Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Ohio Oil A few hard to find Marathon quarts - Sat Mar 01 2014 01:08 PM
Just picked up the can on the right. The Marathon Penn quarts are hard to come by.

Posted By: Steven C. Re: A few hard to find Marathon quarts - Sat Mar 01 2014 01:52 PM
Those are all very cool!
I have 3 oil cna books and none of them have these cans in them. Kind of a bummer not being able to find out any info.
Posted By: Gargoyle Re: A few hard to find Marathon quarts - Sat Mar 01 2014 02:20 PM
Nice finds......I was able to score one of the two Marathon Penn Motor Oil signs at the auction yesterday. smile
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: A few hard to find Marathon quarts - Sat Mar 01 2014 02:27 PM
I had some questions on one of those signs.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: A few hard to find Marathon quarts - Sat Mar 01 2014 02:41 PM
I like the all blue version, thanks for sharing.
Darin
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: A few hard to find Marathon quarts - Sat Mar 01 2014 02:47 PM

Nice cans
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil

What was the questions? I am curious as I had bad feelings on them...
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: A few hard to find Marathon quarts - Sat Mar 01 2014 03:18 PM
Originally Posted By: mcguffeyd1

Nice cans
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil

What was the questions? I am curious as I had bad feelings on them...

I think the hobby presents some challenges when determining authenticity.

For the experienced collector that primarily collects one brand, is the mindset that you've seen every sign or can they produced. New stuff is being uncovered frequently so you have to keep an open mind, nobody has seen it all. You've got to determine the time period it came from and then compare it to other items from the same period. Matching that up caused me some questions.

Secondly, sometimes you see items that might have been made and used by a distributor/jobber but not used by the oil company itself. Technically it is historically accurate in that it was used somewhere by someone in the sale of gasoline products, but never really considered the same as oil company approved. That was my primary question.

That's the down side of relying only on a pic. It's best to be able to handle it and ask questions. I'm probably more cautious than most.
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: A few hard to find Marathon quarts - Sat Mar 01 2014 03:25 PM
Nice reply to that question. I didn't bid for a reason of doubt. Seen one before that a person near me got and I told him my opinion and well I can say he don't have it anymore cause he collects originals. My 2 pennies
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk