Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: oldpumper Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 01:15 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sinclair-Power-X...=item2575237b42

Any thoughts on this one? I am not a expert on clocks..
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 01:17 AM
face looks suspicious to me. I'm on the fence.
Posted By: oldpumper Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 01:23 AM
Too many repo's nowday's including pam clocks,not to mention fantasy pieces...
Posted By: TheRoyalCrown Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 01:37 AM
Seller never mentioned original anywhere in description or title. If you have doubts that might be a clue...
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 03:17 AM
I'm not all that familiar with Sinclair clocks. In my opinion that looks to be a fantasy item.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 03:18 AM
POWER Decal looks Cocked
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 09:44 AM
I saw this,and have never seen one like it before.just to hard to tell with all the fakes out there.im sticking with neons
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 10:28 AM
I could be wrong but I seem to remember all the original Pam clocks having the date.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 10:54 AM
Not so Rick.some are, some aren't. I have a couple not dated, and a few that are.all are known to be original. Even some repos are dated also.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 10:56 AM
ok wrong again blush
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 11:50 AM
In general,I'm finding "Must See" is the favored slang for selling non original items.
Meaning if you saw it in person & up close,you'd see it's details & realize it was homemade recently or many years ago.
JMO..
Posted By: eshaver Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 01:03 PM
Originally Posted By: coldpizza
In general,I'm finding "Must See" is the favored slang for selling non original items.
Meaning if you saw it in person & up close,you'd see it's details & realize it was homemade recently or many years ago.
JMO..

VERY WELL PUT SIR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Shaver
Posted By: keithia Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 02:42 PM
It has the newer logo at the 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock positions which came out in 1959 which was when Power-X was replaced by Dino Supreme. If my facts are straight this would be a fantasy clock.
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 06:52 PM
PCM's guide to gas pump restoration (first edition) on page 186 shows the Sinclair Power X the super fuel globes were used from 1953 to 1959. The new trapazoid logo did come out in 1959 also. Dino Supreme came out in 1962. Also from 1959 - 1962 there were two other Power X globes in use. So while it is possible the clock was made in a logo transition time frame, I would be careful...
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 07:01 PM
...Sinclair logos are off...the name 'Sinclair' is too big...and I've never seen a 'reverse' Sinclair logo...run, don't walk, away from this fake...
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 07:25 PM
whats reversed?

With the:
bright white area(no bugs,dirt, crazing after 40 years with bulbs burning away?)

the modern looking font on the PAM CLOCK info area
(a lot of the repro faces have this type font, look at real ones for examples and compare)

the dual logos(why isnt it just Power X graphics? it would have been in the station, no need to identify it as Sinclair)and repros tend to "overdo" it graphics wise to sell the fake product versus the simple original graphics on real items.
Why isnt Sinclair letters red on this one?

I'd bet fake until proven otherwise
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 07:38 PM
'reverse' - white letters and Dino on a green field...
Posted By: Tankar Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 11:16 PM
I agree total FAKE!
Posted By: coheley5 Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 11:28 PM
Seems to me every time I see an ebay add with a guy holding up a sign or a clock with his hand showing just as it is in the RCA clock photo below on the same page as the dino it is always a fake.
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Wed Sep 12 2012 11:43 PM
FWIW... http://www.americanpickerswarehouse.com/Sinclair-Power-X_p_167.html Same face as on the clock.

The back seems like a new Pam rather than vintage. So all in all I'd say it's a fantasy piece. That being said, I've seen plenty of modern Pams selling at local auctions for high money. ($250-400).

If you're collecting for value pass it, and if you're collecting simply for decorating look elsewhere for a cheaper price.
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Thu Sep 13 2012 01:45 PM
carolinaskies,

I think the body is vintage PAM clock(what do new ones look like?(other than round ones with aluminum light covers)

its an old PAM clock, just probably not originally Sinclair

same story, old PAM clock, totally new face.
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Thu Sep 13 2012 06:07 PM
I just sold a Universal at Dixie, this one seems far too clean a body for vintage. BTW, the same seller had other Pams he has sold... some looked OK, others doubtful. Definitely would prefer seeing them in person.
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Thu Sep 13 2012 06:26 PM
some of these werent used very much, they were in business until 1976 or so
they made a bunch for many companies so it is possible for one to have been made and not used
I would think all of the different angles in the backs of the square PAM bodies would be expensive to replicate, and in the same gold color
I have seen the new round bodies but not new square bodies that look original.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Thu Sep 13 2012 06:59 PM
It's not the bodies that concern MOST of us.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Thu Sep 13 2012 09:28 PM
...with all of the Pam clocks that have suffered badly peeling paint, there are plenty of old bodies to go around, and the flat glass is easy enough to create...
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Fri Sep 14 2012 10:03 AM
They have repop'd/fantasy'd round and square and even double bubble versions. I recently sold a square Nesbitt's repop and inspected some round versions. That's why the back on the OP piece looks suspect to me. But as others are saying, what is the bigger concern is the face, it's apparently pure fantasy and confuses the issue of authenticity.

Originally Posted By: marxmobilgas
some of these werent used very much, they were in business until 1976 or so
they made a bunch for many companies so it is possible for one to have been made and not used
I would think all of the different angles in the backs of the square PAM bodies would be expensive to replicate, and in the same gold color
I have seen the new round bodies but not new square bodies that look original.
Posted By: pumpdoc Re: Sinclair Pam Clock - Tue Jan 09 2018 05:31 PM
I just bought this Pam Clock . The people who owned it, bought it from the local Sinclair station owner. 40 years ago. I was at the auction when they bought it!! It was hanging and working in the station for years before the station closed. Is this the same clock that this thread is talking about? 5 years ago.

Attached picture IMG_0071.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0070.JPG
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk