This is really a story about catching up on old projects that have been gathering dust for several years!
I bought the White Rose one piece several years ago at the Peotone auction, with the idea of experimenting on globe repairs, since it was technically in 3 pieces and had a hole in the top! After getting it here, it got pushed aside for other projects and eventually wound up in the storage area upstairs behind my globes on display! Out of sight and out of mind until this summer when we did a major cleaning in the shop. I spotted that globe and vowed to do something with it before winter!
The Wayne 851 is another project that has been sitting in my pump storage for at least 3 years, and again it was pushed aside for more pressing projects, because I intended to keep it and wasn't in a rush to finish it. When I found it, it was missing the visi, the sheet metal was crunched pretty bad, but the rest of it was all there! I have a friend that's a real whiz with metal straightening and had taken the skins to him right after I found the pump, so they had been straightened and were sitting there waiting patiently with the pump. The visi came about in a trade at Iowa gas a couple years back and everything was there and waiting!
About 2 weeks ago, I finally got the 851 out of storage and started in on it. My biggest problem was routing the piping up to the visi, so that it was tight and stable. I enlisted the help of a couple pump friends and we figured out how the plumbing would have initially been placed. The pump was pretty well done now but needed a globe!
After the assembly process was over, I couldn't decide what to use as a globe for the top, and that's when the White Rose globe came to mind.I went over and grabbed the old globe and set it up there on top the pump to see how it looked. I was convinced in an instant that this was just what it needed and just had to get after the repair!
Mind you now, that when I bought this globe, it was in pretty shaky condition. It had been "sort of" glued into one piece, but there was a hole in the top about the size of a computer mouse and green tape was on every crack to make sure it didn't all fall apart before the auction. I pulled all the tape off and checked the pieces, and sure enough, everything was loose and in less than 30 seconds, I had it laying on the bench in 3 pieces. A quick trip to town to make sure I had enough super strength epoxy, and then the preparation began. A thorough cleaning of all pieces was the first order of business and then a good dry down before any epoxy gets applied! I used enough epoxy to put one of the pieces back onto the main body and then left it alone for a couple hours before returning to install the other big chunk that was laying there. Then it was a matter of leaving it over night to really set up well and be secure.
Next morning was spent making paper forms to hold the bondo that I would use to make a form for the top. I simply used a good section of the top of the globe to make a form that I could later slide over a few inches and tape down tight against the hole in the top of the body. When everything was in place, it was a simple matter of mixing up a couple batches of epoxy and getting it into the proper spot before it started to set up. I've found that it doesn't matter if the first batch is already setting up when the second batch is being applied. You can't even see any lines or anything where the second batch went in. They just seem to melt together.
After about 15 minutes set up time, you can get the form off the top pretty easily. It helps to very slightly rub the form with pam cooking spray, and that keeps the epoxy from sticking to it. After the form is removed, there is bound to be a small bit of irregular surface from the epoxy, but if you don't wait too long, its very easy to file and shape with a rougher type file. I like to use a rough rat tail file, and it lets me take the edges off and smooths it out really nice.
I haven't been able to find a white color that matches milk glass yet, but I haven't really tried too hard either. It shouldn't be too hard to find a color that would be close enough to keep the repair spot from being blatantly obvious!
After that, I put the globe on top the 851, and I now have a finished display piece!!!
First group of pictures are the before and after of the pump, and the second group is the before and after of the globe!