Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 89sheepdog website that helps you spot a fake sign - Fri Apr 18 2014 11:02 PM
Hey guys I am new to collecting and the old gas forum, I was just wondering if there were any sites or guides that could hep you distinguish real and fake signs? Thanks!
Posted By: advertologist Re: website that helps you spot a fake sign - Fri Apr 18 2014 11:05 PM
welcome to oldgas.. cool
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: website that helps you spot a fake sign - Sat Apr 19 2014 01:09 AM
Originally Posted By: advertologist
welcome to oldgas.. cool

Thanks Randy, I was looking for like a guide or blog that explains where the holes should be proper shapes of letters etc...
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: website that helps you spot a fake sign - Sat Apr 19 2014 01:11 AM
for instance I have this sign, how can I tell if its fake or not?
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: website that helps you spot a fake sign - Sat Apr 19 2014 11:29 AM
unfortunately there is NO quick and easy way to identify repro's. It takes years of hands on and personal research to "Help" in determining if a sign is real or not. such information cannot just simply be put into print. Beware out there.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: website that helps you spot a fake sign - Sat Apr 19 2014 12:58 PM
Your best possible source for such information may be right here. I've only been in the hobby for 2 years, and between my own postings asking about fakes, and the hundreds of others asking about fakes, you learn a lot right here. It's not hands on but that can only be gotten through shows, flea markets, retail antique stores... it will take time.
One of the first lessons is this, if buying on eBay and it says, India or Argentina or..... Stay away!!
Be cautious as you start out. It's better to error on the side of caution. I remember the first summer I was in this hobby. I was at a large flea market and a guy had a Texaco Lubester plate. I just didn't' know, so I walked. Looking back now I believe it was real and it would have been a good buy. But then, my naive eyes just weren't sure. You don't want to waste money. Be patient. Get some experience.
As for your Esso sign, I have no idea. But that sloppy looking lettering along the bottom screams India to me. But I've never seen an original of this sign so maybe they were like that. I dont know.
Good luck and welcome to Oldgas!!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: website that helps you spot a fake sign - Sat Apr 19 2014 04:56 PM
Even here, we walk a fine line between helping collectors spot unmarked repros and unwittingly helping the repro crooks to make better items with more correct details.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: website that helps you spot a fake sign - Mon Apr 21 2014 02:23 AM
Welcome to Oldgas.com! I'm with Steve on the Esso flange you posted...doesn't look good to me.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: website that helps you spot a fake sign - Mon Apr 21 2014 03:07 PM
...only two mounting holes on the flange? that's a red flag, IMO...
Posted By: BryceG Re: website that helps you spot a fake sign - Mon Apr 21 2014 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...only two mounting holes on the flange? that's a red flag, IMO...

first thing I noticed as well...

I personally never even look at any Esso elephant advertisement piece... they seem to be one of the most abundant india/argentina repops.
Posted By: 89sheepdog Re: website that helps you spot a fake sign - Tue Apr 22 2014 03:23 PM
thanks steve you were very helpful
Posted By: Markymark63 Re: website that helps you spot a fake sign - Sat May 03 2014 04:15 AM
Uh oh, I just bought 3 signs from Argentina. The seller goes by:elgranescaparate why am I swallowing hard right now? Has anyone heard of this guy? Thanks
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk