Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Sat Nov 15 2003 11:07 PM
Here are a few photos of the Texaco Marine Sign that they reproduced. The First one is of the complete sign, the second/third photos, show smaller boats on that sign. One of the ways you can tell if they are repro or not, is that you will be able to read the numbers and names on these boats. Maybe someone with a real sign, will show photos of originals?

If anyone has more or better info on this sign, please post it.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Sat Nov 15 2003 11:23 PM
GREAT PHOTOS DOC!! that camara is nice good close ups , for years a couple of those signs hung down at our local marina, the last I seen them was about 1991, I wish I knew were they went , OH Well
Posted By: dodogas Re: Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Sat Nov 15 2003 11:47 PM
I would be down there asking in case; They are still there, they sunk them in the water( worth diving for), or an employee took them home. Think of the $$$$$$ signs the employee would see when you offer him 125.00 each if they are nice. Tell him they are for Christmas for your uncle in Alaska that collects outboards. He might go easy if he thinks you are giving them away...UNLESS he knows what they are worth..lOL

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>> I got the western Canada Mercury outboard rep looking out for marine signs, but nothing yet..dodogas
Posted By: pumpman2 Re: Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Sun Nov 16 2003 02:56 AM
Camera takes great pics Doc.Happy birthday.
---JERRY

------------------
Posted By: rext@worldnet.att.net Re: Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Sun Nov 16 2003 04:08 AM
Thanks for the info & photos Don.The first time I saw this sign was in 1996 at a auction I got in a bidding war,I lost,thank God.I saw the winner later he said he shipped the sign to Texas & made $1000.00 on it.It was a repop.Rex

------------------
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Sun Nov 16 2003 10:49 AM
Don't the originals have a white border T ?
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Sun Nov 16 2003 11:04 AM
I thought originals had the white border T. Are those being repopped too?

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 11-16-2003).]
Posted By: huskybob Re: Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Mon Nov 17 2003 10:16 AM
There is a farmer around here who has one of what I think is an original hanging on the outside of a building.. I told him he had better keep it inside cause I thought it was worth some $$$..... just how much is one of those worth with some chipping around the edges.
bob
Posted By: dodogas Re: Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Mon Nov 17 2003 02:56 PM
800 plus
Posted By: 41150 Re: Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Mon Nov 17 2003 05:56 PM
This is an original dated 1936 and belongs to a friend. I can't take another picture right now. Ted
Posted By: huskybob Re: Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Wed Nov 19 2003 03:38 PM
Thanks for the info dodo.
bob
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Fri Jan 16 2004 06:09 PM

Ok, here is a close up of the two smaller boats on an "ORIGINAL" sign. Notice how you can read the name "Suzanne" on one and "Z-16" on the little race boat. Now go back to my first post and look at the same two boats on the "REPRODUCTION" sign. You are not able to actually read the names on those boats. Keep this in mind when you are trying to buy a Texaco Marine sign.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: buytex Re: Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Fri Jan 16 2004 06:17 PM
good dective work doc but the repops still fool so many people thats why that sign has
a hard time hitting 2k before the repops
this sign would hit 25 all the time
Posted By: ss454elcamino5 Re: Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Sun Jan 18 2004 03:32 AM
Big thanks you Don, neat to see the real goods if you will.
Posted By: maxamillion Re: Repro Texaco Marine Sign - Sat Jan 31 2004 02:49 AM
that is some great info,, thank you so much 4 posting. max
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk