Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#621453 Sun Jul 12 2015 02:27 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I have an original Red Crown globe that I would like to use on a Wayne 60. Obviously with the copper base it won't fit in the globe holder. Is there a way to get the copper base off? Is it screwed on like a Gill or press fitted on?
Thanks for the help.
Mike

Collecting Conoco, Gates Rubber & Tires, B.F. Goodrich, Cliff Brice, Vickers, Mobil, National Refining Co., Philco, Ma Bell and Pikes Peak Hill Climb!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
yep it just screws on. I would use some WD40 in there to soak through to provide some lubricity to get it off

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am not a globe guy but dont crowns have a seven inch base and most globe rings are 6?

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Wes, I think the globe itself has a 6" base and the screw-on copper base extends it to 7" So unscrew the base and it will work on the original Wayne 60 base, narrow or wide body model.
Ed.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Ed & Sean. I knew I had saw a picture of one on a 60 before and thought the glass base was 6". I just didn't want to start fiddling with it and have a problem on my hands.
Thanks for the help guys as always.
Mike

Collecting Conoco, Gates Rubber & Tires, B.F. Goodrich, Cliff Brice, Vickers, Mobil, National Refining Co., Philco, Ma Bell and Pikes Peak Hill Climb!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mike--You can always use a 6 to 7 inch adapter and your Red Crown globe will be a heck of a lot safer sitting up there on top the pump. They usually run about $50 and most pump guys have one laying around!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm not a globe expert. My understanding is, if it has a 6” glass molded flange to fit into the globe holder on a pump then it is a reproduction.

All originals have 7" bases early ones were glass then they had the threaded base with a copper collar/flange that screws on.

Here's a pic of one of my Wayne 60's with the 7" to 6" adapter on it.

rsz_7_to_6_globe_adapter-1.jpg

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Dave, As far as I know this one is original. It has the copper screw on base that screws on to the 6" threaded base. It has no glass molded flange as far as I can tell.
Mike

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Kevin. I didn't even think of that. If someone is reading this post and has a 7" to 6" adapter I would appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the help.
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mike yours is good as it has the threaded base. The reproductions have a glass flange and fit directly into a 6" globe holder.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
If you can unscrew the base , just flip it over and screw it back on . It works good without an adapter.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved