Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 56chiefstar Lot of fake signs - Sun Apr 08 2012 01:26 AM
Lot of fake signs from same seller on ebay with statements like not sure of age, seems to be old. Example ebay #130672035203. Also a Green streak Shell sign and others. They all have faked damage to them.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Lot of fake signs - Sun Apr 08 2012 01:57 AM
Most sellers from India are selling reproduction signs with carefully worded and misleading descriptions.
Posted By: grabber Re: Lot of fake signs - Sun Apr 08 2012 02:03 AM
The majority of the fake porcelain signs that are sold on ebay are from india and on occasion from argentina ....I have seen people spend insane money on the small fake coke colonial ssp signs that come from over there...I have called ebay and tried to explain to them how they give crooks a marketplace to peddle their signs ...thus far ebay has done nada...maybe if enough people called ebay and ranted they would so something. I had heard there were "experts" that were accredited by ebay that could stop fraudulent auctions...not sure if that was/is true...
Posted By: ciawarrior Re: Lot of fake signs - Sun Jul 01 2012 11:12 PM
Sorry, but why would you buy anything off Ebay from INdia
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: Lot of fake signs - Sun Jul 01 2012 11:30 PM
Makes you wonder why india repoppers would pluck these 2 regional indiana signs out of the masses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130718886491?redirect=mobile

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-VINTAGE-VITR...=item3cc7ce4505

Heres a link to someone selling repoops with same regional sign

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-ORIGINAL-PUR...=item27c85d1d97
Posted By: JimT Re: Lot of fake signs - Mon Jul 02 2012 01:28 AM
Looks to me like maybe you found the "coach" or idea man.
Posted By: bustermonty Re: Lot of fake signs - Mon Jul 02 2012 11:57 AM
Monticello Indiana is not far from Lafayette. Known group of repoppers from this area. Probably cheaper to contract an Indian maker. I think Jim is probably correct.
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Lot of fake signs - Mon Jul 02 2012 02:58 PM
bigger problem is honest people buy them and then honest people not knowing any better sell them to the US market and Canada... really hard to stop this stuff from happening..education, education, education... if our going to be in the signs market you need to be educated big time..
Posted By: Rick Brown Re: Lot of fake signs - Tue Jul 03 2012 05:03 PM
Famous quote from one of the well know experts in the sign collecting field: "Tell me, did I buy yet another repop sign?"
Posted By: bustermonty Re: Lot of fake signs - Tue Jul 03 2012 05:36 PM
Used the repop quote many times. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. I'm not not an expert that's for sure. I'm on the learning curve trying not to get burned. Gotten a little farther through the curve with the help of the repop post that's for sure.
Posted By: Bud Miley Re: Lot of fake signs - Tue Jul 03 2012 11:54 PM
Just a FYI. 1 seller Jeff something..from Texas on the ebay has about a dozen diff names selling fake door pushes, hood ornaments and small signs. Private auctions.

Easy to spot him as he always has fake fire king mugs along with them. Heres a couple names he has funwithyumyum, lantysjet ,jusstuff,cooldishes, alildumdum and texasrevival. Wife collects fire king mugs and read about him on a website.
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Lot of fake signs - Wed Jul 04 2012 06:54 PM
Its amazing one seller from india has got 4 negative feedback in the past couple of months and they all seem to magically disappear all feedback related to signs being fake!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk