Print Thread
#612057 Fri May 08 2015 12:33 PM
S
smokey1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Does anyone have information on which gasoline pump manufacturing company this is and any history?
][/url] [url=][URL=http://s385.photobucket.com/user/smokey5bucket/media/Globes/IMG_0563_zpstmxx37zr.jpg.html][/url][/url]

Last edited by smokey1; Fri May 08 2015 12:34 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Southwest Pump Co.
Bonham, TX

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The problem with South West is they destroyed ALL of their records about 1979. I was in Bonham trying desperately to see how much I could still gather for a book I did in 1983 . The best I was able to come up with were a couple of old near retired grizzled plant managers who gave me a verbal account .

The company actually dates back to about 1917 .

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Back around 1989 when I was buying gas pumps I came across a pump with this badge on it. A quick look told me it was a Martin & Schwartz. If I had taken a closer look I would have discovered the Americas were upside down and it was actually a Southwest Model 70 pump. I didn't buy it because I already had 200 gas pumps, it was bolted down and I just didn't like its boxy look.

When I wrote the first edition of my Gas Pump Identification book I included a section where I listed over 125 companies that had made gas pumps. What information I had at the time was included. In the 2nd edition, I basically just repeated what was in the first. After the 2nd book I copied this section of the book to my website. You can read all these histories (including Southwest) by going to: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/company_histories.htm

I do have some literature on your pump, it can be seen here: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/southwest%2072.htm

An update of the above on Southwest:
Around 2000 the Tokheim Pump Company purchased Southwest. This may have been one of the mistakes Tokheim made that lead them to bankruptcy two years later. When the assets of the Tokheim Company were auctioned, the Southwest company was purchased by Dresser Wayne Inc. Not long after that Dresser Wayne moved their headquarters to Austin, Texas where they are today.

As Ed mentioned above, Southwest has always been one of hardest companies to find any information on or pictures of the pumps they sold. My 2nd Edition shows only 20 pumps made between 1924 and 1948. The 3rd Edition will show 37 pumps, mainly because I extended the cut off date to 1975.

If you are looking for information about any gas pump I suggest you go to my website: www.petrocollect.com there is over 12,000 images on this site.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Fri May 08 2015 03:11 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
S
smokey1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Excellent info. Thanks to all. Very helpful and I'll do some additional research armed with the links and helpful history.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved