Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Bob Richards Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 08:54 PM
Is this what the Members want Oldgas to be?

The Showcase Forum when I first started lurking on Oldgas and when I became a Member... Was just that... The Showcase of the site... It was a place where Members shared photos of their Collections, now it is a place where Members can show their "Cut out Dolls"...

The Showcase Forum was a place that Information and History could and would be shared... Now it is a place for Members to paint a wagon.. Throw a few decals on it and somehow that is the "Site's Showcase"?

That is the best, new Members can come up with?

Instead of helping the 'site, it makes the site look like a joke and that is not just my opinion!.....

Take some damn pride in the site and more IMPORTANTLY IN YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn(s932), is trying to get the COTM(Company Of The Month) up and running again.... Unfortunately for him, I volunteered to "host" the first couple of months... I know that a number of Members won't post images, because they don't like me, my attitude and even my time in the Hobby... I am sorry for that Shawn and Oldgas as a whole... I'm not doing this for myself, I wanted to "give back" to the Oldgas Community and the Hobby...

I was hoping that Members would come forward and get Oldgas back "on track".... I'm not sure if Members have come forward, I hope so...

Mick (oldnfuelish), has worked hard to get the FATW(Found Along The Way) Feature back up... Instead of posting photos in his thread, Members start their own threads... Why not as a Membership post in his feature thread?

Kenny (publicenemy1925) started the thread "Great Old Pics" almost 2 years ago... Some "New Members" have started their own threads in "competition" instead of posting in Kenny's thread...

WHY? Why,instead of supporting those who have worked hard to start a Feature... Do you need to start a thread that competes?

Why instead of posting "Non-Petro" in the NON-PETRO BOTM... Do you feel the need to post it in the BOTW, which has ALWAYS BEEN for PETRO RELATED ITEMS?

People you are turning Oldgas into a "Garage Sale" site, instead of a "Petro Site".....(my opinion)

I understand that the purpose of the Membership on Oldgas has "changed" somewhat, from when I found the site...

"New Members" if you don't believe it, go back 7-10 years and read the threads and compare them to what is being posted now... Some of those who joined during the time period, I just mentioned are trying to "take" Oldgas forward to that time again...

When I started on Oldgas, Jim and the Membership talked about the History of the Hobby... Now we talk about "cut-out" dolls... Made up posters.... Red wagons, painted teal...

Maybe Oldgas and the Hobby, HAS passed me by....Maybe I am a dinosaur and I am behind the times....

I see so many Collectors who have hundreds of years of Experience who have walked away from Oldgas... I know that a good portion of them are still in the Hobby... I talk to them by email, on the phone, (I'm not really on Facebook, but I'm told a number of them show their "new finds" on it)... etc....

The Membership, had better ask themselves WHY... Why are those with a "ton" of experience and history in the hobby... Why are they walking away from Oldgas... And then look long and hard in the mirror.... Are you the reason they are "walking away"?....

I have "driven" some Members away! And for that I am truly sorry... I should never have that much influence and power, on anyone else!!!!!!!!!!

Oldgas, is becoming a site, I don't recognize and honestly one I am not enjoying as much as I did even a few short years ago...

Instead of sharing history... Too many are sharing "*****" (my opinion).....

It is time for the Membership to decide, if this is the Oldgas they want? Or do they want the site to go back to a "true" Petro site? (again my opinion)....
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 09:03 PM
Two thumbs up
Go Petro!!!
Posted By: Rust and Dust Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 09:16 PM
To quote Mahatma gandhi "Be the change you want to see in the (OLDGAS) world".
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 09:19 PM
Bob, you and Shawn are doing a great Job on COTM it is great that you guys brought it back. And it was great to see Mick bring back FATW. Publicenemy1925's "Great Old Pictures" is one of my favorites threads on the site. And I always look forward to BOTW that Doc hosts. These are all great threads and glad you guys donate your time to the site for these.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 09:23 PM
Love the pictures and the knowledge of so many on here that help me in restoring pumps.
Posted By: FennecFox87 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 09:24 PM
Eventually all things are tainted because this is a flea market and always has and will be. No deals here ever or knowledge. Longer people join this more junk will present its self with no addition of information, and then eventually a member will post a long rant and rave knowing no one can and will do anything. This is a Facebook petro based site all this is. post a picture of a pony if ya want!!! Here is a picture of a tree... I agree this site is garbage...and there is no going back.
Posted By: eshaver Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 09:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Is this what the Members want Oldgas to be?

The Showcase Forum when I first started lurking on Oldgas and when I became a Member... Was just that... The Showcase of the site... It was a place where Members shared photos of their Collections, now it is a place where Members can show their "Cut out Dolls"...

The Showcase Forum was a place that Information and History could and would be shared... Now it is a place for Members to paint a wagon.. Throw a few decals on it and somehow that is the "Site's Showcase"?

That is the best, new Members can come up with?

Instead of helping the 'site, it makes the site look like a joke and that is not just my opinion!.....

Take some damn pride in the site and more IMPORTANTLY IN YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn(s932), is trying to get the COTM(Company Of The Month) up and running again.... Unfortunately for him, I volunteered to "host" the first couple of months... I know that a number of Members won't post images, because they don't like me, my attitude and even my time in the Hobby... I am sorry for that Shawn and Oldgas as a whole... I'm not doing this for myself, I wanted to "give back" to the Oldgas Community and the Hobby...

I was hoping that Members would come forward and get Oldgas back "on track".... I'm not sure if Members have come forward, I hope so...

Mick (oldnfuelish), has worked hard to get the FATW(Found Along The Way) Feature back up... Instead of posting photos in his thread, Members start their own threads... Why not as a Membership post in his feature thread?

Kenny (publicenemy1925) started the thread "Great Old Pics" almost 2 years ago... Some "New Members" have started their own threads in "competition" instead of posting in Kenny's thread...

WHY? Why,instead of supporting those who have worked hard to start a Feature... Do you need to start a thread that competes?

Why instead of posting "Non-Petro" in the NON-PETRO BOTM... Do you feel the need to post it in the BOTW, which has ALWAYS BEEN for PETRO RELATED ITEMS?

People you are turning Oldgas into a "Garage Sale" site, instead of a "Petro Site".....(my opinion)

I understand that the purpose of the Membership on Oldgas has "changed" somewhat, from when I found the site...

"New Members" if you don't believe it, go back 7-10 years and read the threads and compare them to what is being posted now... Some of those who joined during the time period, I just mentioned are trying to "take" Oldgas forward to that time again...

When I started on Oldgas, Jim and the Membership talked about the History of the Hobby... Now we talk about "cut-out" dolls... Made up posters.... Red wagons, painted teal...

Maybe Oldgas and the Hobby, HAS passed me by....Maybe I am a dinosaur and I am behind the times....

I see so many Collectors who have hundreds of years of Experience who have walked away from Oldgas... I know that a good portion of them are still in the Hobby... I talk to them by email, on the phone, (I'm not really on Facebook, but I'm told a number of them show their "new finds" on it)... etc....

The Membership, had better ask themselves WHY... Why are those with a "ton" of experience and history in the hobby... Why are they walking away from Oldgas... And then look long and hard in the mirror.... Are you the reason they are "walking away"?....

I have "driven" some Members away! And for that I am truly sorry... I should never have that much influence and power, on anyone else!!!!!!!!!!

Oldgas, is becoming a site, I don't recognize and honestly one I am not enjoying as much as I did even a few short years ago...

Instead of sharing history... Too many are sharing "*****" (my opinion).....

It is time for the Membership to decide, if this is the Oldgas they want? Or do they want the site to go back to a "true" Petro site? (again my opinion)....

Bob, I really agree with ya . I'll remain silent as to further comments as I've already riled enough here in times past . Ed Shaver
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 09:37 PM
Well said Bob, it's great to see someone with balls telling it how it is.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 09:41 PM
Bob,
I agree with most of the stuff you said, but it is not only Old Gas that is changing, it is the complete hobby.

I attended the show at Columbia, MO this past weekend and you wouldn't believe how many barn hanger signs were there. This and many other things that we used to kick out of the way to get to the good stuff.

Almost every sign I saw being carried out the door was plastic.

Is all the good old original stuff gone or is it the price that has made stuff from the 1980s "neat items?"

A little tightening of the rules would help, but what we cannot change is attitute.

Jack Sim
jhsim@petrocollect.com
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 09:42 PM
I think the name calling is what we do not want and If you can show us how to make this better than we will most likely follow your lead. In reference to the poster from Rocky top.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 10:05 PM
...Bob, I can't think of anything you've posted that would cause anyone to leave Oldgas...if you have, it's not about the amount of 'power' you're wielding, but about how thin their skin is...

...no one who's serious about this stuff would let a comment or two - or even an Oldgas member or two - keep them from tapping into the potential of this site...

...I know there are times (daytime and nighttime) when some of the posts on Oldgas drive me crazy - because the questions posed are easily answered elsewhere; metaphysically impossible to answer ("is this interesting?" confused ); or one of a handful of people, posting 'wish I could afford that' or 'nice sign' after just about every For Sale or Showcase post...'participating' but not adding anything substantive to the discussion...

...I'm on Oldgas because collecting this stuff is in my bones...anyone who's known me a long time, knows that it's my passion in life...I want to learn things I don't know, see things I haven't seen, make my Gulf collection the best in the world if I can, and 'make room' for new additions...if I can help a true collector who has posted asking for info or an item, I'll comment on their post...I know I'm going to make friends, and adversaries, in the process...that's just life...I'll be damned if I'm going to lose any sleep over being on someone's 'ignore' list...that's their loss...I'm not here to tell anyone the ghastly paint scheme they chose for their gas pump is just peachy...that doesn't help anyone in the long run...

...and then there's the Value forum...crazy

...I would guess that problem with people starting new threads instead of adding to the old ones, might be that they are new members and aren't aware that there IS an original thread...a suggestion: maybe if those threads were 'fixed' at the top of the list, they would be accessed and added to as new info came along?...perhaps this has already been tried, I don't know...it just occurred to me that it might help reduce the problem...
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 10:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
I think the name calling is what we do not want and If you can show us how to make this better than we will most likely follow your lead. In reference to the poster from Rocky top.

...Craig, if he really thinks the site is 'garbage', I wonder why he's wasting his time here...he's posted 10 times, in the year he's been on Oldgas...
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 10:19 PM
I forgot to mark my calendar. Is it odd-numbered Mondays when we start a new topic about how this site, the hobby and all the people are going to **** in a handbasket?

The moderators just can't immediately deal with every thing that concerns everyone. Recently we did move several non-petro things to Non-Petro. We did combine several topics that were about the same thing into one topic. No lives were in jeopardy, no blood was shed, but there was some weeping and gnashing of teeth. Your results may vary.

I hear from more members who say they don't participate as much because of seeing posts with bickering and complaining than any other reason.
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 10:37 PM
Bob, 2 thumbs up for that!!!!!! Want to help in anyway to make this site better. It is not all about the who has more, and who's stuff is better, it is about the people. Just MO. People have helped me allot(Bob, Darin Shiffer, Oldgas, and a few others).

Thanks
Noah
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 10:46 PM
One of the things I see myself advising new members (when I can almost see their hackles raising at the way they are being addressed right off)quite frequently is to develop a thick skin rather than writing this site off immediately because someone treated them in a less than courteous manner right off the bat.

If I went looking, I could probably pick this site apart, but what's the point? Instead, let me commend those who manage and participate in this less than perfect refuge some of us (in varying degrees) escape into from our less than perfect real worlds. In the end, all we can be held accountable for is our actions, not what we perceive as the imperfect actions of others.

Yes, Jim, a member told me this weekend that he hardly ever comes on the site any more because it has gotten to be too much like a bunch of old women fussing. smile
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 10:47 PM
This site is like a tag sale...not enough history on the items and why we as COLLECTORS are in this hobby. I think the focus of the site has gone on the way side....now its about money and how much is this sign worth in this antique malll before i buy it so when i do buy it i can try to sell it here....posting pictures i can understand why many people do not and i try to limit certain items. Reproductions are being produced in crazy amounts and items we thought would never be reproduced are now being made. Every week there is a massive amount of reproduction junk that shows up on ebay.... I am trying my best with TBA of the month as with the cotm which are great ways to introduce new collectors. I agree with you BOB.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Mon Jan 21 2013 11:09 PM
I honestly think that everyone has something to contribute on Oldgas....

All I was/am asking is that one takes the time, to think before posting....

There is nothing wrong with posting "cut-outs" (I don't know what else to call them) alongside a pump, computer, globe, sign etc... Or any of the other postings... IMO, these images should be placed in the General Discussion Forum... (that is why I placed my post about the Showcase Forum in the General Discussion Forum)... Or the other appropriate Forums.....

The Showcase Forum, in the past WAS NOT for the mundane (IMO).... IT WAS for "Showcase" items and Threads... Threads like COTM, GOTM, FATW, BOTW... Histories of Company's... Images of Collections... Vintage photos that highlighted the Hobby....

The Showcase Forum, was special and was treated as such.... I am hoping; That we the Membership, can elevate it back up to that "Special Status"....

My posting was not to "re-hash" what has been discussed in the past.... I was hoping that We, as a Membership, will take a long look at the Showcase Forum and that We will support those who are working hard on the Feature Forums... Those like: Shawn, Mick, Keith, Doc, Kenny and Lonnie and Aaron.... (hopefully I haven't left out anyone)...
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 12:05 AM
I'm wondering, and I suppose Jim can answer this;

How about a general email from Oldgas to members pointing out these highlight threads? For those who have joined since many of the threads became less active they may not be aware of them. The email can point to them and advise what the purpose is for them.

Just a suggestion.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 12:13 AM
I AGREE Bob.
Always thought a Random picture was just that Random, not a posed/setup picture.

Tim Rohr ASKED for Help in getting an Indicator Gallery set up. Quite a few posted they thought that was a great Idea.
He ASKED for my Help & I have ASKED for YOUR Help. Only a couple have sent images to him or me.
He is Frustrated, I'm Frustrated..............
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 12:18 AM
You are right, db.. I meant to contribute to the thread and I haven't... I will see if I can't dig up some images...
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 12:28 AM
Bob, I agree with your comments and observations.

It's sad, when membership is treated like a privilege.

It's tragic, when censorship prevails over common sense.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 12:29 AM
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
How about a general email from Oldgas to members pointing out these highlight threads? For those who have joined since many of the threads became less active they may not be aware of them. The email can point to them and advise what the purpose is for them.

Paul,
I send a "Welcome" email to new members with links to "How To Post a Picture" "How to Post a Message" and 4 more. There are Forum Guidelines and Summaries on the forums and a forum dedicated to "Help" topics. But in actual experience, too many people don't read directions or rules, even when they are having difficulty doing something.
Posted By: towbizz33 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 12:39 AM
i think, all you guys sound like a bunch of old wash woman. just my right to voice my opinion!
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 12:50 AM
Thanks for jumping in, Lyle...

You make my point...

You edited what you had to say and that was too bad, if that is how you really feel....

I was/am hoping to return Oldgas to where it was a few years ago... A time when the Membership was engaged in the History of the Hobby.... I really don't give a damn if one is a Collector, Novice, Non-Collector, Picker... Whatever.... I would hope if one becomes a Member of Oldgas; They have an interest in the Hobby and it's History....

If that means I sound like a "Washer Woman", then so be it.....
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 12:52 AM
Posting pictures is as easy as sending in an email, yet some members Refuse to learn how to re-size for Direct Upload or to use the Multi FREE Image Hosting Sites on the web.
When using a Image hosting, ALWAYS select the Link for FORUMS, use the FREE TEST Area;
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=11&page=1
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 01:14 AM
Bob you make great points on this topic.

This site has changed as i have read older post and how we all use to get along and the history was important.
Granted i have been on this site for only a few plus months, i understand your concerns.

It is sad that people post how they "hate" this site and think that we all sound like a bunch of old women. If they really think that way then leave the site and let us all be on our merry way. No hard feeling towards anyone, but complaining and posting offensive stuff without trying to make the site better is useless. All post should be for the health of this site.

The reason i am here is to learn, trade, meet awesome people, collect petro items and old advertising. This is what Jim Potts wanted Oldgas to be.

I have been using the PM system more now because of useless post and i want oldgas to be a place for good information for us and the future generations.

So i am off my soapbox now...

Who is next?
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 01:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Thanks for jumping in, Lyle...

You make my point...

You edited what you had to say and that was too bad, if that is how you really feel....

I was/am hoping to return Oldgas to where it was a few years ago... A time when the Membership was engaged in the History of the Hobby.... I really don't give a damn if one is a Collector, Novice, Non-Collector, Picker... Whatever.... I would hope if one becomes a Member of Oldgas; They have an interest in the Hobby and it's History....

If that means I sound like a "Washer Woman", then so be it.....

Guess he LIKES US Bob, HE is still throwing 1/2 of his 2c in !
Posted By: towbizz33 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 01:21 AM
bob, i never said you were a wash women,if you thought that,sorry. i fell every time i log on to this site,everyone is having a ***** contest.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 01:26 AM
Lyle, I apologize if I "jumped to a conclusion"!

I have a bad habit of "acting like a frog and jumping too quickly" a good portion of the time...

I knows it drives many Members crazy and I am trying to control it, but as all can see... Hard to teach this 'Ol Dog any new tricks.... LOL
Posted By: Flatland Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 01:27 AM
It sure would be much easier to sit on the sidelines and say nothing, but here is my $.02:
Overall, a very healthy discussion. I have been on here just long enough to fall in the middle between the veterans and the new members, so I see both sides.

Once a thread falls off of the page, it is easier to post, than to research. I didn't know the "great old pics" thread existed for a long time.

I didn't know of the "changes" in showcase, so I just went back and looked. Bob, I see what you are saying. I personaly never post anything because I don't have anything super rare,or extremely valuable. That doesn't mean I'm not proud of it,and I certianly understand those who do post that first pump or can, that they are so proud of.

I don't understand the venom that some veterans respond to new members questions with, nor do I understand the newbies that are instant experts. I choose to simply not respond if I am in disagreement, and let the thread disappear off the page quickly and silently.I have been guilty of wanting to respond or ask, and haven't, out of concern for how it would be responded to.

The moderators never receive enough credit for the time and effort they put in. My thanks to each of you. Thanks also to those working on the COTM and other long running threads.

I have only offered opinions, and no solutions, but overall, this is a great sight. I have learned many things on this sight I would have never learned otherwise, seen many petro items I would probably have never seen and most importantly, I now am able to call many of you friends that would never have happened without Oldgas.
Posted By: towbizz33 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 01:33 AM
hey dick,see ya. just lost another member. are you happy now. i am tired of your snide remarks since i signed on this sight.again you guys are a bunch of girls.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 01:43 AM
I was hoping that we wouldn't "fall into the same old routine".. So please, give us(me) honest feedback... Without conflict if possible....
Posted By: Flatland Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 01:45 AM
Dick, I offered my $.02. If you think I overvalued it, feel free to just take $.01!

Maybe I should have asked for input from the "Values" forum first!
Posted By: wildcatter Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 02:01 AM
Oldgas is a great site with great people on it! It's great that it's huge but due to the limited search engine it's impossible to find anything that is more than a few months old. I find using Google advanced search and specifying oldgas.com is much better at pulling up those hidden topics.

Some recs I can make, take 'em or leave 'em:
1) Split the for sale forum up in to cans, signs, globes, etc. so things don't get lost so fast.
2) Add some stickies to every other forum so important subjects stay on top and added to instead of being lost.
3) Pull the COTM and such out of the forums and give them their own tab on the site.
4) Get a better search feature and burn the old one to death.

I've been too busy to be more than a lurker these past few months but I'll try to check-in more often. smile
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 02:11 AM
I enjoy the site, big thanks to Jim and others for doing it.

As we all should know, things change, you can not keep everyone happy and if you dont like the way someone does something, feel free to do it yourself somewhere else.

There are some post I do not read, some I may read once but never go back and check for follow on comments. It is like TV, if you dont like it, change the channel. A site this big with so many different members do not all have the same idea of what the site should be. I try to add to it when I can and take from it what I can. If something has no interest to me, I move on instead of trying to get others to change, less stress that way...
Posted By: Rust and Dust Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 02:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
I enjoy the site, big thanks to Jim and others for doing it.

As we all should know, things change, you can not keep everyone happy and if you dont like the way someone does something, feel free to do it yourself somewhere else.

There are some post I do not read, some I may read once but never go back and check for follow on comments. It is like TV, if you dont like it, change the channel. A site this big with so many different members do not all have the same idea of what the site should be. I try to add to it when I can and take from it what I can. If something has no interest to me, I move on instead of trying to get others to change, less stress that way...
. What he said!!!!
Posted By: Thunder II Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 03:14 AM
Originally Posted By: towbizz33
hey dick,see ya. just lost another member. are you happy now. i am tired of your snide remarks since i signed on this sight.again you guys are a bunch of girls.

Yup! Childish BS comments, from whiners like towbiz, are a major part of the downfall of Oldgas.

The "Values" forum, has only fed the pickers. And if ya' dont like being callead a picker, then dont be one!

As for the COTM, ROTM, FATW, threads, and the others, that aren't done anymore... How about the great people that we lost, because of the BS? My COTM thread, was done with the cooperation of CHEVRON's historian. Permission was asked, before photos & facts, from their site were used. Other, so called historians, just copy & paste their findings, however incorrect they may be. But dont EVER ask them where they got their info. That will cause a long lived slander filled, personal hate fest, aimed directly at you!

Pictures? REALLY? Just so somebody can STEAL them, then post them as their own work? See the above comment...

Lets get back to pictures. How about "Post a random picture"... How is it that "a" random picture, becomes a certain members "photo blog"? Doesnt "a" mean ONLY ONE picture?

What about the colors? How badly was THAT option abused?

COUNTLESS members have left, or dont post as often as they once did, because the rules have changed. I'm all about change, but when it becomes as detrimental to the efforts, as it has done here, them we should stick to the original construction of the site!

Great post Bob. and as for me, you've never done me wrong. In fact, its your eloquence with the keyboard, that has actually spoken for me. Keep up the good work.

As for me, lets just see how much trouble I'm in now. LOL...
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 03:40 AM
I understand Bobs concern. I too have seen change in the short time I have been a member. buys of the week is the topic for show and tell. And a lot of the rest that lands in forumn could just as well be better suited in general.
I enjoy members input with pics and history to add. Thats what I,m here for. Give you a example Wes Maxwell he knows Sinclair when he post it is fed with history of the item years used etc.
I have searched for history of companies I collect and thats the fun of it,for me anyway. I have grown due to this sight and going to a few shows I have seen both sides of this hobby the fast buck chaser and the collector who sells and passes on to other members. I hope oldgas doesn't turn in to a flee market as others have said. Hey guys I don;t think any thing wrong with a new painted wagon with stickers but would it not fit in another forumn. There is not a rule about pics in general. Jim hasn't weighed in maybe I'm wrong and we are barking up the wrong tree.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 04:52 AM
I wish I knew what this site was and should be like. I have only been a member for a year and I wish everyone could all come together and talk about the thing we all love...Petroliana!! Im sure I have made some mistakes on here too, but I am human and I just love to learn about this kinda stuff. I have met some amazing people on here also and I want this site to get back to the reason that it was started in the first place. Thats what it is all about.
Posted By: archer2 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 05:48 AM
Humility, it seems to be lacking in some "old timers" and "newbies" alike.

Ed
Posted By: Notchcad Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 06:15 AM
This site is the best site out there for petro. Period. Yes there is issues. But it's to be expected. You have a wide variety of people on here. Any time you have a world wide audience you're gonna have some differences in opinions. But if it wasn't for the great group of people who contribute then what would ya have? Nothing. The moderators do everything they can and sometimes it's a little much and sometimes it's not enough. But hey, they aren't your parents and they aren't here to babysit. If they were they woulda already quit or used the belt on those who need it. Thank you to all that help to make this a great place to learn and meet great people. I can't speak for everyone but I have met some great people on here that I can call great friends and I have met some people on here that I can say are retired kids that know it all and still aren't happy with life. There is always gonna be a DB in every hobby you enjoy. Just get used to it or ignore it. There is always two or three roads to take and usually there is two or three grades of gas to choose from. Some people will always be the lowest octane but others can add the octane booster that'll get ya thru the journey. Learn from who ya can and let the others become a misfire. I like this and you like that but in the end we all love petroliana and everyday with this site you learn something new about the hobby and about the people in it. At the end of the day it's all smiles. If its not then you're taking it too serious. That's a little more than my 2 cents but then again... 2 cents don't get ya much these days.
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 08:02 AM
WOW! Let it out Bob. In this instance I'm going to refrain from adding any additional comments as I feel Bob and many others have made good points. I must confess myself in the last year I have stopped looking in like I used to although of late I've made the effort to just pick out the things I like to view and pass on the rest. I have always enjoyed the FATW, pics from the past threads the best. I love history and these really speak to it. Hobbies will move and change with the times and not always for the better. Someone posted earlier about plastic signs being more prevalent. That is just a natural progression as time moves on and newer, younger people enter the hobby. It's what they relate to and remember. I myself think they have their place. Not everyone can afford the prices of porcelain, or globes for that matter.
Bob, you know my specialty is in light bulb tins. It has been my intention to try and do a kind of small history and "guide" to collecting them. I'm just trying to find an afternoon I can put forth the full effort I'd like to put into it. I know it's a small niche of collecting, but it has it's charms which I hope to enlighten people on. So I will be contributing to the best of my ability to the forum you hold so dear.......ME TO.
Posted By: LSx Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 01:34 PM
How many of you guys are just as active on other forums as you are this one? If you arent, this is old news.

Im an active member on LS1tech.com as well as SilveradoSS.com. Over the years they both have changed as well as the members on it. In fact, any forum that has been around for some time I guarantee its the same song and dance. To see a thread such as this saying "its going to hell" or "everything has changed" isnt new. Why? Because over time things change.

Look at the things in our hobby. You dont see visable gas pumps any more do you? Or oil in cans? Why? Things change! Its life and its not uncommon for forums to change and the people on it as well.

Im not saying what is right and what is wrong, its just a fact. Everyone is different and when you have a forum that is open to the public its gonna happen.

I enjoy this forum and I frequent it often. As in my other hobbies and their forums I have met and made some great friends over the years. In the short time I have been on here I have met some great people and eager to help a newb out such as myself. If I post something cool, tell me its cool. If I post something ignorent, tell me im a dumb ***** and ill learn from it. If your skin isnt thick enough for an internet forum I hate to see how thick it is in real life.

Thanks for those who put the effor into making and moderating a forum such as this. You're efforts are appreciated here.
Posted By: orland234 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 03:11 PM

I came along in the summer and finally registered October 1st. I became interested in acquiring a gas pump to compliment my cars and the few other vintage items I have. I’m not a collector, picker, or trader of Petroliana. I just wanted a piece to go with my cars. I do have a few repro tin signs hanging on a wall in my garage to compliment my few old license plates, vintage padlock, car show wall plaques, and a tiny flip flop that belonged to my baby from a few summers ago.

I purchased a pump that needed parts, and oldgas.com connected me with people that could help me. Thank you to those that have helped, I appreciate that. I then thought it might be good to document my restoration on the “showcase” forum as it would encourage experienced restorers to offer advice and direction, and newbie’s to petroliana like me to learn from trial and error. I’ve enjoyed posting my progress on the pump.

As a photographer, I’ve posted a few petroliana related photos I’ve taken. Again, I thought people might be interested in seeing some of these images.

If I’m not following the rules, someone tell me. Send me a PM or post it. I want my posts to be of value to readers here.

Thanks to those that manage the site.

Orlando
Posted By: RandyM Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 05:10 PM
Wow, you guys are entertaining.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 05:39 PM
Originally Posted By: LSx
If I post something cool, tell me its cool. If I post something ignorent, tell me im a dumb ***** and ill learn from it. If your skin isnt thick enough for an internet forum I hate to see how thick it is in real life.

Thanks for those who put the effor into making and moderating a forum such as this. You're efforts are appreciated here.

well put...
Posted By: blacktee Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 06:25 PM
If I post something cool, tell me its cool. If I post something ignorent, tell me im a dumb ***** and ill learn from it. If your skin isnt thick enough for an internet forum I hate to see how thick it is in real life.

ditto

Wouldn't last a week on a  construction site. ; )

Hey LSx it's ignorant LOL
Posted By: Rust and Dust Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 08:55 PM
This!!!!! This right here is not what i wan old gas to be. Since this was posted there have been 20-30 threads started with questions, history, value, how to's, and show case post of deffernt levels of rarities. and none of them in less than 24 hours have nearly this many pages of feedback. Perhaps added up dont. But here we all are In line to grip and pi$$ and moan. We need less of these threads here on old gas and more of ANYTHING else. Less of this would be helpfull. Im not saying that points here arnt valid they are. But we do this everyweek. It didnt work last week it it wont change anything this week.
Posted By: LSx Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 09:02 PM
werd ^^^

Like Merle Haggard says, if you dont love it, leave it!
Posted By: fast66 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 09:35 PM
I was a bit surprised and also a little bit annoyed when I read this post - I thought we were starting to get along better than in a long time.
Jim and the moderators are doing a great job! Thanks to them we have a pretty cool place to hang out...

Now, let's try and boost each other instead of ourselves, HELP and CONTRIBUTE as much as possible, and we will be just fine :-)

br
Claes
Posted By: Notchcad Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 09:39 PM
I'm just here for the beer and the girls!
Posted By: dundign Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 09:45 PM
I am with you on that Clinton.....
Posted By: s932 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Notchcad

Ditto
Posted By: blacktee Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 09:55 PM
Originally Posted By: fast66
I was a bit surprised and also a little bit annoyed when I read this post - I thought we were starting to get along better than in a long time.
Jim and the moderators are doing a great job! Thanks to them we have a pretty cool place to hang out...

Now, let's try and boost each other instead of ourselves, HELP and CONTRIBUTE as much as possible, and we will be just fine :-)

br
Claes

RIGHT ON CLAES !
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 10:25 PM
Hey! How about while we're enjoying the beer and girls we talk about some old gas station stuff? You know, pumps and signs and things. We can post pictures too. It'll be cool!!

LMAO!! I'm sorry!! That was wrong!! Just trying to lighten things up.

I love this site. It's priceless, or at least the people are, if your going to be in this hobby. But then again, it's all I know. But then again, it's all I've needed to know. It's never let me down. I'm not sure what the vets are missing.
Posted By: gasmelincelr Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Tue Jan 22 2013 11:56 PM
Life it too short to worry about where this site is going. Lets consider ourselves lucky that we even have Oldgas. Thanks to Jim and the moderators for all the hard work.
Posted By: Brad67 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 12:15 AM
I just joined ? have not read this whole thing yet ? whats the gripe ?
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 12:19 AM

Speaking of "GIRLS"--I got to meet Clintons girlfriend in Columbus!!! VERY, VERY NICE!!
Posted By: Brad67 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 12:31 AM
I read thru most of it ? I just joined today so I really dont know what you are *****ed about ? heard mention of all the chinese repops I dont like those even so I have a couple of em on my wall but most of my stuff is old worn stuff what I call the GOOD STUFF , ohh yea and I did not join here to do the HOW MUCH CAN I GET FOR THIS ! LOL
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 12:37 AM
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH

Speaking of "GIRLS"--I got to meet Clintons girlfriend in Columbus!!! VERY, VERY NICE!!

Easy there old guy! whistle
Posted By: Hardy's Garage Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 12:40 AM
I registered on to Oldgas a little more than 8 years ago. Since then I have made several friends with the same interests as mine, I've been able to learn a great deal about the hobby, have the most respect for the effort/time that Jim and the moderators put into the site, expanded my collection and helped others to expand theirs as well.

What else would I want this site to be?

Don't worry about the small stuff....life is too short!
Posted By: Flatland Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 12:57 AM
KW, Look under older threads. Pretty sure there is already a "Lets brag on Clinton,Blah Blah Blah " thread!

LMAO! at least the thread is turning positive!
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 01:00 AM
I like this smile
Posted By: Big Block Cat Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 01:03 AM
I won’t waste my time (or anyone else’s) responding to this thread except to say, I posted my “Flying A” wagon in the wrong place – it got moved to the right place – It’s all good.

But I will take this opportunity to say I thoroughly enjoy this site and all it has to offer. Aside from some snide remarks and silly rants (that I choose to ignore), I get a lot from this site and have enjoyed my hobby immensely.

Wanna see a picture of my wagon? It’s under “non-petro” titled, “Flying A Parts Hauler”. It’s really cool and I enjoyed the time I spent putting it together!!!!!

Special thanks goes to the moderators of this site for all their hard work!
Posted By: 72Scamp Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 01:11 AM
Why am I asked to be a *****?....I am a newbie, but I just can't understand why someone wants to sell me something and then ask me commit fraud when paying for it. I'm referring to the 'paypal as a gift' . Paypal is a legitimate business and provides a service, and as such, they deserve a fee for service provided. If I buy something from you, it is not a 'gift'. Most, probably 99.9 % of you are honest and reputable, and consider yourselves as such, but yet you ask me to lie when I submit my payment. I did it the first time, because I was flabbergasted, but I won't do it anymore. I have no problem throwing you a few extra $ to cover your fees, but please don't ask me to lie and say it's a gift. It is fraud, and I won't be a part of it....considered starting a new thread on this, but decided to reply here...this is not what I want oldgas to be.
Posted By: 72Scamp Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 01:15 AM
**** = ****** ...that word is banned here?
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 01:21 AM
Ed,
Using that word tends to escalate a disagreement into a full conflict when it is directed at the opposing side.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 01:59 AM
Life is short. Spending energy on happy things is a good investment. Ignoring the small annoyances saves energy for the good stuff.

Description: Poster available on fab.com
Attached picture fabcom-life.jpg
Posted By: JimT Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 04:02 AM
The wagon: Eh, whatever. To each his own. The make believe cutouts: I hung my head. I hope it doesnt catch on.
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 04:06 AM
Yes it is as perfect as the real world if you can read between the lines and know what I mean! GO OLD GAS!!!!

Rob
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 05:51 AM
Seriously....the person that posts with great pride a collection of pot holders turns around and calls other people's stuff 'garage sale items'?

Someone posting their red wagon with petro stickers is far less offensive than the veteran members continually harping on the new collectors/members around here.

I don't know the numbers, Jim would, but my guess is page hits on this site are stronger now than they were 10 years ago and that's what pays the bills here. Advertisers get more exposure, vendors get more sales, and members get a chance to add to their collection with purchases here. The for sale section here is hot as ever.

I've noticed as I age that I sometimes dislike change..well guess what...it's part of life. You either adapt to it with age or become a crusty complainer continually whining about a past that really was not as pure and innocent as you choose to remember it.
Posted By: 72Scamp Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 06:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Oldgas
Ed,
Using that word tends to escalate a disagreement into a full conflict when it is directed at the opposing side.

Understood Jim. Thanks. I've learned a lot here, dealt with some wonderful people, and really enjoy the site.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 06:34 AM
LOL... Yep you are right.... I am judgemental.... Never claimed to be otherwise...

I asked a simple question and for the life of me... I haven't read an answer to it...

Do the Oldgas Membership want the Showcase Forum to be a "Special Forum" or not, is all I asked?...

If not, so be it.... I just want to know...

Posted By: huskybob Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 09:41 AM
Bob..... After reading your posts for a number of years I have a hard time believing that you are capable of asking a "simple question", but if you had just focused on the Showcase Forum and truly asked that particular question

"Do the Oldgas Membership want the Showcase Forum to be a "Special Forum" or not, is all I asked?..."

maybe you would have gotten some answers by now.
But instead you are talking about Oldgas in general as your title and first question say nothing about the Showcase Forum and I didn't see anything simple about your original post at all.
Posted By: Brad67 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 10:57 AM
So ? This post is about the showcase forum , wanting to know if people want it to be special or not ? Do you mean that you would only like ultra rare high dollar peices pictured ? And people that have general items that they have collected should not post those ? Im a car guy and in the car hobby we have people that think like that , like people that own say a corvette are special , I own a 67 camaro so im not one of the beautifull people ? Does that make a guy with a corvette better than me ? No it dont ! I see what this post is about , and you are fighting a loosing battle because it takes a lot of people to keep these hobbies alive , not just a guy with a corvette .
Posted By: rogerg Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 12:15 PM
I am new here.

I agree with Brad67.

I also have an old car that is not a corvette!

I liken this to deer hunting. It is really cool to see somebody shoot a monster buck but it is even neater to see the young kid shoot his/her first doe!

As a hunter of both critters and petrolina its the 'hunt' that counts not always the 'kill'. That's why it's called hunting and not killing.

It takes all levels of expertise to further a sport. And this is Definately a 'sport'.

Don't sweat the small stuff and stop to smell the little rose bushes as you walk thru the woods while you are enjoying the mighty oak!

and most importantly know that the 'stinky old skunk' still can have many wonderful qualities even if it can.....well you know!
Posted By: Rust and Dust Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 12:27 PM
Is this what you want your general petroliana section to be???? Jim i kindly ask you to move this to none petro lol. General petro is about question and coments about gas station and automotive service stuff. History And how too's. And this is a thread about the internet and how its changeing and belongs in non petro. This is not what i want my general petro discussion to be i want it to be about petro.

Jim this was a joke im not demanding that you do anything. But it is true.
Posted By: JimT Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 12:27 PM
Bobs just trying to protect the sight from getting watered down with fantasy junk, flea mrkt items and a playground for guys that arent serious about collecting and just want to make a quick buck off the lastest "hot" area of collecting,I think. He's not talking about proudly displayed original items that are in poor condition or not "expensive". He is both a veteran collector and a armed service veteran. He fights for what he believes in and loves. We need more Bobs. And less flash in the pans.
Posted By: rogerg Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 12:40 PM
Why did I post some 'good' insight! as a new-comer

I guess I'll go back into the shadows....

I was sent this nasty message because I was totally misinterpreted:

no this hobby for a few is not just sport.........i've been member here for over 10 years & have bought and sold this ***** for over 25 years and its my full time job.......Its really cool to see something being killed??? if you really think like this you are one sick bastard...do it for the meat not the trophy or enjoyment of seeing something being killed!!! wow wow wow, its really something to imangine that there are people like you around...I'm from Mn also and was born and raised up on a resort in Grand Rapids so i grew up killing, trapping, hunting, fishing, however i can proudly say that i do not enjoy killing, but will do it to survive !!!!
Posted By: roadrelics Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 12:47 PM
it is really
Posted By: Rust and Dust Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 12:48 PM
Dont focus on the negative people like that. You know full and well what kind of guy the person that posted that. Hes a bs artist. If he grew up hunting he would understand exactly what you said. Because i do. When i shoot a big bucki cut his head off and then begin eating him butt checks first.
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 01:01 PM
Originally Posted By: rogerg
Why did I post some 'good' insight! as a new-comer

I guess I'll go back into the shadows....

I was sent this nasty message because I was totally misinterpreted:

no this hobby for a few is not just sport.........i've been member here for over 10 years & have bought and sold this ***** for over 25 years and its my full time job.......Its really cool to see something being killed??? if you really think like this you are one sick bastard...do it for the meat not the trophy or enjoyment of seeing something being killed!!! wow wow wow, its really something to imangine that there are people like you around...I'm from Mn also and was born and raised up on a resort in Grand Rapids so i grew up killing, trapping, hunting, fishing, however i can proudly say that i do not enjoy killing, but will do it to survive !!!!

Roger, you're ok, I know exactly what you meant. We helped a young teenage boy this past fall harvest his first deer (a doe) The excitement, passion, and pure satisfaction we saw on his face when he was a successful hunter was worth all the time we spent getting him ready. You didn't say you liked killing, you said you liked seeing someone else experience success at hunting.

As a rookie, you now understand how the site here works and why many veterans don't post as much.
Posted By: mdmike Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 01:17 PM
After reading this post and the followup comments, I will offer my opinion. The Showcase Forum has and still is an interesting portion of this site and the historical information has been very beneficial. The lack of pictures is due to the fact that repro signs and globes are coming to the market and are being made very closely to the originals they are being copied from. This site and its various forums show many pictures and even describe to the repro makers where the mistakes are as compared to the original. This is why many veteran collectors such as myself do not post pictures. I do not like visitors to my collection taking pictures, unless I know them very well. Thanks to the internet, pictures of gas & oil memorabilia are more readily available then they were 10-15 years ago, thus leading to the ever growing repro market.

There were many comments made in Bob's original post and the comment made about "Collectors who have hundreds of years of Experience who have walked away", this comment applies to me, in that I do not post very often. I for one DO NOT LIKE ALL THE NAME CALLING & CONTINUOUS BICKERING THAT TAKES PLACE ON THIS SITE ON A REGULAR BASIS! This is how most of the long term collectors I talk to feel about this site. For those of us that have been collecting for many years, we didn't have a site like this to gather information, we went to shows and talked face-to-face with other collectors and we learned, listened and made life long relationships by doing this. With that being said, maybe I too am the dinosaur you described. I like personal interaction, not sitting behind a keyboard. I like seeing this stuff up close and attending the various shows. Old fashion, maybe, but the friendships I have made in the last 27 years are invaluable.

Oldgas.com and its various Forums will continue, but some of us will be more selective in the topics we read and join in on.
Posted By: bustermonty Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 02:16 PM
Showcase forum is probably my favorite spot on Oldgas. I don't care if you are a newbie with barn hangers and a couple of common quarts and oilers or a seasoned collector showing some true gems. I love it all. Repopers have slowed the posting of rare items and that's a shame but a sad reality. This is like TV or radio. If you don't like it change the channel.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 03:20 PM
What are all of ya gonna do when Jim get's Really Tired of all this BICKERING & SHUTS DOWN OLDGAS?
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 03:31 PM
Originally Posted By: bustermonty
Showcase forum is probably my favorite spot on Oldgas. I don't care if you are a newbie with barn hangers and a couple of common quarts and oilers or a seasoned collector showing some true gems. I love it all. Repopers have slowed the posting of rare items and that's a shame but a sad reality. This is like TV or radio. If you don't like it change the channel.

Me too Greg! I love it all!
Posted By: PLUM_72 Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 03:44 PM
I have been a member for several years; however my activity on the site varies greatly and is often dependent on my project or interest of the day. I may be one of the younger members being in my 40’s. Most of this gas stuff was history before I was born. Yet my fascination with muscle cars and memorabilia of the era has brought me here. My small collection of gas items has some original and some reproductions. What I do have provides a bit of joy each day I pass my collection.

People collect because they have an emotional attachment to an object. The things people collect are as different as the people that have the collections. Be it an oil can from the 1930’s, an ice scraper from the 50’s, or a reproduction item; they are all items that someone has developed a bond with that perhaps triggers a good memory.

The arguments may start because people have this special bond with their collection and can’t help but feel frustrated that others don’t appreciate it as much as they do. The point here is why criticize, if someone posts a photo of a reproduction sign or a rare high dollar sign, enjoy it. If it bugs you, click past it. Keep the showcase a showcase of photos and not opinions. There are other places to debate a topic or an item. While the item someone posts may not be anything you’re interested in collecting, it gives someone some joy. It may also make you a more rounded person knowing that the item exists and someone is trying to preserve a little bit of the past.

Just my two cents...
Posted By: Old Iron Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 04:20 PM
Hi Bob,

You do seem to have a talent for posting topics that generate extended discussions so to speak.Personally,I think it is a good thing to "clear the air"around here once in awhile so that we can all move forward in enjoying the aspects of the hobby that appeal to each of us the most.

I do believe that you,as do I,have a real dedication to the hobby in general and OLDGAS in particular.The hobby is changing,and it is going to continue to do so IMO.I think discussions such as this are a necessary part of understanding the hobby we all love and how we choose to participate in it.

Wendell
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 04:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
What are all of ya gonna do when Jim get's Really Tired of all this BICKERING & SHUTS DOWN OLDGAS?

LOL
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 05:38 PM
Maybe a "Originals Showcase" and a "Fantasy/Repro Showcase" and a "Worn but Tasty Showcase" if the mods would be so inclined to think about stuff like that.
Posted By: Rust and Dust Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 08:10 PM
Lets start a web site about old gas station stuff. And on there we can post pictures and stories about gas pumps, signs, oil cans. Gas stations, lubsters and pump plates. It will be awesome sure there will be collectors at all levels. Guys who think plastic signs are cool because its what the remember and then guys who remember porcelain signs. But what will be cool is that we all like petrolium stuff. Lets think of a word to sum up this type of collecting "petrolia, no gasolina no oiliana no thats not it either. Petroliana thats it! We will all be collectors of petroliana and we can all show and talk history and tips, and everything in between. Pictures of stuff weve never seen before it will be awesome.
Hold on wait someone did that already!!!!!!! Dang i wish i had known ive been sitting home thinking i was the only one that liked this stuff. I always complain to my wife about how theres no one to share my collection with. Im gonna find that web site now and meet people like myself because thats gonna be awesome. Now my friends wont have to be bleeding from the ears about an oil
Can anymore.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Is this what you want Oldgas to be? - Wed Jan 23 2013 08:36 PM
Enough!

It is the conflicts, complaining and bickering that runs people off or curtails their participation. If you don't like that certain people like things that you don't like, just click on the next topic. Or report a problem to the moderators by clicking on the "Notify" button in the post.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk