklets '59.

I also collect all ephemera related to the 1964-65 New York World's fair Sinclair Dinoland exhibit: all 13 official Postcards, "Thanks for Visiting Dinoland - Free Gallon" coupons, "Exiting World of Dinosaurs" Brochures ('64-65, '66, '67), "I Visited Dinoland" stickers, "Dino News" (published by Sinclair) cross section of press coverage for 1963-64, Magazine Articles and Ads about/advertising Dinoland, Jay DeBow Press Packet with 8x10 glossy's covering Dinosaur Barge ride down Hudson River to the World's Fair, "Dinoland Model Unveiling" brochure, and an early version brochure called "Dinosaur Watchers Guide", plus hundreds of images of the Dinoland dinosaurs from when they were first created at Louis Paul Jonas Studios - down the Hudson River - in Dinoland during construction before the World's Fair was opened - and many color images of them at the fair while open - as well as many images of the "Dinoland on Tour" exhibits at malls and parking lots across the country in 1966 and 1967.

I know my Sinclair smalls and ephemera collection is tiny in comparison to the collections that many of you have posted pics of here, but at this point in time I don't have the necessary funds or space required to get the big signs and cans that I envy all of you guys for having. I'm glad this site exists so I can at least see them all. Thanks for posting !!

Attached picture 07 Sinclair Paper Bin.jpg
Attached picture 08 Sinclair Paper Bin.jpg
Attached picture 09 Sinclair Paper Bin.jpg
Attached picture 10 Sinclair Paper Bin.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk