Difference between rust and patina?

Posted by: Bbburke

Difference between rust and patina? - Sat Jan 25 2014 10:05 PM

It has always been my understanding patina was what developed on brass or copper after being exsposed to water. The Statue of Liberties green color is the perfect example I think everyone has seen. The green oxidation build up. I hear patina used alot to desrcibe rusting on signs and metal objects all the time. Is this just a way to "church up"rust or is their a difference? I would like to hear as many facts or opinions on this subject as possible.
Posted by: gasoildude

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sat Jan 25 2014 10:14 PM

When something painted or that has a factory finish shows age or wear on that "factory" finish thats what I call patina.
Posted by: K W FRITH

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sat Jan 25 2014 10:15 PM

Brian--I believe the word "patina" has sort of evolved to mean a finish created by nature and the elements and not easily duplicated or impossible to duplicate by man. A finish that is highly desireable, as it compliments the age and use of the object applied to!
Posted by: Dave's Garage

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sat Jan 25 2014 10:22 PM

It's a slang term used by pickers and flippers. Lately, it has evolved into a word used to describe beat up items. The use of the word "Patina" somehow magically adds value & desirability to these often rough items.
Posted by: Dick Bennett

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sat Jan 25 2014 10:27 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina

Not as abused as OLD or COLLECTABLE on ebay.

KW is OLD PATENIA [Crusty, Rusty, Repaired & Re-married; a finish created by nature and the elements and not easily duplicated or impossible to duplicate by man.]

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sat Jan 25 2014 10:28 PM

I agree Kevin. Being from Kentucky. Patina is just the way most people pronounce Rick Patinos last name. So we might have to add that to the defeinition that has evolved as well. There was a good post on the Texaco Globe thread that explained alot as well.

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sat Jan 25 2014 10:30 PM

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...true#Post387779
Posted by: Loyd Pierce

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sat Jan 25 2014 11:33 PM

I think you have it right.

Patina is what happens to brass ,cooper.

Rust is just that rust. We have a saying here due to our humidity levels. Rust never sleeps.
Posted by: dodgeman60

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sun Jan 26 2014 06:35 AM

Im with dave on this subject, just another word to add value to an item.
Posted by: carolinaskies

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sun Jan 26 2014 06:50 AM

Patina vs rust.... rust people don't pay for, patina they do.. :;

Patina is supposed to add character, ageing, or help define the effect of a piece, whether one is talking about an artist applying a complimentary finish to a sculpture or mother nature using sunlight, other elements, and time to create results not easily duplicated.

Dealing with a lot of rusty/crusty signs, I find that non-wound-up collectors like to see some "honest" patina on a piece as proof of age, durability, and veracity.

Here's a good example of honest patina... applied lovingly by mother nature.

Posted by: JimT

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sun Jan 26 2014 08:10 AM

IMO Patina is the effects of age on any object- by Mother nature and Father time. Doesnt matter if its rust, tarnish, verdigris, the darkening of a finish on furniture-whatever. It's not related to just ferous or non-ferous metals. Even pottery and artwork. One thing for sure, its not specifically just related to copper, brass or bronze. Damage by humans is another thing altogether.
Posted by: It's for sale

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sun Jan 26 2014 10:18 AM

Natural aging
Posted by: Big B1

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sun Jan 26 2014 10:35 AM

I guess I am well Patined, or is it pickled
Posted by: Gasman84470

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sun Jan 26 2014 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Loyd Pierce
I think you have it right.

Patina is what happens to brass ,cooper.

Rust is just that rust. We have a saying here due to our humidity levels. Rust never sleeps.

And I thought Neil young was responsible for that expression!:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0YFJvWmoes
Posted by: bppierce

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sun Jan 26 2014 11:34 AM

The correct word for brass, copper or bronze turning green in verdigris. If you care to know the why's or how's, that can be looked up.

Verdigris is patina, which is the natural weathering process. That's not to say that patina is is limited to brass or copper. From my understanding, patina is the natural weathering process on anything, from your skin to metal to paint, etc.
Posted by: 60wayne

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sun Jan 26 2014 11:46 AM

Here are two items that I specifically purchased because of the patina. With the weather vane, to me the patina has turned it into folk art.

The Dutch Cleanser sign should be cobalt blue, but after many years in a creak, you have patina.

Patina is in the eye of the beholder.

Look at the controversy caused by the cleaning of the Sistine Chapel in Rome. I was fortunate enough to see it in the beginning stages of the restoration.

Can you imagine if our country decided one day to polish up the Statue of Liberty . Patina is in the eye of the beholder.
Posted by: Midwest Oil

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sun Jan 26 2014 01:26 PM

Rust is on another persons signs , Patina is on signs you own wink
Posted by: Oldgas

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sun Jan 26 2014 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Midwest Oil
Rust is on another persons signs , Patina is on signs you own wink

laugh
Posted by: oldnfuelish

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sun Jan 26 2014 01:51 PM

Patina

Rust

Posted by: carolinaskies

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sun Jan 26 2014 01:56 PM

LOL... nice examples

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sun Jan 26 2014 02:14 PM

I guess I understood what people were considering patina after all. Sorry guys, all the instances of so called "patina" have been rust. Maybe not a severe case of rusting, but some stage or degree of it. Patina seems like just away of using a word that is less taboo in the sale of an item. I dont disagree that lesser degrees of rust can help a sale, prove age, and is appealing in looks to some. I think Kevin said it best when he said this is what the definition has evolved into. It does have its place as long as everyone is knowledgeable enough to know the difference between what some people declare patina and some declare rust. If I walked up to a metal pole in the park and I pointed to a minor spot of brown thats running down the pole. Then I asked you to tell me what that brown stuff was. You would say its rust, not patina. So, im not sure how that can be different on a sign.
Posted by: Vermonter

Re: Difference between rust and patina? - Sun Jan 26 2014 05:44 PM

I am rusted. On the other hand, my wife has a nice patina.