Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
Hi guys:

I have tried so hard to post pictures, but I cannot master it.

I recently removed two Wayne 400 series pumps (420's I believe)from a station. One is a single and one is a double. They are very restorable. I also removed the 8 foot long Revere island light model 4A-485. They would make a very cool island in front of a muscle car garage.

Has anyone ever seen that model island light?

In addition if anyone is willing to take a shot at helping me with a price evaluation I can e-mail pictures.

Thank you, Tom

Last edited by Oldgas; Tue Nov 17 2015 06:21 PM. Reason: edit to conform with Guidelines
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Hi Tom,

Sorry you are having trouble posting pictures. I don't see that you have used the Resize Tool that we provide to help with posting pictures.

Here is how that works:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=199328

If you have trouble, let me know how far you got and what the problem was. Click on "Contact" at the top of forum pages to send me a request for help.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you Jim:

Resizing is the issue. I will keep trying.

Tom

V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
sent you a pm

Always looking for Harris Oil!
T
OP Offline
T
Just found all of the kind messgares and offers to help. Thank you all.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Here are the pix

p1.jpg p2.jpg p3.jpg p4.jpg
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
More Pix

P5.jpg p6.jpg
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you Don for posting the pictures for me.

I cannot believe how infectious this hobby is and how many friends I have made because of it.

When I share pictures of pumps with friends not associated with the hobby, they always have their own story of the gas station down the street when they were growing up.

Thank you again.

Tom

T
OP Offline
T
The abandoned gas station the pumps came from is within a half hour of my home.

I could not figure out who owned the place. I Google searched the location for several evenings and was about to give up when my wife commented that someone had to be paying taxes on the property. After all we live in New Jersey the land of insurance and taxes. Some additional detective work and I had a name and address.

I sent a letter to the address introducing myself and my desire to purchase the pumps. I made it very clear that I would not be responsible for any environmental situations, I just wanted to purchase the pumps. Knowing that the recipient would think that I was crazy and that I would never receive a reply to my letter, I sent it off.

A few weeks later I received a phone call from a man who wanted me to purchase the gas station property. I knew that would happen...lol

Negotiations for the pumps began low, but the man was shrewd and I paid a little more that I had anticipated. I had to assure him that I would work safely and that I would cap the tanks.

He would only meet me early on a particular Sunday morning??? He was driving several hours to meet with me.

I was very nervous leading up to the removal that something large would go wrong. It was a very visible location and it was very early Sunday morning.

When I was nearly finished with the removal my son asked me how I knew this man actually owned the place? He asked if I was sure that I did not contact the wrong person? Could this man be taking advantage of the situation for profit? Now I was smiling on the outside at my son's suggestion but physically sick on the inside.

The removal went as well as I could have hoped for. The island canopy light is so very heavy when you are trying carefully lower it down. Everyone knows how heavy the gas pumps are.

So the pumps are now at my shop in my possession and I have a mixture of feelings. I had a successful treasure hunt. A successful and uneventful removal. But now I feel as though I ruined a piece of history. There sits one more rural gas station without pumps in front of it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very visible location? If you hadn't, someone else would have...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Eventual deterioration and destruction would be the fate, unless someone was taking care of the upkeep, and it sounds like the owner was too far away for that! By removing and caring for these old artifacts, we are actually preserving a part of history for the future.
In cases where the premises are being cared for, I prefer that they are left alone for all the world to enjoy, but in 98% of the cases, this is not happening.
Don't feel bad about their removal, but take care of what you have obtained, and try to put it on display for others to enjoy, even if semi privately.
Don't be surprised when other gas pumps suddenly appear and want to be restored and cared for too! It happens every time a new collector finds a pump or two! Within a short amount of time, there are several in the yard, and no one ever seems to know why! LOL
Enjoy your find and start building that display!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There was one of those canopies over a island across the street from my house. It had embossed "G"s on the ends. Does yours ? The owner trashed it. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
T
OP Offline
T
No the light does not have any marking except for Revere on one end and the model number on the other.

T
OP Offline
T
Funny you say that about the gas pumps arriving. I am already getting contacts from this guy and that. I have only been messing with pumps for less than a year. I was just given a pump because the price of metal is down. I wonder how many were lost to scrappers when the price was up?

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved