Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#611863 Wed May 06 2015 06:35 PM
C
Chilton Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Planning to paint a repo aluminum one-piece globe 13.5" with Argent Silver, probably a fast-dry acrylic enamel.

Problem is I don't know if there is a universally accepted definition/description/formula for "Argent Silver". In my younger days, I was familiar with some automotive parts that were painted Argent Silver. The paint back then was not a bright silver and the aluminum powder/flakes were very small.

Car Quest paint counter gave me a formula for 1970s Argent Silver for GM wheels that had only three elements - aluminum, black and a binder. Is there more to Argent Silver than that?

I definitely do not want a bright silver paint or paint with large aluminum flakes. Would like to keep in respect of silver paints used back in the mid 50s to mid-60s. Unfortunately, Car Quest paint books didn't give paint formulas for paints of that era.

I checked the shelves of a local auto parts store today and found 15 - 20 different silvers, all looking very much alike by the cap but all with different names for cars from VW to Honda to Ford to GM. I don't want to start buying aerosol paint cans until I find the right one.

Any information or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Larry

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Chilton #611865 Wed May 06 2015 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The argent silver that you are probably looking for is what we used to call dull aluminum and is pretty close to the color of the early GM rally wheels. I don't know how many elements go in to the color. The last time I used paint that actually was called Argent Silver was for the tail light panel on my Corvair Corsa and it looks similar to the rally wheel silver. It was a base clear formula, not a single stage. I might still have a little of that paint or at least the can that would have the number on it if you're interested in that. Krylon makes a dull aluminum but it dries dull and would need to be cleared if you want it glossy. I'm sure there are better authorities on the subject than I am. Ryan and some of the other body guys should have good opinions on it....GB.

Chilton #611866 Wed May 06 2015 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Hi Larry,

Argent silver is a little challenging. I've restored a few old mustangs and they use argent silver in the grill area to accent the stainless. I've had it mixed at auto paint places and was not pleased with it. Didnt match right. Problem is argent silver has a flatness to it, it's not glossy silver by any means, it also isn't very "metallic-y".

Restoring another 'stang now and decided I needed a better argent this go around. I haven't tried it yet but I purchased "hot rod flatz urethane, argent wheel silver". The paint comes with a catalyst, should be somewhat flat, and requires no clear. Haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking it'll work as it's made special for this. This stuff needs to be sprayed, comes in pint, quarts I think.

On the label, it says "kustomshop.com, quality automotive products". I'm pretty sure I bought it via Amazon. Anyway, that's my tentative solution to argent silver.

Paul

Last edited by Paul Bell; Wed May 06 2015 07:14 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Paul Bell #611889 Thu May 07 2015 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Oh, and like GB mentions above Krylon dull aluminum spray paint is pretty close if your looking for spray cans. Eastwood makes argent silver too, haven't tried it, does come in spray cans.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Paul Bell #611892 Thu May 07 2015 03:24 AM
I use it in restoring old GM cars too. I use my local Car Quest PPG paint. It is a dull silver. Also, Spray cans are available from Ausley's Chevelle. You can do a GM paint chip search and for 1966 and it will show a color chip but it may or may not look good. Here is what I used in the past. Argent Silver number is there but not a chip in the attachment.

Ditzler 1966.JPG
MORE RUST #611893 Thu May 07 2015 03:56 AM
Larry: I restored 1970 Rally wheels with argent silver out of a can. It is a perfect match to the original GM wheels. Most of the car restoration retailers sell this. You can try OPGI.com or amesperf.com (partFT301)

ezrider7011 #611909 Thu May 07 2015 06:28 AM
C
Chilton Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hey, guys,

Thanks to all the responders. I will check out your suggestions.

Larry

Chilton #611929 Thu May 07 2015 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Krylon number for the dull aluminum is 1403. They quit making it for a while and all of the stores don't carry it but our Orielly's keeps it for me so if you have an Oreilly's they can order it for you for sure.I think I would try it before I messed with having something mixed and using gun just to paint a globe body....GB

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved