Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Catauladave #608698 Thu Apr 16 2015 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In my opinion, having people show up at the house to buy stuff is not a good idea unless the widow is up on the prices and making deals. How much did he have, how many different people would be calling and knocking on the door to look and try to talk her down on stuff? Maybe they would buy two things and steal three. An auction would work, after the 10% sellers premium, or more? And how many people would want the widow to ship an item, after she got a shipping price to some zip code? I would assume a trusted family friend got the collection, or most of it? Maybe that person paid a fair price, maybe they ripped her off? Who knows? I would again assume, Dicks wife made a decision about what to do with it and that's that. I missed out on a lot of stuff, its part of the hobby. In the end, if she is happy, that's all that really matters?

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Wes Maxwell #608701 Thu Apr 16 2015 09:10 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I can attest to the time and patience needed to sell a collection I have a friend who passed a year and a half ago the family asked me to help sell the collection and although much has been sold I still have a lot to sell for his family and his collection was nothing I'm sure compared to Mr. Bennett's but was very diverse such as a few pump's, sign's, Buddy L trucks, a bunch of pedal cars and a couple of cars he was having restored.
Now the family want's me to sell all of the household items it can be overwhelming as I'm smart enough to know that I don't know everything and to clear out something of this magnitude you have to have help from those who do and that means a lot of calls, Emails and researching to get the fair price for things you don't know about and as has been said once someone passes and clear instructions are not left it's a guessing game as to who get's what and if it's to be sold what is the price he wanted to get?
It's a lot to handle and many times I have thought what would be a better way an auction, Estate sale or what? as it's very time consuming with research on items and reading everything you can get your hands on! not to mention reaching out to others to help.
All I can say about Mr. Bennett's collection is that it went to whom ever he trusted in life or whom ever his wife trusted after his passing and that is that, end of story....

Last edited by Let er' Buck; Thu Apr 16 2015 09:13 AM.

Always looking for Frontier and Beeline items.
K W FRITH #608715 Thu Apr 16 2015 01:14 PM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Yes, My wife says that she is going to call the scrap man. Its all taken care of she believes that way.

Craig
Craig Osbeck #608729 Thu Apr 16 2015 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's tough to beat an auction or auctions for disposing of quality items.

When I'm gone my wife will just have to make three phone calls.
One call to an auctioneer that specializes in the petroliana hobby to sell my globes and signs.
The second call will be to an auctioneer to sell my tools.
The third call will be to a local auctioneer to sell whatever else is left.
My wife knows what auctioneers to call.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #608730 Thu Apr 16 2015 04:04 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I am with Bob, my wife also knows who to call.

Thanks, Phil
philmccauley #608740 Thu Apr 16 2015 05:16 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
DBs collection was sold mostly to a few guys on the west coast. Sold by a couple of his buddies that know the market. The vultures circled but did not get in.

oslosteve #608749 Thu Apr 16 2015 06:52 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think that's great news. Glad Mrs Bennett was taken care of.

Jamie Crosson
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Dick had a little numbered sticker on each item and a corresponding log for each. At least he did when he and I were good friends years ago. He was well prepared for the day.

Judy is one of the sweetest people I have ever met and I'm positive that none of his friends would ever take advantage of her.

oslosteve #608773 Thu Apr 16 2015 09:48 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I know Judy Bennett personally and I still miss my freind Richard Bennett. As far as his collection, I do know the west coast collectors stepped up to the plate and paid well for what they bought. Judy trusted a few of dick's closest freinds to help sell some of the collection and she is overwhelmed with what she has received. Judy is one of the sweetest lady you would meet, and thanks Dick's freinds for what they have done . She did decide that there were a few items she would not let go , and they now are located in dicks newly remodeled bedroom . Judy even sent a few gifts to some the old gassers because she new that is what dick would want. Judy is very thoughtfull and because of dick she has been very well taken care of.

I still miss my friend .
Thank you for the knowledge.
Thank you for the laugh's

Gene

azjockey #609305 Mon Apr 20 2015 07:43 AM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
You must not have known Dick very well, or you would know not to call him Richard!!! I called him by that name once and he chewed my *****. He said only one person could call him Richard, his Mother!!!

oslosteve #609337 Mon Apr 20 2015 01:08 PM
Originally Posted By: oslosteve
I called him by that name once and he chewed my *****. He said only one person could call him Richard, his Mother!!!

LOL, isnt that the truth! I miss talking to that grumpy ol fart, LOL. I think about him all the time.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved