Oldgas.com Home
Lately more and more Associated Oil "Air and Water" signs have shown up in the Hobby; and at different venues where Petro items are sold...

Before a year or so ago; such small signs had mostly been seen in photos. Now, it seems they pop up every month.

I notice that "rustyrelicsart", seems to have such signs up for Auction most every month for the last few months; He sold one on March 22 for $113; another on Apr. 20 for $178; another on May 18th for $230 and low and behold he has another up for Auction that started yesterday # 301986476934 ...

Somehow this Seller has either found a "treasure-trove" of signage from the mid 1930s... Or he has found someone to make him a "treasure-trove" of unmarked fakes... I don't know for certain which scenario is true; but based on the amount of "questionable items", (My Opinion) he sells; I know which way "I am leaning...

It does happen that occasionally one can still find multiples of an item; whether a sign, can or ?

It has been noted many times on Oldgas and in the Petro Hobby. That I am a "Grouchy Old Man" and that is mostly true. I've been around long enough to know that the old adage of "If it seems too good to be true"...? Most of the time, the adage is actually the truth...

So, for me; no matter who a Seller is? If they somehow have multiples of items that are uncommon and sometimes even rare; I look much harder at their present Auctions and even harder at their past Auctions... It can be very enlightening to see what one can find out about a Seller....

I must note that rustyrelicsart, is not the only Seller to sell an Associated Oil Air and Water sign on Ebay in the last year. What did catch my eye though; was his Auctions are the only ones where I noticed that any Seller was selling multiples of the sign....

I am not close to being perfect; so I very well could have missed other Sellers that sold multiples of this sign. But, I keep a pretty close eye on Associated Oil/Tide Water Oil/Tide Water Associated and Tidewater Oil items and I use the "Advanced Search" option on Ebay on a regular basis and have not noticed any other Sellers with multiples of the Associated sign....

Just something to think about......
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: More and more Associated Oil "Air and Water" signs - Thu Jun 16 2016 04:38 PM
Rustyrelics is a POS seller, he is one everybody should avoid.
Originally Posted By Bob Richards
Lately more and more Associated Oil "Air and Water" signs have shown up in the Hobby, Just something to think about......

"BEWARE"- good sign too stay away from
Thanks for posting the heads up! .. ... cool
Same thing is happening with the Mobil Metro shields. Been like 6 fakes pop up in the past two weeks on eBay
Posted By: BryceG Re: More and more Associated Oil "Air and Water" signs - Thu Jun 16 2016 09:28 PM
lots of pump plates are quickly being ruined by fakes... cause the fakes are darn good.

In that past year...
Sinclair Diesels
Texaco Diesels (multiple versions)
Mobil Restrooms
Mobil Metro

Not sure what can be done... but its scary how much the fake pump plates are stirring up the hobby. All I can say is buy from a reputable dealer that stands behind their stuff 100%!

And Bob, that air/water is definately fake. Ive only ever seen 2 real ones, and this one is not one.
You can add the Mobiloil plates to the list now too....Dan and I discussed them today. Ebay item 262482969256. This curved one is also a repro, item 222153608855.

In my 10+ years specializing in Mobil, I have never seen an original Mobiloil plate dated any year but IR46.

Unbelievable....I was just on Ebay to get another item number and yet ANOTHER shows up with the IR40 date, Ebay item 262487238869!
I looked at their other items and this Mobilfuel is fake too...Ebay item 262487234676.

I just can't believe it anymore guys, I'm almost speechless right now. Four new Mobil repros in the last 2 months! Metro, restroom, Mobiloil, and "thin border" Mobilfuel, even though it is too thick on the repro. frown
Darin
Posted By: puregas Re: More and more Associated Oil "Air and Water" signs - Sun Jun 19 2016 03:10 AM
Not going into details, but the dates are a joke! Just now noticed the Texaco wide spray diesel plate. It is indeed sad, to say the least! It will only get worse.
First Of all let me say Bob your not a Grouchy Old Man. I would say your spot on with your opinions, and I can respect that. I enjoy reading your post and honesty.

I am here to say thank you to the educated older collectors on OLD GAS for sharing the Knowledge with people like myself.
Repops suck as a collector. Have I been burned , of course. Not a good feeling. D.B. forced me to sign up on old gas and use the search engine on the site. And it works Great.

Again Thank you Guys and what a great site this really is.

Happy Fathers Day

Gene
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk