Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#632747 Sat Oct 10 2015 03:33 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Hey gang, need some info on the tall shell oil bottles, the ones that are 14 3/4 inches tall, what year were these used and are they before the ones that look like mason jars or after. I think i'm going about collecting the Shell bottles in a backward way, I found the metal box that the bottles fit in at an flea market for nearly nothing, now have to fill with bottles.

thanks in advance

Rusty Nuts

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
RUSTY NUT 3 #632764 Sat Oct 10 2015 05:45 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Mason jar(mayonnaise jars)shell oil bottles are fakes.

RUSTY NUT 3 #632771 Sat Oct 10 2015 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you are interested in vintage Motor Oil Bottles; I suggest you start your research. By reading this article from Oldgas Founder Jim Potts.

The article is from 1996; But, still has very applicable information:

http://www.oldgas.com/info/oilbotle.htm

Collector's Weekly has done articles on bottle collecting:

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/petroliana/bottles

This should give you some information; I don't collect Shell Oil bottles; so I can't give you any tips on originals vs repops...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
RUSTY NUT 3 #632790 Sat Oct 10 2015 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi-- Beware of the Shell Penn tall bottles currently on ebay-- most are fake-- there at least 4 diff early Shell bottles--Shell- Shell Penn-- Golden Shell-and Golden shell 8 sided bottle-- hope this helps- thanks don

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
RUSTY NUT 3 #632803 Sun Oct 11 2015 06:41 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Don, are you referring to the ones marked Shell-Penn, MOTOR OIL, 100% Pure Pennsylvania, SHELLRETROLEUM CORPORATION. With the SHELLRETROLEUM being spelled wrong? It seems all the ones on ebay are like that. This bottle along the bottom it says "BE UP-TO-date SHELLUBRICATE"

Obviously all the non-clear glass ones are reproduction as I think I saw one in blue.

Reason I am asking is because when I bought a bunch of oil bottles in May one was like the above. I contacted Ron Throckmorton to ask the generic question if Shell tall bottles were reproduced and he said he had not seen reproduction Shell tall bottles up until that time. (As a note I took it that there may have been but he had not seen any as he did not say definitively that there were none just that he had not seen any.)

Last edited by Fueluser; Sun Oct 11 2015 09:59 AM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved