Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Catauladave Cleaning and removing rust from License plate - Fri Jan 05 2018 09:38 PM
My son wants to know the best way to clean and remove rust from an old license plate without removing existing paint. I suggested electrolysis. Any better suggestions ? Thanks, Dave
Posted By: Tankar Re: Cleaning and removing rust from License plate - Fri Jan 05 2018 10:27 PM
Bar Keepers friend I use on rust. Just take it slow and try before rubbing to hard.
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Cleaning and removing rust from License plate - Fri Jan 05 2018 10:37 PM
Thank you. Dave
Posted By: JimT Re: Cleaning and removing rust from License plate - Sat Jan 06 2018 05:16 AM
Ive been having pretty good luck with Naval Jelly. I just kind of rediscovered it. Try it. Put it on thick and let it sit for about fifteen minutes. Then scrub it around with a tooth brush. Then rinse.Seal with Sani-wax or similar.
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Cleaning and removing rust from License plate - Sat Jan 06 2018 08:58 AM
I used that stuff 35 years ago on cast iron bubble gum machine parts. I bought it from an ad in Hemmings Motor News. LOL Thanks Jim. Dave
Posted By: Dr Dave Re: Cleaning and removing rust from License plate - Sat Jan 27 2018 04:30 PM
Try this stuff from Home Depot, Dave. Not sold at Lowes.
http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/phosphoric-prep-etch
Apply, gently agitate, rinse off after 5-10 minutes. Repeat as needed. Too many times or too long and it will remove the paint as well.
Good luck!
Dave
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Cleaning and removing rust from License plate - Sat Jan 27 2018 05:12 PM
Dr.Dave
How much is that?
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Cleaning and removing rust from License plate - Sun Jan 28 2018 12:35 AM
Thanks for the tip ! Great to hear from you. Dave
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Cleaning and removing rust from License plate - Sun Jan 28 2018 12:28 PM
Finished product.."Rustoration". Painted tag and highlighted letters with sponge brush. Nothing serious. Dave

Attached picture tag 004.JPG
Posted By: Dr Dave Re: Cleaning and removing rust from License plate - Mon Feb 05 2018 01:33 AM
Long time no see, Dave! Hope you are well, my friend!
Dave
Posted By: Corey1955 Re: Cleaning and removing rust from License plate - Mon Feb 12 2018 03:33 AM
Metal rescue is another one I use
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Cleaning and removing rust from License plate - Mon Feb 12 2018 05:01 PM
Hey Dr. Dave...still here in the same spot. Good to hear from you. Come see us. Dave
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk