Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Done4 Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jun 30 2014 02:23 PM
On the weekends I normally don't have my iphone with me but I check it from time to time. I had received two calls and a voice message from my friend Tim. I thought the worst so I called him immediately and did not listen to the voice mail. He collects beer stuff and when he finds gas things he calls me. When I spoke to him he was all excited, breathing heavy saying his neighbor was fixing up an old house they were going to move into and he had been helping him from time to time. He stopped by to check on the progress and the owner was ripping up the old linoleum floor and under it was this sign that was used to cover a hole in the floor. Face up, he just used a pry bar and ripped it off and throwing it in the corner with other pieces. My friend saw it as asked if he could have it and his friend said sure. A small amount of money was given.

Tim brought it over to my place and I couldn't believe it. The original owner of the house had two Standard Oil stations here in Michigan so we assumed he just used the sign to fill the hole. This is a single sided sign and it still has the original cardboard backing on it. Under the linoleum for 80 some years.

I was scared to death to try and remove the the flooring that was left so we talked about possible ways we could remove it without causing more damage. We ultimately used a hair dryer to heat the flooring and scrapped off the top layer. I did not want to use goof-off because it was too aggressive. Tim had tried Lift Off and said it didn't hurt the ink. So we did another test on the corner and it worked. Sorta of, just a thin layer would come off. But it would come off!

As we started a another friend Kevin stopped by who is also into gas and he couldn't believe what we were doing and was blown away on how it survived and was found.

Long story I know, but 3 and half hours later we got it off, high fives all around and now it was no longer under the flooring being walked over and not seeing the light of day. We still have a lot of gentle work to do on it but she is now safe and presenting the wonderful artwork after a very hard life. In my collection I have the double sided version which has some fading from the sun. The colors on this are much brighter and will end up hanging next to it.

I am just amazed and so happy that we could save it. Thanks to Tim the pack rat for saving it and Kevin for spending a Sunday afternoon picking off old linoleum from this wonderful sign.

Les

Attached picture 1_found sign.jpg
Attached picture 2_test.jpg
Attached picture 4_cleaning.jpg
Attached picture 6_done.jpg
Posted By: BryceG Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jun 30 2014 02:40 PM
wonderful job... sign looks great, congrats. i know how nerve racking that can be!
Posted By: nam5072 Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jun 30 2014 02:46 PM
Amazing
Posted By: advertologist Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jun 30 2014 03:16 PM
reincarnated.. cool
Posted By: Highway66 Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jun 30 2014 03:24 PM
That's Literally "pickin" Awesome sign!
Posted By: GILMORE Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jun 30 2014 03:54 PM
Cool!... always enjoy hearing these stories.
Posted By: LSx Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jun 30 2014 04:34 PM
awesome
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jun 30 2014 05:02 PM
Wow, an amazing story and a great find and save!!

Makes me wanna, go and tear out the kitchen floor.
Posted By: Maps for the memories Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jun 30 2014 08:11 PM
Really enjoyed this story!
Posted By: katfsh Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jun 30 2014 09:16 PM
You can tell a true collector by the excitement in the story telling, and he never asked what it was worth, he know's it's priceless!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jun 30 2014 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: advertologist
reincarnated.. cool

NO, Resurrected & Screwed to the wall!
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Tue Jul 01 2014 03:23 AM
Great save!
Posted By: Done4 Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Tue Jul 01 2014 12:34 PM
Thanks guys, I too have a new perspective on old linoleum floors. I am presently gently straightening the edges and then will build a frame to hold the sign. I will post the finished piece.

It's funny, I am very particular about the condition of the signs I collect, but this one has a special place in my heart after the experience of saving it and the back story on it.
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Tue Jul 01 2014 01:23 PM
Awesome story and find Les!!! See you soon!!!
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Tue Jul 01 2014 01:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Done4
It's funny, I am very particular about the condition of the signs I collect, but this one has a special place in my heart after the experience of saving it and the back story on it.

...and then there's the fact that these signs are super graphic and very rare, in whatever condition you find them...
Posted By: Done4 Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Tue Jul 01 2014 02:39 PM
Thanks Tom, yes it's been a while since we have seen each other.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Tue Jul 01 2014 02:40 PM
As found.

Attached picture as found_sm.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re:Polarine painted sign filling a hole now framed - Mon Jul 07 2014 05:06 PM
Well, the frame is almost complete and the only thing left to do is hang it up with her sister. Still can't believe how well it came out!

Attached picture polarine_sm.jpg
Excellent find... Congrats on having the patience to do a great job of removing the linoleum and straightening the sign...

I look forward to seeing an image of your two signs displayed together..
Posted By: Done4 Re:Polarine painted sign filling a hole now framed - Mon Jul 07 2014 05:21 PM
Thanks Bob, it brings a smile to my face every time I look at it. On the straightening she really didn't want to cooperate, I did as much as I could without making me more nervous than I already was, so that is why I over built the frame.
Posted By: Done4 Re:Polarine painted sign filling a hole now framed - Mon Jul 07 2014 07:53 PM
Got my work completed and hung the sign. Just plain happy!

Attached picture hanging.jpg
Attached picture back side.jpg
Posted By: Highway66 Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jul 07 2014 07:59 PM
That tacker sure cleaned up great! You've got a very nice hideout there, great items hanging!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jul 07 2014 09:09 PM
Very nice!!!
Posted By: advertologist Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jul 07 2014 09:13 PM
the 2 look good side by side... cool
Posted By: Blackout Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Mon Jul 07 2014 11:39 PM
Les,looks great need to get down your way again soon, have the beer cold...........
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Tue Jul 08 2014 03:14 AM
It looks great!
Posted By: Done4 Re: Polarine painted sign filling a hole - Tue Jul 08 2014 12:45 PM
Thanks everyone, they're in the frig waiting Russ.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk